• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanted trekking poles

Fatty Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
France
Hi
Is anyone finishing around September 17th that wants to get rid of a set of walking poles instead of checking them in their luggage, I should be finishing the Portuguese about that time and I have a friend meeting me to walk the Inglese that is looking for a set of trekking poles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When you or your friend arrive at Santiago, head over to the Pilgrim House, #19 Rua Nova. They usually have a quite a supply of assorted trekking poles, abandoned by their previous owners. They are closed on Sunday and Wednesday, but open other days from 11:00 to 20:00.

When I was working at the pilgrim office this past July - August, they actually asked me to stop bringing more trekking poles as their donativo box was full. Instead, I reverted to only bringing them the best quality poles, that were still functional.

At the Pilgrim Office, there is a green and yellow box in one corner of the courtyard where pilgrims are requested to deposit their no longer needed or wanted wooden walking staffs. This keeps the courtyard neater.

Eventually, a local charity retrieves these wooden poles to be cut down for wood stove kindling. Yes, there are still some old homes in and around Santiago that still use wood for cooking or heating.

But, you would not believe the higher quality poles that people abandon here. One of my daily duties was to triage this stash, removing the steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber hiking poles, as well as the metal tipped wooden staffs many pilgrims buy along the way.

The metal tipped, store-bought wooden poles were placed to one side as many pilgrims seek these are continuing on to Finisterre or elsewhere. Instead of having them rummage through the sometimes large pile, I separated the best wooden staffs out. I have no idea what they do about this when I am not there.

The modern poles are evaluated by me. The "crap quality" poles go directly into recycling, adjacent to the trash. This includes most of the souvenir shop "anti-shock" heavy, noisy poles. The functional, best-quality poles are carried over to the Pilgrim House by me, so they can be placed into donativo exchange and returned to service.

The least good among this group would be anything sold by Decathlon. But, Decathlon sell poles are varying price points. Some are better than others. But, I tested all to ensure they adjusted properly before repurposing them.

I scavenged Leki, Elementerre, and Black Diamond poles daily, at least while I was there. Frankly, I was surprised by the quality of some of what people just placed in the bin, or leaned against the large trash container in the courtyard.

On my regular trips across the courtyard and in the front of the building, I regularly picked up evidently abandoned poles for recycling, one way or another. However, hiking poles found inside the building proper, like in front of the processing counter, were usually kept for a few days to see if someone came back looking for them. Pilgrims rarely did. But, we did wait before recycling those poles.

So, if you find a decent pair of poles at Pilgrim House, test them to make sure they adjust properly. I believe that they will tell you you are welcome to the trekking poles.

HOWEVER, please do remember that the Pilgrim House operates on a donativo basis. Ask about this, and do be generous. Tell them I sent you...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
When you or your friend arrive at Santiago, head over to the Pilgrim House, #19 Rua Nova. They usually have a quite a supply of assorted trekking poles, abandoned by their previous owners. They are closed on Sunday and Wednesday, but open other days from 11:00 to 20:00.

When I was working at the pilgrim office this past July - August, they actually asked me to stop bringing more trekking poles as their donativo box was full. Instead, I reverted to only bringing them the best quality poles, that were still functional.

At the Pilgrim Office, there is a green and yellow box in one corner of the courtyard where pilgrims are requested to deposit their no longer needed or wanted wooden walking staffs. This keeps the courtyard neater.

Eventually, a local charity retrieves these wooden poles to be cut down for wood stove kindling. Yes, there are still some old homes in and around Santiago that still use wood for cooking or heating.

But, you would not believe the higher quality poles that people abandon here. One of my daily duties was to triage this stash, removing the steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber hiking poles, as well as the metal tipped wooden staffs many pilgrims buy along the way.

The metal tipped, store-bought wooden poles were placed to one side as many pilgrims seek these are continuing on to Finisterre or elsewhere. Instead of having them rummage through the sometimes large pile, I separated the best wooden staffs out. I have no idea what they do about this when I am not there.

The modern poles are evaluated by me. The "crap quality" poles go directly into recycling, adjacent to the trash. This includes most of the souvenir shop "anti-shock" heavy, noisy poles. The functional, best-quality poles are carried over to the Pilgrim House by me, so they can be placed into donativo exchange and returned to service.

The least good among this group would be anything sold by Decathlon. Burt, Decathlon sell poles are varying price points. Some are better than others. But, I tested all to ensure they adjusted properly before repurposing them.

I scavenged Leki, Elementerre, and Black Diamond poles daily, at least while I was there. Frankly, I was surprised by the quality of some of what people just placed in the bin, or leaned against the large trash container in the courtyard.

On my regular trips across the courtyard and in the front of the building, I regularly picked up evidently abandoned poles for recycling, one way or another. However, hiking poles found inside the building proper, like in front of the processing counter, were usually kept for a few days to see if someone came back looking for them. Pilgrims rarely did. But, we did wait before recycling those poles.

So, if you find a decent pair of poles at Pilgrim House, test them to make sure they adjust properly. I believe that they will tell you you are welcome to the trekking poles.

HOWEVER, please do remember that the Pilgrim House operates on a donativo basis. Ask about this, and do be generous. Tell them I sent you...

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much will definitely leave a donation

Wow, wish I could get a pair to Pamplona on 19 September! Don't you know of something similar in Pamplona?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow, wish I could get a pair to Pamplona on 19 September! Don't you know of something similar in Pamplona?

The reason they are available in Santiago is that folks have completed their Camino and do not care to take/ship them home and are leaving them behind.
In Pamplona and other places....pilgrims are just starting and are using the poles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back