• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: The municipal albergue in Villafranca Montes de Oca is permanently closed!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
60 beds are lost. The solution is to go straight to the hotel Sant Anton Abad, only 50 m. up, where they have an albergue as well as a cafeteria, drying lines, and all you need.

How sad. The municipal door was always open. What happened? Is there any official notice posted?

No more info. It just looked shattered. And the senora at Sant Anton Abad had hard working days taking care of stressed pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Shattered? maybe shuttered?

I stayed there in June 2014 and it was fine. Such a shock to hear it has closed. I will check it out when I walk through in a couple of weeks time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
60 beds are lost. The solution is to go straight to the hotel Sant Anton Abad, only 50 m. up, where they have an albergue as well as a cafeteria, drying lines, and all you need.
Gave you a like, but of course for info. Hardly to be happy with closing of an (any) albergue though. Haven't stayed there but was planning for this year. So are the plans which are everchanging...

I'm very sorry you had to end your Camino and hope all is well!

There's a nice truck stop hotel in Montes De Oca

We stayed in the alburgue at the hotel Sant Anton Abad four nights ago but only because we made reservations. After the Abad alburgue / hotel turned away at least a hundred pilgrims the municipal albergue was opened sometime after 4pm. This was after both the Abad alburgue and hotel were full. So the muni is still functional to some extent but I cannot say why it is closed.

This is our fifth camino and the numbers of pilgrims is staggering . On our 13th night, every town we have stayed in has been completo except Logrono and Burgos. That's every town not just every alburgue. In towns with four alburgues all were filled . Such is the case now at 4pm here in Hornillos del Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, we've done Caminho Potuguese from Lisbon, the European Peace Walk Vienna to Trieste, and Via Francigena Sienna to Rome.....We are on Frances now because we never did it in spring before and I have a new hip so we needed an easy walk for me . Never thought it would be this crowded. This is less than a walk, more like waiting in a queue. . . OK, we made a mistake but we are into it now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Spring 2017 Kinky! Well that is if my foot heals in a good way....This year a " normal " holiday in Extremadura for us here. Enjoy the Caminos!!
Wish you speedy healing and enjoy your "not-at-all-normal" holidays ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I won't be really blogging but will try to post kind of a day-by-day journal later.
Kinkyone, I will follow you on here and would be extremely interested to hear about this part of the journey. I need to know how physical it is (my friend has terminal cancer), road access and accommodation information as there really isn't very much information to be found on the route itself and the new map on this forum doesn't show any alberques. Thanks for you response also :)

Kinkyone, I will follow you on here and would be extremely interested to hear about this part of the journey. I need to know how physical it is (my friend has terminal cancer), road access and accommodation information as there really isn't very much information to be found on the route itself and the new map on this forum doesn't show any alberques. Thanks for you response also :)
Let's not hijack this thread.
In this forum section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-vasco-del-interior.57/ you can find more info on Via de Bayona (Bayonne - Burgos) and Camino Vasce del Interior/Tunnel Route (Irun - Sto.Domingo de la Calzada). Both routes are actually ther same from Irun to Estavillo.
One of the threads is mine but there are ample info in websites on the internet. I'll post links in my thread. See you there ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sad to hear this. Stayed there last year in April. Wish you all well, Peter.

It was already closed six weeks ago. I stayed at the hotel's albergue and i liked it very much. At that time there was no explanation posted on the municipal's door (i don't remember it at least).

The lady at the hotel was really kind and helpful, and this albergue was enough for me.

Many people arrives in Villafranca from Sto. Domingo and the next place to stay at is San Juan de Ortega, 12k furthermost. The Consumer's guide should be updated.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back