• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning on the start of the Camino Portuguese.

Isy Mc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese
Hi there, I am a solo female traveler and started my Camino Portuguese today from Porto. I was followed by a man in a white van for the beginning of my walk on the coastal route. He looked local, wearing a purple top and light pants. He followed me on the board walk and was making kissing noises. He eventually drove away... Never had a problem like this before on the Camino. It reminded me to turn on the emergency function on my phone. Press the on off button five times to to call the local emergency service and sound an alarm on iPhones. . Keep an eye out and be safe out there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for sharing. I’m starting in Porto on May 13th. Definitely something to keep an eye out for.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Hi there, I am a solo female traveler and started my Camino Portuguese today from Porto. I was followed by a man in a white van for the beginning of my walk on the coastal route. He looked local, wearing a purple top and light pants. He followed me on the board walk and was making kissing noises. He eventually drove away... Never had a problem like this before on the Camino. It reminded me to turn on the emergency function on my phone. Press the on off button five times to to call the local emergency service and sound an alarm on iPhones. . Keep an eye out and be safe out there!

So sorry to hear that you had to go through this @Isy Mc , words (polite ones at least) fail me to describe people like this.

Jut a quick note, not all iPhones have the same functionality in this regard here's a quick guide

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For whatever reason the Camino Portuguese seems to have the most stalkers, and threatening people. On an otherwise great route with amazing people this seems to be a continuing problem for women. I hope the local authorities start to realize this could be an economic problem if women stay away. It seems they are not yet motivated to help because it is a danger to female pilgrims. Maybe their pocketbooks will change it!

Hi Isy Mc:
Sorry to hear about your experience. Read other posts about similar cases, PLEASE! Don’t walk alone; at least be within eyesight of other pilgrims for your safety. Be extra aware from now on.
Buen Camino stay

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And another issue- my friend and I ( 71+) decided to take metro out.of Porto to have a shorter day. Man, asked to help buy metro tickets, also helped himself to my purse. I lost more money than is good for a happy budget.
Beware- pickpockets are slick.
But most people are fine.

Yes, most people are fine. Especially in Portugal, and I won't bother with the "but occasionally.....". Just want to give a pleasant example. I had taken the train from Lisbon to Vila Franca de Xira, where there are 2 train stops, and managed to get off at the commercial stop instead of the passenger stop. As I was walking away from the train, trying to find the way through to the city, a man asked if he could show me the shortest/safest way. I was very happy to say yes. He was kindly courteous, not in the least threatening, did just what I needed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for your kind words!! I moved to the busier central route (this was always the plan) and am delighted with the kindness of the Portuguese and other pilgrims. There is a lot of comdraderie and I feel much safer. Bon Camino and keep safe!

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.
Taking a picture of the person , car, license plate might send a message that you are not an easy victim

For whatever reason the Camino Portuguese seems to have the most stalkers, and threatening people. On an otherwise great route with amazing people this seems to be a continuing problem for women. I hope the local authorities start to realize this could be an economic problem if women stay away. It seems they are not yet motivated to help because it is a danger to female pilgrims. Maybe their pocketbooks will change it!
Gosh this is disappointing for me to hear as an older female solo walker. These incidents generally do not trouble me, however, between stalkers & dangerous traffic I’m taking a little more notice. I’ve walked the CF twice so thought I might try CP this year. These stories are leaving me a tad (just a little bit) deflated. Thanks for the posts it all helps.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gosh this is disappointing for me to hear as an older female solo walker. These incidents generally do not trouble me, however, between stalkers & dangerous traffic I’m taking a little more notice. I’ve walked the CF twice so thought I might try CP this year. These stories are leaving me a tad (just a little bit) deflated. Thanks for the posts it all helps.
There seems to be only a few sections that seems to have had problems. If you look back on other posts you may find them. If you feel uncomfortable you can always ask to walk with people or if you feel a stretch that may not feel right wait for some people to come.

I have to say I'm wary about suggesting the Camino Portuguese to solo female Pilgrims. There seems to a steady number of concerning reports. I should add, I have not walked it.......... It's starting to drop down my 'to do' list........

I have to say I'm wary about suggesting the Camino Portuguese to solo female Pilgrims. There seems to a steady number of concerning reports. I should add, I have not walked it.......... It's starting to drop down my 'to do' list........
I would have to agree with you regarding female walkers. Over all biggest "general" drawback is the amount of road walking. I walked the central route from Lisbon. The early part of the camino from Lisbon is not too memorable but it sure gets prettier as you go. I actually like the food in Portugal better, but that is just me. But I will say, as I have in other posts, the Portuguese people are without a doubt the nicest, warmest, friendliest and most generous people I have ever met, in all my travels. Not just on the Caminos. It is not a knock on the Spanish people or any other country. I guess overall somebody is usually on the top of the list. It must be the language as I have been in Brasil 6 or 7 times and the Brazilians are amazing too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back