• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water bottle adapter

MikeyC

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
Just browsing the hiking section in our local Decathlon when I came across this drinking tube kit. It probably only fits their own bottles but they do come in different capacities.20191009_180602.jpg

Attachments

• 20191009_180538.jpg
    20191009_180538.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use Camelbak Eddy bottle with Camelbak Hand-free adapter. I also carry a spare Eddy bottle, then swap when the hands-free bottle is empty.

The bottle is easier to clean then the plastic bag.

-Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just browsing the hiking section in our local Decathlon when I came across this drinking tube kit. It probably only fits their own bottles but they do come in different capacities.View attachment 65620

I would bet that the lid will match other wide mouth bottles, too. I bet it was a pretty inexpensive item to purchase.

Also, magnetic clip tube holders, like the one linked below (there are any number of models), work quite well in managing a flopping drinking tube :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just browsing the hiking section in our local Decathlon when I came across this drinking tube kit. It probably only fits their own bottles but they do come in different capacities.View attachment 65620
Oh excellent - I have the Quecha 100 Tritan bottle (very rugged) and none of my SmarTube caps fit it. Thanks for the tip!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would bet that the lid will match other wide mouth bottles, too. I bet it was a pretty inexpensive item to purchase.

Also, magnetic clip tube holders, like the one linked below (there are any number of models), work quite well in managing a flopping drinking tube :)

It's an odd sized bottle neck - 35mm internal diameter 39mm external diameter and 44mm over the thickness of the threads. Doesn't match any of the SmarTube caps I've got. The bottles (made in Portugal) are very strong and incredibly cheap even for Decathlon. I've the 0.8l plastic one - about 27 fl.oz.

I bought the bluedesert SmarTube (or the predecessor). I like the idea of using 'any' standard 0,5ltr-bottle with the drinking system and would buy it again.
But... at the beginning the water tasted like plastic when I used the drinking system. So I was happy that I bought it months before my camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Drinking tubes are available for standard water bottles and come with two size adaptors, they are readily available online on ebay and other sites. These are what I use all the time.

Have to say as. Someone who has used a bldder and bottles , i hate the badder whatever i do i cant get rid of the plastic taste lemon juice freezing sterilising ive tried it all . Any suggestions ? I always default to cycling bottles .

Have to say as. Someone who has used a bldder and bottles , i hate the badder whatever i do i cant get rid of the plastic taste lemon juice freezing sterilising ive tried it all . Any suggestions ? I always default to cycling bottles .
I think that it depends on the manufacturer/quality of the bladder. I have one from Source, and I've never had a plastic taste from it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I agree with trecile. There are a lot of water reservoir manufacturers and brands, and the materials that are used are NOT the same in either quality or durability. If you are really interested, send me a PM and I can provide some recommendations for you to consider.

I bought the bluedesert SmarTube (or the predecessor). I like the idea of using 'any' standard 0,5ltr-bottle with the drinking system and would buy it again.

Like several others above...I have been using the Bluedesert SmarTube since about 2016..It comes with several caps to be used with various bottle sizes. I have used them all and never have a problem fitting a bottle on the Camino.
One distinct advantage is the ability to use it with a bottle in my small day pack when not on the camino.

Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.
I clean my water bladder when I come home from the Camino. I always use plain water in it, and have never had a problem, even after continuously using it for over 6 weeks. The key is that I was continuously using it and refilling with fresh water.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use Camelbak Eddy bottle with Camelbak Hand-free adapter. I also carry a spare Eddy bottle, then swap when the hands-free bottle is empty.

The bottle is easier to clean then the plastic bag.

-Paul
I did the same thing. Camelbak bottles, removed sippers, attached Camelbak hose. Switched bottles when empty.

A lot of folks have been told the similar things. . . that bottles are more sanitary and easier to clean. The information gets handed down as a type of common knowledge, and is taken for granted.

The choice of what containers are used to carry water is a personal preference based on any number of criteria. For users to be able to consider all options, safety concerns or usability concerns based on myth and incorrect information need to be accurate. Below is some information for consideration that I had written and posted before.
---------------------------------------
Full disclosure. . . After using any number of water carrying systems and container, my personal preference Platypus Big Zip hydration reservoirs.

This post is written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am doing this to preempt those who mistakenly claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go based on THEIR personal preferences.

In other words, a personal choice cannot be reasonably argued with, or disputed. But if incorrect facts are used to make such choices, then those things which are not correct can reasonably be discussed or addressed.

1. Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through use that keeps things fresh. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc) are put into either storage container.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and not properly washed out prior to long term storage..

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 ounces. The equivalent in bottles is around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration, for me, with overall backpack weight.

The other issue is capacity and weight.

No, one does not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. So regardless of container used, water weight is related to the individual's decision about how much to carry, and NOT on a container's capacity.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water. :)

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones. :)

I think you were the Information Superhighway that Al Gore once spoke of.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A lot of folks have been told the similar things. . . that bottles are more sanitary and easier to clean. The information gets handed down as a type of common knowledge, and is taken for granted.

The choice of what containers are used to carry water is a personal preference based on any number of criteria. For users to be able to consider all options, safety concerns or usability concerns based on myth and incorrect information need to be accurate. Below is some information for consideration that I had written and posted before.
---------------------------------------
Full disclosure. . . After using any number of water carrying systems and container, my personal preference Platypus Big Zip hydration reservoirs.

This post is written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am doing this to preempt those who mistakenly claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go based on THEIR personal preferences.

In other words, a personal choice cannot be reasonably argued with, or disputed. But if incorrect facts are used to make such choices, then those things which are not correct can reasonably be discussed or addressed.

1. Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through use that keeps things fresh. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc) are put into either storage container.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and not properly washed out prior to long term storage..

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 ounces. The equivalent in bottles is around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration, for me, with overall backpack weight.

The other issue is capacity and weight.

No, one does not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. So regardless of container used, water weight is related to the individual's decision about how much to carry, and NOT on a container's capacity.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water. :)

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones. :)

As ever DaveBugg the voice of reason and factual information. Brilliant report, I find your information to be extremely useful, thank you.

I think that it depends on the manufacturer/quality of the bladder. I have one from Source, and I've never had a plastic taste from it.

Nice, but fifty squid is a bit steep (for me)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you everyone, very informative. I was wondering where I could find something like that, so this is most helpful.

I used one like this and loved it. Keep it rinsed everyday. It can grow bacteria quickly. Mine was a little different.

I used this on my last Camino. If fits on the bottle and has adapter fo different sizes of the bottleneck.1606436496-1431343102.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.