• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warm clothing for a late April departure?

Ynotwalk

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Hello future friends! I will be starting my first Camino from St. Jean in late April this year and wondered how many warm clothes I need to pack. Do I need to bring a puffy and a long sleeve merino? I'm so confused about what to bring and am trying to avoid packing items that won't be used as I progress along the route. Your recommendations much appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m wondering the same thing. Leaving SJPP on April 20 for my first Camino and will finish in Santiago. First night at Borda. I plan on starting to walk fairly early every morning. I’m from Florida so I run pretty cold. Anything under 70F I prefer to be in a long sleeve. I plan on bringing one of each of the following: lightweight merino t-shirt, lightweight merino 1/4 zip, mid weight fleece, Patagonia nano puff, rain jacket, rain pants, zip off hiking pants and leggings. That’s basically it as far as clothes. Does that sound like a good plan? I’m just wondering how hot it’s going to be on the meseta in early and mid May, but then may encounter colder weather in the higher elevations? Anyone have any insight into if that list of clothes sounds like a good plan?

We have walked multiple Spring Caminos and the changing weather is actually a good problem to have: you slowly get to shed weight from your pack as the warmer weather approaches and you no longer need all those long-sleeved items. We have hit snow in April three times! And then roasted and got sunburned before reaching our destination later in the trip. Of course, your personal body temperature dictates much of it, but you’ll get progressively warmer regardless of if you are a hot, cold, or warm person.

So simple rules:
- Layers! Layers! Layers! Nothing overly big or warm. Far better to go from three layers to two to one as you enter Spring rather than lugging a giant puffy jacket around.
- Bring items you can donate to Pilgrim boxes or charity shops. They’ll be put back to use at the end of the walking season.
- Pack less than your worries tell you to; there are shops in Spain if you truly need to pick up something warmer, but it’s the opposite for 99% of pilgrims. Walking generates a lot of heat and you’ll be surprised how little you need to wear to stay comfortable

You can also look in the "give away" box at the albergues and there may be an extra shirt, etc. you can use and then regift later down the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
how many warm clothes I need to pack.
Do I need to bring a puffy and a long sleeve merino?
I would not go anywhere for a month without a warmish long sleeved top, so yes to that. A puffy is a very nice weight/space efficient layer of cosiness, so I would bring that too. Then I would add my walking outfit (including t-shirt plus sunshirt, a spare trousers/pants, underwear, and rain gear.

Last edited:
Hello future friends! I will be starting my first Camino from St. Jean in late April this year and wondered how many warm clothes I need to pack. Do I need to bring a puffy and a long sleeve merino? I'm so confused about what to bring and am trying to avoid packing items that won't be used as I progress along the route. Your recommendations much appreciated!
Hello. I would recommend you take along enough clothes to layer if it gets cold — and expect a few days to be cold.
I walked the Francés in 2019 from April 28 to June 2 and some days I put on all the clothes I had with me and I was still cold. I wished I had taken a light puffy vest and another long sleeve t-shirt. Some days I faced a constant cold wind. And some other days it was very hot with only a t-shirt. That’s the Camino in May.
I suggest you be prepared.

I walked the Del Norte starting in early April and switched over to the Primitivo mid-April. I bought a very nice puffy jacket and gloves in Oviedo because I simply didnt have warm enough gear for the mountains in april. Even with a high quality Patagonia puffy it was very cold and windy on top of the highest parts of the Primitivo. I have found that a nice neck gaiter and good gloves go a long way to keeping me content in cold conditions

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in snow and freezing rain at the Col before Roncesvalles on May 1, 2018. As others have said layers are the key but don't forget a light wool watch cap and gloves.

It was really cold last year every morning, through April and May, as in 2-4°C. but then it would warm up by afternoon usually. Ended up buying a long sleeve turtle-neck t-shirt to wear under my blouses and that worked perfectly, as well as my fleece. Both got removed after about an hour of walking. Was really glad to have that t-shirt though as wore it almost every day. It is coming along again this April and May. Had merino thermal long johns, but only wore them in the evening when my pants were drying. Thought they would be useful under my hiking pants, but never needed them for that.

Nothing cotton. Layer. If you're from a cold climate, you can tolerate cold mornings (28 degrees F in 2016) as it warms up quickly as well as walking, for the first couple weeks. I only brought a sleeping bag liner but should have brought a light down bag. 'Bought gloves after Roncesvalles and wore them every morning. It's not easy following the 10% weight recommendations, but your feet will thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cold nights and mornings, warm noon and hot pm on the Meseta last April. Puffy jacket, merino long sleeve and neck buff all welcome. Also carrying light gloves this spring. Buen Camino

I’m wondering the same thing. Leaving SJPP on April 20 for my first Camino and will finish in Santiago. First night at Borda. I plan on starting to walk fairly early every morning. I’m from Florida so I run pretty cold. Anything under 70F I prefer to be in a long sleeve. I plan on bringing one of each of the following: lightweight merino t-shirt, lightweight merino 1/4 zip, mid weight fleece, Patagonia nano puff, rain jacket, rain pants, zip off hiking pants and leggings. That’s basically it as far as clothes. Does that sound like a good plan? I’m just wondering how hot it’s going to be on the meseta in early and mid May, but then may encounter colder weather in the higher elevations? Anyone have any insight into if that list of clothes sounds like a good plan?
Hi , we're from Florida too and it will be my 6th Camino but first time this early in the year (leaving st Jean April 25th ) I'm bringing a very light windbreaker coat for warmth and a light rain poncho and a fleece and 2 long sleeved T shirts, and 2 short sleeved t shirts for the warmer days . Layering is best . A puff jacket AND rain jacket seems a lot unless your puff jacket is super light. I also bring a pair of very light hiking gloves and hat for the first few days. It will be interesting to walk this early in the year. In all my camino's I only experienced 5 days of rain in total. I anticipate it will be more just in this Camino alone :)

Last edited:
Greetings,
So happy for you regarding your upcoming Camino! I walked the CF from SJPP beginning late April last year. It was cold and rainy in the Pyrenees, and then cold in the early mornings until the Meseta, where it was hot. Layers, including a long sleeve thermal sweatshirt, worked for me. My puffy jacket was light and fairly thin and folded up very small and I found it helpful at times in the mornings during the first weeks. After the first weeks you might want to consider when it would be a good time to ship it on to Santiago. As others have wisely said, cotton is good to avoid, I never needed thermal underwear, and light gloves and a stocking cap were helpful. I wished that I’d have brought one more pair of socks and underwear so I’d have had less washing. Also, safety pins are great so that you can pin your washed clothes to the back of your pack to dry on mornings when they didn't dry overnight. Having two walking poles was essential for me, especially on rocky downhills.

May God bless you!
Daniel (Slow Traveler)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started in SJPP towards the end of April 2022--I definitely had too much. My strongest suggestion is don't bring too much. I was only on the Camino for 7 days as I developed a knee problem. However, I am going back to start at the last place, Navarre, this April 20th. Most hostels have washing machines and dryers. Remember going through the mountains is cooler and the temps drop a little more at night. You can find historical temp info on the web. Since you are walking with a pack, you will get hot during the day. As you travel southwest it gets a little warmer each day. Bring clothing that you can discard-an old fleece top for the beginning and cooler part of the trip. A poncho or rain gear is a must. Stick to the weight guidelines or even less depending upon your age.

Buen Camino,
Amy

I walked the Frances starting in early April-May. I was glad for my long sleeve merino wool, my merino wool thin icebreaker vest and my Packable down jacket. I wore each one everyday, especially in the morning and in the evenings.

I wil be walking my first camino too. I will be about 15-16th of april in the pyrenees. I now am walking already with my camino clothes to try them out. I live in the Netherlands and it is freezing at night. Yesterday I've walked 18 km and I wasn't cold. I didn't expect that the thin layers together would be so comfortabel warm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I think I will stick with my current packing list as all the items I have are pretty weight conscience. The puffer is very thin and lightweight and I worry that I will miss it if I don’t bring it. I’m definitely going to keep in mind sending things ahead to Santiago if I feel like I’m not utilizing them. ¡Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I think I will stick with my current packing list as all the items I have are pretty weight conscience. The puffer is very thin and lightweight and I worry that I will miss it if I don’t bring it. I’m definitely going to keep in mind sending things ahead to Santiago if I feel like I’m not utilizing them. ¡Buen camino!
Thanks for your question. I too have a similar list for my first CF starting mid-April. The consolation for me is because I wear everything that first week I don't have to carry it all until it (and you) start warming up. Buen Camino.

I'm walking in late October and plan to take my 32 degree base layers, a similar brand is called Heat. You can find at costco or sams if you live in the US. They are very lightweight and take up little room. They also double as my pajamas.

I'm walking in late October and plan to take my 32 degree base layers, a similar brand is called Heat.
"Heat" is part of the 32 Degrees brand. They have 32 Degrees Heat and 32 Degrees Cool for different weather conditions. I have the 32 Degrees Heat base layer pants, and they are great.

In addition to what they sell at Costco they also have their own online store.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm so confused about what to bring and am trying to avoid packing items that won't be used as I progress along the route. Your recommendations much appreciated!
As @Vacajoe says: layers! layers! layers!

I started from south central France early April and my usual attire to start each day was 1 x short sleeve top plus a buff for the neck. It would take well under 30 minutes to warm up. I had no wish to stop after, say, 10-15 minutes to:
  • take off the pack and open it up
  • take a top off and put it in the pack
  • close the pack and put it back on

My layers "suite" comprises:
  • 2 x short sleeve (130 grams each)
  • 1 x long sleeve (180 grams)
  • 1 x wind/rain proof "parka" - single layer fabric with hood (220 grams)
This is seldom used - and then most often at night, not for walking.

Walking in unpleasant conditions might include:
  • long sleeve top; or
  • short sleeve top with parka (sleeves pushed up to the elbows, unzipped to breathe)
  • rain kilt (80 grams)

For rain beyond light, in addition to the top and parka, I will probably wear:
  • acrylic gloves for warmth (25 grams each)
  • water proof mittens (15 grams each)
I would not carry a puffy (?padded jacket) as it would take too much space, let alone weight. And it would get almost no use from me.

So, @Ynotwalk, I say to you kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient) and would love to hear how to get on.

I second the recommendation for warm gloves (I have merino/possum) and something warm for the head. If my head and hands are warm, then the rest is usually fine.

How exciting to be planning for your first Camino! You're right, it's helpful to pack light. From my one-time experience in that season, both a long sleeve merino or fleece, and a down jacket are needed, if that's all you're bringing for warmth. It gets cold at night and some days, particularly in the higher elevations, and just about all of Galicia. Have a wonderful Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back