• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: el norte

patk

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, De la Plata, Norte, Portugal, Primitivo, Ebro, Madrileno, Norte again (2016)
I posted a warning about a creep in a white van between Ribadeo and Vilela who followed a lone peregrina and masturbated in front of her.
I reported it but i should add, if something like this happens try to get the car number so he can be traced. Also ring 112 the emergency number. In Galicia there is a police app you can get for immediate response. Don't ignore these incidents.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In this crazy age in which we live, I'd never walk completely alone without a fellow peregrino being close by. In June, between Astorga and Rabanal, three of us heard a "hello" from the shrubs but when we didn't' see anyone and returned the "hello," there was no response. Oddly, there was also a chair by the path just a few feet from the shrubs. As I've thought about this more and more, I believe the voice came from someone planning to attack or rob a lone pilgrim, but when he/she heard three replies, there was no action taken.

This is becoming really worrying. I really prefer to walk alone. In July on Vdlp I really enjoyed because most days I have not met anybody. On the last day - La Bañeza-Astorga (25km) is all "hermitages" and magical, beautiful (including "abstinence crisis" due to coffee ;)).
I wonder whether it is more likely to encounter such a creep in a more populated routes (waiting for lonely women), or on less frequented routes? Until now I was not worried now slowly becoming:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you worry too much about things that are unlikely to happen you wouldn't leave the house. Hearing someone say hello but not seeing that person might be a bit unnerving, but it's a big leap to suggest that person was waiting to attack someone.
Sensible advice is good. Scaremongering helps no one.

If you worry too much about things that are unlikely to happen you wouldn't leave the house. Hearing someone say hello but not seeing that person might be a bit unnerving, but it's a big leap to suggest that person was waiting to attack someone.
Sensible advice is good. Scaremongering helps no one.
Am sorry,but I cannot agree with some of this post
The first 2 posts are trying to warn people, not scare them and I think these posts make women more aware of what could happen and help them to be more vigilant.
It's not a good thing to say to these ladies that they are scaremongering ,when indeed they are relating to us what incidents have occurred.
Forum members may then be reluctant to post this information if they are replied to in this manner.
Also I think it's necessary to let people know when and where these incidents occur...as well as the police of course.
Also dear kayagee66 ......these creeps always target women ..not men.!!
And lone women at that!!!
So ladies ..don't be frightened...be vigilant..be aware
Best wishes Annette

The second post is not much of a warning really. The only thing the pilgrims saw was an empty chair and the only thing they heard was somebody saying hello. The poster was not even sure if the voice was that of a man or that of a woman.

I believe the voice came from someone planning to attack or rob a lone pilgrim, but when he/she heard three replies, there was no action taken.

The conclusion is just an assumption with no real base. Could have been/could not have been the intend.

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are remotely concerned, there is no reason to walk alone.

Pick people who stayed where you stayed last night, or where you plan to stay tonight. Assess their character as you would when meeting anyone. If the "vibe" feels right, ask them if you can tag along tomorrow, or if today, for a while. "Tag alongs" are a long-standing Camino practice. You do not need to telegraph your anxiety or worry, Just telling someone that you would feel better with someone you "know" within shouting distance.

You need never walk alone, unless you choose to.

I hope this helps.

......these creeps always target women ..not men.!
Dear Annette london, that is simply not true. Men are often the victims of violent crime. Male on male rape is under reported. And as for the case for the man in the white van in the original post, the same thing happened to a good friend of mine one morning while he was working as a postman.

I wrote in my blog of an incident where I was followed, I believe, with a bad intention, I'm guessing robbery. I became aware instantly that something was not right with the situation but rather foolishly did not stop and wait for another pilgrim to keep me company. I certainly would wait for company if I ever felt like this again. I am a great believer in not acting like a victim, but common sense should have prevailed a lot sooner. As a consequence I spent a couple of hours walking in a somewhat agitated state. You can read about it here where I also mention incidents of masterbating that I was told about.

The incident I experienced was between Luarca and
La Caridad, the other incidents happened somewhere on the Norte before this stage but I don't know where.

On my next Camino I think I will carry a squeezy bottle of lemon juice that I can squirt into the eyes if a close up situation occurs. It will also be useful for a nice drink of hot lemon to set me up in the mornings!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I posted a warning about a creep in a white van between Ribadeo and Vilela who followed a lone peregrina and masturbated in front of her.
I reported it but i should add, if something like this happens try to get the car number so he can be traced. Also ring 112 the emergency number. In Galicia there is a police app you can get for immediate response. Don't ignore these incidents.
Last october 4th the same type of incident happened to an American woman un the same área, she did not report to the Police, a White van a well

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back