• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: Improper behavior reported between Astorga and Rabanal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Maggie, I will arrive in SJPP from Australia on Sept 26 and will start walk on Sept 28. My daughter has been worried about the attack and the missing pilgrim so I would love to meet up with another pilgrim to walk together.
Hi Jasmine, my walk will probably start around Sept 25th. If we meet up that would be great but if we don't, I have a daughter and a son. I told them my mind now is not giving any energy to the fear factor to these most unfortunate incidents. Both of them are doing the same. Keep reading the forum, because there are some very wise and always very encouraging things being written, especially for us first-timers. It has been a wonderful resource for me personally.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"Private Message" function of the forum is often the best place to continue personal conversations and exchange contact information.

(Look for the little envelope in the upper right hand corner...or click on members name/avatar to reach profile page.)

I agree this would be nice. I'm not so interested in people's private conversations and/or plans.

I'd been debating whether to bring my pepper spray, buy some in Spain, or just hope that I'll be safe. Is pepper spray legal to carry in Spain?
I just did 4 weeks on the trail-no pepper spray required. You will meet up with some of the most fascinating people you will ever meet. Use your common sense and merge into a normal group of people and simply say hello. Most of the time you get open arms instead of middle fingers-thank goodness most people in this world still have descent values. Happy trails and enjoy every moment-it zips by quickly and you find yourself longing t go back-The trail calls out to those who listen.

I just walked this section today. Actually past Rabanal.

It was all fine. Probably 200-300 people on the road through the day.

Couple of police cars cruised by. And some local Police on foot saying hi to the pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've never thought of pepper spray as a weapon. It's a measure of self defense if I were to ever be attacked. Luckily, it's one I've never had to use. The thought of what might happen to me or to any other woman who is attacked and taken by someone while minding her own business is far more offensive to me than carrying pepper spray.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I received this email from Joe today.
He and his group of 5 women walked from Rabanal del Camino to Molinaseca today.
If you look at my blog, you will see that even the forest rangers are out.

There were many appearances of Guardia civil & the forest ranger ( 4 all total that I saw) all the way from rabanal to the summit of Monte irago.
So the government is making a good effort to protect the Camino.

Thank you for that Reb. While I may joke about marking exhibitionists with paintball guns, IMO the thought of carrying anthything more than a whistle and common sense on the Camino makes me more than cringe...besides being completely unnecessary.

[And I know, I know...it is an opinion that not everyone shares, so I'll likely get shot at...but my impression is that those people who have most experience on the Camino (and not only good ones, I might add) are those who are the most adamant about how pepper spray is total overkill and unnecessary...and that was my own experience on 2 caminos. Company, common sense, and a good BS detector are far better and more appropriate defenses!
[And edit...no, sorry falcon, I am a woman and do not think it would be useful...but not getting into that situation in the first place (by walking together with others if necessary) would be.]

This has been said many times in many ways over the last month, but it bears repeating: Please everyone, let's not get too wrapped up in our natural fears and reactions about what does sometimes happen on the Camino. What we frequently think and write about becomes the default setting of the heart. We can cultivate mind states of habitual suspicion and fear, or commonsense alertness.
You choose.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe there's a niche for "fog sellers" (as I call them) to start teaching selfdefense with walking poles. Uaaaaah - huuuuaha - hiiiiahaaaaaa - uhhhaqh - masturbator running........???

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Treating women like objects has been common on the Camino. The possibility of murder is entirely new. Treat them as equal at your own peril. :)
Of course, falcon, I entirely agree. And I do not know of course but would be surprised if Reb didn't too.

What I said was in no way to blithely and stupidly ignore potential danger, but just not wanting our posts to feed unnecessary fear.

My own strategy as a solo woman on the road is another kind of prevention: support of good people around me and general care and vigilance. For hundreds of years pilgrims banded together to provide mutual protection...no-one had pepper spray then, and we do not need it now!

Of course, falcon, I entirely agree. And I do not know of course but would be surprised if Reb didn't too.

What I said was in no way to blithely and stupidly ignore potential danger, but just not wanting our posts to feed unnecessary fear.

My own strategy as a solo woman on the road is another kind of prevention: support of good people around me and general care and vigilance. For hundreds of years pilgrims banded together to provide mutual protection...no-one had pepper spray then, and we do not need it now!
Viranani, were you solo on Camino this year??? That's something I would not say (or understand) after seeing the photos from Tertulia?

K1

I'm just grateful that it is now possible for solas peregrinas of all ages to walk the Camino safely subject to taking sensible precautions. I imagine this would have been completely unheard of in the days of the original pilgrims. I wonder whether it would have even been considered appropriate for a female at all, other than nuns I suppose.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Viranani, were you solo on Camino this year?
Yes, I can see how you might be confused. I did walk by myself this year, until a friend joined me after Fromista. After that we sometimes walked solo and met up in the evening--or were 'together' but often out of sight of each other.(The Tertulia meeting was my friend and I meeting Durhamparish and his friend...we 4 only met there.)
And to clarify, I was speaking in general terms of what I do when I do walk alone, which is more often than not...
[Edited for clarity]

Last edited:
Hi Maggie, i will be walking Sept Oct too on my own. Starting form Pamplona on Sept 2nd. Hope to meet you somehwere on the camino.
Hi Maggie. I will be walking alone on the Camino Sept/Oct. Hope that we meet up somewhere along the way Buen Camino!.

Hi Maggie. I will be walking alone on the Camino Sept/Oct. Hope that we meet up somewhere along the way Buen Camino!.

Would it be too much to ask people to please send their private messages in PM form?
That way the rest of us don't have to read them and we can use this thread to keep up on news of Denise Thiem or improper behavior on the Camino.
:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never thought of pepper spray as a weapon. It's a measure of self defense if I were to ever be attacked. Luckily, it's one I've never had to use. The thought of what might happen to me or to any other woman who is attacked and taken by someone while minding her own business is far more offensive to me than carrying pepper spray.

Sorry to me it is a weapon. And if someone would happen to have it with them in an albergue / dorm where I will be sleeping I will show and tell of my discomfort with this situation. And if this person stands by his / hers decision I will leave the place. I will and shall not dictate my life/ pilgrimage by fear.
Sorry, if this post is a bit harsh but I'm actually a bit fed off with all this crime psychosis.
The chance I would have had a car accident on my way home today from work is way way higher than me being involved in a crime related incident on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back