• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

warm clothes for sept/oct

Timid

I'd like to know what warm weather clothes past pilgrims have found useful to take for sept to about mid oct.

I live in the south west of France and already for the past few nights, it's been cold enough to wear a light fleece.

I have bought a lightweight sleeping bag and silk liner and will be taking a long sleeved top and a pair of long johns made of "climate control" material (can keep you warm but not too warm).

Apart from a fleece, should I have any more warm clothes with me?

I haven't got a shell jacket for fear that it will be too warm when I'm walking and I also only have a very lightweight and not especially sturdy rain jacket.

Have decided that I'd just let my walking trousers dry on their own as I hate being encased in waterproofs. But, will I get cold?

What sort of temperatures could we expect, daytime, night time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Timid,

I know that there are some great camino-related weather sites with data on historical averages, this is the one I look at most frequently: http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Weather ... ntiago.htm

I've only walked once in September/October and I found that though it was often very chilly in the morning setting out, I never needed more than a fleece. I remember it was 5 degrees when I left Leon on the Camino del Salvador early in the morning in late September, but I think that was actually the coldest it ever got. Daytimes were always warm, rarely needed a fleece during the day.

Especially when I'm moving, I find that if I have wool gloves and a wool skull cap on I can tolerate pretty low temperatures with just a light fleece. But of course it's very individual. I would say light fleece and light waterproof rain jacket, which you can also use as a windbreaker in the cold, should be plenty. I don't wear rainpants and find that those quick drying pants will dry pretty quickly so I don't have to worry about getting too cold. But I don't think we experienced any rain in the three weeks I walked on the Salvador and the Primitivo -- not sure if that's typical or if I was just lucky.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the weather link, Laurie.

You have reassured me greatly. Like you, I get very hot when I'm on the move. Plus, I shall be taking my nordic walking poles so my arms are always moving, as well as my legs!

I think I WILL take some gloves though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Timid

My experience was very similar to Laurie's. I had walked Camino Frances in Oct (1 - 29).

I had used my silk liner with a light summer sleeping bag, sufficient for most nights. Only in Leon was I cold in the night and the early morning. 5 degrees.

I had found having a pair of gloves most pleasant. Especially if you are using poles and cannot keep your hands warm in your pockets.

I had used a Buff headwear. At various moments it had been a neckerchief, a headband, and as earmuffs. http://www.buff.es/en/index.php?p=GBR

I had used a light (very) shell for cold mornings and found myself warming up very quickly as I walk.

On rainy days, I preferred to wear rain trousers. I find wet clothes rather uncomfortable. And on some days it may be wet and rainy for quite a few hours. That said I remember one day just absolutely roasting under my rain poncho. I had eventually put my hood down and savoured the feel of rain on my face - very refreshing!

Buen camino
Rebecca

Hi Timid,
I did my Camino early September to early October 2009 and for the first couple of weeks (it was easily above 30C by mid day the first week), I would start out with short sleeved shirts and shorts. As it got to be around the 3rd week of September, I was starting out with a long sleeved t-shirt over my short sleeved one. A week after that, I had to buy a fleece jacket for the mornings and evenings as it got progressively cooler and more rain. Of course, every year will be different weather wise.
Buen Camino
Bill

Thank you for all the replies. In view of what you have all said, I think I have just about the right gear.

We will probably be mid October when we finish but a fleece and 2 pairs of socks plus gloves plus perhaps a large cotton scarf that will wind snugly round the neck should do the trick.

Lovely to have so much great advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You helped me out a great deal as well. And thanks, Peregrina for the weather Web site. That's a nice bonus!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.