• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water bottle holder for backpack straps

Sikpupi

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis '2018'
Hi all... first time poster here?

I have a Lowe alpine 35 litre backpack that doesn't have side netting for holding water bottles. Yes strange... never coped that when buying it!!

So ... where would I get some attachments that could go on the front straps to hold a water bottle?? Or what other options should I look at ???

Many thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go for the option of the bottles on the front. There are so many water fountains on the Frances route that it is far easier to top up the bottles rather than a camelback. Also you can see readily how much water you have left, which you can't with the camelback. I got my holders from 'Raidlight', when they've not got a bottle in they are great for carrying bananas and other snacks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all... first time poster here?

I have a Lowe alpine 35 litre backpack that doesn't have side netting for holding water bottles. Yes strange... never coped that when buying it!!

So ... where would I get some attachments that could go on the front straps to hold a water bottle?? Or what other options should I look at ???

Many thanks

I made mine and they worked fabulously. I used bicycle bottles, because they have the neck. You buy stretchy cord and cordlocks, use a safety pin to keep the loops the right place on the shoulder straps (when they are not in use). Easy to remove and replace the bottles and, even full of water, you can't feel them there at all (I could carry two, one on each side, if I needed to). As an aside, my high school boyfriend (and still good friend) founded Osprey packs and designs them all. I have been pestering him to add something like this. However he never follows my advice.

Attachments

• water bottle carrier.JPG
    water bottle carrier.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 175
Hello:

I used a pair of these “Molle Water Military Pouch Bottle Pouchs”:

https://www.gearbest.com/waistpacks/pp_384674.html?wid=21

They hold a one-litre Nalgene narrow-mouth screw-top bottle satisfactorily and can be zipped closed to keep sunlight out of the water.

It is mass-market stuff. The quality was “acceptable”. They survived my cross-Spain CF pilgrimage last year but due to wear and tear they now need to be retired and replaced.

I attached the above-noted bottle holders to the shoulder straps of my pack, fairly high.

In my experience the prices on Gearbest vary a lot depending upon the ship-from warehouse (usually you can select from their several ship-from locations), and also upon e.g. the color of the textile item.

Aqua clips! Can hang on the front, side, or back of your packs - wife LOVES hers. (There was a reason thread wth dozens of responses to this same question, so you may want to look there too...). Only $3!

Www.aquaclip.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made mine and they worked fabulously. I used bicycle bottles, because they have the neck. You buy stretchy cord and cordlocks, use a safety pin to keep the loops the right place on the shoulder straps (when they are not in use). Easy to remove and replace the bottles and, even full of water, you can't feel them there at all (I could carry two, one on each side, if I needed to). As an aside, my high school boyfriend (and still good friend) founded Osprey packs and designs them all. I have been pestering him to add something like this. However he never follows my advice.
My ULA pack comes with the water bottle holders standard. You can also purchase a seperate shoulder strap zippered pouch.

Tell him again. My husband and I both have the Osprey 36 Sirius and Stratos and we are trying to jimmy something like your design. He did it sideways yesterday from the hip belt but is going back to the drawing board. We also use bycicle bottles (Polar). We leave 6 weeks from yesterday.

Tell him again. My husband and I both have the Osprey 36 Sirius and Stratos and we are trying to jimmy something like your design. He did it sideways yesterday from the hip belt but is going back to the drawing board. We also use bycicle bottles (Polar). We leave 6 weeks from yesterday.

Nama, I also have the Sirrus. This is an easy thing to rig and works so well you can't believe it. PM me if you need help. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is how the cords attach to the shoulder straps. The safety pin just holds the lower cord in place when it's not in use (so it won't slip down). The weight of the bottle is held with the top cord through the webbing loop on the shoulder strap.water bottle holder.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have always carried my two 700ml Smartwater bottles with attached flip tops in my Osprey mesh side pouches, but I've always walked with a family member who retrieved them for me.

This year I am walking with two Camino friends, but want to be totally self sufficient. My preference is a waistpack for all my valuables, so I looked on Amazon for several hours and came up with this one which holds an optional water bottle. It just arrived in the mail and I love it. The compartments are perfectly sized for my large phone, reading glasses, credential, passport, cash, etc etc.
Screenshot_2018-04-18-19-39-42.jpg

I might add that although bottles attached to backpack straps or clipped to the waist belt seem convenient, I'm not interested in doing that as I take my pack off for a variety of reasons during the day...peeing outdoors (being a female), propping it up against a bar/cafe wall, floor of albergue, etc. I envision them awkward or floppy depending on where they are attached to the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As an FYI to any newbie..... if you cannot reach your water bottle from your pack, don't use that pack. You do not want it hanging off or out of reach. Your water is your life.... find a pack that has either a platypus bladder (inner water bottle ) or compartments, netting, on the side in easy reach. If not, DO NOT get that pack, it's probably too heavy anyway and EVERY centimeter counts!

I might add that although bottles attached to backpack straps or clipped to the waist belt seem convenient, I'm not interested in doing that as I take my pack off for a variety of reasons during the day...peeing outdoors (being a female), propping it up against a bar/cafe wall, floor of albergue, etc. I envision them awkward or floppy depending on where they are attached to the pack.

With my water bottles on the shoulder straps, it is just as easy to take off and put on the pack as it is without them there. They are secure and, I know it's hard to believe, but you can hardly feel them there.

Re. the fanny pack, does it go in the front or below your packet in back? I can't picture it.

Ospreys are set up for an internal water bladder but I don't like that system.

Last edited:
With my water bottles on the shoulder straps, it is just as easy to take off and put on the pack as it is without them there. They are secure and, I know it's hard to believe, but you can hardly feel them there.

Remember the fanny pack, does it go in the front or below your packet in back? I can't picture it.

Ospreys are set up for an internal water bladder but I don't like that system.
Can you tell me the brand of strap water bottle holders you use? I'd at least take a look at them.
I use a waist pack in the front. It is very convenient to have easy access to sunglasses, reading glasses, cash, credential, passport, meds, etc etc. I just purchased one that holds one water bottle on the side.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can you tell me the brand of strap water bottle holders you use? I'd at least take a look at them.
I use a waist pack in the front. It is very convenient to have easy access to sunglasses, reading glasses, cash, credential, passport, meds, etc etc. I just purchased one that holds one water bottle on the side.

I make my own. Very simple design and I can't think of any way to improve it. Stretch cord and cordlocs. I described it elsewhere, but here are some pics (you can also see one of them in my profile pic). I have them on both straps.

Attachments

• water bottle carrier.JPG
    water bottle carrier.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
  • water bottle holder.jpg
    water bottle holder.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 38
Jill, I do remember now seeing your photos a few days ago. Thanks for resending them. I have the same Osprey straps as you. Maybe I'll give the stretch bungees a try. You already have a convert with Robo, so it must be a good option!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.