• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washington DC area training hike on the C&O canal

flippinkittin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, verano 2017
Hi!

I will be going on my first camino in mid/late June. I will be doing an early June training hike on the C&O canal. I'm thinking 50 miles in 3 days. Want to join? I will be backpacking, and bringing a tent a jetboil.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love the C & O Canal, and used to bike hike along it as a teenager. It was so fun to camp along the Potomac River. Have a great training hike!

No canals here..I have to rough it through the likes of Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. Bear in mind they all range from 4000-9000 feet in elevation. Spring is coming to the higher elevations, but still some snow on the deck.

Hi!
I will be going on my first camino in mid/late June. I will be doing an early June training hike on the C&O canal. I'm thinking 50 miles in 3 days. Want to join? I will be backpacking, and bringing a tent a jetboil.
When training for our 2013 Camino, we did a lot of walking along the Highline Canal in Denver, which is very similar to the C&O Canal (at least the few portions of the C&O that I have walked). It was a good venue for walking typical daily Camino distances and getting accustomed to the weight of your backpack, especially on a multi-day hike like you're planning. Just remember, however, that the Camino is not flat and level like a tow path, so I'd also suggest that you get up into some of the hilly areas in northern Virginia to get some experience with longer distance walks which include elevation gain and loss of the scope you'll encounter on the Camino.
Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back