• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WARNING PILGRIMS - Watch for this flimflam man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
WARNING: Antonio, a creep with a sad tale of walking from Jerusalem for a friend with cancer, is back and up to his old frauds, this time on Camino del Norte. Pilgrims and hospis beware, he is a thief and confidence man, a real sweet talker.

Please repost if you have friends who are going to walk the Camino

This was posted by albergue owners on the Frances.

[picture deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apparently, he tells people his sad story to gain their trust, then while people are showering or otherwise leaving their goods with him, he steals what he can, then goes by taxi or friend's car to another stage.

Now that is very, very sad !!! One would think at some point the police could become involved ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Annie, I will keep the picture handy

He's got the pilgrim look down pat, unlike a lot of the other scam artists I've come across -- though the baseball cap is a little unusual. Slim build, short grey beard and wire rimmed glasses, wow, he looks like a million other peregrinos I've met over the years.

He's got the pilgrim look down pat, unlike a lot of the other scam artists I've come across -- though the baseball cap is a little unusual. Slim build, short grey beard and wire rimmed glasses, wow, he looks like a million other peregrinos I've met over the years.

Yeah. lol! He looks like someone's grandpa!
Little poop!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The gentleman is accused, but no evidence other than hear-say is yet presented. We should be careful, always, of the differences between suspicion, belief and fact. As we should be careful, always, of our possesions, valuables and our selves.

Hopefully the Hospitaleros on the Norte, and current pilgrims, have been alerted to this suspected criminal and if he is caught perpetrating a crime he can be dealt with by the authorities.

I will add, for clarity, that despite the slim build, beard and wire-rimmed glasses I have not walked from Jerusalem, I do not have a sad story and I am not in the slightest interested in your possessions. I have a sufficient burden of my own. :( ;)

The gentleman is accused, but no evidence other than hear-say is yet presented. We should be careful, always, of the differences between suspicion, belief and fact. As we should be careful, always, of our possesions, valuables and our selves.

Hopefully the Hospitaleros on the Norte, and current pilgrims, have been alerted to this suspected criminal and if he is caught perpetrating a crime he can be dealt with by the authorities.

I will add, for clarity, that despite the slim build, beard and wire-rimmed glasses I have not walked from Jerusalem, I do not have a sad story and I am not in the slightest interested in your possessions. I have a sufficient burden of my own. :( ;)

Really, Tinker?
Where did you get that info?
The hospitalero's post to me sounded like he had robbed their place personally, and that he had possibly dropped down to the Camino Frances. I wonder why they'd say that?

In any case, I agree we must always be careful.

I feel uncomfortable with this too. Can't find anything official to condemn this man. If you look closely those are not wire frames but plastic frame glasses. The man could file suit for defamation. Honestly, maybe the photo (who took it?) should be removed. Pilgrims are aware now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Annie,

I am only advising caution, in all things. The Albergue owners you refer to have not posted on this forum, if you have a direct and clear statement from them perhaps you would share it. If they have evidence of a crime they will, I hope, have reported it to the police.

I have no idea, no evidence and no opinion whether the picture you have posted is of a criminal, a suspected criminal or a sad old man who has now been libelled on this forum. This forum is a wonderful place for us all to share the joys, and the hazards, of the Camino. I would hate to see it threatened by litigation over a post, that is why I make these comments.

There is no libel protection for the internet. Describing someone as a thief and confidence man without a factual basis can lead to problems for Ivar and the poster. If the hospitalero has evidence of a conviction, it would be nice to see it. His personal knowledge is well short of fact.

There is no libel protection for the internet. Describing someone as a thief and confidence man without a factual basis can lead to problems for Ivar and the poster. If the hospitalero has evidence of a conviction, it would be nice to see it. His personal knowledge is well short of fact.

I don't feel this particular albergue owner would post this if it were not true.
However, I've sent a message asking. I'll post something when they reply.
In the meantime, if the mods want to remove the post, feel free

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the interest of legal security for the forum..the picture has been deleted. There are several references to other sites where it can be viewed above.

We believe that the needed warning has been posted here and that potential victims have been put on notice to take care with whom they put too much trust.

The thread will be closed for now to avoid further disagreements. If more specific information is available later, this thread can be reopened.

Thanks for understanding.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back