• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanting a warm beach at end of Camino early July

Jenn

Time of past OR future Camino
First time planning
Just 5 days till I fly from Australia to Madrid (solo) for my first Camino from Astorga. Excitement and anxiety in equal measure. Would love some recommendations for what beach is best for some gorgeous recuperation at the end of the Camino, before returning to winter. Had considered Finisterre but surprised at the mild temperatures even in early July. There seems to be quite different weather if I travel by bus an extra hour south... And very warm sun, beautiful beach, village atmosphere and great seafood are all important to me for these few recovery days.
Many thanks for sharing ideas, jenn :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The whole Ria Baixas area is beautiful and if the weather is good well worth staying there. The Rias Baixas are all a little South of Finisterre and have some of the best wine and seafood in Spain. Percebes :)

Perhaps somewhere like O Grove or the Illa da Toxa (La Toja as it was and the Gran Hotel was an old word charmer but it is many years since I stayed there).

Pontevedra is the local city and worth wondering about but after the Camino you may have had enough walking.

But anywhere on the North West coast of Spain is not guaranteed sun and warmth even in July.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just 5 days till I fly from Australia to Madrid (solo) for my first Camino from Astorga. Excitement and anxiety in equal measure. Would love some recommendations for what beach is best for some gorgeous recuperation at the end of the Camino, before returning to winter. Had considered Finisterre but surprised at the mild temperatures even in early July. There seems to be quite different weather if I travel by bus an extra hour south... And very warm sun, beautiful beach, village atmosphere and great seafood are all important to me for these few recovery days.
Anywhere south of Lisbon or south coast of Spain. I loved my stay in Valencia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And don't forget the temperature of the seawater!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
La Lanzada beach - sometimes the sun does come out in Galicia. :cool:

a%20lanzada_zpswfawouec.jpg

Hi Jenn, From one Australian to another the water is way to cold in the North of Spain. I could never swim in it. The beaches are diferent than Australian beaches but the water is lovely and so blue on the Mediterranean side of Spain. Lorett Da Mar north of Barcelona is lovely. Valencia is nice but a long way to the water like Santa Monica in California.
If I was you I would go to Barcelona and stay in BARCELONETA That way you have everything. A nice warm beach to swim and the wonderful city of Barcelona with its amazing buildings. I guess it depends on what Airport you are flying home from. Have a wonderful walk. You will love it.

Hi Jenn, From one Australian to another the water is way to cold in the North of Spain. I could never swim in it. The beaches are diferent than Australian beaches but the water is lovely and so blue on the Mediterranean side of Spain. Lorett Da Mar north of Barcelona is lovely. Valencia is nice but a long way to the water like Santa Monica in California.
If I was you I would go to Barcelona and stay in BARCELONETA That way you have everything. A nice warm beach to swim and the wonderful city of Barcelona with its amazing buildings. I guess it depends on what Airport you are flying home from. Have a wonderful walk. You will love it.

Jenn
I hope you come back and tell us where you end up, whether beach or even the location .
All great options given on this thread. There are so many destinations to check out in Spain and Portugal if you haven't been before. Up north too. San Sebastián might get you interested in the northern route for next time. I'm sure it will be warm relaxing on the beach in July there ! Even if the water temp isn't the greatest? The med side would be gorgeous but you'll have to check logistics to your departure airport in Spain.

Have a great walk. Buen Camino
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jenn
I hope you come back and tell us where you end up, whether beach or even the location .
All great options given on this thread. There are so many destinations to check out in Spain and Portugal if you haven't been before. Up north too. San Sebastián might get you interested in the northern route for next time. I'm sure it will be warm relaxing on the beach in July there ! Even if the water temp isn't the greatest? The med side would be gorgeous but you'll have to check logistics to your departure airport in Spain.

Have a great walk. Buen Camino
Annie
Thank you. I wish I thought of this earlier as I fly home from Madrid and would love to have seen the med side too. (Yes I'll have to come back another time) My travel agent didn't tell me how cool it would be around Finisterre so I assumed warm weather was a given in summer. (It's all been bit of a rushed 4 week preparation between ending and starting a new job.) Might look into internal flights to Portugal and find a place as south as possible but I've only got 4 days. I've travelled to some wondrous places around the globe but my first time to Europe :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think Barcelona will need to be my next holiday :)
think

Last year we flew from Santiago to Malaga for some post Camino beach time with guaranteed hot sun!. Depending on time and how you like your beaches, you can fly from Santiago to Barcelona, Alicante or Malaga for Mediterranean beaches, or Seville for the still warm but quieter Atlantic ones or to Mallorca for a real treat. All are easily within reach of Madrid for your return, either by train or if you go to Mallorca by frequent cheap flights. Check out Ryanair or Vueling for internal flights or Skycanner too. Trains back to Madrid are bookable on renfe website.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you seriously suggesting that every travel agent in Melbourne is closed on a Saturday? LLPOF.
Haha err no but the ones near me are closed for the (Queens bday public holiday) it's ok I'm working this out online, researching each suggestion :)

Last year we flew from Santiago to Malaga for some post Camino beach time with guaranteed hot sun!. Depending on time and how you like your beaches, you can fly from Santiago to Barcelona, Alicante or Malaga for Mediterranean beaches, or Seville for the still warm but quieter Atlantic ones or to Mallorca for a real treat. All are easily within reach of Madrid for your return, either by train or if you go to Mallorca by frequent cheap flights. Check out Ryanair or Vueling for internal flights or Skycanner too. Trains back to Madrid are bookable on renfe website.
That sounds like a great option, I've been looking at that this morning...did you fly directly to Malaga from Santiago or via Madrid?

You won't want it! You'll want your Camino experience to continue and head off down another Camino! But in case you do...

Barcelona - I know it's been said and you said it's another holiday but I would reconsider :D - im guessing coming from Australia you don't get that many chances to come to Spain, the beaches of algarve or Costa del Sol probably won't compare to Aussie beaches anyway and they're chock full of families and older people so go have fun in the best and coolest beach city in Europe! It's awesome and not just cos I live there ;)

If you're looking to be mega hot and have some nightlife then maybe Marbella/Puerta Banus would be a nice second choice, not Malaga, although you have to fly into Malaga.

Thanks Sarah :) We all think we live in the best place on earth don't we, I'm possibly one of those "older" people you mentioned, mid 40's with grown up kids which I'm leaving at home. So I don't need wild nightlife. Great cafes/bars, pool, beach is more what I am craving for the recuperation. And will help me get though winter when I get back to Aus. So maybe Marbella or another place I read about was Nerja? I've been googling all day and it all looks so amazing. So hard to choose, it all seems so far away both physically and in time.... Though I'm leaving in 4 more days eek!! And would like this part ( flights and beach accomodation) to be booked in. I will definitely be going back as I hear Barcelona is fantastic too. This may be my first trip to Europe (a trip 5 months ago I thought I may never get to make) but now I know I'll be back :)

Talking about beaches in Galicia, we shouldn't overlook the Rodas beach on the Cies Islands. To stay on the islands themselves may be too quiet for the OP but she could commute to the islands from Baiona. However, it's Galicia so warm sun isn't guaranteed and water might be cool.

Lorett Da Mar north of Barcelona is lovely.

That's a good example of how every person has different tastes. I would avoid Lloret de Mar like the plague...

so go have fun in the best and coolest beach city in Europe

Barcelona is a nice city with things for (almost) everybody but I think that saying it's the best and coolest beach city in Europe is too subjective and, probably, too biased.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you're looking for somewhere not too far from Santiago, A Coruna is just an hour train ride north and is absolutely beautiful. Really long beach and a very tropical feel with great people.

I used to live in Vigo and the beaches there are beautiful and you can take a ferry to the Islas cies with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Personally, if I came from Australia (even if it is "winter" there), I wouldn't waste my precious time in Spain going to airports and flying somewhere to find a warm beach to lie on for a day or so! I'd suggest that you walk your camino and then see how you feel and what ideas you get from other people you meet. There's no shortage of options!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I finished up in Santiago at the very beginning of October one year with a few days before my flight home and decided to find a beach. I went to the tourist office there and they indicated where beaches were - not too close to Santiago, though. So I got on the Internet and found a good deal in a hotel in O Grove, Hotel Bosque Mar. I got a train to Pontevedra (I like travelling on Spanish trains, they are modern and comfortable) and a bus to O Grove where I discovered the hotel was five or six kilometres outside the town. So a taxi was used rather than doing any more walking.
The hotel was lovely with a pool and quite close to a number of nice beaches. It was out of season and, I think, I was the only guest in the hotel.
The following year, after walking on the Camino, my wife met me in Santiago and we spent a few days in the same hotel. It was May and the weather was very hot and sunny.
The beaches do not have sunbeds and parasols as far as I know although I was only there in low season.
I suspect that in July the hotel might fill with Spanish holidaymakers.
O Grove town is famous for seafood.
Hope this might help.

I finished up in Santiago at the very beginning of October one year with a few days before my flight home and decided to find a beach. I went to the tourist office there and they indicated where beaches were - not too close to Santiago, though. So I got on the Internet and found a good deal in a hotel in O Grove, Hotel Bosque Mar. I got a train to Pontevedra (I like travelling on Spanish trains, they are modern and comfortable) and a bus to O Grove where I discovered the hotel was five or six kilometres outside the town. So a taxi was used rather than doing any more walking.
The hotel was lovely with a pool and quite close to a number of nice beaches. It was out of season and, I think, I was the only guest in the hotel.
The following year, after walking on the Camino, my wife met me in Santiago and we spent a few days in the same hotel. It was May and the weather was very hot and sunny.
The beaches do not have sunbeds and parasols as far as I know although I was only there in low season.
I suspect that in July the hotel might fill with Spanish holidaymakers.
O Grove town is famous for seafood.
Hope this might help.
Sounds lovely, thank you

I used to live in Vigo and the beaches there are beautiful and you can take a ferry to the Islas cies with some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
I love the sound of this. What is the easiest way to get to
Personally, if I came from Australia (even if it is "winter" there), I wouldn't waste my precious time in Spain going to airports and flying somewhere to find a warm beach to lie on for a day or so! I'd suggest that you walk your camino and then see how you feel and what ideas you get from other people you meet. There's no shortage of options!
point taken :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Really grateful for all of these fantastic suggestions. I'm kind of impulsive, and find enthusiasm infectious :) I got all excited about hot beaches and booked cheap cheap flight to Magala very last night, then struggled in the wee hours to find accomodation that appealed ( it's sometimes hard to navigate booking.com when you are trying to work out location to beach etc and as a first time solo traveller, I'm not looking for family fun park, nor private apartment.) Anyhow it wasn't sitting well with me. I woke up this morning and read the rest of these posts and it dawned on me that it was my pre Camino jitters freaking me out and pushing me to make a firm plan. Combined with my excitement to be doing this for the first time and wanting to squeeze in everything. My Camino mantra will be to go with the flow. If I don't use the flights it's no great loss. I am more conscious in the light of today that I won't want to be so quick to abandon the peace of the Camino for the next part of the adventure: staying more local is appealing, even if the weather is milder. The sunshine of Malaga is still a possibility, though what is winning in my mind today is Pontevedra, hot springs in Ourence, Vigo with ferry to the wonderful Cies islands. And that's before I meet people along the way to chat about more options. If only I had more time to do it all. .... Clearly I'll have to come back some day, it's only a 24 hour flight after all :)

Last edited:
What's the easiest way to get from Santiago to Vigo? Kind thanks :)

That sounds like a great option, I've been looking at that this morning...did you fly directly to Malaga from Santiago or via Madrid?

There are direct flights from Santiago with Ryanair to Barcelona, Alicante, Malaya and Seville. I think Vueling also fly to several Spanish cities direct too. Last year we flew to Malaga but as it was August, we wanted a quieter beach so we hired a car and drove to the Cabo de Gata natural park in Almeria which is about 2 hours drive from Malaga but the beaches are wild and quiet, tourism very low key and sea is warm. The same is true is you were to go to the Costa de la Luz where again even in August the beaches are quiet, tourism low key and although it's the Atlantic, the shallow water is warm too. You could also get to the latter via flying to Seville and although you could get a bus, a hire car would make exploring easier. It depends on how much time and extra travelling you are prepared to do. The beaches of Murcia province, south of the Mar Menor and going towards Almeria province are also very quiet and undeveloped in comparison to the famous costas, and again reachable from Alicante. All of these areas you're guaranteed hot sun and warm waters especially from June to September. Nerja is tastefully developed, especially compared to the brashness of the resorts between Malaga and Gibraltar but it is a fully blown resort and won't be quiet in July or August. I could go on.......

Hi Jenn,

our youngest daughter did a 4 week 'Work & Stay' stint in Baionna (next door to Vigo) last year. This was after a long trip, where she needed a break from the 'travelling/partying' etc. :)

She said it was an extremely beautiful area, and really loved her time there.

If we get time at the end of our Camino this year, we'll see if we can get there for a few days.

There is a direct train from Santiago to Vigo. You can also fly direct from Vigo to Madrid (which is what our daughter did).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Ivar's photo about Carnota beach appears Mount Pindo that was a sacred mountain for the Celts. Furthermore, the name Carnota seems that comes from Celtic word Cairn (barrow). Also Carnota has the most famous horreo in Galicia, but I'm afraid that water must be cold in Carnota beach.
I like it since it is great to walk on... (I get bored just laying down). Walk from one end to the other and then back, and you are "toast" on a summer day. Then back to the restaurant (see yellow star on my map above). :)

Don't think it is ideal for swimming since it is cold but also currents since the ocean comes straight in..

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you do keep that Malaga plane ticket let me tempt you around the tip of Spain to the Costa del la Luz. Much less development, great beaches, good waves for surfing and windsailing. We often go to a smallish resort called Conil but there are many places along that coast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This
If you do keep that Malaga plane ticket let me tempt you around the tip of Spain to the Costa del la Luz. Much less development, great beaches, good waves for surfing and windsailing. We often go to a smallish resort called Conil but there are many places along that coast.
You are torturing me :) but it sounds like an interesting option William. How far is that from the Malaga airport and is it easy to get to? Eg direct bus?

Another vote for Carnota or Vigo or anywhere else in Galicia. Don't waste your short time crossing Spain. The weather is a lottery, you can go to Andalucía and find clouds and rain aswell, though Málaga has a lot of sunny days every year nothing either nobody can guarantee sun when you go. If you only had two weeks... but for 3-4 days, I wouldn't take risks.

As for the water temp, well, unless you are pretending to swim to Ireland, immersions in cold water are used in sports as a recovering therapy. ;)

Another vote for Carnota or Vigo or anywhere else in Galicia. Don't waste your short time crossing Spain. The weather is a lottery, you can go to Andalucía and find clouds and rain aswell, though Málaga has a lot of sunny days every year nothing either nobody can guarantee sun when you go. If you only had two weeks... but for 3-4 days, I wouldn't take risks.

As for the water temp, well, unless you are pretending to swim to Ireland, immersions in cold water are used in sports as a recovering therapy. ;)
Yes I tend to agree the more I think and talk. Eeek hate cold water but hey I only need my feet in it to enjoy the beach, and yes some ice treatment and sand scrub will be well needed by then

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.