• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warfarin

Pilgrim

It seems likely that I will soon have to take the medication Warfarin (Coumadin) and have been warned that this could stop me undertaking long walks as the feet could bruise badly. Please, anyone out there taking this heart medication who could give me the benefit of their experience? Pilgrim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Pilgrim, I'm on Warfarin after a major heart attack in 1990 I also have atrial fibrilation and Diabetes type 2!!

I walked the Camino Frances Roncesvalles - Santiago in 2002 and enjoyed it so much that I went back in 2003 and walked the last 100 km again.

In 2007, when I will be 70, I plan to walk the Via de la Plata. Yes it can be done! Just pay a lot of attention to your feet, prepare well and make sure that you are really comfortable with your footwear and socks. I used lightweight boots with a gortex liner in 2002 May to July pilgrimage but often found my feet uncomfortably hot; but the same boots were fine in November 2003 for the 100km walk. In 2007 I plan to use unlined boots and walking sandals alternating them as circumstances dictate. :roll:

Alan

Walking with Warfarin

Alan, Thanks!! I am very grateful to you for your cheering message bringing hope that my Warfarin will not stop me walking. Without giving a long 'sob story' I will just fill in the details - after three Caminos I was planning the Plata this April when my Doctor, who was conducting some tests, told me to stop my plans as I urgently needed a heart operation, so on Wednesday this week I am having a heart valve replaced, Warfarin is a necessary medication to stop the artificial valve from causing blood clots. It was my heart surgeon who suggested that Warfarin might be, but only might be, a problem. At this stage awaiting hospital entry tomorrow, Tuesday, afternoon your message could not have come at a better time so I again thank you!! Pilgrim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When the going gets tough the tough get going.
Hang in there.
Don't just dream your dream, live it.
Buen Camino.
Dael

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Out of Hospital

Thanks for the kind messages!! I came out of Hospital yesterday with my new heart valve 'clicking' away happily. Ultreya Pilgrim

:D Great news Pilgrim delighted to hear that your pump is now fully repaired, the trick now is to gradually increase the use until it is 100% (under medical supervision) Once you get back onto the Camino you will need to set up an arrangement to check your INR level which dictates the Warfarin dosage. My hospital are prepared to give me a Warfarin level over the phone if I contact them with an INR level, apparently this is usual for people travelling.

Ultreya
Alan

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back