• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Watch your step and walking pole placement

Lee Jackson

Remotelee
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Apr-may 2017 Portugues (2018) Norte (2018) Le Puy (2019) Celtic (2019) Frances (2019)
Watch your step!!!
My walking pole got stuck in between cobblestones and I went down hard with my arm meeting the curb.
Many people along the coastal route were have the same thing happen I watched a few almost fall. Tip of walking pole sticking between boards on boardwalk and between cobblestones.

This is my camino souvenir!
558D619B-BF0A-4BB9-A5F6-CC678D8E98D8.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Barby says, "Ouch!!!" 30 min of ice and 30 min of cold alternate as often as possible. So glad it was only soft tissue.

I have heard many complaints about poles from, "they are constantly, tap, tap, tapping all day long, getting stuck, sliding, all sorts of things. If I may, when I bought my sticks, they came with snow baskets and treaded rubber feet. For use on the Camino in May / June, the rubber feet are installed. Because of this, they are quiet, do not get stuck into anything and, a little bonus, they have been allowed through TSA every time, including Toronto, Montreal, Dublin, London, Paris and Santiago. Yes, I was allowed to walk them onto and off of every plane.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A timely and pertinent reminder Lee , one consolation is that bruises heal faster than breaks :)
Whilst walking through the Lerderderg Gorge near Melbourne some years ago I saw a horrendous injury caused by much the same circumstance . Walking along the dry river bed a bush walker's Carbon fibre pole stuck between two boulders , it snapped as it twisted under the walkers weight and subsequently impaled them as they fell onto the jagged stump . Fortunately the damage was limited to flesh rather than organs . I have used alloy poles ever since !

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back