• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanted, good guide for Via de la Plata

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Infinito
Caminantes, buen dia.

Looking for an up-to-date guide for VDLP (hard copy preferred).

Buen camino, y no pares de caminar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Mister Prentiss, I have Gronze (good) and Eroski (good) in my cell phone, looking for hard copy to have it handy.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Mister AML, I have his 2015 edition, as of now Eroski is looking good, I can save each stage in pdf format for quick access on my cell phone. Buen camino, y no pares de caminar.

I was going to suggest Eroski.... There"s also a guide I bought in Sevilla, it doesn't seem to have been updated but did the job even then
http://www.viaplata.org/guia-del-camino
You can buy it in Sevilla.
Just ignore when it says 'oooh, very very difficult stage...' Had me in fits at the start of the day. No, it's all ok. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Miss D thanks for the link. Actually those "difficult" stages are character builders, I smile at them and move on. No pares de caminar.

Caminantes, buen dia.

There's a guide published by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla.

http://www.viaplata.org/guia-del-camino

I've used the guide on two walks on the VDLP, and it was all that I needed.
That said, there's not a lot of info on accommodation in the guide, but you can usually get info on albergues and pensions for the next night in the place you are staying that night. For example, the Albergue in El Cubo has info on Zamora, ad so forth.

Mister David, welcome aboard, your first post! Muchas gracias for the information on the guide and albergues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
I have just walked the section from Seville to Salamanca and Gerald Kelly’s book is excellent. Hard copy can be purchased through Ivar.
Gerald will also provide digital version.
I used his book in conjunction with Gronze which has more accomodation details and shows the stage maps in a very readable format.
Buen Camino
Happymark

Mister Mark thanks for the recommendation on GK's book, I have the 2015 version. Oh, if you are in gorgeous Brisbane, I ran the Australia Day 10k Run in Brisbane in 2006, this was my last race as a member of the US Navy, very competitive race, one of the top finishers in my age group. Brisbane, my last port visit in Australia, good place, good people. Muchas gracias, no pares de caminar.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Miss H, thanks for the recommendation and link to the Albergue de Peregrinos guide. Muchas gracias, no pares de caminar.

Caminantes, buen dia.

Try the "Walking Guide to the Vía de la Plata and the Camino Sanabrés" wrote by Gerald Kelly.
Using that you can decide to walk to Astorga or along the Sanabrés.
It's a good guide.
Buen Camino

Mister Flem, thanks for the recommendation, I have the 2015 edition and I will check the latest copy of GK's guide. No pares de caminar!

Miss H, thanks for the link to your blog, good one, I like your albergues "grading system" ! No pares de caminar!

Mister Flem, thanks for the recommendation, I have the 2015 edition and I will check the latest copy of GK's guide. No pares de caminar!
Ok Sailor
I have them both and there is'nt that much changes

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Mister Flem, is that's the case then I will use my copy of GK's guide plus the Eroski and Gonze as needed. Muchas gracias, y no pares de caminar.

IMHO this is the one camino that does need further research and production of a Brierley style guide (if one wants a guide in full colour) About 12/13 or more years ago Alison Raju did write such a guide which was very well received. Sadly that book is now not only out of print its totally out of date. Her publishers did start "promising" a revised/update edition going back more than 5 years but it has never eventuated.
I have read one of Kelly's books and consider him a good writer. In the 2018 edition he advises that he re-walked in 2016 to check facts etc. So until something or someone new comes along I have to agree that a combo of Kelly & one of the online guides is the best option. Buen Camino;)

Thank you Mister Mike, I will use what I have available if I decide to walk this route. Gracias, y no pares de caminar.

IMHO this is the one camino that does need further research and production of a Brierley style guide (if one wants a guide in full colour) About 12/13 or more years ago Alison Raju did write such a guide which was very well received. Sadly that book is now not only out of print its totally out of date. Her publishers did start "promising" a revised/update edition going back more than 5 years but it has never eventuated.
I have read one of Kelly's books and consider him a good writer. In the 2018 edition he advises that he re-walked in 2016 to check facts etc. So until something or someone new comes along I have to agree that a combo of Kelly & one of the online guides is the best option. Buen Camino;)
Just an update; Been waiting many years for the new Cicerone/Alison Raju VdlP Guide. Was due (this time...) Feb 2019. After contacting Cicerone, they now expect it to be published 2020...but won't indicate a month. I'm not holding my breath...Gerald Kelly it is! 😊

Hola @kazrobbo gee its good to know that Cicerone are keeping up with their almost empty promises. Cheers
One of the (many) delays in the publishing of the VdlP Cicerone guide actually worked in my favour....
Turned out Alison Raju was compiling a new guidebook for St Olav's Way (Pilgrim Road to Trondheim) through a Norwegian museum...& that was the trail I was doing at the time. However, that was 2016...& now we're looking at 2020...too late for me! 😄

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back