• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Watch out for flasher on Central Portuguese

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

Way Wanderer

Time of past OR future Camino
I had a gross experience today: a man exposed and played with himself just south of Balugaes. That's north of Barcelos, a short way past the swimming hole that dozens of children were enjoying. He was almost at the end of that country lane, when the town road emerges. It was right before the Quinta da Cancela hotel, so knocked on their door and let them know. Luckily he didn't do anything else, but watch out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations.

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Portugal (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Last edited:
If you have the time and inclination a call to the local police to at least log the incident would be helpful.,

I hope you’re OK.
Or if you don't have time, perhaps ask the hotel to report it? That's ideally to the PSP, the town police, not to the GNR, the highway patrol.

I had a gross experience today: a man exposed and played with himself just south of Balugaes. That's north of Barcelos, a short way past the swimming hole that dozens of children were enjoying. He was almost at the end of that country lane, when the town road emerges. It was right before the Quinta da Cancela hotel, so knocked on their door and let them know. Luckily he didn't do anything else, but watch out.

Please please please report this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's such a pity to hear about these perverts on the Camino, or anywhere for that matter. Perhaps a modern-day network of Templar Knights might soon be required to protect the weary pilgrims.
First and foremost these events must be reported to the local police as soon as possible, otherwise the offender will continue to repeat his nastiness or worse still go the next step and assault someone.
Personally, I would approach them with my walking poles ready for action and make sure they don't have much left to wave about next time....sorry, but sometimes these people need to be taught a harsh lesson before they commit worse offences. Alternatively, a photo would help prosecute them, although the thought of getting their image in focus might be upsetting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I reported to the GNR of Barcelos (the district in charge of Balugaes) on the phone and it was easy. I do speak portuguese, so your mileage may vary, but they were very straightforward and took my statement. They didn't ask me for my contact info or even the exact location, so I'm not sure much will be done about it 🤷‍♀️

I reported to the GNR of Barcelos (the district in charge of Balugaes) on the phone and it was easy. I do speak portuguese, so your mileage may vary, but they were very straightforward and took my statement. They didn't ask me for my contact info or even the exact location, so I'm not sure much will be done about it 🤷‍♀️
And in hindsight, here is how I would have handled it. I would have gotten to safety and immediately called 112, which I didn't do because at the time I didn't feel threatened, but of course the sooner the better and it is obvious to me now that I should have for other pilgrims. For the record, I would never have taken his photo, as a solo traveler, and risk him coming after me to get my phone or worse.

As unwanted and offensive these occurrences are what would shock me more is if tomorrow/next week/next month another thread does not appear detailing another instance of this type of behaviour and containing all the previous advice and containing all the same discussion points.
I cannot help but feel that a very useful resource for female members (especially those who walk solo) would be a a forum map of each camino which is accessible "pinning" each and every reported instance which might pre-warn of areas susceptible to this kind of behaviour.
This will never stop these instances, I don't think anything ever will, but might be a useful resource.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

This has been going on for years. Same guy most likely. I never heard about him attacking anyone. He is harmless except from providing unwanted unpleasant experiences. I am surprised they didn't stop him yet.

For the record, I would never have taken his photo, as a solo traveler, and risk him coming after me to get my phone or worse.
Good point you make. He could either run away, or run at you...no predicting which it would be, although my guess is that the majority of these offenders are cowards.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.