• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning! Don't go to Atocha station in Madrid without coins in your pocket if you have to pee!

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So I arrived in Madrid Barajas about 2:15, and immigration took a while. I was finally free to continue my travels around 3:15. Now I was a little nervous about catching my train at Atocha at 4:23, so I skipped the bathroom at the airport, deciding I better get to the train station first.
I made it to the train station by 3:45, giving me plenty of time... But I really had to pee! Turns out, now the bathrooms at the station are "pay as you go" 60 cents. I had no monedas in my pockets, staring at my 50 euro bills futilely in the aseo. I left, still having to pee, and was forced to buy a beer so I had change for the bathroom. Still had plenty of time and I enjoyed my beer. The moral of the story is I never remember the importance of the coins until I really really need some. (laundry, vending, needing to pee st Atocha.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to use a pay washroom in the bus depot at Burgos and a woman coming out of a stall held the door for me so I would not have to pay. Much appreciated.

The moral of the story is I never remember the importance of the coins until I really really need some. (laundry, vending, needing to pee st Atocha.)
Thank you SO much for this post as I will be at that very train station on Monday the 16th. I don't currently have any change so guess I will have to get some!
Wow 30 Euros for a taxi - I will try to get a cheaper means to get over there if I can. Hope your camino is wonderful!

Ang

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used the Cercanias from T4 to Charmartin last month on my way to Burgos. I bought my Renfe ticket at the Renfe office at T4 rather than ordering it on line because I didn't know if I'd make the connection time wise. I ended up having plenty of time. The Renfe ticket seller apologized numerous times that I would have to change trains in Valladoid. I assured her no problem as I wanted to get to Burgos as early as possible!! She issued the Cercanias ticket at the same time and her assistant even walked me over to the entrance to the Cercanias portal - him chatting away in Spanish the entire time even though I could only understand every 10th word...

Um. They have this line of little white cars right outside the baggage claim area that take you wherever you tell them to. Next time and with more time maybe I'll be more adventurous. The taxi was 30 euro flat rate.
I took the Cercanias last year there we had 5 hours to get to Atocha. This year I only have 2 hrs and 15 min. I know the Cercanias takes about 25 min. How long did the Taxi take ? If I just miss the Cercanias I will have to wait 30 min for the next one so I may end up taking a taxi ( also just in case I am delayed and need to get to Atocha asap) I have a European Passport so will hopefully get through customs fast. I do have to get my checked poles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
is this the train that goes from the airport to the train station? I have already purchased my train ticket...so I could catch this over to the train station? is that correct?
Yes you have to go to T4 and it will leave from there. It takes about 25 minutes and leaves every 1/2 hour I believe.

I believe I have to take an underground rail from T4s (where American Airlines lands) over to T4 - is that correct? and if I already have my train ticket where or how do I get the ticket for the cercanias?
thank you for your help!
I think you do indeed. Last year I flew in from Lisbon so I arrived at a different terminal and had to take a 10 min bus shuttle. This year I also arrive at T4s which is from what I read only a few minutes from T4

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I believe I have to take an underground rail from T4s (where American Airlines lands) over to T4 - is that correct? and if I already have my train ticket where or how do I get the ticket for the cercanias?
thank you for your help!
If I recall there are ticket machines next to where you board the Cercanias. And also a ticket sales booth. Show them your renfe ticket and they will give you the Cercanias ticket. If you use the ticket machine there is a code on your Renfe ticket you must enter for a free ticket

thank you for your help!
I would think you could just go to the Renfe office in T4 (which is inside and directly in front of the cercanias portal entrance), show them your pre-paid Renfe ticket and ask for the free cercanias ticket. They should then issue you the correct cercanias ticket for the train station you'd be leaving out of.

€60,-
thank you for your help!

Hi, Angie,
Yes, there's a rail link between T4S and T4. Cercanias is well indicated as you head towards the exit -- it's a white "backwards" C on a red background (you can see the logo here: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/ (Up in the top on the left). There is a RENFE office there (Cercanias are also part of the larger national train system RENFE, they are just the commuter rail part of the system).

I took the Cercanias last year there we had 5 hours to get to Atocha. This year I only have 2 hrs and 15 min. I know the Cercanias takes about 25 min. How long did the Taxi take ? If I just miss the Cercanias I will have to wait 30 min for the next one so I may end up taking a taxi ( also just in case I am delayed and need to get to Atocha asap) I have a European Passport so will hopefully get through customs fast. I do have to get my checked poles.

I also use a European passport going through immigration in Barajas and it can save you a LOT of time depending on flight arrivals. But all the time you save in passport control may be eaten up waiting for luggage. I think the time between the plane's landing and the first bag coming off the conveyor belt in T4 is the longest of any airport I have ever used. (But I will bite my tongue here and resist suggesting an easy way for you to avoid that problem. :)). Good luck with the transfer. I think the taxi will take you about a half hour if traffic cooperates. The route doesn't require going through Madrid north to south, because of all the M routes (kind of beltways) that have been built around Madrid.

Buen camino, Laurie

I've always taken the express bus from Barajas to Atocha station. I think it cost 5 euros. About 40 minutes. It makes one stop at the north end of the Prado.
I made it to the train station by 3:45, giving me plenty of time... But I really had to pee!
And thanks for the reminder about this Damien. I'd forgotten this crucial information about pay-toilets.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've always taken the express bus from Barajas to Atocha station. I think it cost 5 euros. About 40 minutes. It makes one stop at the north end of the Prado.

Yes, that express airport bus is another good option. I think Madrid Man's blog gives one of the best explanations of how it works. http://madridman.com/blog-madrid/2012/01/madrid-airport-express-shuttle-bus/

But here is the official airport link as well. http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/transportation/madrid-airport-bybus.htm

Yes, that express airport bus is another good option.

Specially for those arriving to Terminal 1 or to Terminal 2. The downside is that it's more expensive than the Cercanías. And it's useful for those with trains out of (Puerta de) Atocha but not for those with trains out of Chamartín.

But here is the official airport link as well.

That's not the official web of the airport. This is the official web of the airport: www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en (click on Transport and Access on the left hand menu and, later, on city buses on the central menu to get info about the Express bus).

The web of the EMT (Madrid's Municipal Transport Enterprise) has also info about the Express bus from the airport to Atocha train station: www.emtmadrid.es/Bloques-EMT/Aeropuerto.aspx?lang=en-GB

The other moral of the story is to never pass up the opportunity to pee in an open bathroom. Older people learn that really quickly as the bladder starts to torture us. :)

So did you take Cercanias from the airport to Atocha? Any reports on how that went? Buen camino, Laurie
The other moral of the same story is to never pass up the opportunity to drink a beer if you have enough time ;)
You won't be thirsty and you'll end up with plentiful od spare coins for a toilet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The other moral of the same story is to never pass up the opportunity to drink a beer if you have enough time

"Other" moral? That's the only moral that I got out of the story ;)

But yes, carrying change for the bathroom is important. My husband loves to pay for things in exact change, so he'll use up all the spare change - I have to keep my own stash specifically for bathrooms or I will find myself without when I need it.

"Other" moral? That's the only moral that I got out of the story ;)

But yes, carrying change for the bathroom is important. My husband loves to pay for things in exact change, so he'll use up all the spare change - I have to keep my own stash specifically for bathrooms or I will find myself without when I need it.
Well, you know Brian... ;)
Just trying to be a bit more correct in case minors are reading this too. Had problems with mods before :D

I had no monedas in my pockets, staring at my 50 euro bills futilely in the aseo. I left, still having to pee, and was forced to buy a beer so I had change for the bathroom. Still had plenty of time and I enjoyed my beer. The moral of the story is I never remember the importance of the coins until I really really need some. (laundry, vending, needing to pee st Atocha.)
I think you're missing the real life lesson here . . . beer makes everything better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be checking my bag, so with that in mind is the bus or commuter train closer to where you pick up luggage? :)
This is the only transportation part I don't have lined out in my mind as to how and get to the train station. Definitely don't want to miss that train, as I will be quite tired and still need to get to Pamplona. I have 3.5 hours from when my plane land until the train leaves for Pamplona.

thanks!

I also use a European passport going through immigration in Barajas and it can save you a LOT of time depending on flight arrivals. But all the time you save in passport control may be eaten up waiting for luggage. I think the time between the plane's landing and the first bag coming off the conveyor belt in T4 is the longest of any airport I have ever used. (But I will bite my tongue here and resist suggesting an easy way for you to avoid that problem. :)). Good luck with the transfer. I think the taxi will take you about a half hour if traffic cooperates. The route doesn't require going through Madrid north to south, because of all the M routes (kind of beltways) that have been built around Madrid.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie. Well I have a "back up plan" . I will try the Cercanias.....if I just miss it I will take a taxi.....and worst case....if I miss the train all together.....I try to take the next one LOL....I am not too worried about all. I gave myself a full day between arriving in Madrid (June 10th ) and going to SJPP (June 11th) . Either way, I will start walking June 12th. and oh ps......to go back to Damien's original post ha ha, I will try to make a bathroom stop shortly before landing so I am good for awhile :) I also have some coins from last year and will bring those too !!!!

I will be checking my bag, so with that in mind is the bus or commuter train closer to where you pick up luggage? :)
This is the only transportation part I don't have lined out in my mind as to how and get to the train station. Definitely don't want to miss that train, as I will be quite tired and still need to get to Pamplona. I have 3.5 hours from when my plane land until the train leaves for Pamplona.

thanks!

This is Aena Madrid Airport official website.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/Adolfo-Suarez-Madrid-Barajas.html

On the right side of the page there is a button marked 'Airport Maps'

If you clik on the link you get to this page:
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&ca=MAD&pagename=cartografia&ps=e&utm_source=Web+Aeropuerto&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=MAD-Banner+Cartograf�a

There are three tabs upper left. One is marked 'Terminals'

Clik Terminal T4 and there is a list of options.

If you clik 'Arrivals' You will find a button marked 'Baggage claim' and an icon will appear on the map indicating the location.

If you clik 'Transport' You will find a button for buses, local Renfe trains (aka Cercanias), Underground (Metro) and connections between terminals.

It is suggested that you make a sketch or a print out so that you won't waste time trying to get oriented.

The EMT express #203 bus to Puerta de Atocha can be boarded at any of the local bus stops.

The boarding locations for Cercanias train and Metro are self explanatory.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

thanks!
3.5 hrs will be plenty. I thought last year that I would be exhausted after arriving in Madrid (2 hour car ride to Miami airport, flight to Lisbon, 2 hr layover in Lisbon then flight to Madrid) My son and I arrived at our Pamplona hotel and freshened up and walked to the square and sat there for at least 3 hrs enjoying the food and wine and "being in Spain" . We had a great night of sleep and then a rest day in Pamplona........then we started walking. This year I will not have a rest day in Pamplona but use that day to get to SJPP and relax a bit.

3.5 hrs will be plenty. I thought last year that I would be exhausted after arriving in Madrid (2 hour car ride to Miami airport, flight to Lisbon, 2 hr layover in Lisbon then flight to Madrid) My son and I arrived at our Pamplona hotel and freshened up and walked to the square and sat there for at least 3 hrs enjoying the food and wine and "being in Spain" . We had a great night of sleep and then a rest day in Pamplona........then we started walking. This year I will not have a rest day in Pamplona but use that day to get to SJPP and relax a bit.
so good for me to hear of this experience! I hope I am not totally wiped out and from your post maybe I will be as lucky and feel pretty good once I get to Pamplona! I have never taken a train before...so that will be new! Do they make you stow your backpack in a cargo area or do you get to keep it with you??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

You are pretty tight for time. I would estimate the taxi to be about forty minutes ... that based on the time of journey for the airport express bus #203. Don't forget there is time required to board the train too ... it leaves at the time on the ticket.

The other alternative is the Metro ... it takes up to an hour with transfers but it leaves every 6 minutes or so. It might be faster than Cercanias because it runs more frequently.

so good for me to hear of this experience! I hope I am not totally wiped out and from your post maybe I will be as lucky and feel pretty good once I get to Pamplona! I have never taken a train before...so that will be new! Do they make you stow your backpack in a cargo area or do you get to keep it with you??

There is a baggage stowage area at the end of the car at the entrance. You leave your pack there and take your shiny stuff with you. You can access your pack anytime during the trip.

You simply keep it with you. At least that is what we did !!!! Our excitement just kept us going. I have traveled to Europe very often and always have a jet leg except last year starting the Camino :) There is some nice scenery along the ride. You will see 1 or 2 castles, hills etc. You can buy some snacks, wine, beer, soda or coffee on the train. Once you get to (lovely) Pamplona you can take a taxi to where you stay (we did last year) This year I will walk to the hotel because I am familiar with the city now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are pretty tight for time. I would estimate the taxi to be about forty minutes ... that based on the time of journey for the airport express bus #203. Don't forget there is time required to board the train too ... it leaves at the time on the ticket.

The other alternative is the Metro ... it takes up to an hour with transfers but it leaves every 6 minutes or so. It might be faster than Cercanias because it runs more frequently.
I know it's tight . I just hope my plane will be on time, if not......I will just relax and get to Atocha as fast as I can. If I miss my train, I'll try the next one ( too bad for the extra $ but so be it) If I can't get on a train that night ....I'll find a hotel near Atocha and get a train the next morning . As soon as I arrive in Madrid I am in "Camino mode" meaning........relax, take one step at the time and all will work out :)

Great AND valuable info for all.
Though I am confused about the OP's "coins in the pocket" suggestion.
If you are standing: should you even out the number of coins in each pocket? Too many, or too few may cause you to list to one side, or the other. Thus causing the zipper to possibly pinch the extension.
If you are a squatter...there is the possibility your coins may pour out onto the floor. And who knows where that floor has been:eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The other moral of the same story is to never pass up the opportunity to drink a beer if you have enough time ;)
You won't be thirsty and you'll end up with plentiful of spare coins for a toilet.

Only problem with that strategy, IMO, is that drinking beer in order to get change to go pee creates a never ending cycle of having to drink more beer to get more coins to go to the bathroom more often.

This is Aena Madrid Airport official website.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/Adolfo-Suarez-Madrid-Barajas.html
If you clik 'Arrivals' You will find a button marked 'Baggage claim' and an icon will appear on the map indicating the location.
It is suggested that you make a sketch or a print out so that you won't waste time trying to get oriented.

The best laid plans can go wrong, though.
I flew into Barajas Terminal 4 a couple of years ago, with a folding bike to ride the Camino de Madrid. I had intended to unpack the bike at the airport and ride into the city. (Possibly a crazy idea). I had completely memorised the route from the airport entrance to my Hostal in Sol. Unfortunately, on arrival, we were put on a train which took us to baggage collection, but when I wheeled the bike out of the entrance doors, it turned out I was at Terminal 4S, which trust me is nowhere near Terminal 4. I don't know if this is normal practice at Barajas.
Needless to say, I refolded and bagged the bike and caught the bus!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is funny, because I have 1,70 in euros left over from my last Camino....I couldn't find anywhere to exchange it back to American $--they only took bills. So, I have my emergency potty money at hand!

only 19 more days!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back