• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanting to avoid all albergues

Hmm. I am looking at trying to walk in the UK and only finding touristy walks with B&Bs and inns that I can't afford. And these are called pilgrimages. :(

I agree that accommodation in the UK is often very expensive compared to Spain. But I do not see that the cost of beds is a factor in defining a journey as a pilgrimage or not: surely that is a matter of personal intention and motivation rather than external circumstances? My solution when walking in the UK tends to be wild camping or bivvying overnight, with low cost accommodation as a welcome plus when available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree that accommodation in the UK is often very expensive compared to Spain. But I do not see that the cost of beds is a factor in defining a journey as a pilgrimage or not: surely that is a matter of personal intention and motivation rather than external circumstances? My solution when walking in the UK tends to be wild camping or bivvying overnight, with low cost accommodation as a welcome plus when available.

Good point. But when walking from LePuy to Conques, I stayed at some places and was swept up in a more "touristy world". People were on holiday and seemed more interested in shopping and complaining about this and that. That gets into the "What entails a pilgrimage?" question again.

Where can I get info on the legalities and norms of wild camping in the UK?

Where can I get info on the legalities and norms of wild camping in the UK?
The situation is quite complicated as the different countries of the UK have different laws. I do not know the position in Northern Ireland. In England and Wales wild camping without permission from the landowner is generally illegal. In more remote areas it is usually possible with discretion though: pitching late in the day and leaving early and leaving no trace. Scotland has more liberal laws closer in spirit to those of Norway and Sweden. Wild camping in open areas is specifically allowed under Scots law. This link gives more information: https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/Practical-guide/public/camping

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

I did years in the military and now that I am out I never want to sleep next to a stranger again. Ha ha, sorry.

So I want to hike the Camino but want a room and bathroom to myself at night. My son and I.

Are hotels plentiful or do I really need to book in advance? What are the chances of it nearing dark and without lodging for the night in July of 2019?

I started the CF on 1st May and finished 1st June this year, my first time. I stayed a few nights in Albergues, however gave up due to the obvious reasons and stayed in Pensions, Hostels, Hotels. The are advantages / disadvantages to both, however I dont regret mixing it up, and I have always found that you will always find a bed / room. Enjoy the trip, it is truly a wonderful and life changing experience, and in fact I am suffering so much from having done it that I am not still on it......

I walked the Frances in May and stayed in only one albergue. I booked my first two days from home (SJPP and Orisson), then relied on Booking.com for the rest. I tried to plan a few days in advance and had only a few problems. Sometimes my first choice of town was booked and I had to choose one a little closer or farther.
Chuck, how ya doing friend, hope you got back well......

Trevor, I used Booking.com to make reservations from SJPP to Pamplona in Sep 2019. I will book ahead daily after I get to Pamplona. Booking.com is very easy to use! It has a filter on the left side of the page that allows you to limit your search to accommodations with private bath. Simply select your preference from the list of hits to make the reservation in English. There is also a way to ask questions online. Finally, many of the accommodations allow late cancellations! I found the ease of use and flexaibility afforded by Booking.com extraordinary![/QUOTE
If you stay in private room, do they provide blankets? Will start the CF from SJPP in late Sept and fly home early Nov and trying to decide if I should pack a sleeping bag or liner or both. Thx for any advise as trying to keep pack weight below 10lbs and have a 28L pack. Thx.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

I did years in the military and now that I am out I never want to sleep next to a stranger again. Ha ha, sorry.

So I want to hike the Camino but want a room and bathroom to myself at night. My son and I.

Are hotels plentiful or do I really need to book in advance? What are the chances of it nearing dark and without lodging for the night in July of 2019?
I would book in advance we have walked 3 different sections of 3 different caminos and used the camino travel centre each time

Booking with a tour group, even with baggage transportation, can result in quite long stages each day. I like to walk SLOWLY. I cannot keep up with a group! I make my own way in short stages. I look at Gronze and Booking.com. Occasionally, I like to stay inn albergue which comes highly recommended!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.