• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: fake donation collecto on the Camino Francesrs

onix320

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2015 summer
Dear pilgrims,

I didn't see a word about this on the forum, but maybe there is, but it isn't bad, if you know, that according to the Spanish Police, in the last few months there were a few cases, when someone was asking for a donation on the route, having some paper, where you have to write your name, postal code, and the money you give. In addition, mostly they have on the paper fake names with fake donations(e.g. 20€, so you will feel, like you ought to give about the same money)
Basically on the paper you find that they are collecting money for blind, deaf, disabled people. In some cases, the person, who's collecting the donation, seems to be deaf as well.

The Spanish Police noticed, that it's a fake, they don't know anything about this activity. Anyway, if someone does this, would need an identification. The location where I met a woman, trying to collect some money, was before Cacabelos, but I think, maybe they move sometimes.

Keep your eyes opened guys. Buen Camino :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We met one of these women. I am trying hard to remember exactly where it was. It was just as we left a main road to go into a village. I think maybe it was in the Astorga area but can't remember precisely. She was in a field and was pretending to be working, but then on seeing us she suddenly stepped out of the field onto the road in front of us. She pretended to be deaf and showed us the clipboard which said something about deaf people. There were people's signatures maybe about 10 or so and they had quite large amounts of money like 20 Euros and 30 Euros. I quickly said to my husband 'they want money, let's not do it' and he said 'no' and she backed off. I think she could tell we really meant 'no' and anyway if you are pretending to be deaf there is not a lot you can say!! We asked some other pilgrims if they had come across anyone doing this and if they had given money. One said they gave 1 Euro and the person acted annoyed it was not more but they just refused more. This pilgrim said he saw them in more than one place. Another pilgrim gave 10 Euros. I asked if she didn't think that maybe it was a scam. She said she did think of it but this was what she felt she could afford and she felt that if it was a scam it would be on that persons own conscience. I have seen this mentioned on other places in this forum.

I met up with the "mute" girls at the Galicia stone marker in October 2013. When I met up with my Family later the same day I asked if they had contributed to the cause.
I should have been wearing my asbestos underwear. I was roundly reprimanded for falling for the oldest trick in the book.
I promised I will not be so gullible going forward........but to my defence they had an official looking clip board and pen.........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since years they have been the same women performing this scam. When they see me they are quickly picked up by a car and change their location 10 or 15 kms. I've met the same people in Santiago. They shift before the police arrive. A similar racket is by the women at the entrance of the Santiago cathedral. They are the same and there since years, with the same written story of being unemployed and with many children. It must be a profitable business:confused:

Dear pilgrims,

I didn't see a word about this on the forum, but maybe there is, but it isn't bad, if you know, that according to the Spanish Police, in the last few months there were a few cases, when someone was asking for a donation on the route, having some paper, where you have to write your name, postal code, and the money you give. In addition, mostly they have on the paper fake names with fake donations(e.g. 20€, so you will feel, like you ought to give about the same money)
Basically on the paper you find that they are collecting money for blind, deaf, disabled people. In some cases, the person, who's collecting the donation, seems to be deaf as well.

The Spanish Police noticed, that it's a fake, they don't know anything about this activity. Anyway, if someone does this, would need an identification. The location where I met a woman, trying to collect some money, was before Cacabelos, but I think, maybe they move sometimes.

Hi, think I met the same woman at the same place this year. When I past here she was talking to some people. Probably the same woman you describe. Wish you well, Peter.

I met up with the "mute" girls at the Galicia stone marker in October 2013. When I met up with my Family later the same day I asked if they had contributed to the cause.
I should have been wearing my asbestos underwear. I was roundly reprimanded for falling for the oldest trick in the book.
I promised I will not be so gullible going forward........but to my defence they had an official looking clip board and pen.........

I fell for this scam at the Paris airport...

And that clipboard did look over official!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Saw the same group of women a couple of days apart in recent Camino....just said no and they ran off to their next target..Saw this in Paris too....they were pretending to be mute....
almost tempted to pinch them.....:oops:

Saw the same group of women a couple of days apart in recent Camino....just said no and they ran off to their next target..Saw this in Paris too....they were pretending to be mute....
almost tempted to pinch them.....:oops:

Hah Hah... Brilliant. I may give this a go if I encounter them later.

I fell for this scam at the Paris airport...

And that clipboard did look over official!
Feel free to send some euros my way. PM me for information for sending via Western Union, and reference attached photo of my "official clip-board and pen". Nice huh? ;)
pen-and-clipboard.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, this has been going on for a few years.
I usually come across them on the way between Portos and Palas de Rei.
Groups of women claiming to be deaf, holding clipboards.
Annie how do you handle the situation when you come across it? Thanks.

I saw them on both Caminos. Just ignore them or say "no" and just keep walking.
They're just scammers, hustlers, gypsies....whatever you want to call them. Harmless enough and easily ignored. Just don't stop and make contact with them.

These young ladies have been working the Camino routes for long enough, judging by past posts, to suggest they make a reasonable living for their efforts. Otherwise they would be trying something else somewhere else. Feel free to refuse or donate at your liberty. It's just a job to them, like knocking out double de-caff frapacinos in the mall, though with the benefits of fresh air and sun-shine. The deaf /mute thing just saves the effort that some of the other Camino scammers put in to guessing the pilgrim's language.
By the way does anyone know if the American woman in the Plaza de Obradoiro has managed to collect enough money for her bus fare to Madrid yet?. She has been collecting every time I have been there.

If you do fancy engaging with the girls try: "salut, Se este numele tau de familie? Care este plasator ta?" "Hello, what family are you from, who is your gangmaster?" or even "ai batut de multe ori?" " are you beaten often?"

Give / don't give, it's no more of a scam than most of the other ways that someone makes a profit at your expense. You paid how much for those shoes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie how do you handle the situation when you come across it? Thanks.

When they start toward me, I yell "NO!" as others have suggested.
Because while you're being distracted with the clipboard by one, another one or two are often pickpocketing you.
So I don't let them even get close to me.

BTW, regarding whether or not they are "deaf," I once had to yell "NO!" several times to get two women to back away.
As I walked away, one said, 'F*CK you, Lady!" as clear as day!

I just laughed.
Nothing wrong with these women - they are obviously making money or they'd move on.

Since years they have been the same women performing this scam. When they see me they are quickly picked up by a car and change their location 10 or 15 kms. I've met the same people in Santiago. They shift before the police arrive. A similar racket is by the women at the entrance of the Santiago cathedral. They are the same and there since years, with the same written story of being unemployed and with many children. It must be a profitable business:confused:
When they start toward me, I yell "NO!" as others have suggested.
Because while you're being distracted with the clipboard by one, another one or two are often pickpocketing you.
So I don't let them even get close to me.

BTW, regarding whether or not they are "deaf," I once had to yell "NO!" several times to get two women to back away.
As I walked away, one said, 'F*CK you, Lady!" as clear as day!

I just laughed.
Nothing wrong with these women - they are obviously making money or they'd move on.
I've seen so much of it in India each year, probably worse. Usually maimed children have been sent out by the 'Syndicate'. It's a heartbreak. I never give money. Most of the time, I do keep walking, but sometimes I give food…..certainly not what the syndicate wants them to bring back. I'll keep an eye out on the trail. Thanks.

I've seen so much of it in India each year, probably worse. Usually maimed children have been sent out by the 'Syndicate'. It's a heartbreak. I never give money. Most of the time, I do keep walking, but sometimes I give food…..certainly not what the syndicate wants them to bring back. I'll keep an eye out on the trail. Thanks.
Walk around Bangkok, Thailand. It's everywhere. Children and women literally sitting on the street all day and night with cups asking for change. I've always understood they are being used by the criminal element to hustle that cash. Still, it breaks your heart to see it, and feel helpless to fix it. I figure there's a special bad karma that awaits those that use and profit from those kids and women.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

These are very hefty, very well-fed women.
I'm pretty sure they don't need food.

Walk around Bangkok, Thailand. It's everywhere. Children and women literally sitting on the street all day and night with cups asking for change. I've always understood they are being used by the criminal element to hustle that cash. Still, it breaks your heart to see it, and feel helpless to fix it. I figure there's a special bad karma that awaits those that use and profit from those kids and women.
I couldn't agree more about the bad karma….it will come back.

I met these two somewhere near Palas.... Offered them a couple of euros 'cause I'm a priest and I was wearing my collar and I somehow thought it would look bad if I didn't. But I knew they were bogus. And they knew that I knew.

I half expected them to decline the offer. They didn't. So I gave them a blessing, too, gratis.

Maybe they were moved by that encounter to rethink what they were doing, moved a change of heart and to a new and better life.... But I doubt it.

I never encountered this, but I did run across a guy that said he needed a few Euros to help him get back home, (he was walking opposite the flow of foot traffic with a smallish backpack).

At a stop later I talked to many others ahead of me and behind me that also gave him 5 Euros or so and we gathered he'd probably cleared about 30 Euros in five minutes' time.

One can imagine how much he made out with that entire day if he kept on, and any other day he was out asking, for that matter.

That said, I didn't feel bad giving money to him and would probably do it again, because who knows for sure if he was really in a bind or not? Since I had Euros to spare, I felt better taking the chance he sincerely needed it. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also encountered these "Deaf people" attempting to collect money for a project. As a professional sign language interpreter of 27 years, and an interpreter trainer, I was hoping to run into them to see if they were indeed Deaf. I promise you these people are NOT Deaf!

While sign language is different in every country regardless of spoken language (i.e., even England, the U.S., Australia, etc all use different signed languages!) the Deaf cultural norms remain the same. Anyone who can sign and might be Deaf is warmly greeted. The conversation is long and differences in signs are managed. No one would nervously walk away.

I've traveled to many countries in the world. In every country, I have run into local Deaf people. My husband says I must sent out some kind of radar! In each case we have overcome language differences, laughed, hugged and learned new signs. Once, even conversing from across the metro station in Madrid!

But when I met these "Deaf" women and began signing simple greetings and questions, they only knew how to sign the word "deaf". Then they lowered their gaze (very inappropriate in Deaf culture) and rushed past me.

Please pass this along.... They are absolutely not Deaf!

Thanks!

Dear pilgrims,

I also encountered these "Deaf people" attempting to collect money for a project. As a professional sign language interpreter of 27 years, and an interpreter trainer, I was hoping to run into them to see if they were indeed Deaf. I promise you these people are NOT Deaf!

While sign language is different in every country regardless of spoken language (i.e., even England, the U.S., Australia, etc all use different signed languages!) the Deaf cultural norms remain the same. Anyone who can sign and might be Deaf is warmly greeted. The conversation is long and differences in signs are managed. No one would nervously walk away.

I've traveled to many countries in the world. In every country, I have run into local Deaf people. My husband says I must sent out some kind of radar! In each case we have overcome language differences, laughed, hugged and learned new signs. Once, even conversing from across the metro station in Madrid!

But when I met these "Deaf" women and began signing simple greetings and questions, they only knew how to sign the word "deaf". Then they lowered their gaze (very inappropriate in Deaf culture) and rushed past

Please pass this along.... They are absolutely not Deaf!

Thanks!

WHAAAAT ????

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will confess that my companion and I fell prey to these women. I knew their claim of deafness was bogus, but they had come upon us suddenly in a wooded area where there was no one else around and we felt a bit intimidated. They showed us their clip board, ostensibly with generous donations from other pilgrims, but we weren't swayed by that and made just a small donation.

The women at and near the cathedral work for a kind of pimp, a guy who takes what they collect. It's a rough business.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
More often, my experience has been with people like this at Cathedrals:

A quick search of YouTube for "fake beggars" will who you just how far they go.

Hmmm.. I am wary of Romany, having been pick-pocketed in the past. But I did give money regularly to a mother with a baby outside of the church I attended in Trastevere, Rome. I had a baby too at the time, and sometimes show would ask for disposable diapers instead of money. She was beautiful sitting in the sunlight on the steps of the fountain, nursing her baby.

€149,-
The fear of being gullible can close hearts. -- Once a young man came into my train compartment (Germany) asking for money for a ticket for his dog. He explained that he had had his wallet stolen, and he had only enough money to get one ticket. He explained that his family would pick him up at a station about 45 minutes away. I didn't want to be taken for a fool, so I refused to give him money. Then as the train pulled away I saw him standing on the platform with his german shepherd. I still feel badly, and I decided then that really, even I play the fool, I can decide to trust another human and help. After all, he only wanted about 5 euros.

I ran into these two ladies three times in 2013. The first time was on the ascent to O'Cebreiro. Then I ran into them again a couple days later and again the next day on the entry to Sarria. The third day there were two men following them about 10 minutes behind them, but maybe they were just out for a walk. A couple days after I saw them, there was an article in the local paper about them, and a picture of the one in the back of a police car, but they were released the same day. I'd just say "no", forcefully, and also say, "Hi, it's you again" as I kept walking. I could hear them talking to each other. (I think there was a thread about these ladies a year or more ago.)

I read the clipboard info the first day. They claimed to be raising money for a new deaf Academy and have a number of NGO logos on the sheet, one of which was Caritas. I've no doubt that Caritas would NOT be soliticing funds on a hiking trail like that.

I think I gave a couple of euros to an lady in the square in front of Leon's cathedral. She claimed to need to catch a bus in a hurry to get home. I figured it was likely a scam but I was feeling euphoric and teary about being there and figured I could afford it.

Don't feel bad about it. You can purchase tickets on the train from the conductor. If he did not mention this option, it is highly likely that he did not need a ticket for his dog and had no plans to travel anywhere, he wanted money.
PS: I am tempted to ask whether this happened in Frankfurt or Cologne train stations ... the most likely places in my experience :(.
It was on the way back from prague to Heidelberg-- so not Koeln or Frankfurt. I know he could buy tickets from the conductor, but he said he didn't have enough, and needed just 10 or 15 marks more. hmm... I messed up my conversion from marks to euro's in my first post... It's been a while!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, this has been going on for a few years.
I usually come across them on the way between Portos and Palas de Rei.
Groups of women claiming to be deaf, holding clipboards.

Yes it has been going for a few years about this area. The one I encountered (2012) was gesturing to suggest she was deaf - I spoke in a very low voice and amusingly she responded. No need to be aggressive or anything - no (with a smile) will do as well.

I live in Bangkok part of the year. Some are used by criminal elements..........not all. Not easy to tell the genuine ones apart sadly.

The genuine ones we see all the time, we give to. You have to remember that in many countries like Thailand there is no safety net. No work....no money...no food....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of Sydney's well known beggars was my (pro-bono) client for a while. He sleeps rough every night, usually under a shop awning. Sadly he would not take up the accommodation we found him because it was too far from his "workplace". It was only a kilometre away. All the money he collected (and it was more than the pay of many full-time jobs) he gave to a woman who was scamming him. As well as his disability pension. Even the police were unable to convince him she was a con artist and to stop. He is still at it. He gets angry with the street workers who feed him and provide blankets but don't give him money.
Not sure what the point of this is but it has taught me that there are many shades of grey. Regardless of his rationale he still suffers in the cold.

One of Sydney's well known beggars was my (pro-bono) client for a while. He sleeps rough every night, usually under a shop awning. Sadly he would not take up the accommodation we found him because it was too far from his "workplace". It was only a kilometre away. All the money he collected (and it was more than the pay of many full-time jobs) he gave to a woman who was scamming him. As well as his disability pension. Even the police were unable to convince him she was a con artist and to stop. He is still at it. He gets angry with the street workers who feed him and provide blankets but don't give him money.
Not sure what the point of this is but it has taught me that there are many shades of grey. Regardless of his rationale he still suffers in the cold.
Well, he's quite obviously not of sound mind and body.
Who is more of a con artist, him or the femme fatale that he gives his money to?

The fear of being gullible can close hearts. -- Once a young man came into my train compartment (Germany) asking for money for a ticket for his dog. He explained that he had had his wallet stolen, and he had only enough money to get one ticket. He explained that his family would pick him up at a station about 45 minutes away. I didn't want to be taken for a fool, so I refused to give him money. Then as the train pulled away I saw him standing on the platform with his german shepherd. I still feel badly, and I decided then that really, even I play the fool, I can decide to trust another human and help. After all, he only wanted about 5 euros.
I could use five bucks for lunch. PM me for my home address and put in an envelope. ;)

I like the sound of this scam,oh i mean ahem 'business',on my next Camino i will be wearing a dress n carrying a clipboard,please give generously,thank you ;)
Yeah, it does sound lucrative. The clipboard is easy enough, but my 6'1" 220 lb butt in a dress would probably scare off too many suckers, er, I mean customers, er, change that. I meant kind, generous, loving and understanding people. ;)

@Mark Lee oh, no doubt about that, it's the woman. But I still am not giving him any money!

How about children being purchased from their poverty stricken families to live, effectively slaves, in Cambodian "orphanages"? According to various sources 75% of children in Cambodian orphanages have at least one parent, if not two, alive. It's a money making business for the operators to skim charity money from foreigners. They even use volunteer labour to run these places. It's really trading in children. It is only happening because of well intentioned westerners. I was confronted when I saw a documentary about the issue, because we had visited an orphanage in Vietnam and made a donation.

Here's a couple of stories
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/08...ns-to-stop-visiting-cambodian-orphanages.html
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2012/05/201252243030438171.html

When in cities I know, I carry a card to hand out with the times of free meals and where they can be found through out the city. If some one tells me they are hungry I hand them a card.

That would be tricky to do on the camino...

Last edited:
When in cities I know, I carry a card to hand out with the times of free meals and where they can be found through out the city. If some one tells me they are hungry I hand them a card.

That would be tricky to do on the camino...
That's a good idea; I should try this in my city. My daughter, through her work, sees a homeless fellow from time to time. He is adamant that there is no need to beg for food. He knows where he can find three free meals a day, every day.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back