• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Was I lonely? No...

Tulle

Time of past OR future Camino
1999 Burgos-SDC, 2003 Leon-SDC, 2007-2012 Le Puy-SDC, 2014 Burgos-Covarrubias, Camino Ingles 3 times
It is nearly two weeks since I came home after having walked Camino Ingles, alone. Last year when I thought about walking alone I was very much afraid that I would be lonely since I am a rather introvert person. But now I have done it and I was not lonely! I was alone but not lonely. I chose to stay in pensiones and hotels rather than albergues. In a way I thought it would be better to be lonely in my own room than among people in an albergue...But I enjoyed staying on my own in a hotel room. And I felt safe when I was walking the Camino, so much time to think and reflect.
I love Camino Ingles, I have now walked it 3 times and might do it again:)
I must admit there is one thing I don't like when walking alone: to go out eating. So I had no great and good meals in restaurants, but more "fast food"...:( I love the tortillas though..
PS: The day after I came home I went to sing in my church choir and one of the songs was "Go in the grace of the Lord" by James Barnard. Some of the lines: Go in hope, God's hope. Go in peace, God's peace. Go in joy, everlasting joy as you live in the fullness of his love. Go in the grace of the Lord.
These lines really express my feelings I had while I was walking Camino Ingles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I must admit there is one thing I don't like when walking alone: to go out eating. So I had no great and good meals in restaurants, but more "fast food"...:( I love the tortillas though.....
I usually cook for myself if there is equipped kitchen in albergue or maybe having just a picnic dinner but when I go to the restaurant for a meal then I try to sit at the table that has some view. It doesn't matter how nice or special the view is just as something is going on there in my view range.
When there's a football match on a TV screen that changes completely though :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is nearly two weeks since I came home after having walked Camino Ingles, alone. Last year when I thought about walking alone I was very much afraid that I would be lonely since I am a rather introvert person. But now I have done it and I was not lonely! I was alone but not lonely. I chose to stay in pensiones and hotels rather than albergues. In a way I thought it would be better to be lonely in my own room than among people in an albergue...But I enjoyed staying on my own in a hotel room. And I felt safe when I was walking the Camino, so much time to think and reflect.
I must admit there is one thing I don't like when walking alone: to go out eating. So I had no great and good meals in restaurants, but more "fast food"...:( I love the tortillas though..
PS: The day after I came home I went to sing in my church choir and one of the songs was "Go in the grace of the Lord" by James Barnard. Some of the lines: Go in hope, God's hope. Go in peace, God's peace. Go in joy, everlasting joy as you live in the fullness of his love. Go in the
I usually cook for myself if there is equipped kitchen in albergue or maybe having just a picnic dinner but when I go to the restaurant for a meal then I try to sit at the table that has some view. It doesn't matter how nice or special the view is just as something is going on there in my view range.
When there's a football match on a TV screen that changes completely though :D
American football right? LOL
The only thing I missed in Spain was American TV

Well.. We set off together now, me and my wife... Should arrive in La Coruna airport around midnight, and then catch first bus over to Ferrol early!!... Hope we aren't lonely either but never are ☺

My congratulations on completing your Camino adventure! How does it feel being back home after such a long journey? Would you do it again?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked my first Camino in summer 1990 and numbers walking then were tiny compared with today. I was often alone in the refugios, almost always walked alone, and probably met fewer than 30 other pilgrims in total between SJPDP and Santiago. When I got home someone asked me if I had been lonely during my walk. For a few seconds I simply could not understand the question: loneliness had never once crossed my mind. There is a big difference between solitude and loneliness and I think that it mostly lies in our own personalities rather than the setting we find ourselves in.

Well.. We set off together now, me and my wife... Should arrive in La Coruna airport around midnight, and then catch first bus over to Ferrol early!!... Hope we aren't lonely either but never are ☺
Buen camino to you! I am sure you will like Camino Ingles:)

I am walking again this January for the very opportunity to be alone! My work is in close proximity to thousands of people and the noise and energy, while great for business, builds up in me and I simply need to get away from it all so I can be free to contemplate the bigger things in life. Winter walking may have its challenges but for that peace and solitude it's a small price to pay. I'm happy you found that during your Camino too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PS: The day after I came home I went to sing in my church choir and one of the songs was "Go in the grace of the Lord" by James Barnard. Some of the lines: Go in hope, God's hope. Go in peace, God's peace. Go in joy, everlasting joy as you live in the fullness of his love. Go in the grace of the Lord.
Tulle, I am glad you had a good camino. Like you I discovered walking solo for the first time, I was alone but not lonely. Because I did stay in the albergues, I usually found someone to eat with at night. The times I ate by myself, I used to read or write. After my Ingles, I walked on to Muxia. When I returned to Santiago, I did find it strange because for the first time I did not know another pilgrim. I found going to the English mass at the cathedral and popping into the Pilgrim House for tea helpful. The Pilgrim House was also having a dinner that night. I also took a foodie tour- tapas crawl- to meet other people and learn more about Santiago's places to eat.

Re-reading the first post made me think about one huge difference between my first Camino Frances in 1990 and my experience walking the same route last year. I had very little contact with other pilgrims on my first journey but far more interaction with local residents. On my first Camino on most days I would be stopped in the street by local people and asked about my journey before being wished a "buen camino!". In 1990 I was almost always the only pilgrim to be eating or drinking in a bar or restaurant. Many times local people - either bar staff or customers - seeing me sitting alone would walk over to me and begin a conversation. Quite often I would then be invited to sit with a group of friends or a family rather than eat or drink alone. On several occasions I discovered on leaving the bar that some other customer had already paid for my meal as an anonymous gift. Now it sometimes feels as if pilgrims move in a bubble of their own relying on each other for company and have far less contact with local people other than those providing services. Perhaps inevitable given the massive growth in pilgrim numbers but I do feel that something special has been lost there.

My congratulations on completing your Camino adventure! How does it feel being back home after such a long journey? Would you do it again?
Thank you! After a journey I always love coming home again but I am thinking of the Camino every day:) Would I do it again? I thought this should be my last Camino, but I am already thinking about next year...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

With God in your Heart, how could anyone be lonely? :)

Did you enjoy thewalking? Please can you tell us something about the lanscape?

Introvert? Lonely" Walking the Ingles 3 times...You are a Pro !!!!!

Congrats to you...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With God in your Heart, how could anyone be lonely? :)
So true! Some years ago I was walking in France together with my husband and two friends. One day we met a young girl who was on her way to Santiago, walking alone, and she had started from her home in Berlin, Germany. She had been ill and had stayed with some nuns for several weeks. When we asked her: How can you possibly walk alone for such a long walk? Her answer was: I am not alone, I walk with God. I have often been thinking of her and her faith and I hope she made it to Santiago!

Did you enjoy thewalking? Please can you tell us something about the lanscape?
I really enjoy walking Camino Ingles. This Camino is not too hard, I think that after the latest changes there's only one real challenge, that is walking out of Pontedeume. A rather steep but short walk up the hill. And when you come to the top turn around and enjoy the view:)
Johnnie Walker once described the landscape as "gentle undulating hills" and I agree with him.
You walk through many small towns and villages so there is a good deal of asphalt walking. But there are also many wonderful forests and forest roads. Some places you also walk near the sea, in summer you could take a swim on the nice beach before Pontedeume:)

Hi Tulle,
I'm doing the Ingles next May and have booked all my accommodation except for at Betanzos - where did you stay? Any suggestions?

Well done on the third Ingles by the way!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tulle,
I'm doing the Ingles next May and have booked all my accommodation except for at Betanzos - where did you stay? Any suggestions?

Hi Jeff, I know you didn't ask me :) but I really enjoyed staying in Hotel Garelos in Betanzos. A bit pricey but SO nice - big rooms and a great fortifying buffet breakfast in the morning. It's right off of the main square. I stayed there two nights.

Interested in where you stayed there @Tulle !

Buen Camino, Jeff!

Hi Tulle,

I have stayed in Hotel Palacete. A modern and ok hotel. The first time we stayed there the breakfast was miserable so later I have eaten in a bar near by. But later I met two Germans who had stayed there and had got a very good breakfast..
People also recommend Hotel Garelos, but I don't know anything about it. And an albergue was out of the question for me this time.

Hi Jeff, I know you didn't ask me :) but I really enjoyed staying in Hotel Garelos in Betanzos. A bit pricey but SO nice - big rooms and a great fortifying buffet breakfast in the morning. It's right off of the main square. I stayed there two nights.

Interested in where you stayed there @Tulle !

Buen Camino, Jeff!
Mmm, I saw that one over the weekend but apparently already fully booked for the end of May next year!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have stayed in Hotel Palacete. A modern and ok hotel. The first time we stayed there the breakfast was miserable so later I have eaten in a bar near by. But later I met two Germans who had stayed there and had got a very good breakfast..
People also recommend Hotel Garelos, but I don't know anything about it. And an albergue was out of the question for me this time.
This too is fully booked! Is the Ingles expecting an invasion next year or is it a ploy by Booking.com?

Last edited:
This too is fully booked! Is the Ingles expecting an invasion next year of is it a ploy by Booking.com?
I usually try booking.com first, but when they say it is full I contact the hotel directly, and voila, there is a room! Booking.com does not dispose all rooms, I think. Try mailing the hotel.

That's just how booking.com does it sometimes, especially when it's kind of far in advance. I'd contact the hotel directly. The folks at Garelos speak English, so that makes it easy! Buen Camino!

Mmm, I saw that one over the weekend but apparently already fully booked for the end of May next year!

Hi Jeff, try this: http://www.hotelgarelos.com/ and try "Contact and Reservations".

In July, they had been withholding some rooms from Booking.com, but I was able to get a second night by directly messaging the hotel.

I saw somewhere that Hotel Palacete is actually closed down now, but I could be very wrong....

Enjoy all the planning!

Hi Jeff, try this: http://www.hotelgarelos.com/ and try "Contact and Reservations".

In July, they had been withholding some rooms from Booking.com, but I was able to get a second night by directly messaging the hotel.

I saw somewhere that Hotel Palacete is actually closed down now, but I could be very wrong....

Enjoy all the planning!
Oh I have tried that believe me - all I get is http://www.hotelgarelos.com/index_choke.html and a black screen.

I'll get there somehow - sorry to have hijacked the post @Tulle!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, I'm also getting the black screen. They do have a Facebook page that they are pretty active on. It lists their email address as: info@hotelgarelos.com

Buena Suerte!
Apparently it's to do with Adobe Flash add-ins . . . Never thought of Facebook (headslap)
Got around it by using MS Edge!
Very fast response from hotel, room all booked, thanks to all for the input.
We're corresponding on
hotelgarelos@gmail.com
Looks like a great place to stay.

Apparently it's to do with Adobe Flash add-ins . . . Never thought of Facebook (headslap)
Got around it by using MS Edge!
Very fast response from hotel, room all booked, thanks to all for the input.
We're corresponding on
hotelgarelos@gmail.com
Looks like a great place to stay.

Nice, Jeff! Enjoy!! If you have time take the short walk to Pasatiempos park in Betanzos. Uber quirky!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tulle.
I am just wondering if you had to book a place to sleep or did you just arrive and ask for a room? I am thinking about doing the Camino Inglés with my daughter and we would like to stay in hostels like you did.
Thank you
Runa

Hi Tulle.
I am just wondering if you had to book a place to sleep or did you just arrive and ask for a room? I am thinking about doing the Camino Inglés with my daughter and we would like to stay in hostels like you did.
Thank you
Runa
I have walked many times and I have slept in all kinds of albergues, but now I want a bit more comfort, so I like to sleep in pensiones and hotels.:) And since I am not young anymore I like to know that I have a bed. So I have booked all places before I left. You don't have the complete freedom then but I like it that way:) I mostly used booking.com or I contacted the hotel directly.

I have walked many times and I have slept in all kinds of albergues, but now I want a bit more comfort, so I like to sleep in pensiones and hotels.:) And since I am not young anymore I like to know that I have a bed. So I have booked all places before I left. You don't have the complete freedom then but I like it that way:) I mostly used booking.com or I contacted the hotel directly.
Thank you so much. I will keep that in mind when it gets closer to our trip. Best regards, Runa.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We were a day ahead of you just returned home last night .

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back