• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washing clothes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For hand washing, will the Alberques have soap? If not, what should I bring?

Thanks, Jim

Hi and welcome here.
Take the time to browse through this wonderful forum. In the right uppercorner you have a searchfunction. You can type in " soap " and a list of other threads will appear.

I just took an all in one soap ( body, shampoo and clothes washing ).

Indeed I did not see that much albergues with handsoap.

Ultreia and happy prepping.!

Alburges generally don't have soap or towels as one would find in hotels. I just used a good quality shower gel in travel size. This did body hair (I don't have much) and clothes. If it's mild enough for hair I second it was mild enough for anything.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albergues do not have handsoap because it tends to be used for - clothes washing or the shower.
I have have seen a full hand soap dispenser (1,25 liters) been emptied in 2,5 hrs, one pilgrim even filled up his own bottle with it!
many mini markets on the way have midget bottles of shampoo or shower gel.

Last edited:
Take a tiny container of hair/hand wash gel with you.
Use it for all washing.
Rub it into your clothes, and take them into the shower with you for a good washing.
Remember - the swinging botafumeiro in SdC cathedral was allegedly used to take away the smell of the pilgrims!
Blessings, and happy walking .....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just buy an extra bar of soap first chance you get on the Camino. No type of specialty soap is necessary to wash your clothes. Just make sure when you hand wash them it's on days when it's sunny enough for them to dry. Otherwise they may still be damp the next morning.

Hi Ivan and welcome ,
I use an all in one soap . Works fine for me .

Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino ,Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For hand washing, will the Alberques have soap? If not, what should I bring?

Thanks, Jim
I'm carrying bar soap in a Shower Buddy, (theshowerbuddy.com). Plan on using it for all soap needs. When my existing bar gets small from bathing or washing clothes, I'll just purchase a new bar, add it to The Shower Buddy, and keep on going. No need to carry multiple soaps. One bar can do all.

I started with Dr Bronners but it made my hair feel funky so in Pamplona I purchased some shampoo and used it for everything. I put it in a ziplock just in case it dribbled. I’m planning on doing the same thing when I return on Easter -

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started with Dr Bronners but it made my hair feel funky so in Pamplona I purchased some shampoo and used it for everything. I put it in a ziplock just in case it dribbled. I’m planning on doing the same thing when I return on Easter -

That’s what I did. My all-in-one soap/shampoo/laundry product was disgusting so I ditched it. I used a tiny bottle of Johnson’s Baby Shampoo for everything, even my clothes. Worked fine.

I'm not sure where you'll be starting, but if it's in France, you should try and get hold of a block of savon de marseilles -- the real stuff, not imitation, nor the more industrial variety designed for home laundry use only.

Should look like this : http://david-kyriakidis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/savon-de-marseille.jpg ; and you should look for it at 2-4 EUR, not tourist prices

It's a combination laundry soap, skin soap, and shampoo all-in-one -- one soap will easily last for your whole Camino -- if you can find a lavender variety, which will be violet rather than green, that'd be great

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am a fan of Dr Bonners soap (almond) for body and laundry. It doesn't work well on my hair, so I had a shampoo bar from Lush that I used instead. My advice is whatever you pick, try it out at home and see how you like it if you want to use the same soap for hair or body. For laundry, pretty much any soap will do a decent job. And of course, you can buy soap along the way if you need to.

But yeah, don't count on alberques to have any of that stuff. If they do, then be pleasantly surprised. For 5-10 euro/night, everything at alberques is pretty much DIY.

I start out with a small block of soap cut off a larger block that I have dried out before leaving home. No point in carry any water that isn’t needed. It is in a mesh bag so I can dry it out each afternoon/evening. I use it for showering and clothes washing. I also carry a small amount of shampoo that I have dehydrated as have not as yet found any soap type product that works well on my hair. One pea sized ball of dehydrated shampoo instantly rehydrated in the palm of my hand works just fine. When my soap has been used there are lots of wonderful natural soaps available in Spain, especially in the small tiendas. I buy a bar, cut off what I need and leave the remainder for another pilgrim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since there usually are three of us, all of us with three t-shirts etc each, there's a lot of laundry every two days. I have found a washing powder in small envelopes (Biotex) that cleans everything just by soaking - because rubbing all those socks by hand gets boring quite fast. I just put everything in the largest sink/bucket I can find, swish the water and the washing powder around until it dissolves, and soak everything for a few minutes.

And then I call for my son, who has larger and stronger hands than mine, to help with the rinsing and wringing...

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back