• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wasting water?

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Walked from Pamplona to Burgos May 20 - May 30. Hot days but cool mornings. In the afternoon arriving at a fountain was a great relief, the more so if the water was cool. Many of the fountains had a push button or similar device to activate the water flow. But...

Many fountains ran continuously. One in Navarette had four spigots running. Is this seemingly wasted water captured? Or?

Just wondering.

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked from Pamplona to Burgos May 20 - May 30. Hot days but cool mornings. In the afternoon arriving at a fountain was a great relief, the more so if the water was cool. Many of the fountains had a push button or similar device to activate the water flow. But...

Many fountains ran continuously. One in Navarette had four spigots running. Is this seemingly wasted water captured? Or?

Just wondering.

Tom
Good question, going back this August to trek the Frances again and I will try to find out unless someone here already knows. Seems like a waste doesn't it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have noticed similar wastage . The push button taps just need to be pulled out a little to stop the flow. They do get a lot of use and obviously need maintenance from time to time. I am and have been so grateful for them especially during the present heat wave . Many pilgrims I have seen have completely underestimated their water requirements.
I did see one pilgrim washing and soaking his feet under a continuous stream of water for over half an hour ,he refused to move while six or eight others tried to fill water bottles. All the while water was flooding the surrounds turning the dust into thick cloying mud.
A selfish act not acceptable anywhere let alone amongst people literally gagging for water.

Last edited:

Just wondering.

Tom
First you can pull the button out to stop water flowing. But even if you don't do it be sure that the water is redirected to irrigation canals which you can see throughout Castilla y Leon for example. Spanish people don't waste water just like that, that's why we can still drink it from the tap. Another example: in the village with water in every house but still those old ladies carrying water canisters from village fountain to their homes. Why??? It's simple :)

I'm very lucky to be able to drink water from taps and streams in my country and I really take my hat off to water distribution in Spain. I even found water from some fountains sweet. Yes, really ;)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We were horrified by the low level of many reservoirs we passed last month (May) as we drove past them in Asturias and into Leon. If you want to save water remember to turn off taps and especially when cleaning teeth. Wet the brush and turn off tap, then wet again, or part fill a glass to rinse. It is surprising how much runs to waste while you are cheerfully brushing.
Maybe others have some water saving tips too.

Thankfully the rain in the past few weeks will have helped, but Spain could still face a serious water shortage this year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've deleted some more posts that continued to be off topic from the OP. Please only post if you have further thoughts about water use on the Caminos.

Thank you for preventing "thread jacking" which metastasizes a legitimate topic into a political debate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Icacos, I am at Hospital de Orbigo this very evening . The bridge is truly lovely as you say.
A word of advice to those following . The way marker as you enter town directs you to a diversion right past the local sewage treatment plant . Believe me , it was 33 degrees today and not a pleasant experience.
The diversion is clearly erroneous, possibly manufactured to take you to a cafe that was closed anyway .
The area at this point is littered by literally tens of obliterated arrows in both directions some blacked out with paint others smudged beyond comprehension.
Go straight don't turn left , " Puente" is written on the road , follow this .
Frankly I believe there should be a special tier in he'll for those that interfere with way marks .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Frankly I believe there should be a special tier in he'll for those that interfere with way marks .
:D I remember that diversion very well. We turned left and had the longer walk for it, and it was not a day when we had surplus energy!

Oh, and there's an interesting church just to the right before you cross the bridge; we couldn't get inside tho' as it was closed. :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know what the water situation in Spain is, but when I crossed this lovely bridge on the way into Hospital de Órbigo, I couldn't help but think that at some point there must have been an awful lot more water running under it.View attachment 34477

I looked closely at the river during the evening , unfortunately I can't load the photos but I would estimate the flow at the moment to be one third of that in your excellent postcard quality shot :)
From the surrounding terrain it would seem that rather than just the river itself the bridge originally crossed a wide marsh , hence its extraordinary length

I looked closely at the river during the evening , unfortunately I can't load the photos but I would estimate the flow at the moment to be one third of that in your excellent postcard quality shot :)
From the surrounding terrain it would seem that rather than just the river itself the bridge originally crossed a wide marsh , hence its extraordinary length
Yes, I figured it might have been a marsh of some sort. As to the level of the water, my picture was taken around the third week of April.

Buen Camino :):)

Just wondering.

Tom
I hope my question isn't too off topic, but I've been told to only drink water from the fountains that have a legitimate spigot that can be turned on and off. Supposedly continuous running fountains should be avoided as they could potentially be contaminated by dead animals, etc further upstream. Anyone know if this is fact?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Just wondering.

Tom
There's an old spanish proverb: "Agua que no has de beber, déjala correr" (Liberal translation: "If you won´t drink the water, let it runs).

I do not drink from the fountains! Some fountains in various places in Europe have been found to be contaminated! These are, certainly in the minority. Are they regularly checked? IDK? Therefore I carrry sufficient bottled water or obtain water from a healthy household or establishment where the water is treated. Mainly I buy the bottles! It is also more sanitary IMO. TO each her/his own!

Most of the free-flowing fountains we encountered had a sign indicating that the water may not be potable. Some also in Galicia appeared to be available for watering livestock although we did see some people filling their water bottles at these. One hospitalerio who said he had completed the Camino many times advised us not to refill from the free-flowing fountains in Galicia because they were shared with livestock. We usually refilled at a fountain which indicated it was potable or asked for a refill at a bar when we stopped for a coffee, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Icacos, I am at Hospital de Orbigo this very evening . The bridge is truly lovely as you say.
A word of advice to those following . The way marker as you enter town directs you to a diversion right past the local sewage treatment plant . Believe me , it was 33 degrees today and not a pleasant experience.
The diversion is clearly erroneous, possibly manufactured to take you to a cafe that was closed anyway .
The area at this point is littered by literally tens of obliterated arrows in both directions some blacked out with paint others smudged beyond comprehension.

I'll never forget that day in May this year. It was the worst marked stage ofmthe whole Frances up to Hospital. I took wrong arrows x 3 times and reckon I added 5 k to my day which ended at casa verde albergues at 31 k. I literally fell in the door!! But the wonderful,people there made up for the lousy markings! I think some commercial places are now replicating yellow arrows to get people to go to their establishments. I think this should be stamped out quickly or it will affect the credibility of the whole system.

First you can pull the button out to stop water flowing. But even if you don't do it be sure that the water is redirected to irrigation canals which you can see throughout Castilla y Leon for example. Spanish people don't waste water just like that, that's why we can still drink it from the tap. Another example: in the village with water in every house but still those old ladies carrying water canisters from village fountain to their homes. Why??? It's simple :)

I'm very lucky to be able to drink water from taps and streams in my country and I really take my hat off to water distribution in Spain. I even found water from some fountains sweet. Yes, really ;)
The old ladies get the water from the springs for drinking as it is so natural and yes sweet.

I don't know what the water situation in Spain is, but when I crossed this lovely bridge on the way into Hospital de Órbigo, I couldn't help but think that at some point there must have been an awful lot more water running under it.View attachment 34477
The arches are necessary for when they have flash floods. I've seen one. Very scary. They don't happen often though.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.