• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Warning - Diversions on Cahors to Montquc Route

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
This morning, July 13, the Pont Valentre bridge in Cahors was closed. (It was open yesterday) We had to detour to another bridge then cut back to the trail, approximately 30 minutes. No idea if it has reopened, so plan accordingly.

At about 6 kilometers from Montquc, there's a divergence to the left. It leads to the trail from hell. Literally tens of thousands of worms hanging by silk threads from trees. I recommend doing whatever is necessary to avoid this detour! We were covered in threads and worms by the end of this terrible trail.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The pont Valantre may be closed for Bastille (14th July) day celebrations. Not that that helps you out! Bon Chemin...

It super sucked when I found out people were still able to cross at 6:30. It's like they purposely waited to inconvenience the most people possible. Thanks, Cahors.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Ray....do you have any idea why the route to Montcuq was diverted. This is exactly were I will be in September. Thanks

Sorry, I don't know. It read "Securité" and pointed us in the opposite direction we expected. Since you know about it, you will probably be able to scope it out.

The locals said the worms weren't bad all year long so you may be OK. If not, the best advice I heard was to put on your rain gear and run. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi I'm actually right here now. I don't know why the route is diverted but was in those woods yesterday and will be again today. The "worms" are all gone. It seems to have been a plague of caterpillars that have attacked all the local box hedges. The caterpillars eat their way through the hedge and then cocoon. Then thousands of white butterflies are released and it starts all over again. Whole mountain sides have been eaten away.
For anyone else travelling if the diversion is still in place (and it seems to be, I meet 5 people there yesterday) then there is a lovely 12C church just off the track if you need somewhere cool to rest. As you go through the woods you come to a Y junction leading to a clearing. Your route continues through the woods to the right and is signposted GR Montcuq. But if you take the track ahead through the clearing the chapel is 500m ahead on your left. The front door is unlocked and light switch on the left. Through the gate and into the graveyard will bring you to a water tap. Its a nice place to rest a while and the views are lovely. Early yesterday morning the valleys where covered in mist. Just now it was raining but sun is shining through.

Also was told this area is full of these small chapels and if the door us locked the key is normally hidden close by....always look for a flower pot or if not a stone that it could be under. I have no proof of this, just passing on local knowledge

OK have double checked, the diversion seems to be just to take you off the main road. You leave the road and travel south through the woods and join up with the main route again with about 200m left on roadway before a nice trail again. You can stick to roadway if you want. Woods add about 0.5km to your journey and will take you down a hill and then up a hill.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Saturday morning 9th Sept:
Torrential rain all night and still raining now but lighter. The track through the woods has a steep 1km descent which I imagine is treachorous this morning, the road will be safer today.

Hi all
I walked through there a couple of days ago. I took the diversion and others went on the original paths. Those that took the original path did not notice any dangers.
There was just one "worm" which is actually a caterpillar dangling on a thread looking to hitch a ride from an unsuspecting pilgrim:)

I think the "danger" is just that it is on the main road.
The caterpillars should be mostly gone now. There is a sign on the way into the woods warning about them.
Apparently each butterfly lays 30, 000 eggs which eat their way through the box hedges and they breed 3 times this summer...a complete plague.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back