• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanting to do some of the Camino in an electric wheelchair

Aina Boss Budde

Time of past OR future Camino
What I can "walk" of the camino in an electric wheelchair (2018)
Hi all.
My name is Aina and I am from Denmark.
My friend is doing the Camino in march/april 2018 and has asked if I want to join the last part of it. And I would LOVE to do it!!
I use an electric wheelchair and unfortunately I can't switch to a manual due to me using a ventilator/respirator and I have backproblems that a manual would increase.

I am trying to search the web to figure out how much of the Camino I can do in my chair.
Do any of you have experiences that you can share? Or do you know sites where I can estimate the paths difficulties/obstacles?
I am used to travelling and obstacles don't hold me back - they are just a part of life :) My last travel adventure was a 6 month long roadtrip in the U.S. :p

Thanks in advance :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Aina

I don’t have a clue what an electric wheelchair is capable of. Though you may be able to go around the rougher parts of the trail and go mainly on paved road, there will still be quite steep and long ascends and descends, longer and steeper than you will find in most places in Denmark. That goes even for the last, rather level stretch from Sarria to Santiago.

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to give you advice that is more elaborate.

Anyway, I admire your adventurous spirit and I hope you will find your way.

Best wishes, your country fellow man.

If you need fairly flat terrain to conserve battery power, there are many sections between Burgos and Leon that will accommodate a wheelchair. Quite a few are called senda with an improved surface specifically built to accommodate wheelchairs. You should be able to research the sections on the internet. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you can give us an idea of the portion of the camino that your friend is considering for you....maybe some of us can do some research and come up with some suggestions as to how to route it to avoid difficult stretches.

You posted that she has invited you for the "last part of it"..so we assume you are considering the last 100 km from Sarria to Santiago. This would qualify you for the Compostela.
Can you give us some idea of what the capabilities of the motorized chair are...and what are the problem conditions.

There are many here who would be very happy to discuss and help you plan a route that will work for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all.
My name is Aina and I am from Denmark.
My friend is doing the Camino in march/april 2018 and has asked if I want to join the last part of it. And I would LOVE to do it!!
I use an electric wheelchair and unfortunately I can't switch to a manual due to me using a ventilator/respirator and I have backproblems that a manual would increase.

I am trying to search the web to figure out how much of the Camino I can do in my chair.
Do any of you have experiences that you can share? Or do you know sites where I can estimate the paths difficulties/obstacles?
I am used to travelling and obstacles don't hold me back - they are just a part of life :) My last travel adventure was a 6 month long roadtrip in the U.S. :p

Thanks in advance :)
Aina, I see another reply with references to more information, but here is a link you might find encouraging. I watched a TED talk about it, and unfortunately missed the film, but
I must say it was very inspiring. All the best, and you will get plenty of ideas and guidance from other members.

Aina, I see another reply with references to more information, but here is a link you might find encouraging. I watched a TED talk about it, and unfortunately missed the film, but
I must say it was very inspiring. All the best, and you will get plenty of ideas and guidance from other members.
I saw both the TED talk and the related beautiful movie "I'll Push You". These would both be such inspiration for Aina's own adventure.

Hi Aina,
I wish you Buen Camino! It is incredible and I hope I will see you perhaps in Santiago as I will do my Camino around the time you want to do yours.
Buen Camnio!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a wonderful aspiration, Aina.
In addition to the links others have posted, there are photos in the forum media section of a group that did the camino in wheelchairs. Writing a PM to Samantha (who posted the photos) might give you much more information than we could - she has been there.
May the beauty you love be what you do! (Paraphrasing Rumi....)
Buen Camino!

The Confraternity of Saint James has a publication directed toward cycling pilgrims. While I am quite aware that wheelchairs are not bicycles, the bicycle routes often follow paths which are not as challenging as the pedestrian route. Even so, I think that the last 100km, from Sarria on, would be pretty manageable.

There is also a publication in Spanish from the Spanish association supporting those using wheelchairs. I tried to find it, but my castellano is weak and failed me. Perhaps one of our Spanish-speaking forumistos might know??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Aina, sounds like a great plan! I am also doing the Camino at about that time, my first one (CF, end Mar - start of May). If we meet we must have a drink and compare Camino war-stories. i am sure your war-stories will be much more adventurous than my biped'ed ones.
Glad to see that you are planning to do Your Camino; may your wheels be willing & able. Ultreya!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you - all of you!!
So many great tips and wishes for my trip <3
I am just starting the planning and it is so great to also get tips on what to think of (what my wheelchair can manage, how far I want to "go" and much more)
I will definitely use all your tips and links and write updates about my preparation.

And I hope to meet you guys there! Can see more of you are walking around the same time :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
. . . And I hope to meet you guys there! . . .
A lot of forum members will be on the trail during April and May [including this writer, I hope], and you will meet a lot of them. Aina, please keep us updated on your plans. God Bless you and your family, have a Merry Christmas, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi Aina,

Welcome to the forum. I know Burgos prides itself on being a wheelchair friendly city, something about that here: http://civitas.eu/sites/default/files/CARAVEL D5 - BURGOS MERS 11.11.pdf and also the terrain for the 140kms or so after it is relatively flat and if memory serves on fairly good surface so perhaps worth considering as a start point.

Good luck with the planning and have a great trip.

Rob.

Last edited:
Aina, this is Fantastic! I would think that parts of the Meseta would work best for you for traveling in a powered wheel chair as it is relatively flat for fairly long sections. As others have suggested Burgos as a starting point would work. What kind of range can you get out of a charge? Are you planning to have any kind of support team, ie a chase van?
I think what you want to do is doable with some planning and will give you a good taste of Camino life. Be prepared to met a lot of great people on your journey.
You will get lots of help along the way from people you have yet to meet, but will be waiting for you to help if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aina, this is Fantastic! I would think that parts of the Meseta would work best for you for traveling in a powered wheel chair as it is relatively flat for fairly long sections. As others have suggested Burgos as a starting point would work. What kind of range can you get out of a charge? Are you planning to have any kind of support team, ie a chase van?
I think what you want to do is doable with some planning and will give you a good taste of Camino life. Be prepared to met a lot of great people on your journey.
You will get lots of help along the way from people you have yet to meet, but will be waiting for you to help if needed.

My chair only do about 20 km per charge, but am contacting the wheelchair company to ask if it is possible with extra battery.
I am "walking" with one of my handicap assistants and have another one who drives my van to the next location and then he will ride a bike back to where I am and walk with me as well. If something goes wrong then he can quickly ride the bike back and get the van to me :)

Hi Aina,

Welcome to the forum. I know Burgos prides itself on being a wheelchair friendly city, something about that here: http://civitas.eu/sites/default/files/CARAVEL D5 - BURGOS MERS 11.11.pdf and also the terrain for the 140kms or so after it is relatively flat and if memory serves on fairly good surface so perhaps worth considering as a start point.

Good luck with the planning and have a great trip.

Rob.
I think Burgos might be to far from the end? But it might be better if the terrain is good there and worse again later on :)

I think Burgos might be to far from the end? But it might be better if the terrain is good there and worse again later on :)

Hi Aina,

You're right, Burgos is a long way from the end. Sorry, I didn't remember the "last section" part of your original post.

It's unfortunate that the final 100kms or so of the Camino are some of the hilliest but I'm sure with your attitude and the infrastructure that has grown up around that section of the Camino anything is possible.

All the best,

Rob.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back