• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning to all pilgrims (& all others): A heat wave is coming!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Long term forecast shows that hot air is coming from Africa towards Europe, starting from Monday June 24th, and lasting at least into Sunday 30th. Temperatures are predicted to rise into the 40s (Celcius, of course) effectiviely.

Some forecasts:

Pamplona: 31-38
Burgos: 29-38
Carrion: 26-37
Leon: 29-37
Sarria not so bad: 22-27
SdC not so bad: 23-26
Sevilla: 30-40

So better get up very early and stop at noon, rest in the shade and drink something cold (I'm talking beer here, but juice will also do...).

Predicted heat map: As you can see, almost all of Spain (and Portugal) will be heavily affected:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is precisely why I advanced my unavoidable break on the 2019 Camino from beginning of July to beginning of June --- personally very annoying BTW as I used to have a strong capacity to walk beneath those dog days, I've done a 65K beneath 40°, but I can no longer get close to any such feats of endurance, and as I looked at the more long-distance weather forecasting for this summer, the more apparent it became that I needed to pass this season by.

Good luck to all of you out there under that blazing sky !!! Wish I could still be out there with you all ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please, if you don't have any, invest a small amount of your money on suntan lotion. With such a fierce sun, it can do so much damage to our delicate skins. Above all, make sure you drink lots and lots of liquids as it's easy to forget that we lose so much more during the hotter spells.

Some of us reside in summer temps of a daily average of 40-45C (110F) and are familiar with managing heat & exercise. Most importantly, hydrate early and often and avoid alcohol. Watch for signs and symptoms of heat-related illness. If you ignore these symptoms, your condition can worsen, resulting in a medical emergency. Signs and symptoms may include:
  • Muscle cramps
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Excessive sweating
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Confusion
  • Irritability
  • Low blood pressure
  • Increased heart rate
  • Visual problems

If you develop any of these symptoms, you must lower your body temperature and get hydrated right away. Stop walking immediately and get out of the heat. Just because others are still walking doesn't mean you should. Take care of yourselves, pilgrims!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lightweight, and loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts protect against UV (sunburn) and infrared, radiant heat heating up the skin. Keeping the direct sun form hitting the skin helps the body stay cooler. All one needs do is look at the garb worn by primarily desert dwellers :)

From all that I read this heat wave will be severe all through Europe with it being the hottest on the Iberian Peninsula. One of
Those reflective umbrellas people use on the Southerly Caminos would probably be a very good idea. I read awhile ago that in addition to severe
daytime heat it will not cool down much at all at night. If you live in the States buy your sunscreen at home.
It was really expensive on the Portugues Camino 2 years ago!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heatwaves happen every summer in Spain, lived in León 17 years and never found them a problem, large hat loose clothing long sleeves and trousers and plenty of water and take it easy
This currently expected heatwave is making the news because it is expected to hit France, Germany, Benelux etc where heatwaves in general are not as frequent and intense as in Spain and where new record temperatures are expected for a few days. This one seems to be a bit unusual: apparently, how bad (hot) it will be in the end will also depend on how much Sahara dust will be included in the hot air coming from the south.
take it easy
Exactly. Apart from the usual (water, protection from the sun, shade, early morning etc): Don't walk much or don't walk at all when you are not used to such temperatures.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After today’s relentless rain I’d welcome a heatwave, but it seems that I’ve brought some typical Irish weather with me, and I’m in Asturias not Galiicia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Current situation in France :

b2158ab_9Q2t4cQcKw9aX2h-lnkz7BZa.png

No top-level danger warnings yet.

Lightweight, and loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts protect against UV (sunburn) and infrared, radiant heat heating up the skin. Keeping the direct sun form hitting the skin helps the body stay cooler. All one needs do is look at the garb worn by primarily desert dwellers :)

Yep. Cover up folks!
I'm covered head to toe when I'm walking.
Shorts? Never.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The area in Catalonia where I stopped about a month ago because the heat was too much for me is projected to potentially hit 45°C tomorrow ... it was already up to 32°C at the end of May !!

This is definitely one of the summers where if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen ...

It's almost certainly going to be worse than 1976.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The extreme South of France in the broad area between about Aix-en-Provence, Marseilles, Avignon, and Montpellier -- so a crossroads area for many Camino routes -- could get temperatures today between 42°C and 45°C

I'm one of the luckier ones as temps here are not set to get much higher than 30°C

It seems that four more waves of this heat are predicted for 2019 --

In mid-July, early August, late August and early September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep and today it is 56 in Hontanos at noon with thunderstorms forecast overnight, back to sweater weather

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's been raining in Pamplona/Puente la Reina.

But it's definitely heating up this weekend again --

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, there's an official warning in France for next week -- temps in several parts of the country expected between 35°C and 40°C as a baseline.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well according to heat maps I've seen, the only cooler areas are north of the Spanish mountains and so basically the Norte route, and a broad area south of the Alps but north of the central Italian mountain ranges stretching between about Monaco and Venice, and including Turin, Milan, Bologna and etc.

Everywhere else appears to be completely scorchio.

The Catalan, Via de la Plata, Madrid, and similar Caminos are probably getting the absolute worst of it.

Belgium is no walk in the breeze either. Very easy to melt or get a heatstroke. Drink a ton of water.

The funny thing is that I am now in Africa, more specifically in Algeria and here ... I will not say that it is cold ... but the temperature is very reasonable !!

😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am recovering from a heat stroke on the Camino de Invierno at the moment... There was only one really hot day, but sometimes it's all that it takes... Take care out there...

BP

I'm in a Leon hotel with air conditioning. I notice that I've acclimated to the heat so much that I'm uncomfortable below 23°!

Phew !! This wave wasn't as bad as the first !!

I *did* get a shock yesterday exiting a friend's/client's air-conditioned apartment back out into it LOL ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back