• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Was it one walk enough for you ? or The Camino turn up to be like a Health Drug

Walid Medawar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese ( July 2015 )
Hello All ,

It's been a Month since my First Camino and the Idea of doing it again can't go out of my Head. So I was wondering how many of Those who walked the camino wanted to do it again and again and how many just walked it once and it was Enough for them.
For those who wanted to do it again , i would love also to know if the idea of doing it again was hunting them directly after the camino , since to be Honest , i can't answer myself this question " If i feel i found what i need during the camino , why I feel the need to walk it again and so soon " .

awaiting your answers thanking you in advance
Walid

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here´s a tip if you don´t mind - start planning another Camino even if you never return - it´s great fun
I already Started . I walked the Portuguese this year and directly started to plan the Frances . Thanks for your insights and I gladly accept your advise since it do answer my question :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello All ,

It's been a Month since my First Camino and the Idea of doing it again can't go out of my Head. So I was wondering how many of Those who walked the camino wanted to do it again and again and how many just walked it once and it was Enough for them.
For those who wanted to do it again , i would love also to know if the idea of doing it again was hunting them directly after the camino , since to be Honest , i can't answer myself this question " If i feel i found what i need during the camino , why I feel the need to walk it again and so soon " .

Walid
Hi Walid, it all started with the Camino Frances that my wife walked in 2013.
In 2014 we walked from Sarria to Finistere together. This year I walked the Camino Frances and in Santiago we both decided to walk the Camino Portugues next year. And I will walk the Camino Norte in 2017 alone. And when God willing I retire work in 2018, I will walk the Camino from my home town in the Netherlands. And after that. ........:cool:
Wish you all well and a great Camino feeling, Peter.

A big part of my first camino i really said to myself, wonderful, but NEVER again. I had sooo much leg, feet, toe and blister issues, you would not believe, but when i walked into Santiago i knew straight away, i will do this again.

Camino nr 6 coming up know and i know this will not be my last.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first camino 11 months ago I made it to Burgos before I came down with pneumonia and had to go with plan B (I was not walking the entire CF). But I knew by the second day that I wanted to come back and finish or do another section. I think of the camino every day. I'm looking at late April '16 for Ponferrada to SdC.

I wouldn't call it an addiction - just a beautiful transcendental experience that I would like to do over and over again. It was for me a 27-day spiritual retreat on foot, an outward and inner journey which I did in 2010. I promised to myself that I would do it in 2021 for the next Xacobeo and again in 2029 when I turn 75 years old. But I can't bear to wait that long, so I am going back next year in August 2016.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the CF in 2009 with a lifelong best friend. We had a wonderful and memorable journey that was for Frances a joyous 'once in a lifetime' event but I knew within two or three weeks of starting that I'd need to be 'doing this again! That pilgrimage became a starting point for a much longer and solo journey. I know that when I reach SDC this time I may still feel the pull of making another long distance pilgrimage…..and that's just fine by me!

Last edited:
Hello All ,

Walid
When I finished my first camino I actually commented that anyone wanting to do that again must me a right masochist, I mean, you just got to be nuts, so never again for me. I then started writing my book about my 'way' and realised within a couple of months of arriving home that I just had to do it again. Dont ask me why, it just had to be. I arrived home from my second on 26th May just past and said 'thats it out of my system, never again'. Guess what, I gotta go back. Dont know when but once again, it just has to be. As one American pilgrim told me, 'its my first time so I have an excuse, you should have known better'. Another old Yank of Irish descent was on his 12th camino and 10th last one and said,'its addictive and the cure is painful'. Finally, to maybe answer your question, what you found was such an amazing experience, its human nature to want to experience it again

Hello All ,

Walid
Leaving next week for my second Camino, the first was in May, 2013. I honestly thought that by this time I would be able to articulate the "why" of it but I cannot. One of the wonderful things about this Forum is that there are so many others who have fallen under the spell of the Camino and it's great to be in such company, but still am no closer to "why". So I am accepting the amazing gift of being able to make this journey again and will perhaps sort it all out along the way, but I doubt it. I hope you return.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have walked part or all of the Camino Frances the last three years, the first one in 2013 at age 65. After finishing the first Camino, I had a fantasy of walking the Camino every year until I reach 80 years old. Only 12 more years! I absolutely love it. I keep coming back to the Camino Frances because it has less pavement than some other routes like the Camino Norte y Portuguese routes and because I love the energy and people you meet. I don't even mind the crowds in the last 100km. I just stop or walk faster to give myself some distance from a crowd.

I wouldn't call it an addiction - just a beautiful transcendental experience that I would like to do over and over again. It was for me a 27-day spiritual retreat on foot, an outward and inner journey which I did in 2010. I promised to myself that I would do it in 2021 for the next Xacobeo and again in 2029 when I turn 75 years old. But I can't bear to wait that long, so I am going back next year in August 2016.
OMG….my first walk is in 18 days. If I were to do it again 1n 2029….I'd be 94! Hell, why not?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
just a beautiful transcendental experience
Couldn't describe it better , Thanks you for this lovely sharing . I was sure before you finish your message that you would be saying you will be doing it again shortly :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't even mind the crowds in the last 100km
Next Time Ill see someone walking fast i'll Assume it's You :) Jocking .. You made me confuse with the age though , im a finance guy so i directly started to make calculation in my head and Nothing Matched.

I walked the CF in 2014 and knew as soon as I'd finished that I'd be back. So now I'm planning for next summer and hopefully make it as far as Finisterre this time. Really can't wait to do it all again!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked part or all of the Camino Frances the last three years, the first one in 2013 at age 65. After finishing the first Camino, I had a fantasy of walking the Camino every year until I reach 80 years old. Only 12 more years! I absolutely love it. I keep coming back to the Camino Frances because it has less pavement than some other routes like the Camino Norte y Portuguese routes and because I love the energy and people you meet. I don't even mind the crowds in the last 100km. I just stop or walk faster to give myself some distance from a crowd.
Why would stop at 80? :>)

OMG….my first walk is in 18 days. If I were to do it again 1n 2029….I'd be 94! Hell, why not?
Hi, yes why not. People say that walking is good for your health .:rolleyes::rolleyes: I will do the same, one year my wife and I will walk together and the year after I walk alone.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

My first camino 11 months ago I made it to Burgos before I came down with pneumonia and had to go with plan B (I was not walking the entire CF). But I knew by the second day that I wanted to come back and finish or do another section. I think of the camino every day. I'm looking at late April '16 for Ponferrada to SdC.
Go for it, wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I haven't yet been able to take enough time off work to walk more than a 10 day stretch of a camino but even 3/4 days can satisfy the "camino itch" for another year . This year my husband turns 60 and as he is a reluctant camino walker , he pleaded with me to book a non-walking , non-back-packing holiday this year . He has always wanted to go to Greece so I booked an 11 night holiday on Corfu , staying in an apartment . Then I discovered there was a " Corfu Trail " ! I persuaded him to accompany me on this for 3 days and thought that would satisfy my urge for this year , but without the backpack and staying in different places every night , it just didn't feel like a Camino ! So , as soon as I got home and logged on again to this forum , the longing was as bad as ever ! I asked him as my birthday treat to come to Lisbon in November and we will walk 4 days of the Camino Portuguese as far as Santarem , where I will enjoy my birthday , and maybe visit Fatima before returning home . I have tentatively suggested in work , at my performance review , that I might be looking for 5 weeks holidays in 2016 !

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back