• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning! Alert to women doing the Camino alone near Logroño - Please share

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEUK

Time of past OR future Camino
Doing the Camino on Easter 2014
My Daugther had a run in today w/ a pevert in the Camino, on the stage between Los Arcos and Logroño. She was walking alone 8km before Viana when a pevert jumped out of a bush, naked, wearing a black balaclava masturbating himself, she started screaming a ficticius name and ran away. He was not able to run after her. He was a white chubby male aproximately 1.75m tall.

Police in Viana was contacted and went looking for the perv, my daughter is Ok but still shaken, a fellow pilgrim that she had the phone number came back and walked w/ her to Viana, but she is not sure if she wants to continue.

I’m really distressed and sad, I did the Camino in 2014 and my wife did it in 2011, we only found kindness between pilgrims and in the vilages along the way. The experience changed our lives... maybe this is a sign of the times we are living.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow! New twist , no pun intended, to this business.

Don’t have reason to believe this one is not accurate...so don’t take it as such...but

Seems this guy would need:
1. Clothes close by
2. Time to dress
3. A means of transportation away bike, car etc
4. Have reasonable knowledge of trail
5. Have knowledge when to perform etc

Heard of all sorts. But this one is rather strange

Seems much easier ways to perform.

Only other “strange “ report was the guy who claimed a man tried to take his pack right off his back when he was walking.

Mmmm. Who wants a walkers pack? Who would be bold enough for such thing?

Praying reports are accurate, timely, and immediately told to police.

Last edited by a moderator:
"maybe this is a sign of the times we are living."

No my friend.

It is sign of all the things that oft times make me ashamed to be a man.

AEUK, if you see this, please tell your daughter I am so sorry she had to experience this, at any time, let alone on a Camino route.

Please also tell her, that the male pilgrim behind her, to her side and in front of her at this very moment, is most likely a good person and a source of help.

Buen (safe travels for you daughter) Camino

My Daugther had a run in today w/ a pevert in the Camino, on the stage between Los Arcos and Logroño. She was walking alone 8km before Viana when a pevert jumped out of a bush, naked, wearing a black balaclava masturbating himself, she started screaming a ficticius name and ran away. He was not able to run after her. He was a white chubby male aproximately 1.75m tall.

Police in Viana was contacted and went looking for the perv, my daughter is Ok but still shaken, a fellow pilgrim that she had the phone number came back and walked w/ her to Viana, but she is not sure if she wants to continue.

I’m really distressed and sad, I did the Camino in 2014 and my wife did it in 2011, we only found kindness between pilgrims and in the vilages along the way. The experience changed our lives... maybe this is a sign of the times we are living.

Buen Camino

So sorry to hear this. All my best wishes for your daughter. It only takes one pervert to ruin a day with many friendly pilgrims, or even an entire camino. I hope she finds the peace to decide what is best for her.

A similar incident was reported in 2016, Ivar posted about it on the forum. This happened between Belorado and Tosantos and the perp had a car. The description is eerily similar. The other victim mentioned an overweight man. It could well be that he has moved from one area to the other.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/incident-between-belorado-and-tosantos.44023/

Buen Camino
I'm sorry to hear that and hope your daughter is doing better. That's disgusting. Even for me solo@ 66 I would have beat his willy with my stick, sprayed him with my dye mace and marked him for a week. The police would surely find him. Normally I am a passive Christian. This is an outrageous act. Desperate times call for desperate measures. That and more! Leaving Pamplona today. Buen Camino

"maybe this is a sign of the times we are living."

No my friend.

It is sign of all the things that oft times make me ashamed to be a man.

AEUK, if you see this, please tell your daughter I am so sorry she had to experience this, at any time, let alone on a Camino route.

Please also tell her, that the male pilgrim behind her, to her side and in front of her at this very moment, is most likely a good person and a source of help.

Buen (safe travels for you daughter) Camino

So glad you posted this reply because although this incident, and all such occurrences are very unfortunate and unpleasant, please remember @AEUK that by throwing in the towel you/your daughter are giving that pervert power over you.

I hope that you both will be able to move on after this incident and continue your Camino.

Ultreia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The camino is in this respect not very much different from any other place.
In my home area in rural Germany similar incidents are reported two or three times a year.

If you consider the number of people walking the camino, you will find that it is more likely to find solo walking women - who are possible targets - on the camino than elsewhere.

So from the trespassers point of view, the camino offers a very good opportunity of presenting himself to (foreign) women without risking to be identified.

Thus you should be prepared that these things can happen to you when you are walking the camino. But you should not allow these reports to deter you from the camino.

Besides this, criminal statistics prove that men who expose themselves usually want to provoke some shocked reaction, which gives them the "kick", but they do not aim at having sexual intercourse with the women.

BC
Alexandra

I've heard of this happening before, and the woman started to record him with her phone and told him so, and he ran away immediately. Of course, it's hard to have your wits about you when something like this happens, but it is an idea.
I hope your daughter continues on her Camino, and hopefully she will always be able to find a walking buddy so she's never alone.
Buen Camino to her, should she choose to continue.

I have read too many stories and have met too many women personally who have been effected by this. It is disgusting. It is getting to the point that women will have to walk within shouting distance if not next to a man or a group at all times. It is pathetic
As the father of two young women this enrages me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino
:mad: That must have been a terrible experience.Lets hope it hasn't spoiled your daughters Camino.Thank you for sharing as we need to be more aware of the fact that not everybody on the Camino is a genuine peregrino.I leave Leon on 2nd June walking on my own so I will be a little wary but then I may not attract the attention your lovely daughter did as I am a little longer in the tooth;);)
Buen Camino

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Buen Camino
That is so so distressing! I hope they catch the awful man. Hope your daughter has enough kind pilgrims around her to give her the support she needs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just finish the Camino, a woman walking alone, and ran into one person who acted inappropriately, close to Leon on a lonely stretch of road. I hit him on the head with my walking stick, cursed him good, and he fled. Besides him I met a 1000 friendly, helpful men. It certainly didn't make me want to quit. It made me more assertive and feel more in love with all the good I encountered. .

It is disgusting and I feel for your daughter. It is not new, on the Camino or in the world. I was assaulted twice in Jerusalem in 1985. I hope your daughter made a police report and continues her Camino.

"Please also tell her, that the male pilgrim behind her, to her side and in front of her at this very moment, is most likely a good person and a source of help."
The female pilgrim behind her, to the side of her and in front of her, is a better source of help.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Distressing news. Hope all goes well as you decide on whether to continue Camino. A few years ago Ivar had a posting regarding AlertCops, the Spanish government app. I found it at www.alertcops.com/, and carry it on my iPhone as a guy in my later 60's. Just one more tool in the kit.

I just finish the Camino, a woman walking alone, and ran into one person who acted inappropriately, close to Leon on a lonely stretch of road. I hit him on the head with my walking stick, cursed him good, and he fled. Besides him I met a 1000 friendly, helpful men. It certainly didn't make me want to quit. It made me more assertive and feel more in love with all the good I encountered. .
You are a star!

Buen Camino
I wish your daughter could have the courage and attitude of Lisakline. I sincerely hope she has recovered her breath, and can continue.

"Please also tell her, that the male pilgrim behind her, to her side and in front of her at this very moment, is most likely a good person and a source of help."
The female pilgrim behind her, to the side of her and in front of her, is a better source of help.
I feel the tone is souring on men and that simply isn't what I have ever experienced with the gents (younger and older) I've met along the way. The "flasher" appears to be an opportunist hoping to derail the spiritual journey of a passerby. Likely he hasn't been in lock step with others on a Camino, for had he been, this behavior isn't the norm or condoned. I can't agree that women are a "better source of help." Perhaps the peregrina might feel less threatened surrounded by women, but I find men to be every bit as compassionate and concerned. I was somewhat abruptly approached by a female panhandler on the Portuguese. Had I not been in a rather busy setting, I would have found her to be a bit of a source to be reckoned with alone. Europe seems to be more civilized, less gun happy, than the U. S. I maintain that those with erratic and illogical behaviors are dealing with an internal camino that is harder, longer, and more debilitating than any of us realize. I can only imagine the conversations that are going on in that poor soul's mind. "Is this a sign of the times," someone asked. I believe it is. Mental illness is a huge issue.

Thank you @Lisakline ! I would have done the same thing. Every woman should feel empowered to do so. What's the perv going to do? Go to the police and say some foreign woman hit me in the balls? The first thing they are going to want to know is why. We can fight back. Thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. She did the right thing because she got away safely but striking back as Lisakline did is also an acceptable response when you are isolated.

A whistle in public places is effective for flashers because it draws attention to THEM. They want to keep getting their thrills from the women they target. When we all stand up and blow whistles, bop them with our poles they will look elsewhere for women less savvy.

Buen Camino

Please don’t give up. Encourage your daughter to seek others to “tag along with.” She can ID likely couples or other adults each evening when she stops for the day, or the following morning as people are setting out.

She does not have to become their new BFF. But keeping someone near, even 50 feet away will be enough to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. The pervs are looking for any woman walking alone. Age is no factor.

The Camino is safe. It truly is. As a regular volunteer at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago, I have taken women to the Policia Nacional in Santiago to report this same sort of thing occurring elsewhere, outside of Santiago.

I speak to the officers, as a retired US federal agent. I know I am getting the straight story.

The official position is that, in Spain, if there is no actual touching or physical contact, there is no serious crime (a felony). If the perv is caught, he gets a fine for making a public nuisance of himself, and disturbing the peace. It is considered a relative misdemeanor, as long as there is no touching. No touching, no jail...

The other thing I have gathered is that many small and remote towns and villages (but certainly not all) have a local person who is known by all to be mischievous in this or similar non-violent behaviors. Unfortunately, they tend to just shrug it off as “...crazy old Julio just doing his thing...”

The local police tend to shrug and say “...no touching, no problem.” The bad thing is that once touching occurs, things can go south quickly.

But, seeking “tag along status” will go a long way to boost your daughter’s confidence, and allow her to enjoy the awesome experience coming ahead.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but please, please don’t give up. Tell your daughter to find other folks her own age, or other apparently reliable adults and simply ask if they would mind if she tagged along for the morning...to help boost her confidence.

I sincerely hope this helps. The best part of the Camino Frances is still ahead.

Buen Camino
Terribly! That it happens also here!😢

Can we move this to thread to the Camino Crime Watch section admins! (Pretty please)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So sorry to hear this. All my best wishes for your daughter. It only takes one pervert to ruin a day with many friendly pilgrims, or even an entire camino. I hope she finds the peace to decide what is best for her.

A similar incident was reported in 2016, Ivar posted about it on the forum. This happened between Belorado and Tosantos and the perp had a car. The description is eerily similar. The other victim mentioned an overweight man. It could well be that he has moved from one area to the other.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/incident-between-belorado-and-tosantos.44023/
Hi Mina,
Thanks allot for your post and link.
The similarities of the 2016 case are too much to be a coincidence.
Spoke to my daughter yesterday and she recalled seeing a white taxi parked in the road, a few minutes before encountering the perv, while the path was closer to the road.
I am pretty sure now that he is a taxi driver, this explains why he is still around, the knowledge of the area and ability to attack in a broader area.
Let’s share the message for people to be aware of a white taxi, with an overweight white individual of approximately 1.75m.
Unfortunately my daughter did not see the brand of the car because it was far but it was a “rounded” car like a Citroen not a sedan.

To All, thanks for all kind messages, my daughter decided to continue the Camino and will take onboard all the advice given.

Buen Camino!
Andre

Hi Mina,
Spoke to my daughter yesterday and she recalled seeing a white taxi parked in the road, a few minutes before encountering the perv, while the path was closer to the road.
I am pretty sure now that he is a taxi driver, this explains why he is still around, the knowledge of the area and ability to attack in a broader area.
Let’s share the message for people to be aware of a white taxi, with an overweight white individual of approximately 1.75m.
Unfortunately my daughter did not see the brand of the car because it was far but it was a “rounded” car like a Citroen not a sedan.

To All, thanks for all kind messages, my daughter decided to continue the Camino and will take onboard all the advice given.

Buen Camino!
Andre

Hi Andre, I composed a letter for the Guardia Civil to inform them of these 'coincidences'. I strongly believe in reporting! and then I ran into trouble with their website and could not post the message.
I have asked @ivar to please pass the message on, I hope he will be more effective than I have been.

This forum is a force to reckon with and together we can make the caminos safer for everyone.

I hope your daughter walks on. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mina,

Buen Camino!
Andre
I am so glad for her. She will know, from you, that there are distant beacons of support and encouragement. May she, and you, be peaceful as she walks on to Santiago.

Hi Mina,

Buen Camino!
Andre

Glad your daughter decided to continue.

May Santiago safely guide her to him.

Buen camino her.

The only time I felt unsafe on the Camino was outside of Logrono. Approached by a man in a car slowly following me. He kept talking out the window. I tried to ignore him. A male pilgrim came up beside me and the man zoomed away. That was in 2009

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Andre...hope your daughter is finding comfort in her walk along the Camino after her ordeal, and kudos to her for continuing on. It's incredibly unsettling to have experienced what she did. I believe we are pretty trusting by nature...until something or someone casts doubt and mistrust. She has an opportunity to see and experience the Camino with folks who will help to rebuild frayed nerves and trust. How amazing her situation mimicked one posted years ago on this forum. The assistance and advice offered on Ivar's Forum, no matter what the thread, has always been so helpful in so many ways. You, along with forum members, may have put a couple of puzzle pieces together...enough to have solved the identity of the offender. Pretty amazing.

Don't forget that incidents of this kind happen everywhere, not just on the Camino. Also, they are relatively rare. I hate the way that women are told that they should walk in fear, never walk alone etc when the actual risk is small.

Hopefully the culprit will be caught and dealt with quickly.

Buen Camino
When I walked in 2017, there was a similar instance in the area between Sansol and Torres del Rio.....naked guy jumped out of the bushes, was masturbating, etc. It didn't happen to me, but I read about it after we were through Logroño. My understanding was that the woman involved called police, they looked for him - whatever. One would think if this type of thing happens repeatedly in those small towns, the police and the populace would have some idea who the perv is. I'm going again this fall, but I might just be carrying personal pepper spray with me.....sad, but a sign of the times.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.
Thx for sharing the app.

I remember walking the Portuguese Way in 2013. A guy was pulling his pud as I walked past . I was was walking with another girl and we ignored him and kept walking. The guys that do this are seeking attention and we both chose not to give him any and kept walking as if he wasn't there. Having a walking companion made it easier to be nonchalant.

I'm sorry to hear that and hope your daughter is doing better. That's disgusting. Even for me solo@ 66 I would have beat his willy with my stick, sprayed him with my dye mace and marked him for a week. The police would surely find him. Normally I am a passive Christian. This is an outrageous act. Desperate times call for desperate measures. That and more! Leaving Pamplona today. Buen Camino
Yeah I’m doing the Portuguese Coastal on June 1 . Im taking a panic button with a really loud alarm, Pepper spray and a Tazer 😂 nobody better mess with this NYC lady even though I live in Miami . I lived through these experiences and worse in NY so the better beware!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen Camino
I had the same experience in the same area and in Portugal between Lisbon and Porto.

I am so sorry for our sister pilgrim, please do not let this one demented soul, who must have mental health problems to behave like this, put you off your Camino. Be strong and continue!

I’m not sure How I would react if I were alone walking on the camino and this happened, however I would like to think I would be able to do what you would do SSojourn, that would put him out of action for a while and maybe think twice before doing it again!

Buen Camino 👣😀

Don’t have reason to believe this one is not accurate...so don’t take it as such...but

1. Clothes close by
2. Time to dress

Only other “strange “ report was the guy who claimed a man tried to take his pack right off his back when he was walking.

There are currently two pilgrims’ reports of very similar experiences on the Via De La Plata. I hope it doesn’t Increase. I have no reason to not believe them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was going to say exactly the same! Personally I would have been tempted to run towards him with a demented look of my face (not difficult for me to do!) and then watch him make a speedy exit. !

Sadly, no place is completely safe today....Not a school, a synagogue, a church or the Camino! Women, especially those walking alone should think through what to do in case of such an emergency. Of course, circumstances, such as the perpetrator’s mobility, action, and aggressiveness, etc., will dictate your immediate response. Carry a cell phone with 112 programmed in. Let somebody know where you are planning on going each day. Think abt. Pepper spray which is legal in Spain but not in Portugal. Sorry, but there are perverts and sick and sometimes violent people everywhere. There is no real safe place!
I think running away was the right choice! If you had run towards him you could have been injured. If you can avoid the possibility of confrontation and violence do so!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yeah I’m doing the Portuguese Coastal on June 1 . Im taking a panic button with a really loud alarm, Pepper spray and a Tazer 😂 nobody better mess with this NYC lady even though I live in Miami . I lived through these experiences and worse in NY so the better beware!

Warning....Pepper Spray is illegal in Portugal!

Nor has it ever been.

I traveled around Spain when I was 18 in the 1970s. I encountered exhibitionists four or five times. I also had men expose themselves to me in my home city in the US several times. I have never been assaulted (I'm not postulating what percentage of these public masturbators are also rapists... I don't know but I think it's small). It's shocking at worst and embarrassing at best. I don't mean to minimize this, but just to say it's been around for a long time and all over the world. I continue to walk alone.

I agree Jill that these exhibitionsts mostly do not attack. However when one is out, alone, and isolated, one should have a plan of action and never approach or charge the perpetrator...avoidance, if possibly ble is safest.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree Jill that these exhibitionsts mostly do not attack. However when one is out, alone, and isolated, one should have a plan of action and never approach or charge the perpetrator...avoidance, if possibly ble is safest.

Agree very much. I think it is good to know how to fight when you have no other choice - and here's hoping that that day may never come. But as long as you have a choice, don't start something that could make your situation worse. You're a stranger in a strange land, and the last one to arrive at the scene, you know nothing about what has been happening before. Save your energy, get away, call for help. Report.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... that would put him out of action for a while and maybe think twice before doing it again!

When someone is mentally ill and not thinking clearly, I doubt that you could expect "thinking twice" to produce a better outcome. A real possibility is that the next time they would show up better prepared - possibly with a knife or a gun.

... if there is no actual touching or physical contact, there is no serious crime ...

But "putting him out of action" would involve touching or physical contact. And this time the perpetrator would be you. It's likely that someone committing a non serious crime on you does not justify you committing a serious crime on them. You may be the one to end up in jail.

What do you normally carry at home?

Just to say that I think @C clearly’s post makes a good point. Some of us, but I bet it’s a very small percentage, probably do carry something at home, but I never have. I live in the US and as a woman walking alone I know that I am exponentially safer in Spain than in the US. But part of the fear comes from it being the unknown. In terms of statistical risk, though, I think most of us are much safer on the camino than at home.

I will also say that since I started walking untraveled caminos, the perhaps counter-intuitive result is that I have never seen another flasher. When you think about it, it’s really the increased numbers of walkers that make caminos a popular place for flashers. Who would want to wait for hours or even days alongside the Camino Levante, or any of the other many untraveled caminos, waiting for a single woman to walk by? I don’t mean to be dismissive, because having been flashed several times on different caminos, I know it is very unsettling. Luckily, most of these people are harmless, but @Kanga has taught me that that is not always the case and we should act quickly to get away when it happens. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Daughter had a run in today w/ a pevert in the Camino, on the stage between Los Arcos and Logroño. She was walking alone 8km before Viana when a pevert jumped out of a bush, naked, wearing a black balaclava masturbating himself, she started screaming a ficticius name and ran away. He was not able to run after her. He was a white chubby male aproximately 1.75m tall.

Buen Camino
I am very sorry this happened to your daughter. It shouldn't happen to anyone. It can be especially distressing when one has been led to expect positive encounters and a space for spiritual growth.

No one can tell your daughter how she should react to this. She will react as she reacts. It would be nice to recognize that this is something that rarely happens and that she is very unlikely to encounter again. It is also easy to say that these things (unfortunately) can happen anywhere and leaving the Camino doesn't necessarily reduce the odds of something like this happening again. When someone is shaken and distraught, these words do not always avail.

I hope your daughter finds good and supportive companionship with fellow pilgrims as she deals with what has occurred and that they help her find the desire to continue her Camino to a positive conclusion.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
If there is a single place in the world where there are not flasher guys, I would like to know about it.
I have never seen one in my life except in the Bahamas inside a resort

Please do not bring pepper spray, mace, etc. on the Camino. This is a path of peace. There may be a couple of wackos here and there, but weapons have absolutely no place here.
The "Path of Peace" is not being disturbed by Pilgrims but people harassing or stalking pilgrims. If you are reading the entire thread, women may have a concern for their peace

I've heard of this happening before, and the woman started to record him with her phone and told him so, and he ran away immediately. Of course, it's hard to have your wits about you when something like this happens, but it is an idea.
I hope your daughter continues on her Camino, and hopefully she will always be able to find a walking buddy so she's never alone.
Recording or taking a pic is very risky. If the perp believes you have evidence he is motivated to try to take the phone away from you. Think twice about this.

1. Clothes close by
2. Time to dress

Clothes nearby? I read the post to mean he hid his identity with a balaclava. I wouldn’t imagine he was wearing nothing but a balaclava.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... I wouldn’t imagine he was wearing nothing but a balaclava.
Why not?!

Ladies and Gents...bottom line: Be prepared every day that you wake up ALIVE! IF you so chose to carry any kind of 'protection' PLEASE be well trained in how to both use as well as take away, such 'protection'. Never carry more than you are well prepared to recover from your perpetrator.

Please do not bring pepper spray, mace, etc. on the Camino. This is a path of peace. There may be a couple of wackos here and there, but weapons have absolutely no place here.
Path of peace? Weapons have no place? Tell that to the Templars. Those weren't rubber chickens they carried with them. 😁

Path of peace? Weapons have no place? Tell that to the Templars. Those weren't rubber chickens they carried with them. 😁
That was a few centuries ago. I think the current Camino is more oriented to Santiago Peregrino than to Santiago Matamoros.

[Note: the above was a response to the post quoted, not a response to efforts by women to defend themselves as needed along the Camino.]

I am a woman. I have walked several caminos. I have seen flashers and somehow survived.
I am sorry some people are dedicated to fear, but I am not obliged to join them, much as they enjoy sharing their experiences and repeating scary stories they heard from wherever else.
Fear is corrosive, addictive, and contagious. Some people seem to seek it out and positively enjoy it!
I do not carry weapons, I will never carry weapons here because I respect the camino as a holy place of peace.
The great appeal of the Camino de Santiago is the tranquility, generosity, hospitality, and safety provided by fellow pilgrims and an infrastructure built over centuries. Fear, and weapons are unnecessary weight. They fly in the face of the whole ethos that draws the pilgrim to walk.
...Aside from that, just imagine what would happen if a pepper spray somehow was released inside a pilgrim albergue. Unlikely, sure.
About as likely as having it handy just when a naked wanker jumps out of the bushes.

Pepper spray and tazer are in most European countries illegal. But a nice load capsaicin on his private parts might heal him from his urges for awhile.

The fantasy of hurting a flasher is understandable, but I'm pretty sure assaulting them, spraying them, or initiating contact with them, will be considered an assault, not self-defense. Leaving the area, yelling, blowing a whistle, and calling the police are actions to try first.

I am new to the forum and I have heard several of these such stories since coming on. And I must say, I am at a loss. Has there been an increase in this type of behavior since last year (I did the Frances in 2018). I would say this type of behavior is the exception rather than the norm.

It is not my intent to minimize this type of behavior or suggest that it does not happen, because frankly I would be disturbed by it as well. I just have to say that my experience was amazingly devoid of any such misconduct. I did not witness or hear of any such behavior. I say all of this to say to the ladies as well as the men, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED to the point that you would let it ruin the beauty of this journey for you. Try as much as you can to shake it off and move forward. At the end of it all, I would hope that it would all have been worth it.

And, yes, a good kick in the balls couldn't hurt. Just saying!

Buen Camino

I was walking into Melide on 23rd April this year at around 13:15 pm past the factories on the N-547 the path veers to the left through an area of bushes and small trees where I saw a partially naked man doing his business, I had already read about such goings on so I wasn't particularly shocked but after shouting to him that he was a pervert, ( which he probably never understood) I quickly walked on but was a little worried as it was a very quiet part, most of these people are probably harmless but all the same it is terrible

I was walking into Melide on 23rd April this year at around 13:15 pm past the factories on the N-547 the path veers to the left through an area of bushes and small trees where I saw a partially naked man doing his business, I had already read about such goings on so I wasn't particularly shocked but after shouting to him that he was a pervert, ( which he probably never understood) I quickly walked on but was a little worried as it was a very quiet part, most of these people are probably harmless but all the same it is terrible
That particular area is such a nice quiet and shady place after the previous mile or so.

Buen Camino
It’s not the Camino that caused this it’s the pervert. I hope she continues and I would hope she is fine. Many girls 19 to 24 did the Camino deep Norte in March and were all fine. Many walked alone for weeks seeing no one. I did it then and am 53 and male. Non of the girls were phased. Only ever found kind people. It is NOT the Camino that caused the issue.

I understand why you say what you say about her finding a 'walking buddy'. However, you're perspective on this is completely wrong and does nothing to emancipate women. This world is this woman's and all other women and we have the right to walk where they want, when we want to without fear or feeling we need to be with someone. Men can walk anywhere they want to, at any time of day solo, and have well established power in doing things solo in public spaces, why should women feel they too can't have the same level of power, safety and ability to come and go anywhere we want to?! I do a lot of travel solo and it's not easy that's for sure. I'm stared at, ogled, I get quizzical glances about what I'm doing. What I'm doing is trying to live my life in freedom and do what I want to do - just as this woman was doing. It's not easy and takes courage & sometimes a defensive demeamour for women to withstand other people's reaction to us being solo but its absolutely imperative that we continue to do things solo - for only through showing continued presence in the world will women grow stronger and men who demonstrate this kind of behaviour realise that you're not going to send women back to their houses. Namaste

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not easy and takes courage & sometimes a defensive demeamour for women to withstand other people's reaction to us being solo but its absolutely imperative that we continue to do things solo - for only through showing continued presence in the world will women grow stronger and men who demonstrate this kind of behaviour realise that you're not going to send women back to their houses. Namaste

Eehm sorry but no. This perp's aim is most definitely not to send women back home, in fact, the more solo women pass, the merrier.

You are catering to his needs so to speak and he is probably grateful for it.

Eehm sorry but no. This perp's aim is most definitely not to send women back home, in fact, the more solo women pass, the merrier.

You are catering to his needs so to speak and he is probably grateful for it.
So is your answer not to walk alone then? 🤨

I understand why you say what you say about her finding a 'walking buddy'. However, you're perspective on this is completely wrong and does nothing to emancipate women. This world is this woman's and all other women and we have the right to walk where they want, when we want to without fear or feeling we need to be with someone. Men can walk anywhere they want to, at any time of day solo, and have well established power in doing things solo in public spaces, why should women feel they too can't have the same level of power, safety and ability to come and go anywhere we want to?! I do a lot of travel solo and it's not easy that's for sure. I'm stared at, ogled, I get quizzical glances about what I'm doing. What I'm doing is trying to live my life in freedom and do what I want to do - just as this woman was doing. It's not easy and takes courage & sometimes a defensive demeamour for women to withstand other people's reaction to us being solo but its absolutely imperative that we continue to do things solo - for only through showing continued presence in the world will women grow stronger and men who demonstrate this kind of behaviour realise that you're not going to send women back to their houses. Namaste
I agree with you but ... within reason....There are places in the world where I wouldn’t walk alone and sadly, for my safety, I have to accept that.

We are all entitled to have our own perspectives on this forum, and to express them, and I think for you to say that mine is completely wrong isn’t a fair statement. In a perfect world, women should be able to walk as free as a man, but sadly, that is not always the case. If it were my daughter, or anyone else’s for that matter, I would want her to do whatever it takes to be safe.

Last edited:
So is your answer not to walk alone then? 🤨

Oh my gosh! Did I write that? Did I ever give the impression that I am that binary? Living in a world where everything is either yes or no, or black or white with no shades in between? And only one possible conclusion? You are not being fair here.

The question is: are you walking alone? or are you one of a large group of solo walking women?
Like @peregrina2000 wrote earlier in this thread:

When you think about it, it’s really the increased numbers of walkers that make caminos a popular place for flashers.

I remember walking the Portuguese Way in 2013. A guy was pulling his pud as I walked past . I was was walking with another girl and we ignored him and kept walking. The guys that do this are seeking attention and we both chose not to give him any and kept walking as if he wasn't there. Having a walking companion made it easier to be nonchalant.

Your post is 100% spot on. Even if walking alone, the best response is no response, keep walking, and once out of the vicinity report it. I sat on the jury for a case against a man like this. The psychologists spoke to the panel to explain that it’s rare for one of these guys to be an actual threat unless you choose to physically engage them. Blow your emergency whistle as you leave. Yell ‘pene minúsculo’ from a safe distance if you need to (it will make for a funny story at the next cafe or bar where you stop to purge the incident from your Camino memories). Most importantly, forget the heroics and get out of there.

These guys are everywhere, including the next isle in mall stores and hobby shops, as well as across the tracks in the metro on the fringes of rush hours. Take control of the situation by maintaining control of yourself.

Buen Camino
??

Oh my gosh! Did I write that? Did I ever give the impression that I am that binary? Living in a world where everything is either yes or no, or black or white with no shades in between? And only one possible conclusion? You are not being fair here.

The question is: are you walking alone? or are you one of a large group of solo walking women?
Like @peregrina2000 wrote earlier in this thread:
I was trying to clarify because that is what I understood from your answer.... If that is not what you meant,then clearly it’s my mistake.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Clothes nearby? I read the post to mean he hid his identity with a balaclava. I wouldn’t imagine he was wearing nothing but a balaclava.

There was a masterbating ‘regular’ in the Paris Auber - L’Opera metro exchange who wore only socks, tie, and fedora while his work ensemble lay neatly folded next to his shoes. From across the tracks he looked to be an attractive 30ish clean cut office worker. I used to wave at him just to see if he’d let go.

I found a walking buddy several times and some of he lone female walkers did too. Many of us had chance to see and speak to a lot of people from around the world and rarely kept together for more than a few days. I mostly travelled alone. Many young girls did too and you sort of spend a day or two days with each buddy then moved on at your own pace. It’s a very very safe place northern Spain. It certainly seemed that way to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A tazer? Really? If you can get through customs you may as well take a gun! Absolutely no need for violence. A loud whistle would be much better.

It's very sad that you need to say that.
But I fully understand why :(

Wonder if there is a similar app for Italian police??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry this had to be one of your Camino memories. I would just highlight a few things that have already been said: 1) these men are usually cowards and are there simply for the reaction they get. They’re usually runners and not attackers. 2) it’s a lot to ask in a moment of panic but if you could get a photo, that would greatly help law enforcement. 3) yelling out to an imaginary Spanish male’s name is a good tactic. 4) do not underestimate the damage you and your hiking stick can inflict. Use it to defend yourself!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had a similar experience in Chicago on the L-train when I was just 20 years old. A man chose to sit next to me to do his "thing" under his trench coat. I was mortified, panicked and unable to walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I was walking on this part of the trail at around 8 am this morning. I noticed some strange materials along the path (some condoms, a pornographic picture, a pair of male underwear). The path is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back