• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washers and Dryers on the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Could we start a list of albergues where we KNOW there are washers and dryers on the Camino Frances?
It seems that 10 years ago we all did the cold water hand washing thing.
But now I see more and more machines on the Camino.

Here are the ones I remember offhand:

Roncesvalles Albergue
Pension Amets - Zubiri
Albergue Jakue - Puente la Reina
Casa de la Abuela - Los Arcos - she'll do the laundry for a fee
Albergue Ultreia - Portomarin
Albergue Piedra - Villafranca - they'll do the laundry for a fee

I realize most of these are privates.
What about in the municipals - do they have machines these days?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie,
If you look at the non private albergue listings in www.Gronze.com the washers/ dryers are noted for those places that have them, for example Valcarlos.

Happy planning,
MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ersoki also gives that information in the details of each albergue.

To be honest I expected to wash things by hand every day.....Good to know there might be washing machines and dryers

You can also simply ask when you arrive at an albergue..."¿Tiene una lavadora..."

Often, someone associated with the albergue takes in wash at "X" Euros per load. Combine with another's clothing to fill out a load.

I find this useful even at hostals and hotels.

Other related useful statements I have used, include:
  • Please use only cold water - Por favor, uso sólo agua fría.
  • Please do not use a clothes dryer - Por favor, no uso una secadora de ropa.
I think I got it correct. But you know what I mean...;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergue de Villatuerta "Casa Magica" - Calle Rebote, 5, Villatuerta - Self-Serve Washer and Dryer...Outside Sink...Multiple Laundry Drying Lines

A related question: what do you all use for laundry soap/detergent?

Thanks, Priscilla

I remember at least a couple that had washers and dryers:
Casa Mariela in Torres del Rio -- self serve
Liberanos Domine in Rabé del las Calzados -- done by hospitalera (I think it may have been 6€ per load to wash, dry, and fold)
Sierves de Maria in Astorga -- I don't recall the details, but they had at least washers because I remember hanging our clothes outside afterward

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Priscilla, if I'm washing by hand I buy a bar of cold water washing detergent in Spain or take along a slice of Fels Naptha.

If you are going to use the washers along the route, the soap is supplied.

Thanks for this, Annie. I will use washers occasionally but plan to mostly do it by hand. A local soap maker makes her own bar of laundry soap, maybe I'll take that.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back