• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

War in Ukraine - not political!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Mr heart bleeds for anyone in harms way in war. We have all been watching in horror what’s been happening this past week.

I am wondering if what is happening now there, has given others pause to consider cancelling plans to walk this Spring? Praying for Peace!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mr heart bleeds for anyone in harms way in war. We have all been watching in horror what’s been happening this past week. I am wondering if what is happening now there, has given others pause to consider cancelling plans to walk this Spring? Praying for Peace!
For me it caused just the opposite effect. Instead of my yearly walk in the south of Spain along VdlP (usually just across Andalucia and Extremadura), I decided to take up a Pilgrimage for Peace, and walk all the way from Seville to Santiago, praying for the end of the conflict and not spilling over further into Europe and the entire world. Never walked all the way from Seville to Santiago before. 💙💛

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Has praying for peace ever worked?

My local Catholic church has a notice board in the street. The current message is:

No God
No Peace.

Is my Parish Priest really saying that there is no God? I doubt that this is his intention, but ...

@OZAJ, not much to laugh about but that was funny. Although, ever the skeptic, I googled it. It's a meme. I don't know the notice board of your local Church. However, the text of the meme is:

No God. No Peace.
Know God. Know Peace.

Which could also be a reply to your first question. That's why people pray: it gives them a bit of peace of mind in troubled times.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've given your question some consideration, @Marbe2. Those of us who live and have homes in Europe may think: Why not? You can't get much further away than the southwest corner of the Continent such as the North of Spain, Galicia, Portugal ... 😶

Thank you for your response @Kathar1na. I think I am looking at this from a couple of angles. Should I just carry on as usual, flying to Europe while Eastern Europeans are being attacked and dying?
Which is better for Europe? Coming or not?
And where is this conflict heading….which no one knows at this point, but your response somewhat answers my question for Europeans at this point. Of course, I want to walk!

Which is better for Europe?
The first accounts to donate money to help Ukrainian refugees who are pouring into neighbouring countries, mainly women and children, have been opened by national or regional agencies, such as governments themselves or organisations like the Red Cross. That is one way to help in a situation where we individuals are pretty much helpless observers.

I've read, but cannot really say, that a swing in public opinion in various countries has helped to encourage a willingness to impose more and severe economic sanctions than usual.

I think that is as far as I can go to give you a view (not THE view) from those who live nearer to it all than others and still stay within forum guidelines.

I guess too part of me wonders what the economic impact will be on Europe. Shortages of Fuel and other supplies? Will tourists/pilgrims from outside Europe put a further strain-on her. On the other hand, will tourist dollars help support economies?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess too part of me wonders what the economic impact will be on Europe. Shortages of Fuel and other supplies? Will tourists/pilgrims from outside Europe put a further strain-on her. On the other hand, will tourist dollars help support economies?
Tourist dollars, and that includes pilgrim dollars, are always welcome by those who receive them. Inflation is higher than it had been for many years, and this is likely to continue. No reason to panic short-term about shortages of fuel and other supplies for what is needed by foreign visitors during their stay.

Marbe2 said

Hi!

I think your right in saying that there will be an economic impact on Europe without a doubt!
I think the impact of the removal of tourist income in European destinations will exacerbate the situation even further especially with regard to countries like Spain and Portugal where tourism plays such a large part !
Woody

My local Catholic church has a notice board in the street. The current message is:

No God
No Peace.

Is my Parish Priest really saying that there is no God? I doubt that this is his intention, but ...
The completion of that post is:
Know GOD
Know PEACE!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shortages of Fuel and other supplies?
Somewhere I saw a map showing where natural gas from Russia was going, and only a tiny fraction of it got as far as Spain. All those windmills and solar panels? They produce power in-country. And local business in Spain will appreciate your patronage, given inflation, and losses from covid.

God or no God, go in peace, @Marbe, and don't overthink it.
;)

God or no God, go in peace, @Marbe, and don't overthink it.
;)

We are scheduled to fly April 24th. Who knows what will occur in 8 weeks. But we are good to go right now!

A reminder about all those windmills and solar panels makes me believe the electricity I, and other visitors use in Spain won’t be problemativc for them, @Kathar1na!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
concha-de-senalizacion-del-camino-de-santiago_7742_p.jpeg

I am struck by the coincidental symbolism of the Camino symbol and the current situation in Ukraine.

The colours are Ukrainian, while the lines represent the malevolent forces that are converging on Kyiv.

The absolute antithesis of everything that the Camino represents.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for your response @Kathar1na. I think I am looking at this from a couple of angles. Should I just carry on as usual, flying to Europe while Eastern Europeans are being attacked and dying?
And where is this conflict heading….which no one knows at this point, but your response somewhat answers my question for Europeans at this point. Of course, I want to walk!
I appreciate hearing your voice. You consideration of others is beautiful and these kinds of questions are important in a world where it seems the idea of what’s good for me is paramount.

Without wishing to sound cynical Marbe2 I don’t think it will make a lot of difference either way. This is such an unstable, dangerous and frightening situation that you may as well just follow whatever you wish to do, which is to walk. No harm can come from such a decision. Given that you sound a thoughtful and very considerate person you will no doubt make a positive contribution to to the well of human kindness and that, in itself, is a worthy achievement. Those who seek to kill, maim and terrify their fellow human beings will almost certainly remain untouched. I wish you a safe and enjoyable Camino. Ultreia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... Should I just carry on as usual, flying to Europe while Eastern Europeans are being attacked and dying?
I think I can answer this question only for myself.

I have some ideas if I think about this ...

At any time there are happening so many wonderful things and really(!) terrible(!) things on this planet...

the serenity prayer:
[...] grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
or in a longer version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

If we try to make the world a better place, even if the change is very little... almost not noticeable... the world will be a little better... even if it is "only" praying or donating or walking for peace...

So, yes, I think it is better for Europe/Spain if "we" are coming (as long as there are no travel recommendations not to come)... even while Eastern Europeans are being attacked and dying.

And I like this idea: I think... if every human being would have done a pilgrimage like the Camino de Santiago... there maybe would not be wars any longer.

No God
No Peace.

The second part of that is Know God Know Peace

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mr heart bleeds for anyone in harms way in war. We have all been watching in horror what’s been happening this past week.

I am wondering if what is happening now there, has given others pause to consider cancelling plans to walk this Spring? Praying for Peace!

I am in Kyiv, besieged by enemies, there are battles around, the sounds of sirens and explosions are heard. I call on everyone who can help us, even if it's just words of support, do it. Please understand that we are fighting not only for our independence and the right to go our own way, but also for your countries, for your right to be yourself and ultimately for your independence. Also walk caminos you planned and at the end pray for peace.

I am 73 years old; I have done 4 caminos and this spring I wanted to do another short one with my wife.

Members are, gently, reminded of our rules on the discussion of politics and politically related topics.

Expressions of prayer and empathy with the peoples of Ukraine do not contravene our rules but members are urged to exercise care.

Members are also urged to exercise caution when considering donating to sites seeking financial support. Many globally recognized charities are already offering assistance to refugees from Ukraine. cautus caritas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am struggling with this right now as I fly in 2 weeks. There are many IF's however. Logistically getting back to North America, from really any point on the CF, could become difficult if this escalates or if flights become more restricted. I think it is really too early to tell right now. Fortunately, I booked my flight with points so if I cancel I'll get them back, I'll only be out a couple of hotel nights.

I am struggling with this right now as I fly in 2 weeks. There are many IF's however. Logistically getting back to North America, from really any point on the CF, could become difficult if this escalates or if flights become more restricted. I think it is really too early to tell right now. Fortunately, I booked my flight with points so if I cancel I'll get them back, I'll only be out a couple of hotel nights.

Keep us posted!

I to am unsure about doing the pilgrimage ,I have now paid for the trip ,but it feels like maybe the wrong thing to do when so many people have uncertain futures and no homes .
Desperately sad .
Eddie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are currently more than 25 armed conflicts going on as we speak. There have been at least that number for the last several decades. The tragic events unfolding in Ukraine are unfolding in Most continents as we speak. Although heartbreaking, it ought not give pause to your Camino plans in my opinion - it evidently had not in our lifetimes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have deleted one post with some links to sites where you can donate for this fight. I am not saying that these links are not valid, but I can not vouch for these sites. I would suggest that you google "how to help Ukraine" and find your own places to donate if this is what you want.

I feel that I should also close this thread now. We are all thinking about what is going on, but this site is for planning your camino... all conversations related to Ukraine on this forum should be somewhat camino related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back