• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning!!

Ernesto.IT

Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
I came back from the Camino Portugues on the 8th of this month and after checking my Bank account, I realise 250 Euro was taken from my account. I was immediately refund by Barclays and in the same time the police is investigating. I was told that is the place indicating is a restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really fail to see how your post could realistically warn other pilgrims. Yes, things like this can happen, no, they are not frequent by a long way. What I take from your post is that 'some restaurant' 'somewhere in Portugal' swiped your card in a fraudulent way. I am really sorry that this happened to you but what are you actually warning people from? Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I came back from the Camino Portugues on the 8th of this month and after checking my Bank account, I realise 250 Euro was taken from my account. I was immediately refund by Barclays and in the same time the police is investigating. I was told that is the place indicating is a restaurant.
Need more details please, sorry to hear you got hit by this, Which city etc?

I really fail to see how your post could realistically warn other pilgrims. Yes, things like this can happen, no, they are not frequent by a long way. What I take from your post is that 'some restaurant' 'somewhere in Portugal' swiped your card in a fraudulent way. I am really sorry that this happened to you but what are you actually warning people from? Buen Camino, SY

Hi SYates, yes you are quite right. I have requested Barclay in writing the exact name and place of the restaurant, but at now no answer, I suppose and hope they are waiting for the police result. I did scan and send them the the stamped credential of around the days the money was taken from (the 17/05/2016).I started walking my Camino Portuguese the 6th of May from Lisbon. My apology I should have said nothing or warn anybody. I understand that the world we live in is not the same to all people. (promise to post the name of the place if I get an answer from Barc...)

I have learned my lesson since my card was skimmed on my Portuguese in 2010. I got a call from my bank to say that various amounts totalling around $5000 were taken from ATMs in Paris. I was never in Paris. This was 6 weeks after my return .
I can remember on 2 occasions in respectable hostals after Lisbon where my Visa was out of sight in the back office.I was silly and too trusting in those days . Had to fill out a form and received the money back from the bank. Luckily I had informed them when I would be out of the country.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Ernesto.IT : I'm less interested in the name of the establishment than in what actually happened. Did you actually visit the restaurant? Did this payment appear as a Visa card or similar payment on your statement or as a bank card/Maestro card payment?

As a visa card, I just checked because the Bank cancelled my card and now got a new one, what I could see from the account is the name and the exact date on which the amount was taken (15th/05/2016).
Unfortunately in all my Camino I never take any notice of they places I stop for the night or during the day, for example last year starting from
Geneva I stopped only for the night in 70 different villages, I haven't got that type of memory and I don't keep any tracks in writing. I don't know if I am aloud to wright the name which is showing up on the statement but I can give you that part of the credential involved, se for yourself. upload_2016-6-27_13-35-9.png

When traveling with credit cards:

1. NEVER allow the card out of your sight, even for 10 seconds. It can easily be swiped and read when you cannot see what is happening.
2. Never use your credit card in a restaurant, where the server commonly walks away from the table with your card to "process" it. My card was skimmed and stolen this way in 2009 while on holiday in coastal France.
3. If someone tells you the "system is down right now, leave your card and we will return it later..." take the card back and tell them to call or text you when the system is "back up." My credit card was scammed this way this past year, at a well-known hotel chain check-in counter in the US. It can happen anywhere.

USE CASH whenever and wherever possible on Camino. I only use my credit or debit cards at an a hotel check-in desk where everything is in plain sight, or in a large store, where I can control the swiping / reading of the card.

These measures will not eliminate credit card fraud. But they will help minimize the opportunities.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know this thread is about a credit card and a restaurant, but I love seeing stamps on a pilgrim passport. It makes me feel happy. :) <turns head sideways to see all the pretty stamps>

thanks for the thread,
just setup mobile banking on my android device
+ informed bank of my AWAY dates
which will serve me well vis-a-vis OP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know this thread is about a credit card and a restaurant, but I love seeing stamps on a pilgrim passport. It makes me feel happy. :) <turns head sideways to see all the pretty stamps>

So did I!
It is common sense never to let your credit cards out of your sight! Just like you do not use an ATM when the banks are closed. And always pay in cash.

Banks will not usually tell you exactly where a fraud originated because many people would go in and punch the owner.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very sorry to know. Does your credit card requires a Pin Code? If not, you must have extra precautions.
The regular procedure in Portugal is:
-The provider, restaurant, hostel, whatever, will input the amount to pay by the customer on the "TPA" machine
-Customer must press the green key (ok) to confirm the amount and then input the pin code for final validation
-Regardless the existence of pin code you must always have to press the green key (ok) that confirms the value to pay.
-You should also check the copy of the transaction printed by the machine

So, before press the green key, check the amount on the screen.
Bom Caminho

Cash is normally the way of the Camino. When I did use my card to replenish cash, it was always at a bank machine when the banks were open (in case of card or ATM problems). Good advice I received here during my planning and note-taking.
Has anyone had problems using ATM cards that are not chipped in Portugal at bank ATM machines? Mine's the older type w/o a chip, and I'm wondering if I need to see if my bank can replace it before I go w/ a chipped one . . .

I walked from SJPP May 2010. Maybe we passed each other. I finished in SDC early July.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone had problems using ATM cards that are not chipped in Portugal at bank ATM machines? Mine's the older type w/o a chip, and I'm wondering if I need to see if my bank can replace it before I go w/ a chipped one . . .

You are out of luck there. To draw money from an ATM/use a card to pay for anything you always need a chipped card with 4-digit PIN code in Europe. Buen Camino, SY

You are out of luck there. To draw money from an ATM/use a card to pay for anything you always need a chipped card with 4-digit PIN code in Europe. Buen Camino, SY[/QUOTE

Actually Sy....the chipped card is still Only required at stand alone kiosks like ticket machines.
The non-chip cards are still being accepted at other places. ATMs still accept non-chip cards all over Europe.
They are still switching out the US cards and Europe is not ready to decline all of those tourists and visitors.

Most US ATM cards are still not replaced with chips. It will be awhile yet.

If anyone has had a different experience...please post.
Remember....stand alone ticket machine kiosks do require chips if no attendant on site.

The best defense against credit card fraud when traveling is still to use ATM machines and cash. Only use a credit card at well known and trusted locations and keep very good record of each use.

I never use plastic in a restaurant in ANY country, only cash.

Another reason is when the wait staff selects your own currency which always results in you being screwed over by the bank.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from SJPP May 2010. Maybe we passed each other. I finished in SDC early July.

Hi, Lynda! If you meant me, I walked in September-October in 2010. But maybe we'll meet on the Way another time! :)

I appreciate the 'heads up' and a reminder to pay with cash as a general rule.

I appreciate the 'heads up' and a reminder to pay with cash as a general rule.

Thank you Keyfoo kid, I understand all the good advise served, I have been walking now a few thousand miles on different Camino but this time I slipped up and I only wanted my peregrinos family to be extra careful even after you have walked day in days out under the rain and you take a few minutes brake in a (what normally is) friendly place.
Buen Camino to every one !!!!!

Last edited:

€149,-
Thank you Keyfoo kid, I understand all the good advise served, I have been walking now a few thousand miles on different Camino but this time I slipped up and I only wanted my peregrinos family to be extra careful even after you have waked day in days out under the rain and you take a few minutes brake in a (what normally is) friendly place.
Buen Camino to every one !!!!!

To end in a good note, I am planning for next year, extra special Camino, :Acquapendente-Roma(to pick up the Roman Compostela and take the Saint Peter regards to Saint James in Santiago De Compostela with the usual Fisterre-Muxia. I am expected to walk for about 3000 kilometer in three months, hoping to have not to many problem.

Last edited:
You are out of luck there. To draw money from an ATM/use a card to pay for anything you always need a chipped card with 4-digit PIN code in Europe. Buen Camino, SY

I do not believe "...you always need a chipped card..." is accurate statement.

I know many who used a NON chip card in Europe. As recently as today!

You do how ever need a chipped card to use the kiosk ticket machines in train station, airport, etc.

I used my credit card extensively this year in various places along the CF without difficulty, and have not had any fraud (yet - I am touching wood). @t2andreo's advice is sound, but I don't see any need to become paranoid. Using the normal precautions against skimming, etc is enough in my view, and keeping an eye on credit card statements after the trip. I had more difficulty during and after my visit last year to the US with credit card charging practices and fraud than any time I have visited Europe, and this is not an uncommon experience amongst my friends. One now arranges for all his credit cards to be replaced after visiting the US because of the number of issues that he had had in the past. Of course, no country is immune from fraudsters, but normal good practice using your card should be sufficient protection.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used my credit card extensively this year in various places along the CF without difficulty, and have not had any fraud (yet - I am touching wood). @t2andreo's advice is sound, but I don't see any need to become paranoid. Using the normal precautions against skimming, etc is enough in my view, and keeping an eye on credit card statements after the trip. I had more difficulty during and after my visit last year to the US with credit card charging practices and fraud than any time I have visited Europe, and this is not an uncommon experience amongst my friends. One now arranges for all his credit cards to be replaced after visiting the US because of the number of issues that he had had in the past. Of course, no country is immune from fraudsters, but normal good practice using your card should be sufficient protection.

I would bet that this is because when you pay with a CC in most restaurants and bars in the US, the card disappears while the charge is placed. This makes my European friends very nervous --just another example of how financial transactions in the US are not as consumer-friendly as in Europe.

Some years ago I had my credit card charged with many amounts, totalling around 1000 euros, with buyings in Belgium (where I had never been). I noticed it when I came back home. I had used it to buy online a train ticket in France, to reserve a hotel, and in some restaurants in Paris (where you need to type your code in a pin pad to register the transaction). I recovered almost all the amount, but the experience let me uneasy; it is not exactly the souvenir that you want to carry home after a travel.
So, I try to use cash as much as posible; I never use my card in a restaurant where the waiter take it out of my sight for processing (if absolutely necessary, I go personally to the counter and make my payment there); and when typing my code number, I always cover the pin pad with the other hand.
Coming to think of it, a patron saint against electronic fraud will be handy. After some online search, it seems that Saint Expeditus may be the one. Saint Sernin (or Saturnin) may be another good candidate, especially because his church in Toulouse is an important jacobean stop.

I would bet that this is because when you pay with a CC in most restaurants and bars in the US, the card disappears while the charge is placed. This makes my European friends very nervous --just another example of how financial transactions in the US are not as consumer-friendly as in Europe.
I know what you are saying. At most places we either paid at the counter, or a portable EFTPOS terminal was brought to the table. That doesn't mean that it didn't happen the way you are describing, but I get very nervous by that too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry to hear that. The same thing happened to a friend of mine in Germany. Perhaps it's important to say NEVER give your card away to anyone and always ask to see the pin pad/till when they swipe the card to verify the amount being taken from your account. Even if that means you have to get up and go to the till. It could have been much more than €250 and your card could have been blocked while on the trip (like in case of my friend).

I think this can happen anywhere. After paying with my mastercard at only two different hotels that I stay on frequently somebody had taken out lots of money from my card in China, while I still had my card. Do not know how. I never gave my code away. After filling up my Tromsøbuscard on web somebody got money out from my card in USA while the card was still in my safe at home. Two different cards. So I would like to close my cards from use in countries I do not use them in, but my banks do not allow me to do that. I guess it is cheaper to pay customers back when the card is misused.

Our banks note where we are going and the dates, plus 'holiday use. Any unusual transactions are noted and they can text us before passing the transaction. One of our cards was compromised on a well known and supposedly trusted website and we had a call from the card provider. Card replaced and transaction was refused.
For the Camino we put cash on a euro cash card to draw from ATMs - total cut-out from cards or current account. The credit card is only used for hotel bills (in euros) and does not go out of our sight. Everything else we pay cash.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Obrigada!! I actually contacted my bank after my post, and my new chipped card is in the mail!

I may be overly cautious, but I' e been the victim of identity fraud more than once: I carried my cards in RFID blocking sleeves. Just about every Camino passes through large cities, where tourists also congregate--prime targets.

Most banks will put a daily limit on cash withdrawals from ATM's if requested ( some impose a limit that can be changed with a phone call ). It may be wise to place a daily limit and check your balances daily. If fraud is evident, it won't drain your entire account before finding out. I travel with two different travel friendly credit cards ( one MC & one VISA ) and two different ATM cards from different banks in case one is compromised. Should any fraud be detected I can shut down the account immediately and still have access to funds. Sounds like a lot, but it's worked for me .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We have a bank account used just for travel and it has a Visa Debit Card attached to it for money access and small expenditures. We only put enough money in that account from our main account (secure online banking) to cover a few days expenses just in case someone does place unsolicited charges on it. The banking is done from our cell phone through our bank's secure connection. and we can check any activity on that account at the time of our transfer. This WORKS WELL !!! My wife is a retired Flight Attendant, who traveled internationally, and this is the system we came up with and avoided a lot of angst.

Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back