• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanted: Running partner for Camino Frances-Late April/Early

NT-OZ

Hi folks

N.T from Australia here.

I'm looking for a partner to run the Camino Frances. Is anyone training for it/interested?

I had initially planned to just walk it, but St Frances appeared to me in a dream ( :p ) and suggested I run instead of walk it. No, I'm not delusional, or even religious. Just feel like a challenge.

Hoping to start at SJPP from very late April or very early May this year, ie. in 3-4 weeks. Please msg be back on this forum if you are interested.

Good luck everyone.

N.T

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
NT-OZ said:
but St Frances appeared to me in a dream ( ) and suggested I run instead of walk it.

You might consider an exorcism before committing to this course of action, my friend. A couple weeks into my Camino trek I encountered a fit but tired-looking Scotsman at a cafe whose feet were swathed in bandages. He had also tried to run the Way, but it quickly defeated him.

He said that at first the speed was quite euphoric, but soon the fast pace took its toll and pounded his feet into hamburger. He was forced to stop at a village to heal up, and a couple of days later a woman he had zoomed by on the trail recognized him and paused for a chat. She pulled out her digital camera and began clicking through pictures she'd taken on the Way.

As they looked through the photos she would ask, "do you remember this place, or that person?" He confessed that it was all a blank. He told us of the epiphany he'd had at that moment: "Here I am on an ancient, famous pilgrimage trail, and I couldn't recall anything about it. I might as well have been running a road back home."

After that he decided to take it slow, spend some time in contemplation, and truly experience what the Camino had to offer. He hadn't been able to walk very far at that point, but he was enjoying the Way much more at a walking pace. I left him looking content in the company of some pilgrims he'd become acquainted with.

Anyway, just a cautionary tale to consider before you dash out and buy some new scallop shell running shoes...buen Camino! :arrow:

VT

Well, if it's Saint Francis calling you, you should probably rather run to Assisi...

The power of the Camino is the silence, the confrontation with yourself, beauty of nature, strong emotions, meeting people, be open for spirituality (whether you are a believer or not!).
It is not a Marathon, a sports' competition.
Take your time, find your rhythm and feel the things - then your way will be best.

Fatma

PS I am trying to imagine someone running uphill the Pyrenees - what a great picture!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
FatmaG said:
PS I am trying to imagine someone running uphill the Pyrenees - what a great picture!!!

Actually many people do that sort of thing very well. I think it would be a great run, for the experienced mountain runner.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I dont understand people being against people who want to run or walk quickly, running is a very popular pastime. I wouldnt ride a horse or cycle as things do pass too quickly but even if u run you will still have plenty of time to chat or have a drink with fellow pilgrims

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
NT, buen camino on your "running" pilgrimage. I have just finished 390 km run/hike across the mountains of Mindanao in 9 days. I will run/hike the Camino this July-August. I would suggest that you mix hiking and running rather than pure running. This is the method I used: on flat/level roads I combine running and walking (run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute intervals -Galloway method), on uphills just walk don't run, on down hills you can run but take some walking breaks. When it gets too hot, just walk. You can meditate and pray while running and hiking. It is the running that brings ecstasy and joy (but too much of it can cause a lot blisters and knee pain), it is the hiking that can make your recover and ensure that you will continue your journey. So the best formula is to combine running and hiking. There will be recovery days when you will just walk gently and avoid running to give your running muscles a break.

Hello,
I saw your add for running the way.
I am actually planning to half run and walk the GR 11 from Puigecrda to the Atlantico, strating around the 30th of May.
Perhaps you might be interested?
It should take around 20-23 days.
Cheers,
Emilie

NT-OZ has not visited the Forum for over two years. You may need to find a different running partner! :mrgreen:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back