• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washing Backpack - Dumb Questin?

Hilarious

Hilarious
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning stage Camino Frances from SJPdP (Sept. 2019)
Firstly thank you all for the priceless advice I have received here! I have been wearing my loaded backpack on my training walks for many months now. I live in a high humidity area in Queensland, Australia and would like to wash my backpack prior to my mid September Camino Frances. I’m not a seasoned hiker so have never done this before.
What’s the best way to go about this in your opinion?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Firstly thank you all for the priceless advice I have received here! I have been wearing my loaded backpack on my training walks for many months now. I live in a high humidity area in Queensland, Australia and would like to wash my backpack prior to my mid September Camino Frances. I’m not a seasoned hiker so have never done this before.
Oops - questin! Brain and finger unsync! Perhaps I’m on a quest with this questin?

Look at the website of the manufacturer of your pack. I'm pretty sure you'll find instructions there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I regularly (i.e. annually) wash my backpack in a large tub, or bath tub, with some laundry detergent. Maybe a brush here and there. If you can figure out how to remove any removable parts or panels, that is good. If you want to be rigorous, you could remove the buckles. Then rinse and let it drip dry.

Given that I have just posted about my cavalier attitude to laundry, on a thread about merino, I will admit that I have little patience for delicate clothing and you might not want to rely on my advice. Once I even dried my backpack in a hot drier, without removing the plastic stiffening panel, and I was not surprised to see that it developed an unnatural curvature :oops:. Don't do that. (I was more worried about bedbugs than about my pack, and I didn't realize I could remove the panel. I have since learned, on a replacement pack, that it is removable, but it is very hard to get back in.)

I regularly (i.e. annually) wash my backpack in a large tub, or bath tub, with some laundry detergent. Maybe a brush here and there. If you can figure out how to remove any removable parts or panels, that is good. If you want to be rigorous, you could remove the buckles. Then rinse and let it drip dry.

Given that I have just posted about my cavalier attitude to laundry, on a thread about merino, I will admit that I have little patience for delicate clothing and you might not want to rely on my advice. Once I even dried my backpack in a hot drier, without removing the plastic stiffening panel, and I was not surprised to see that it developed an unnatural curvature :oops:. Don't do that. (I was more worried about bedbugs than about my pack, and I didn't realize I could remove the panel. I have since learned, on a replacement pack, that it is removable, but it is very hard to get back in.)
Thank you C clearly. That would be my style - removing something that should not be removed so it’s great to have a heads up!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

What brand and model is your backpack?

I have since learned, on a replacement pack, that it is removable, but it is very hard to get back in.)
I was able to remove the frame panel from a previous backpack and wash and dry the fabric part by machine. I also found it hard to put back on the frame, until I wetted the fabric which allowed it to stretch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have "hosed down" my Osprey pack four times with some kitchen dish soap after returning home from the Caminos. It comes out clean and like new. I would think any newer backpack would be made to withstand some soap and water!
Thank you. I will try this.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What brand and model is your backpack?
Hi Dave Bugg. It is a Kathmandu 28litre XF Air Women’s fit. I have looked at their website and it seems that this model is discontinued. I bought it probably 15 months ago. What do you think about dishwashing liquid in warm soapy water with a brush and sponge for the inside. Then hosing off and drying outdoors?

When I have anything that claims it cannot be washed but needs to be cleaned I just throw it in the machine and see what happens. if it can't be washed I will have to buy a new one anyway. so my only loss is the cost of a wash.
With a pack I would take out any frames or stiffeners first. After the wash spray it with a waterproofing spray to keep and damp off. I Don't worry about getting the waterproofing right because I always use a flexible 40 micron impermeable non organic liner or a trash bag in my rucksack.
My view with anything Camino related is that it will either be right or it will be something else, whatever happens you just have to move on from there.

Hi Dave Bugg. It is a Kathmandu 28litre XF Air Women’s fit. I have looked at their website and it seems that this model is discontinued. I bought it probably 15 months ago. What do you think about dishwashing liquid in warm soapy water with a brush and sponge for the inside. Then hosing off and drying outdoors?

That sounds fine. Rather than dish washing liquid, using a mild, neutral soap like a Castile would be a better bet. Better still would be a product called Nikwax Tech Wash. In any event, your plan sounds fine. A soft nylon bristled brush is fine to use for the exterior fabric.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That sounds fine. Rather than dish washing liquid, using a mild, neutral soap like a Castile would be a better bet. Better still would be a product called Nikwax Tech Wash. In any event, your plan sounds fine. A soft nylon bristled brush is fine to use for the exterior fabric.
Many thanks Dave!

I wash everything including backpacks, hockey equipment, rugs etc in a front loading washing machine with laundry soap. These are gentle machines. Everything always comes out fresh and clean. Drip dry!
Thanks for the advice. I have a top loader though so it will be the pure soap, brush and sponge for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After a few days on the Camino, your backpack will be dusty so don’t spend too much time getting it sparkling clean! I use a hose and just a bit of mild dish soap (they wash wildlife with the stuff so it’s not that harsh). I’d skip scrubbing with a brush unless you have a specific problem area.

Then drip dry on the clothesline like all of the clothes I take with me. 👍. Simple, effective, and quick.

After a few days on the Camino, your backpack will be dusty so don’t spend too much time getting it sparkling clean! I use a hose and just a bit of mild dish soap (they wash wildlife with the stuff so it’s not that harsh). I’d skip scrubbing with a brush unless you have a specific problem area.

Then drip dry on the clothesline like all of the clothes I take with me. 👍. Simple, effective, and quick.
Exactly what I do...word for word!☺

I too wash my pack in a front loading machine. I take it to a self-service laundromat with high capacity machines. Slip it in lengthwise with a mild soap and it is like new when it comes out. I air dry it. I have done Vaude, Osprey, Arcteryx and Gregory packs without adverse effects. I use a pack cover so haven’t noticed waterproofing problems although that may be an issue.

I usually wash my Osprey rucksacks according to Osprey's instructions. If you go to the manufacturer's website for your rucksack, there should be a Q&A or information in the support section of the site regarding care of your rucksack.

In my case, Osprey recommends using "Nik-Wax,' a product sold in outdoors shops and specifically made for waterproofed rucksacks.

One uses it by soaking your rucksack, with all straps fully loosened, in a tub of warm water. 10 - 15 cm / 3 - 4 inches of water will do it. The Nik-Wax is added and dissolved.

I use an old toothbrush, intended for use with spot-treating clothing stains to work at stains on the outside of the rucksack after soaking for maybe 15 minutes.

Stains on the inside are only ever worked with either a sponge or a microfiber towel, NEVER a brush. Once that waterproofing part of the material is gone, it is gone. The more advanced your rucksack material is, the more delicate it is, in terms of waterproofing.

After a thorough soak, hand agitation wash and spot scrub, I rinse the rucksack using the removable Euro hand shower thingie. Having traveled extensively and lived in Europe, I LOVE these things! They come in handy for all sorts of things, like rinsing down the shower area after use, washing pets, and cleaning large, ungainly things like rucksacks.

I allow the rucksack to drip dry in the shower before moving it to my garage. I do not hang it outside because i do not want the birds to target it. Also, as I live in South Florida, my garage is always toasty warm. I hang the rucksack on a hook from an overhead storage rack and allow it to air dry. Overnight is all it ever takes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Sounds good to me. Thank you.

I too wash my pack in a front loading machine. I take it to a self-service laundromat with high capacity machines. Slip it in lengthwise with a mild soap and it is like new when it comes out. I air dry it. I have done Vaude, Osprey, Arcteryx and Gregory packs without adverse effects. I use a pack cover so haven’t noticed waterproofing problems although that may be an issue.
Thank you. I think front loafers are more gentle than top loaders. Laundromats around here are all top loaders. We also have lots of coal miners around here so backpack could come out dirtier than it went in! LOL!

I usually wash my Osprey rucksacks according to Osprey's instructions. If you go to the manufacturer's website for your rucksack, there should be a Q&A or information in the support section of the site regarding care of your rucksack.

In my case, Osprey recommends using "Nik-Wax,' a product sold in outdoors shops and specifically made for waterproofed rucksacks.

One uses it by soaking your rucksack, with all straps fully loosened, in a tub of warm water. 10 - 15 cm / 3 - 4 inches of water will do it. The Nik-Wax is added and dissolved.

I use an old toothbrush, intended for use with spot-treating clothing stains to work at stains on the outside of the rucksack after soaking for maybe 15 minutes.

Stains on the inside are only ever worked with either a sponge or a microfiber towel, NEVER a brush. Once that waterproofing part of the material is gone, it is gone. The more advanced your rucksack material is, the more delicate it is, in terms of waterproofing.

After a thorough soak, hand agitation wash and spot scrub, I rinse the rucksack using the removable Euro hand shower thingie. Having traveled extensively and lived in Europe, I LOVE these things! They come in handy for all sorts of things, like rinsing down the shower area after use, washing pets, and cleaning large, ungainly things like rucksacks.

I allow the rucksack to drip dry in the shower before moving it to my garage. I do not hang it outside because i do not want the birds to target it. Also, as I live in South Florida, my garage is always toasty warm. I hang the rucksack on a hook from an overhead storage rack and allow it to air dry. Overnight is all it ever takes.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks! I will look for the Nik-Wax. Dave Bugg spoke about this as well. Have looked on the manufacturer’s website and can’t find any washing instructions. Thanks to everyone here I have great advice once again.

€46,-
I wash the pack because it gets smelly. Some dirt might be removed, but not all.
It's great if you can get the stabilising parts away and a big backpack finally fits into a normal washing machine. Your small 28 model should fit anyway.
30°C and not much washing powder will be OK for most synthetics. There is no need for extra expensive special outdoor wash. powder is usually tenside and some aroma. No extras e.g. no 3 months smell, no softener!!! ... that you can find in liquids.

Switch off the tumble dryer.

Most backpacks haven't been waterproof while new. Why should we expect that after washing? the typical PU-coatening wears off with time and seams are always leaking.

Many thanks! I will look for the Nik-Wax. Dave Bugg spoke about this as well. Have looked on the manufacturer’s website and can’t find any washing instructions. Thanks to everyone here I have great advice once again.

There are several products similar to Nikwax which will also be effective:
Grangers Performance Wash, (which I think is made in England)
Gear Aid Revivex Pro High-Tech Fabric Cleaner

The reason I recommend these types of products is because regular detergents and soaps actually leave a bit of residue on the threads of the fabric material which tends to attract and hold moisture. Most backpack material is either coated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) or similar product which helps with water resistance. That same residue can also 'hold onto' dust and dirt.

If water repellency is not a priority, than any neutral and clean rinsing soap will do. But I also think that these DWR friendly washes do a great job on technical fabrics. And if you use a waterproof/breathable rain jacket, then it is mandatory that you use a Tech wash to keep the jacket or shell's performance optimum and to revive its performance over time.

Now, I am a backpack slob. I consider the stains and scuffs and such to be part of my backpack's history and scrapbook. I can still look at the inky, embedded soot stain in the International Orange fabric of my old Camp Trails backpack a and remember the specific overnight camp location in the Goat Rocks Wilderness where it attached itself.

I clean the interior of my backpack as needed with a vacuum and a damp cloth, but I really don't do much more than brush loose dust and dirt and dried mud off the exterior.

@Hilarious, I don't have anything to add about how you might wash your pack, but I would suggest you consider that you do it just before returning to Australia, particularly if you have been carrying food products in the pack. I have been stopped in the past by the sniffer dogs in the baggage hall, and even though I was not carrying any fruits or other foods, had to completely unpack the pack and it was subjected to the most rigourous inspection I have ever seen. On following trips, I have used a damp sponge or face washer and soapy water to wash and rinse off the inside and outside of the back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are several products similar to Nikwax which will also be effective:
Grangers Performance Wash, (which I think is made in England)
Gear Aid Revivex Pro High-Tech Fabric Cleaner

The reason I recommend these types of products is because regular detergents and soaps actually leave a bit of residue on the threads of the fabric material which tends to attract and hold moisture. Most backpack material is either coated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) or similar product which helps with water resistance. That same residue can also 'hold onto' dust and dirt.

If water repellency is not a priority, than any neutral and clean rinsing soap will do. But I also think that these DWR friendly washes do a great job on technical fabrics. And if you use a waterproof/breathable rain jacket, then it is mandatory that you use a Tech wash to keep the jacket or shell's performance optimum and to revive its performance over time.

Now, I am a backpack slob. I consider the stains and scuffs and such to be part of my backpack's history and scrapbook. I can still look at the inky, embedded soot stain in the International Orange fabric of my old Camp Trails backpack a and remember the specific overnight camp location in the Goat Rocks Wilderness where it attached itself.

I clean the interior of my backpack as needed with a vacuum and a damp cloth, but I really don't do much more than brush loose dust and dirt and dried mud off the exterior.
Thanks again Dave. I love your responses as it’s good to know the reasons for/and sometimes against a particular product. Also like your attitude to the marks on the backpack.

I wash the pack because it gets smelly. Some dirt might be removed, but not all.
It's great if you can get the stabilising parts away and a big backpack finally fits into a normal washing machine. Your small 28 model should fit anyway.
30°C and not much washing powder will be OK for most synthetics. There is no need for extra expensive special outdoor wash. powder is usually tenside and some aroma. No extras e.g. no 3 months smell, no softener!!! ... that you can find in liquids.

Switch off the tumble dryer.

Most backpacks haven't been waterproof while new. Why should we expect that after washing? the typical PU-coatening wears off with time and seams are always leaking.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Look at the website of the manufacturer of your pack. I'm pretty sure you'll find instructions there.

Gentle wash in the bath with velvet soap on grubby areas. Might see you in September!

You don't want oily detergent residue in the hip belt webbing in particular, which can make the belt slippery and unable to hold firm in the friction buckle. If you're belt slips, you end up carrying the weight of the pack on your shoulders instead of your hips, which is not good.

I don't wash my packs very often, but I won't use a regular detergent again. It pains me to pay those kinda prices, but I'll use one of the technical cleaners mentioned above that doesn't leave a residue.

If your pack has an internal frame, like a bent fiber rod, remove it, then put pack in the washer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Hilarious, I don't have anything to add about how you might wash your pack, but I would suggest you consider that you do it just before returning to Australia, particularly if you have been carrying food products in the pack. I have been stopped in the past by the sniffer dogs in the baggage hall, and even though I was not carrying any fruits or other foods, had to completely unpack the pack and it was subjected to the most rigourous inspection I have ever seen. On following trips, I have used a damp sponge or face washer and soapy water to wash and rinse off the inside and outside of the back.

this could be applied to some pilgrims as well! :)

Like Chrissy, I hosed mine down between Caminos and let it dry in the sun.
Then, year before last, I got disgusted and threw it away in a bus station in Cordoba.
Partially because I felt I was finished walking Caminos, but also because it stunk to high heaven.
Now I'm sorry.
I've never found another pack I loved so much.
Arcteryx stopped making that model and I can't find a 30L top loader with as much support, as sturdy.

Have you thought about having it dry cleaned?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like Chrissy, I hosed mine down between Caminos and let it dry in the sun.
Then, year before last, I got disgusted and threw it away in a bus station in Cordoba.
Partially because I felt I was finished walking Caminos, but also because it stunk to high heaven.
Now I'm sorry.
I've never found another pack I loved so much.
Arcteryx stopped making that model and I can't find a 30L top loader with as much support, as sturdy.

Have you thought about having it dry cleaned?
Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences. The pack is washed! Had to send away for the wash Gearaid. Have just ordered a special permethrin spray for spraying the pack (could not get this at the outdoor shops where I live) so I’ll be good to fly out on 15 September. Dougfitz, had a dream last night about customs and having carried bananas in my pack! Good advice you gave me.

Just my oppinion: Washing machine. Program with cold water for sencitive cloths. Repeat twice.

Just my oppinion: Washing machine. Program with cold water for sencitive cloths. Repeat twice.
I have packs made by Deuter, Osprey and Fjallraven amongst others. All three are clear about NOT putting their packs into a washing machine. @C clearly's advice earlier in this thread would be my approach. Manufacturer's care instructions are relatively easy to find on the web if you are in doubt.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

My neighbour and fellow perigrino for CF 2018 simply throws his backpack in the swimming pool for a few days and then hangs it out to dry...

Cannot vouch for his methods, but seems to work for him!

Would think that a hand wash in warm soapy water, several rinses in fresh water then hang out to dry should do - but I would wonder about any waterproofing that had been applied in the manufacturing process - manufacturers website might be informative...

I have enjoyed this thread - a new question! A rare occurence for me as I rather like the travel-worn look, but I generally use a scubbing brush and detergent liquid soapy water, then hose down and leave to hang dry - I only wipe the inside gently - and I always waterproof spray it afterwards.

Has anyone had theirs dry cleaned?

@Hilarious - I see you have now cleaned yours - what did you use, how did you do it and how did it turn out?

Hello!

I did thrown my backpack along my pants and some sport-shirts in the washing-program for outdoor-clothing (I think its a mix of wool and sensitive-programs on my washing-machine, more water and less agitation, 30°C) used liquid outdoor detergent and the pack (Meteor, I think it's the OEM for Decathlon) came out like new.

Hope that helps.

Buen Camino!
Roland

Hello!

I did thrown my backpack along my pants and some sport-shirts in the washing-program for outdoor-clothing (I think its a mix of wool and sensitive-programs on my washing-machine, more water and less agitation, 30°C) used liquid outdoor detergent and the pack (Meteor, I think it's the OEM for Decathlon) came out like new.

Hope that helps.

Buen Camino!
Roland
Gob bless the inventor of them. :)

Although no doubt some will think it utterly barbaric, I take mine to a self-serve car wash (pack brands: Osprey, Gregory, Deuter). I use the soap in the wand and rinse using the same wand (on low pressure setting) then hang out to dry in the sun.

When I first began caring for outdoors equipment, I bathed my gear as I would a newborn babe. Then, much like caring for a 2nd, 3rd, or additional child, I learned that most gear is resilient and to just employ the easiest/fastest way to clean.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.