• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: Reports of Scam in Galicia

There have been a couple of reports recently of a scam involving women posing as deaf and MUTE 'donation' collectors. They approach pilgrims on the trail carrying a clipboard with a paper explaining that they are collecting donations to help the deaf and MUTE, which they present themselves to be. The paper lists the names and amounts in euros that others have donated - usually around 25-30 euros.

I have personally passed these women upon arrival into O'Cebreiro and about .5 km after Sarria, away from the town where there are only pilgrims passing. I have heard reports of them being at the top of the stairs in Sarria and at the entrance to Portomarin.

In Portamarin, two of these women were observed talking animatedly to each other when there were no pilgrims around...in other words, they are not deaf and MUTE as they present themselves to be. In addition, there is at least one report of a pilgrim being mugged by one of the women in Portomarin.

It is possible that some of these women are legitimate, but use your judgement when handing over euros to people who are approaching only pilgrims and at odd places on the trail.

Funny to see this post was from 2013, as we saw these 2 just outside Portomarin about 25 Sept 2015.
The owner of Casa Banderas (House of Flags) later told us the history on these 2 when we got into town Gordon, I think.
I smelled something fishy when they came right up too close to me on both sides, so I left quickly. Turns out they will also see where your money is if you offer a donation ... and then go for more if you can be distracted. My wife and friend were behind me and our misguided friend gave some coins, but my wife kept a close eye as see could tell they were no good.
Rule is: When traveling, always review any situation that seems strange. Don't immediately jump to help. You can step back for a review and make certain that your not falling for some scam. Even what appears to be an emergency can wait 5-10 seconds.
Sad for 'our' Camino, but can happen anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, we also came across them in September 2015. They are almost a Camino legend in their own right.

Myself,my wife and my son came across them last week 2nd April 2016 outside Sarria.Prior to meeting them a young man in a reflective yellow jacket was walking uncomfortably close to us.The yellow jacket gave the impression of authority but there was something suspicious about him .Sometimes he would walk close behind us sometimes alongside and sometimes just in front.I noticed that he was speaking into his collar possibly into mobile phone microphone.Shortly after two women appeared asking for donations for deaf mutes supposedly writing the donations on a clipboard. Possibly this man had phoned ahead to alert them of oncoming pilgrims.
My wife ignored the laughingly large apparent previous donations and actually unwisely gave them 5 Euros between them which caused them to argue amongst themselves.Nothing nasty happened but I must say it was slightly unsettling.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well, its good to know that there is still a reasonable living to be made out of passing pilgrims this early in the season.

MODERATOR POST:

Since there is no evidence of the ethnicity of the scammers in question...

No further ethnic description will be allowed.

The warning is that there are "people" aggressively asking for donations for the "deaf and mute" all along the Camino. They are neither deaf or mute.

They are scammers.. Do not give them money.

Last edited:
On previous Caminos I have been approached by people with clipboards wanting me to add my name and address to their petitions to help the homeless in Spain. I never give out such details as it could confirm that my home may be empty for a while and therefore vulnerable to burglary.

For the same reason I never put my full address on my Credencial.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
it is not only in the Camino, they are all over Spain. They are usually not Spanish, they are not aggressive as such, but they are very insisting. Just beware with your belongings! Do not leave your mobiles on top of tables in bars and terraces, they will go for them too.

EDITED BY MODERATOR

Be aware of the "mustard scam" all over the world. A helpful person spots some "mustard" (bird droppings, mud, etc.) on your clothes or pack, and helps you clean it up (since they put it there). Others may pitch in. After the process is complete, the "mustard" is gone. So are your wallet, money, sunglasses, iPhone, and watch.

Teams work together for a thorough cleansing.

Yesterday some young Phillipino students were scammed by the women in this report. The boys are part of a school group led by a priest. We had walked with them a bit and came down a hill to find a couple of boys being approached by the women. One woman came up to me and thrust a clipboard in my face. I did sign and remembered the notices posted all along the Camino and shook my head and pushed the clipboard away. One boy (aged about 13) reached in his wallet to give one woman a 5 euro bill and she snatched a 20 from his hand.

The boys and we went up the hill and the boys explained what had transpired. The Padre flagged down the Guardia Civil and got in the car with them to find the women while the boys waited at a cafe.

He returned to say that they found the women. The officers told the women to return the money which they stuck immediately in their bras and underwear. The officers indicated they could take the women into custody and back to the station for a search by a female officer, but this would take up to half or all the day. In the end the priest elected to drop the complaint so they could continue their pilgrimage.

The boy who lost his money was very sad. He asked me why someone would do this. I reassured him that most people on the Camino were good and we encouraged him not to show his money in public again to be safe. This group of young Pilgrims and their leader had just started from Sarria that morning and we were just at the first town that begins with a V. I wish I had been thinking more quickly and herded the kids away before this happened. The priest was leading the main group up the hill as this transpired and did not know it was happening until too late.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please don't sign anything on those clipboards!
The main aim is NOT to get your address, but to get near to you, distract your attention and move your arms away from your pockets.

Police forces in Spain, and particularly around Burgos have been alerting about the "loving hug" robbers. Basically, two women approach an old person and ask for the address of a hospital or religious center, or for the signing of a petition for a humanitarian cause. Suddenly, they hug him/her very lovingly. The victim leaves very moved, but after a while discovers that the wallet or other valuables have disappeared. An accomplice in a car is always near, so they can escape quickly. They seem as an organized group, moving particularly around Burgos.
No need to be paranoid...just be alert. The Camino may seem sometimes as a utopian space, but it is also in the "real" world.
http://agencias.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=2243628
http://www.diariopalentino.es/notic.../sustraer/dinero/joyas/metodo/abrazo/cariñoso

I must admit, having lived in Granada where these things are rife (approaching you with a sprig of rosemary is the favourite method there), I've adopted the Spanish gesture for dealing with this which is to immediately break eye contact when you see them approaching, look away and perhaps even turn your body away slightly, and give them the hand, ie. put your hand in a barring motion in their direction. This is what the locals do and it makes it immediately clear that you're not going to engage with them. It works well.
You can still give to beggars if you wish to be charitable (and lets face it, there are lots of beggars in Santiago) but I would recommend putting some loose change in a reasonably accessible trouser or jacket pocket for that purpose so you don't have to root around in your purse or wallet but it wouldn't matter too much if you lost it all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Be aware of the "mustard scam" all over the world. A helpful person spots some "mustard" (bird droppings, mud, etc.) on your clothes or pack, and helps you clean it up (since they put it there). Others may pitch in. After the process is complete, the "mustard" is gone. So are your wallet, money, sunglasses, iPhone, and watch.

Teams work together for a thorough cleansing.

Joe and I nearly fell victim to this scam in Barcelona. We call it the pigeon poop scam. A very well-dressed businessman tried it on us, squirting women's makeup all over our backs, our packs, joe's shorts. I was REALLY pissed off because it was perfumed and made me sick for days. Luckily, I had JUST read about this online, so the minute he came at us with the hankie, I yelled, "NO!" and he ran like heck. Jerk.

The boy who lost his money was very sad. He asked me why someone would do this. I reassured him that most people on the Camino were good and we encouraged him not to show his money in public again to be safe. This group of young Pilgrims and their leader had just started from Sarria that morning and we were just at the first town that begins with a V. I wish I had been thinking more quickly and herded the kids away before this happened. The priest was leading the main group up the hill as this transpired and did not know it was happening until too late.

A good lesson in life.

Yes, I came across these women in May 2017 in Galicia posing as deaf mutes and asking me to sign a form and donate money. I come across them regularly in Paris where this scam is as ubiquitous as corner cafés. I knew exactly what the story was and ignored them completely, walking right by. There were about 6 or 8 of them. It was the day I walked through Sarria so it was afterwards that I encountered them.

Edited by Moderator.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Over the years I have heard and seen it all. From the mute women, to the ones taking a poll, to "hey is this your ring?" , to the nice guy who offers to "share the cost of a meal," and more.

I grew up in Seville and Ferrol. Spend much time now in both. So know both very well.

Few years back crime was getting out of hand in Seville. Over the years there has been a great effort to stop/prevent street crime in Seville. And it has worked.

The best example of this is the Almeda de Hercules district of Seville. Twenty something years ago you would not want to be in that district on the side streets. Day or night! Crime, drugs, whore houses, street muggings, street fighting, stabbings, etc. Now that district is cleaned up.

Among other street crimes, here in Seville there has been rash of two guys posing as police officers.
These guys are well dressed. They ask for "papers" or state "checking for fake money bills". or some sort of other reasons. They ask for wallet.
The dumb tourist hands over their wallet. Bam these guys are gone. And so is the money, credit cards etc.

From what I have learned from police here: they will not keep your credit cards. They will do a quick transaction. If that works then will run a larger charge. Only once. Or, the cards are sold to others who know how to "milk" the card even better. They trash your wallet. Taking only cash bills. They do not want to ever be caught with your ID on them. Or anything that can link them to a crime.

Majority of the time in Spain you will not be approached by a police officer in civilian clothes. Almost always will be uniformed police. And two of them in uniforms. With proper ID.

One American guy was smart enough to yell loudly "POLICIA" "POLICE" "POLICE" when such guys tried this trick. They took off with no goodies.

Be careful. Be safe. Be aware of your soundings. Dont let worrying about crime over ride your enjoyment of Seville or other places in Spain.

I have never heard of problems with taxi drivers in Seville. Riding a taxi here is safe. Even heard of people leaving their wallet, purse, bags etc in the taxi and the driver went out of his way to find them for return.

The two bus stations Seville: Prado de San Sebastian and the Plaza de Armas bus station. The Prado station is very safe all hours. I personally know a few of the security and police who work the station. They run undesirables out. Good security there.
But, be careful at Plaza de Armas. While I have not had any issues there myself at night. There have been incidents of crime there.

Baggage lockers at both stations. Armas you have to pay and get key from the information booth. Prado you pay locker directly.

Much truth in what you said.

Makes me think on an incident a few years ago. I was waiting in line for a bus after work one day. A person came up to the line waiting for the bus and asked for money. I gave this person a dollar, or probably, a half-dollar. This person immediately went into the liquor store few doors down. The ladies behind me in line said "Look, that person took your money and went straight to the liquor store to drink it up." I told them that I didn't mind because the first thing that I was going to do when I get home is pour myself a glass of wine, who am I to judge. We all had a big laugh.
Yes, the author C.S. Lewis also gave in this way and replied the same to his companion, who protested that the donation would immediately end up 'in the drink.'

Last edited:
I can't say that I condone what these people are doing. Their activities are dishonest. However, I have seen interviews of people who engage in such scams. These "con artists" get up every day and go out doing the same thing to make money. This is their "job" as they see it. For whatever reason, what they are doing is clearly more lucrative than taking a legal job. It will continue as long as society is willing to tolerate it.

Some make a good amount of money tax free and then get additional government aid, some have no work permit for the country or are in the country illegally, and yes, some can't seem to hold a job so it has become a way of life. Sad that we must always be on guard.

The poor lady on the corner with 5 kids that she is renting from the neighbors for a share of the daily take, the cute little boy who seems like he is trying to wash your car window but makes a mess then wants a tip followed by big brother who cleans the mess for another tip, and many of the other routines listed above are to get us to willingly part with money.

If they are hungry buy them food. If they are cold help them find shelter. If they just want $ or personal info BEWARE!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back