• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Warning, fires on the path Tricastela to Samos

markmcilroy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016
CF 2017
Le Puy 2018
CF 2022
VDLP 9/ 2023
I have just arrived in Samos after walking from Tricastela. I strongly suggest not to take this route until the fires have stopped. At one stage I had actual flames on both sides of the track well within arms reach. There are no fire fighters about as it seems they are fighting other fires. I took a video and will try to upload it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sad to say this fire was started by a careless pilgrim who flicked their cigarette!! Leaves ignited, other pilgrims tried to stamp out to no avail. I have a video from someone who was passing by when this first started.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You DO realize that the careless, cigarette tossing pilgrim is in a world of hurt if the authorities catch him/her? Tensions and emotions are running very high, from where you are across Galicia. Hundreds of folks lost their homes, people are dying. This is dead serious...no joking here.

There are dozens of fires, and not enough resources to fight all of them. Northern Portugal and southern Galicia are aflame. Even being caught wth cigarettes and a lighter or matches might be cause for stern questioning by the Guardia Civil or local law enforcement.

The authorities have determined that the fires were caused by arson. This is being reported in the media this morning.

I would imagine that some pilgrims will be stopped, questioned, and possibly even search for fire-making materials. I have separately advised pilgrims carrying stoves, or fire making materials to mail them ahead to Ivar at Santiago.

Please avoid the embarrassment and consequences or being wrongly implicated or wrongly accused. Get rid of your stoves and fire making materials NOW.

If you are walking west of Leon, be mindful of what may be around the next bend. Watch the wind direction. You are relatively safe if UPWIND of the smell and smoke. If DOWNWIND of the smoke and smell, expedite your arrival at the next town or village.

If in doubt as to whether to proceed, take a rest day. Pray for rain.

Also, while going cold turkey from smoking is not a fun idea. Consider the relative worth of NOT having tobacco products or a lighter or matches on your person if stopped and questioned. Just sayin... At least think about it until you get to Santiago. Who knows, you might even manage to kick the habit...

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You DO realize that the careless, cigarette tossing pilgrim is in a world of hurt if the authorities catch him/her? Tensions and emotions are running very high, from where you are across Galicia. Hundreds of folks lost their homes, people are dying. This is dead serious...no joking here.

There are dozens of fires, and not enough resources to fight all of them. Northern Portugal and southern Galicia are aflame. Even being caught wth cigarettes and a lighter or matches might be cause for stern questioning by the Guardia Civil or local law enforcement.

The authorities have determined that the fires were caused by arson. This is being reported in the media this morning.

I would imagine that some pilgrims will be stopped, questioned, and possibly even search for fire-making materials. I have separately advised pilgrims carrying stoves, or fire making materials to mail them ahead to Ivar at Santiago.

Please avoid the embarrassment and consequences or being wrongly implicated or wrongly accused. Get rid of your stoves and fire making materials NOW.

If you are walking west of Leon, be mindful of what may be around the next bend. Watch the wind direction. You are relatively safe if UPWIND of the smell and smoke. If DOWNWIND of the smoke and smell, expedite your arrival at the next town or village.

Also, while going cold turkey from smoking is not a fun idea. Consider the relative worth of NOT having tobacco products or a lighter or matches on your person if stopped and questioned. Just sayin... At least think about it until you get to Santiago. Who knows, you might even manage to kick the habit...

I hope this helps.

You DO realize I'm not the careless idiot who tossed the cigarette. I've just got a video (from my friend) of when it first started. I haven't met someone yet who wouldn't welcome any questioning and would gladly assist anyone in catching this person. I've been disgusted at the number of people smoking along the Camino.

I hope this helps.
Good advice, Tom. I hope everyone in that area heeds this.

You DO realize I'm not the careless idiot who tossed the cigarette. I've just got a video (from my friend) of when it first started. I haven't met someone yet who wouldn't welcome any questioning and would gladly assist anyone in catching this person. I've been disgusted at the number of people smoking along the Camino.
I don't think that t2andreo suggested that it was you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for posting, your video really brings home how close these fires are to pilgrims.Scary. I'm guessing that any increase or change in the wind could have produced a serious situation for you.

Stay safe everyone and maybe talk with any pilgrims you come across who aren't aware. I've seen some posts where pilgrim's are waiting on 'official announcements' about Camino closures but the authorities may just have their hands full dealing with so many fires.

I did not mean to imply that, and having reread my post, I do not think I did. But to be clear...

"IT IS CLEAR TO ME FROM THE EVIDENCE ABOVE THAT THE POSTER CAME UPON A STILL SMOLDERING CIGARETTE:eek: WHICH THEY PROMPTLY EXTINGUISHED.":)

Okay, that's sorted...:)

I agree with you about the number of folks smoking along the Camino. I usually walk in the spring when it is wetter. But, I am continually amazed by just HOW some folks have the lung capacity to walk up those hills, repeatedly, when I am hacking up my lungs. I remain puzzled...

I hope this helps.

View beyond albergue (white building) I stayed in at Linares:

IMG_3177.jpg

View from Portomarin while having dinner last night. We had ashes falling in our pizza.

IMG_2841.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just arrived in Samos after walking from Tricastela. I strongly suggest not to take this route until the fires have stopped. At one stage I had actual flames on both sides of the track well within arms reach. There are no fire fighters about as it seems they are fighting other fires. I took a video and will try to upload it.

I walked into Triacastela last night as the fire was burning on the other side of the valley - it calmed down overnight, but there was a lot of smoke in town. Walked to Sarria today - no sign of fires, but there was smoke around, the sun did not break through all day and the light was more like twilight all day.

Mixed messages about safety - we were told last night that travelling to Samos was strongly discouraged, while this morning we heard secondhand that walking to Sarria was also problematic. Was suggested we wait an hour (presumably until first light when an assessment could be made). No further information was available (not being able to speak Spanish was a contributing factor to the confusion). Ultimately a group of around 20 set off and we made it to Sarria without incident.

In the light of news on other fires inGalcia and northern Portugal, I hold nothing against the authorities for lack of advice - they clearly have much bigger issue to deal with!

Lesson for all pilgrims - be responsible for your own safety, and don't do anything foolish (and leave the ciggies home please! You wouldn't want te be suspected of being the arsonist...)

The regrettable thing about forest and brush fires is they create their own energy and wind forces as the oxygen is consumed the wind forces increase. It is very difficult to out run one of these. Be aware that the fire may not kill you but the lack of oxygen will. There is a compelling movie being released this week Only The Brave about the Granite Mountain fire.

I live in the town next to Santa Rosa, California. Over 1500 homes were lost there in one night from a fire last week. Some of the fires are still burning. As Biarritzdon said, strong winds make it difficult if not impossible to outrun. Some of my friends barely made it to safety using their automobiles. They lost their homes in the process.

Please be careful if there is a fire. Error on the side of caution. Walking the Camino can make one feel invincible but unfortunately having Pilgrim Credentials will not guarantee your safety when there is a fire.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There were 100 fires in Galicia on Sunday night, more than 500 in northern Portugal, many people lost their lives, many more lost their homes, some of those who died were in cars trying to out run a fire. This is a major issue at the moment, fortunately we've had rain now but probably not enough.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Makes me sad I hope that those walking are safe and that God will protect them and send rain lots of rain

Sad to say this fire was started by a careless pilgrim who flicked their cigarette!! Leaves ignited, other pilgrims tried to stamp out to no avail. I have a video from someone who was passing by when this first started.

That video should be forwarded to the police. It is evidence of a crime.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I totally agree with you about the smoking. Both Spaniards and Pilgrims!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back