• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water bladder troubles

Inbar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2015; Camino Portugues October 2017
Hi guys. I'd love to hear your tips about this.
I have this Osprey water bladder:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/performance_1/hydraulics_3_liter_reservoir

During my shorter (2-3 days) hiking trips and practice walks I've grown to hate it. It's not easy to empty, dry or clean, because of that plastic opening in the middle. I put it up to dry with paper towels inside after each use and it takes days.

I worry using it every day for almost 40 days, it would get bacteria from never getting a chance to dry properly. My boyfriend has a simple one that opens all the way at the bottom and I'm thinking of replacing mine and getting a similar one.

But maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any advice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first camino I had a water bladder but now I just use standard water bottles because they are so much easier to fill.
If you do want to clean it then try Milton sterilizing tablets (the stuff they use for baby bottles).

On my first camino I had a water bladder but now I just use standard water bottles because they are so much easier to fill.
If you do want to clean it then try Milton sterilizing tablets (the stuff they use for baby bottles).
Thanks Kanga. I do like water bladders in general, I feel like they distribute the weight very comfortably (being small and not too strong), and I like having water so accessible.

And this particular type is really great, other than how difficult it is to clean. I will look into those tablets. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I worry using it every day for almost 40 days, it would get bacteria from never getting a chance to dry properly. My boyfriend has a simple one that opens all the way at the bottom and I'm thinking of replacing mine and getting a similar one.
I use a bladder, and my pattern is to give it a rinse when I refill it in the morning, and an occasional wash with a mild detergent and hot water. If it isn't going to be used for a while, I will just let it air dry. On the camino, that won't be an issue.

We prefer bottles as they are easier for us to use and clean, but if you prefer a bladder this might be worth trying as a cleaning method.
We cleaned our water bottles with salt when our sterilizing tablets ran out. It might work with the bladder too. We used about half a teaspoonful of salt for 2lts of water. Fill the bottle/bladder and add the salt, shake to disolve the salt and leave for about 2 hours, pour out and rinse out. No nasty residues and can be repeated as often as needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have seen water bladders that suddenly joined the dark side. And I have seen the people who drank from them, looking and feeling very green around the gills.
I personally will never use one. They just don't seem hygienic to me, no matter what the ad copy says.

I have the Osprey 2.5L. It's been used continuously since May 30th.

The bladder itself is treated with a biocide and shows no sign of contamination.

The tubing requires an occasional scrub with a rope and properly sized knot to remove what looks like algae growing on the walls.

I use a bladder, and my pattern is to give it a rinse when I refill it in the morning, and an occasional wash with a mild detergent and hot water. If it isn't going to be used for a while, I will just let it air dry. On the camino, that won't be an issue.
Thanks Doug (and everyone else). Won't it being constantly wet cause a problem over 40 days? Seems like a problem. Anyhow I will rinse it and/or use tablets as others suggested.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Doug (and everyone else). Won't it being constantly wet cause a problem over 40 days? Seems like a problem. Anyhow I will rinse it and/or use tablets as others suggested.
I am not sure what you mean. Most of the time it is full of water anyway, and if you give it a good clean, including the tubing, before you leave, and rinse and wash it from time to time, I just don't see that there will be time for there to be a contamination problem. It's not like you would be leaving it for a long period of time filled with water but not using it. That would create a problem.

I am not sure what you mean. Most of the time it is full of water anyway, and if you give it a good clean, including the tubing, before you leave, and rinse and wash it from time to time, I just don't see that there will be time for there to be a contamination problem. It's not like you would be leaving it for a long period of time filled with water but not using it. That would create a problem.
I see. Thanks! :)

Look into the Smartube as an altermative. It's with a bottle but also the tube.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My only experience is a couple months of occasional use of a different brand on training walks, but with emptying it before refilling, and leaving it open to dry once or twice, I haven't noticed any problem. I only use tap water, not other solutions which probably require much greater care.

Water from a public, potable source might be chlorinated to protect the supply. I'd think that would also help protect our hydration systems.

I use an Osprey bladder without problems. I carry a very few Milton tablets and every few days leave it overnight filled with water and about quarter of a Milton tablet, let some run out through the bite valve first as that's a vulnerable area. In morning rinse well including tube and valve to remove taste; fill and go. Works for me.

I've used bladders for weeks and weeks on end over many years. I've always done it in hot climates so the insulated tube and wide mouth (to fill with ice at the servo at the morning) was my preference. The bags have never proved to be a contamination problem but the hoses do occasionally. I've never been sick from one but follow these precautions.

Never have anything but water in them.
Wash and rinse the bag, tube and mouthpiece every time you refill or daily. I used 3lt bags so no biggie.
Before you store, soak in the solution, drain and dry everything.

That's it for 12 years of trouble free water bladder usage across multiple brands. That being said, I'll be using water bottles just because I don't see a need for multi-litre carries and it is a bit of a hassle to fill with a full backpack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I prefer a simple water bottle on the Camino.
You are drinking from fountains and need to be able to clean it easily each night, imo.

I have seen water bladders that suddenly joined the dark side.
I doubt that any water bladder went 'suddenly' to the dark side. It takes months of dedicated neglect and wilful ignorance of any reasonable hygiene standard to achieve the necessary accumulation of detritus. I admire the dedication of those who can ignore any early signs of small dark areas on the inside of the tube to eventually achieve the Cajun cooking effect of a fully blackened drinking pipe.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'd love to hear your tips about this.
I have this Osprey water bladder:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/performance_1/hydraulics_3_liter_reservoir

During my shorter (2-3 days) hiking trips and practice walks I've grown to hate it. It's not easy to empty, dry or clean, because of that plastic opening in the middle. I put it up to dry with paper towels inside after each use and it takes days.

But maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any advice?
Have you ever used baking soda? It works wonders

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Carried a small bottle of grapefruit seed extract, added a bit to the rinse water. Takes care of a multitude of microbes and has a host of additional benefits.

I'm bringing dental cleaning tablets to clean my platypus reservoir. (1 per liter of water) I'm also bringing a small piece of Teflon, duct tape, and a large plastic bag in case of leaks.

I use this system with shop bought .75L water bottles. You can easily refill the water bottle or just buy another, just rinse the tube daily.
http://www.bluedesert-shop.com/#!product/prd1/2442136881/smartube®---drinking-system-for-water-bottles
I looked into those and the tube's claimed weight is 150gr. That is twice as heavy as it should be!!! A 3L Camelbak with bladder and hose/tube etc is 184gr. Has anyone found a lighter weight alternative to the heavy SmarTube brand??? (not a fan of bladder style for the camino, only looking for tube set up for spring of 2016 camino)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I find the bottles in which water is sold are perfect----light, tough, free, recyclable, and flexible enough to go into the pack without poking you. I only want a hose and bladder if I'm in a race or something.

I looked into those and the tube's claimed weight is 150gr. That is twice as heavy as it should be!!! A 3L Camelbak with bladder and hose/tube etc is 184gr. Has anyone found a lighter weight alternative to the heavy SmarTube brand??? (not a fan of bladder style for the camino, only looking for tube set up for spring of 2016 camino)
Hi GreatDane, I have just weighed my smartube and it comes in at 2.2 ozs or 62.36 grams. Hope this helps.

The specs on Amazon say the tube is 82 grams, but that may include all the adapters in the kit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like lots of the gadgets on others people's cars I coveted a water bladder and eventually bought one last year. AND like lots of these gadgets when I actually used it I found I much prefer bottles especially the ones you get free surrounding "supermercado agua."

Each to their own.

When I spotted "Bladder troubles" I thought this was going to be one of those 'gentlemen of a certain age' threads ;) - I now see that its more to do with adding to life's burdens by carrying a bag of water on your back. A couple of 'Houlets' suit me. And I can refill them easily without un-packing; and re-cycle them when they go 'green'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I spotted "Bladder troubles" I thought this was going to be one of those 'gentlemen of a certain age' threads ;) - I now see that its more to do with adding to life's burdens by carrying a bag of water on your back. A couple of 'Houlets' suit me. And I can refill them easily without un-packing; and re-cycle them when they go 'green'.
I must say the same thought crossed my mind when I saw the title and it made me smile, being a gentleman of that certain age. :)

I much prefer bottles especially the ones you get free surrounding "supermercado agua."
Ah, yes, bottled water. The most expensive way to get water with no guarantee that it is any better that what you will get out of the tap in many countries. No wonder the container is 'free';).

You only have to buy it once and refill the bottle for the rest of the trip though.

€60,-
You only have to buy it once and refill the bottle for the rest of the trip though.
Really! I never thought of that!

I must admit that I hear what people say about refilling, but treat the claims with some scepticism. I saw many more disposable bottle users dispose of them than refill them, although that might have been an observational bias. The only time I recall seeing someone attempt to refill a disposable bottle, it was at a font that wasn't working at the time. Every other time I was walking with someone using a disposable bottle, they bought water rather than refilling the bottle.

Further, I never saw anyone cleaning a disposable bottle anywhere I stayed. So I suspect if there were people refilling, they weren't treating the hygiene issues any more seriously than most bladder users.

Trying to start an argument from nothing does not mean you are right - Doug.

As I said in my original post :-"Each to their own."

These weights are ridiculous, thevSmartub e weighs next to nothing. I could get mine out of the basement to weigh it but I will guesst it weighs an ounce at most, including one adapter and clip. I am wondering if the quotedvweight is not for the box, tube and 3 adapters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, yes, bottled water. The most expensive way to get water with no guarantee that it is any better that what you will get out of the tap in many countries. No wonder the container is 'free';).
Evian spelled backward is "naive." ;);)

Well, changing the subject a bit (back to original, sort of), I recently bought an Osprey bladder and I love it, but more on that later ;) . My question is, how do you dry it out between uses? The front and back close in together as part of the whole vacuum system and I can't find a way to keep them apart so that the inside gets good and dry.

I had no intention of buying a bladder and had planned to find one of the tube systems described in this thread. But out of curiosity, I asked about the bladder in our local trail store and, wouldn't you know, the salesperson used to regional rep for Osprey. Hahaha, good sales job, but first time out I loved it and have every time since. I drink a lot of water while hiking and getting my bottles out of and back into the mesh holders is very awkward for me. Now I can just sip, sip, sip whenever I want and don't end up dehydrated because I'm too lazy to stop and fiddle around trying to get at my bottles. Plus, I like the weight distribution much better than two bottles in mesh and a few others in the pack.

Well, just my 2 cents. o_O Any suggestions on drying it out greatly appreciated!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sounds like a good method. Osprey may (should) have something similar. If not I'll try to rig something up on my own. Not something I ever had to think about until a week or so ago.

@Bala, I find sticking the hose inside the bladder works for my Source bladder. The newer ones have a detachable hose, which makes it easier, and when I empty it, I put the bar that seals the bladder and hose inside.

@Bala, I find sticking the hose inside the bladder works for my Source bladder. The newer ones have a detachable hose, which makes it easier, and when I empty it, I put the bar that seals the bladder and hose inside.

I've been trying that, Dougfitz, and it sort of helps. But the Osprey is divided into 3 sections, to distribute the water more evenly, I guess. So I never get the whole thing dry. Time to revisit my salesman!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/source-reservoirs/130-wxp-low-profile-hydration-system.html
I had the 3l version of this on the VDLP and it was starting to spring a leak at the point where the hose joins onto the bag by the time I got to Caceres which was 300 km. By Salamanca I was putting it into a plastic bag, packing it upright in my backpack etc. I think I finally got rid of it at Vilar de Barrio and just bought water bottles putting a big one inside my pack and using smaller sizes in the front pockets of my Aarnpack. Biggest equipment failure that I had. However, you do need to carry a lot of water through Extremadura especially in summer and maybe the smaller 2 litre bladder might work better. I would probably buy 2 smaller ones because apart from the leak I liked the system as I could drink while using poles.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.