• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning! Alert to women doing the Camino alone near Logroño.

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Moderators note: I moved this post to a new thread as it's an important issue and the other thread was an old one.

I had a very similar experience today, a few km before reaching Los Arcos. Not the same vicinity but within a days walk. I walked around a bend in the trail and just off the path, a large - rather rotund- man was standing there, naked, looking at me with a smile on his face and masturbating. I moved on as quickly as possible.

A woman was walking in the opposite direction and I stopped her to warn her about the man. She lives in the area and said she'd call the Guardia Civil - and take a picture if she saw him. She knew the area well and could take a detour on farm roads to avoid him.

So this thread seems relevant again, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know the OP was old but was looking through posts in this specific forum as I had a very similar experience today, a few km before reaching Los Arcos. Not the same vicinity but within a days walk. I walked around a bend in the trail and just off the path, a large - rather rotund- man was standing there, naked, looking at me with a smile on his face and masterbating. I moved on as quickly as possible.

A woman was walking in the opposite direction and I stopped her to warn her about the man. She lives in the area and said she'd call the Guardia Civil - and take a picture if she saw him. She knew the area well and could take a detour on farm roads to avoid him.

So this thread seems relavant again, unfortunately.
Kirsty, I have just seen your post. Thank goodness you were not harmed, physically. Also that you were fortunate to meet another person, a local into the bargain. Thanks for posting, it will help others who might not know what to do, in the panic of the moment. Stay safe, keep going...

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Kirsty. As a man it shames me to read that sort of thing. I walked the whole Camino in September/October 2019. The whole thing was problem free for me. However it did cross my mind that there are sections of the Camino where even as a man you would be vulnerable if walking solo and you were approached by a group that had malicious intent. For instance the section between Sahagun and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos passes through extensive areas of woodland beyond the railway track where I was solo and no other pilgrims around and so I felt quite nervous until I'd passed through it into the village beyond. Walking with another person is one obvious solution to increasing your safety but we all have the right to walk solo and be unmolested for it. I will mention just one incident before I sign off. I was passing through Columbrianos which is just beyond Ponferrada and the Camino follows the main road at that stage. I was walking along the right hand side of this road and I passed a young lady pilgrim on the left hand side after exchanging 'Buen Caminos'. A short distance afterwards I noticed ahead a middle aged man stood on the left hand side but who was wildly gesticulating with his hands and pointing down some alleyway between the local church and another building. He was dressed in what looked like some sort of artist's smock but the whole thing looked very very strange and suspicious. I'd seen no yellow arrows indicating that the Camino was branching off to the left so I was all set on totally ignoring this character,but the closer I got the more frantic he was gesticulating and pointing to the alleyway. I admit my heartbeat was around 200 beats per minute (almost per second). It just looked like the perfect set up for an ambush. But over the road I went and down the alleyway with all systems on Defensive Red Alert. I came out opposite the local albergue ..the San Blas I think, and thankfully safe and sound. But with horror I remembered the young lady that I'd just passed recently and it crossed my mind that maybe she was the target of this shenanigans so I stayed rooted to the spot just to see what happened next. I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish and I could hear him start to utter words to her in Spanish that he hadn't to me so I got really worried. There's no way I could move onwards until she got through safely...and she did get through safely, Thank the Lord. In fact that's how we got to meet after which we kept in communication all the way to Finisterre, walking together or in a group on a good number of those final days. We still communicate two years later even though I'm a Brit and she's from Florida!
I'll pray for you that the rest of your journey/adventure is problem free. For me it was a truly fantastic experience. I'm still (two years later)very slowly writing up my blog that describes it all day by day, currently on Day 13)...on tgcaminos.com.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year.

I had a very similar experience today, a few km before reaching Los Arcos. Not the same vicinity but within a days walk. I walked around a bend in the trail and just off the path, a large - rather rotund- man was standing there, naked, looking at me with a smile on his face and masturbating. I moved on as quickly as possible.

Thank you for sharing, @WestKristy.

@wayfarer who is a moderator of the forum mentioned the Spanish government's AlertCops app which you can download from the Appstore (for iPhones) here and on Google Play here. The app can be set to work in English and it is easy to use and user-friendly. The woman you met said that she would call the Guardia Civil. However, you are a direct witness. Would you consider downloading the app if you haven't done so and making a report? It is easy to do. It is important to report every such incident to the Spanish police. Thank you and Buen Camino!

Thank you for sharing, @WestKristy.

@wayfarer who is a moderator of the forum mentioned the Spanish government's AlertCops app which you can download from the Appstore (for iPhones) here and on Google Play here. The app can be set to work in English and it is easy to use and user-friendly. The woman you met said that she would call the Guardia Civil. However, you are a direct witness. Would you consider downloading the app if you haven't done so and making a report? It is easy to do. It is important to report every such incident to the Spanish police. Thank you and Buen Camino!
I actually spent my morning with the Guardia Civil. I was up through the night thinking about what happened and too felt like I should have called them right away. I regret that now. I went to an office in Los Arcos, met with a few officers and they drove me to Estella to look at photos of men that are suspected of such behaviour. I couldn't confidently ID anyone but filed a report, a description etc. Spent 2.5 hours with them this morning over all this.

I asked about the problem and they said it has been as issue over the last 4 or 5 years.

I've also since downloaded that app. Like I said, I really do regret not reporting it right away. The woman I met wasn't at all concerned and it turns out, didn't call them. Of course, it was my responsibility and not hers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kirsty. As a man it shames me to read that sort of thing. I walked the whole Camino in September/October 2019. The whole thing was problem free for me. However it did cross my mind that there are sections of the Camino where even as a man you would be vulnerable if walking solo and you were approached by a group that had malicious intent. For instance the section between Sahagun and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos passes through extensive areas of woodland beyond the railway track where I was solo and no other pilgrims around and so I felt quite nervous until I'd passed through it into the village beyond. Walking with another person is one obvious solution to increasing your safety but we all have the right to walk solo and be unmolested for it. I will mention just one incident before I sign off. I was passing through Columbrianos which is just beyond Ponferrada and the Camino follows the main road at that stage. I was walking along the right hand side of this road and I passed a young lady pilgrim on the left hand side after exchanging 'Buen Caminos'. A short distance afterwards I noticed ahead a middle aged man stood on the left hand side but who was wildly gesticulating with his hands and pointing down some alleyway between the local church and another building. He was dressed in what looked like some sort of artist's smock but the whole thing looked very very strange and suspicious. I'd seen no yellow arrows indicating that the Camino was branching off to the left so I was all set on totally ignoring this character,but the closer I got the more frantic he was gesticulating and pointing to the alleyway. I admit my heartbeat was around 200 beats per minute (almost per second). It just looked like the perfect set up for an ambush. But over the road I went and down the alleyway with all systems on Defensive Red Alert. I came out opposite the local albergue ..the San Blas I think, and thankfully safe and sound. But with horror I remembered the young lady that I'd just passed recently and it crossed my mind that maybe she was the target of this shenanigans so I stayed rooted to the spot just to see what happened next. I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish and I could hear him start to utter words to her in Spanish that he hadn't to me so I got really worried. There's no way I could move onwards until she got through safely...and she did get through safely, Thank the Lord. In fact that's how we got to meet after which we kept in communication all the way to Finisterre, walking together or in a group on a good number of those final days. We still communicate two years later even though I'm a Brit and she's from Florida!
I'll pray for you that the rest of your journey/adventure is problem free. For me it was a truly fantastic experience. I'm still (two years later)very slowly writing up my blog that describes it all day by day, currently on Day 13)...on tgcaminos.com.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year.
Thank you @Teej41 for your reply and well wishes! It's always disheartening to hear about people preying on the unsuspecting - whether on the Camino or elsewhere!

I'm only spending a week on the Frances this time around but have every intention of completing the full route in the future. I've done the Norte/Primativo and San Salvador solo without any issue. But what's surprised me this week is that there seems to be noone else walking this stretch at the moment. I knew it'd be quiet (time of year, Covid etc) but I never imagined sleeping alone in Albergues and not seeing anyone on the trail for days. That's what made yesterday's encounter so concerning once I had time to process it all.

While it's worrying, I also don't want to let this situation take away from what has otherwise been a wonderful experience! I'm a Canadian living in Spain and haven't seen my family for a few years now because of Covid. I didn't want to pass the holidays alone but thought the Camino has always been a source of joy for me so now seemed like a good time. Away from crowds and Covid. I've always enjoyed being alone en el campo and have had some truely memorable moments these past few days.

As mentioned in another reply on this thread, I've spoken to the Guardia Civil and they were fantastic. Drove me to a good place to resume my Camino and I now have the AlertApp and reassurances that they're just a call away. And of course, I so appreciate the messages on this forum!

Thank you @Teej41 for your reply and well wishes! It's always disheartening to hear about people preying on the unsuspecting - whether on the Camino or elsewhere!

I'm only spending a week on the Frances this time around but have every intention of completing the full route in the future. I've done the Norte/Primativo and San Salvador solo without any issue. But what's surprised me this week is that there seems to be noone else walking this stretch at the moment. I knew it'd be quiet (time of year, Covid etc) but I never imagined sleeping alone in Albergues and not seeing anyone on the trail for days. That's what made yesterday's encounter so concerning once I had time to process it all.

While it's worrying, I also don't want to let this situation take away from what has otherwise been a wonderful experience! I'm a Canadian living in Spain and haven't seen my family for a few years now because of Covid. I didn't want to pass the holidays alone but thought the Camino has always been a source of joy for me so now seemed like a good time. Away from crowds and Covid. I've always enjoyed being alone en el campo and have had some truely memorable moments these past few days.

As mentioned in another reply on this thread, I've spoken to the Guardia Civil and they were fantastic. Drove me to a good place to resume my Camino and I now have the AlertApp and reassurances that they're just a call away. And of course, I so appreciate the messages on this forum!
Well done for reporting the incident!

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

I have posted this before, but it bears repeating.......
I can't emphasis enough how important it is to report these incidents to the local law enforcement. Many times crime victims fail to report these occurrences for a multitude of reasons. (Denial, guilt, embarrassment, PTSD etc...)
As a retired homicide detective I can't enumerate how any times crimes have been solved because a crime victim/witness took the time to report something that may have seemed insignificant at the time (Not saying that this crime is insignificant) and had their incident documented and memorialized for later investigation.
In the event a suspect is later identified in a case like this or (God forbid) something even worse, all the little tidbits of prior information documented and memorialized can be gathered and presented for the purposes of identifying the suspect and to assist in the prosecution of the individual(s).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have posted this before, but it bears repeating.......
I can't emphasis enough how important it is to report these incidents to the local law enforcement. Many times crime victims fail to report these occurrences for a multitude of reasons. (Denial, guilt, embarrassment, PTSD etc...)
As a retired homicide detective I can't enumerate how any times crimes have been solved because a crime victim/witness took the time to report something that may have seemed insignificant at the time (Not saying that this crime is insignificant) and had their incident documented and memorialized for later investigation.
In the event a suspect is later identified in a case like this or (God forbid) something even worse, all the little tidbits of prior information documented and memorialized can be gathered and presented for the purposes of identifying the suspect and to assist in the prosecution of the individual(s).
Agreed, Bob. I worked Rape Crisis intervention for many years. Silence is deadly. Attitudes have changed, I am happy to observe: Some years ago I was driving up to The Big City for a conference when ahead on a long lonely stretch of road I saw a car pulled over. I am from the generation where you check to see if someone needs help, so I slowed down, only to find the driver at the side of the road with his trousers down, masturbating, smirking. When I got to the city I immediately went to the office of the state police, where I was ridiculed and laughed at by the officer and the secretary. It was obvious once again why survivors of sexual assault are reluctant to report.
I am happy such things are nowadays more openly spoken about, and officials in some places actually are prepared to intervene.

Thanks for the replies here! I also wanted to mention the importance of telling someone your walking plans - particularly for us solo travellers on quiet routes. I used to work in Emergency Management in Canada and had search & rescue colleagues. Time and time again, people would go off hiking but not tell anyone where they were off to. When they didn't return, no one had a clue where to look for them.

Of course, this is hiking in Canada where there's often no cell reception. I've had reception the whole way thus far so can call if help is needed. But should I run out of battery, drop my phone etc etc, I appreciate the fact that I've been in contact with a friend (who is also on the Frances at the moment, but cycling many stages ahead of me) at regular intervals and we know each other's plans. Should one of us not check in, we can call the planned Albergue/hostal or officials, if it seems particularly worrying.

Walking solo is a great experience but not without its risks. I really appreciate the posts above about having emergency numbers/apps preprogrammed/installed in advance of walking. We can also share walking plans with others -particularly when the Camino/route is quiet, as I'm finding it now - and check in regularly with friends and/or family.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back