• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warm welcome?

ClaraRosa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I go over old ground or sound a bit ranty...

I've been considering doing the Camino for a comparably short while compared to most people who may take a few years to gear up to up. I had been planning on doing it in 3 years time for my 40th birthday year, but having recently been made redundant my husband has suggested doing it now in case the 3 years time plan becomes a pipe dream and life gets in the way of the way.

One motivation for me is essentially a loss of faith in people; ungrateful kids, family too busy for me, friends turning their backs because I'm too introverted and don't go 'out' (I could go on). As someone who enjoys to run I had intended to run the Camino Frances (more of a jog/plod really but not a 'walk') and have come to find since joining last night that it's frowned upon. I'm really sad that people feel the need to express their disapproval and contempt of anyone who attempts to do anything g in the Camino other than stroll. I've read of people who can still enjoy the sights and fully experience the Camino whilst going at a faster pace - I certainly intend to also. I am also limited to time and had an aim to complete the Camino in 21-23 days. I'm fully aware that it's about the journey and not the destination (nor do I agree with the Camino being turned into a competitive race - I'm not competing with anyone, not even myself).

In short, if anyone gets this far in my long post, am I wasting my time wanting to 'run' (slow remember) the Camino - will it just reinforce my sadness about people's lack of acceptance, tolerance and kindness or will it as I hope strengthen it?

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @ClaraRosa what a shame you saw such negativity. There's nothing to stop you running if you like. I did recently post on another thread about 'speed loneliness'. I heard about this while chatting to cyclists, and the same thing happens to those 'power pilgrims' who do 40km and up a day, either by very long walking hours, or fast pace.

These people don't meet the same people twice and are like ships that pass in the night (sometimes literally in the case of the ghost-like power pilgrims). So I don't think you'll find people unaccepting of you in person, you just won't get time to make real connections with people. If you are looking for some quiet time to clear your head, running will do a grand job, but if you want your faith in humanity restoring, you may need to travel at others' pace.

My experience of walking the caminos has been that I encounter just as wide a variety of people and opinion there as anywhere else in my life. Most people are friendly, welcoming and accepting. A few are opinionated and confrontational. A very small number have been frankly disturbing in their outlook and behaviour. If you hope to please all of the people all of the time then I fear you are set for disappointment. I walked my first Camino Frances in 23 days and my most recent one last year in 28 days. Your time frame does not sound outrageous to me. I am also quite introverted and when I walk I do not look for the "camino family" experience which so many people find an essential element of their journey. I enjoy chance encounters with other pilgrims from time to time, sometimes meeting up with them time and again if their pattern of walking matches mine. On the odd occasion when I happen to meet with others who I find unpleasant or disturbing then I will simply walk an extra-long day to be sure of leaving them behind me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Clara Rosa

Everyone does the Camino at their own pace. If you would like to run/ jog/ walk quickly then go for it in a way that you find most enjoyable and sustainable.

I've generally found fellow pilgrims unusually warm and welcoming- it's something I really value. And things don't always go smoothly as we have to deal with the inevitable challenges best way we can.

Have a great Camino if you decide to go

have come to find since joining last night that it's frowned upon
I think you may have mistaken opposition to conducting a commercial race as opposition to running. Few run it, but I don't think it is frowned upon as an individual choice. Locals run and bike the Camino all the time, or at least stretches of it. It is a very popular weekend activity.

If you run with a pack, you may want to try it at home before trying it on the Camino. You may not like the sensation of fifteen to twenty pounds bouncing up and down for several hours a day for a couple of weeks!

If you run, you will outpace your walking companions, which is often what pilgrims remember the most about the Camino. Scenery provides to great photos, but people provide for great memories. Running likely will keep you from finding a "Camino family."

Do what you want, and have fun doing it!!

Hi Clara! I am also planning to run/fast walk my Camino this summer. I would agree that it's difficult to find help about partaking in such an endeavour, but I don't think it's due to negativity. Rather, it's the fact that we are planning on doing something much different than the average pilgrim, so it's hard for others to give us advice.

I personally will be aiming for around 40-50km a day which, while it will prevent me from making a "camino family", will make me and my body very happy. :) Don't be discouraged and enjoy your run!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You may not like the sensation of fifteen to twenty pounds bouncing up and down for several hours a day for a couple of weeks!
That's a ton of weight! What are other people packing that I'm not?

I'll echo what others have said. No problem with running alone on the Camino. In fact, when you get near the larger towns, the Camino path is often used by locals to run their daily route. As someone else said, the opposition was to a mass running in a more commerical sense. I would caution however that I would worry more about the time than the run. I did a very slow Camino (50 days) and regretted not having more time to spend just meeting the people, getting my faith in the human race back, and just enjoying the time. But, I have the luxury of being retired so time is mine to spend. I wish I could run that far as you are thinking of doing. As has been said multiple times and is really true. Your Camino is your Camino. Unless you're doing something that interferes with someone else's path (running doesn't in my view) or causes undue disturbance it's not a topic for discussion and is perfectly ok. With headphones, without headphones, with or without Internet, with or without boots/sandals, bicycles, pushcarts, etc. We all lend up somewhere with a nice glass of Spanish wine at the end of day talking about who we met, why we are doing this walk, and trying to make sense out of someone else's customs, language, opinions, or habits. It's the greatest venue on the planet in my book. Can't wait to get back there is year or so.

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I go over old ground or sound a bit ranty...

I've been considering doing the Camino for a comparably short while compared to most people who may take a few years to gear up to up. I had been planning on doing it in 3 years time for my 40th birthday year, but having recently been made redundant my husband has suggested doing it now in case the 3 years time plan becomes a pipe dream and life gets in the way of the way.

One motivation for me is essentially a loss of faith in people; ungrateful kids, family too busy for me, friends turning their backs because I'm too introverted and don't go 'out' (I could go on). As someone who enjoys to run I had intended to run the Camino Frances (more of a jog/plod really but not a 'walk') and have come to find since joining last night that it's frowned upon. I'm really sad that people feel the need to express their disapproval and contempt of anyone who attempts to do anything g in the Camino other than stroll. I've read of people who can still enjoy the sights and fully experience the Camino whilst going at a faster pace - I certainly intend to also. I am also limited to time and had an aim to complete the Camino in 21-23 days. I'm fully aware that it's about the journey and not the destination (nor do I agree with the Camino being turned into a competitive race - I'm not competing with anyone, not even myself).

In short, if anyone gets this far in my long post, am I wasting my time wanting to 'run' (slow remember) the Camino - will it just reinforce my sadness about people's lack of acceptance, tolerance and kindness or will it as I hope strengthen it?

Buen Camino
Just want to address your last para,the Camino is not a waste of time and we feel that you will experience a great deal of acceptance,love, concern,kindness, peace and grace on and in YOUR journey. We belive you will receive answers to all your questions regarding our life journey, just be open to the receiveing of those answers. Wish you Buen Camino enjoy the peace and love of the WAY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Clara.

As an extreme introvert and as a runner and as someone on the autism spectrum, your plan sounds right up my alley! I will say that I find this forum is often no different than everyday life in that some tend to impose their perspective as the right perspective. Bottom life, do whatever makes your heart feel best and tune out those who don't agree. Most probably don't understand that some have a preference NOT to bump into the same people and so moving fast will help us achieve that. And that some people get personal reward for the distance covered and the physical exertion to do so. Why so many people get their knickers in a knot about how anyone chooses to go about their Camino is beyond me!

The path of the Camino contains variety terrain and surfaces. Walking is inherently more stable than running. While a confirmed walker, and a tortoise at that, I would suggest that you consider "jogging" the Camino only if you are an accomplished back-country runner (ridge runner).

Please ask yourself if you can operate on loose gravel, cinder, macadam, crushed rock, grass, mud (lots of mud), concrete paving, and loamy soil? Can you handle these surfaces both up and down slopes as steep as 12%...seriously, there is at least one such ascent?

Can you run in 80 degree + heat (@ 28 c)? Can you run in rain and with a headwind?

Finally, depending on time of year, day of week, and time of day, can you handle pelotons of walkers and cyclists all vying for the available trail space? Consider that not all of them walk single-file and yield to oncoming pilgrims without a loud verbal or mechanical signal to alert them. While the Camino IS very private in many locations, there are stretches, where, on some days it seems there is a continuous "conveyor" of pilgrims towards Santiago. This is true after mid-May, and especially on the Camino Frances after Sarria.

I am NOT trying to put you off running / jogging. In fact, Rule One for the Camino is that "everyone does his/her own Camino. It is not for anyone to judge or criticize how and why you accomplish your Camino." And I am not.

If anything, I am merely trying to suggest that you consider the broadest possible picture you can imagine before committing yourself to running / jogging vs. walking. Perhaps, as a viable alternative, you might consider race-walking, using mochila transport services to send your weighty pack ahead to your next evening's lodging. You would wear a waist pouch or small backpack, with a small pack, water, first aid and your valuables...only the minimum gear you might need for the day's "run."

I hope this helps, and that you have a hugely successful Camino, regardless of how you finally decide to perambulate down the way.

I'm wondering why you (or anyone else for that matter) would care less what complete strangers on an internet forum think about how you choose to spend your time on the Camino? This forum comprises of a tiny percentage of people who walk the Camino every year. Most don't even know it exists. I didn't even know it existed before I walked the Camino the first time. The opinions on the forum play no role in my walking the Camino.
Why do you care and why express that on here? Just go run the damn thing.
ultreia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So true. And thankfully, I didn't run into people expressing some of the "attitudes" that I've read on this forum when I walked.
I've met three fellow members of this forum, totally by chance, while walking the Camino and all three were very cool.
but yeah, ditto never met anyone negative

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know someone who is either on the CF right now or about to begin his Camino. He is an ultra-marathoner who is planning to run.

It's not the way I would do it (I've always hated running), but I wish him well as I wish everyone well who is taking the courageous risk to join the pilgrim's way.

My mantra has always been, 'Whatever you do, someone will like it!' -- because the opposite is also always true.
Blessings on your journey!

Buen Camino
ClaraRosa: You have every right to follow you heart and do your camino as you wish. People have ridden their bicycles on various routes; why shouldn't you run if that's what calls to you? Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If running it is what would make you happier then run it, it's your journey lass.

I don't know how many miles per day you would intend to do but if it is what people would normally average walking, or a bit more then by running it you will have more time to appreciate the towns that you stop in, more time to meet people in town as well but if you run anything like me then you will be lost in your own thoughts as you jog away on the trail so I wouldn't worry about missing out on any trail talk which, if you want rest days of walking instead of running you can easily still get.

Buen Camino lass.

Buen Camino

Many people have run the Camino; it was not but a few years ago a priest from the Philippines ran the Camino barefoot. CR, do what you want to do and feel good about it; it will work out in the long run. Of course, every choice has a consequence. That is not a warning, but an understanding of life.

It sounds like you have a good amount of time if you are going to run, regardless of speed, so you won't have any problems. Your Camino will be long enough that you will be able to adjust your speed as you want along the way.

We get out of life what we put into it. We do not need to go "out" to have good friends or even a great Camino experience. However, if you are looking for interaction with other humans, then be the first one to interact rather than waiting for others to interact with you. In remembering this little rule you will be in control of your own experiences to a higher degree.

It's very easy to be judgmental and negative on an anonymous forum like this. Haters gotta hate! But it's also just as easy to ignore them for they matter not. You may find like-minded speedy folk on the way, and even if you speed through you'll meet friendly people along the way in cafes and refugios.

Buen and rapido camino to you. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You do the Camino for you, your way, your time, your pace!
Ignore the opinions of others - you want to jog, then jog. Who cares what others think?
Anyway, there are no 'pace' police on the Camino lol

Plan it, do it and have fun.
Buen Camino.

Buen Camino

Go ahead and run. :D

I think others here try to merely point out that it will be a different experience. For those who stroll, running would offer no appeal. No chance to chat to others etc etc. and of course you are unlikely to see familiar faces, as most people walk and will be left behind you.

But if running is your thing, go for it. Why not.. ;)

RUN PILGRIM RUN..... hmmmm could be a movie title :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's very easy to be judgmental and negative on an anonymous forum like this. Haters gotta hate! But it's also just as easy to ignore them for they matter not. You may find like-minded speedy folk on the way, and even if you speed through you'll meet friendly people along the way in cafes and refugios.

Buen and rapido camino to you. :)

Hopefully we don't have any 'Haters' on the forum :eek:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish I could run, from one introvert to another I say go for it. It is your time to do as you want don't change how you want to do it.

IMG_20160922_094328634_HDR.jpg I saw a couple of people running the camino. I did not frown upon them. It perhaps inspired me to get into better shape. Although I've never got the chance to speak with any of them, It seems that they may have sent their pack ahead (Remember, you can have your pack can be sent ahead via a transportation service) to an alburgue lets say 5/10 miles or 10/15 kms away. Pick up their pack, and walk/hike the final balance of the day. Or some may have their pack sent ahead and ran/jogged the whole distance for the day. If you feel jogging is best, do it! In fact you can mix and match; I rented a bike for one day. Jog/Walk/Bike. Don't worry, it's your camino. I wish you the best of luck. Buen Camino. If this helps you, I have attached a picture of someone jogging the camino.

Mark

Last edited:
I'd like to cycle a few days, I think that would be fun and give a change of pace.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you use the search bar, you will find lots of threads with "running" in the title. I was trying to find a particularly lovely video someone made, of sequences of a 2 year old boy running along the camino. So joyful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen Camino

Hi and welcome to the forum ;-) I simply would turn things around and concentrate less on what other people think of you and more on what you feel is right for you. If you want to run the Camino because that is the pace that feels natural to you - just do it! There will be pilgrims that understand it and pilgrims that don't understand it - just like in real life.

Buen Camino, SY

I have found that you usually find what you go looking for in the world. So if you are looking for acceptance and kindness, you will probably find it - because you will be tuned in to it and more likely to notice it when it occurs. The flip side is true as well. If you think people suck, guess what? They will.

Buen Camino
I guess I don't understand what you are looking for. Only you will know at the end if it reinforced your sadness about people or changed your heart. Don't seek for opinions outside of yourself. For that matter don't seek for happiness outside of yourself. As is being demonstrated, you will never find it. Do the Camino the way you want and see what happens! I'm excited for you. You WILL find what you are looking for. :) Sorry if this sound too philosophical...hey that's me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi ClaraRosa.
Check out runningelcamino.com - two 60 year old men ran 19 marathons in 19 days to raise money for an organization, check the website and look at 'etappene' to see the daily 'run' (in Norwegian, but you get the names of places and the distances). I guess one challenge for you may be sport injuries - like tendinitis, shin splints and plantar fasciitis. A good advice may be to switch between two pairs of shoes (a good advicee from the Norwegian marathon runner Ingrid Kristiansen), walk downhill - and listen to your body. Start out with shorter distances.... I walked camino frances in march last year - in snow, slushy snow, wind, rain in strong wind - and a few days with sun. I walked kind of slow - but long distances every day - starting with 25-30km first week, 30-35 the second week and about 40+km every day last week and the reminding days (I walked for 24 days). To me: walking all day and having some nice breaks wherever I felt like it (some breaks in 'nature' were incredibly short due to the weather) was the absolutely best thing. Walking through history, landscapes, throught northern Spain and seing glimpses of Spanish former richness an present poverty made me think a lot. I met lots of nice people, some just once - others several days in a row, I got two really good advice fom the male Spanish male camino veteran who had walked camino frances 25 times and mostly slept outside. First advice: I had plantar fasciitis: I used his tennis ball to roll my feet over - every break - it prevents and helps. I tried to sleep and the were some south american pilgrims partying very loudly in the albergue untill early morning - but around midnight I still couldn't sleep and was so tired, mad and frustrated and felt like telling them to calm down and be quiet - and asked the calm pilgrim veteran next to my bunk bed (also awake) if it was OK to ask them to be quiet. He said (second advice): 'Don't use energy on them - just relax, shut them out and you'll fall asleep'. I did. Took a few minutes. Using energy on negativity - is such a waste.
To end the story - next morning - one of the guys vomited really loudly - and had a terrible hangover - and walked quite slowly with a look that said 'terrible headache' : I wished him a really nice day, buen camino - and meant it - and smiled (and laughed a little bit to myself, I must admit).
Buen Camino - ClaraRosa - bring a tennis ball, use energy on positive matters, take care and have a very good time!

Hi Clara Rosa
I ran my last marathon some years back but the first thing I pack when I go on holiday is my running gear and have therefore run in some fabulous places around the world. Although I intend to walk my Camino a part of me will be wishing that I could run. Have a brilliant time and enjoy yourself.
Buen Camino

Buen Camino
You want to run? Mad in my opinion, but my opinion is not worth a tin of beans. If you want to run, you go right ahead and run. Anyone frowns, you just smile being happy doing what you want to do. Just dont run down some of the really steep slopes. I saw a lady running down a hill to a place called Acebo. Saw her next day in Ponferrada with torn hands knees and chin, yes, she fell. Didn't stop her though. Be ready to stop and walk at times though to chat with others, your faith in people will be renewed, believe me

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes I was wondering about that too. If you are watching this thread Clara Rosa I'd be curious to know if it has been helpful for you.

Clara Rosa,
By all means, do the Camino and do it at your own pace. Over the years I have met two female marathoners and one male Canadian long distance hiker. The first was a German girl in Arre just short of Pamplona. It was her second night out of SJPdP. She was traveling very light and seemed to be traveling with 2-3 like-minded girls. As part of a mixed country group eating tapas, everyone was wanting to hear her experiences and story.
The second was a 40ish Canadian woman in Foncebadon several Caminos later. At dinner she was also asked to regale us with her story. She was beginning to have repetitive foot/leg problems and slowing down after 550km but her husband was accompanying her in a sag wagon.
The last was a Quebecois who was part of my 'family' on my first Camino. I met him another year in Astorga--he was much happier at his new 35-45 km/day pace than he was with our first Camino of only 20-25. And he had found a lady from one of the Nordic countries that shared his love of long distances; so he had his Camino family and maybe even a Camino romance! Of course I never say any of these people again.
I would also note that at my relatively slow 4 km/hr, I could do 36km days in 9 hours--and on very rare occasions have done so.
So, make it your Camino at your favored distances!! I would recommend using www.godesalco.com/plan/frances to work out your stages for your desired distance. Most guides are aimed more at 33 days to cover the 800km.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen Camino

You do it your OWN WAY ..no way is wrong. Billions of people will never do this and will sit at home wasting away. Run, jog, walk, bicycle, donkey, wheel chair ( I did see those along the Way), walk it backwards, I saw two blind people being led by their loved ones ... the important thing is that you do it. No one has the right to disparage how you do it. I am quite envious that you would be able to do that. I saw people trekking the Camino with day packs and people were telling them they were cheating. NO they were not, they were doing it the best the could. Just do it as the worn out expression goes !

Buen Camino !!!! Jog away all you want ....lol

Buen Camino
It's your Camino. Go and 'do' what ever you want. Change to walking and talking when ever you want. I walked with a friend and we split half way. I was so happy to do so. I met a few good friends that I'm still in touch with. Your husband might not understand you when you first come home. Head in the clouds etc.

You do it your OWN WAY ..no way is wrong. Billions of people will never do this and will sit at home wasting away. Run, jog, walk, bicycle, donkey, wheel chair ( I did see those along the Way), walk it backwards, I saw two blind people being led by their loved ones ... the important thing is that you do it. No one has the right to disparage how you do it. I am quite envious that you would be able to do that. I saw people trekking the Camino with day packs and people were telling them they were cheating. NO they were not, they were doing it the best the could. Just do it as the worn out expression goes !

Buen Camino !!!! Jog away all you want ....lol
Well said.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back