• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water Bottles on Shoulder Strap/Hipbelt?

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
So I've become intrigued by the idea of (if possible) carrying my water bottles on the shoulder straps or Hipbelt of my pack. The goal here is better weight distribution of the stuff that I'm carrying as well as easier access.

Since there seems to be a lot of clever people in this group I suspect that someone else has already discovered/devised a way to accomplish this. If so, how did you do it?

Thanks for any insights.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Aarn packs that Kanga mentions are one way of solving the problem - though their packs are difficult to buy outside NZ/Aus and are pretty expensive - alternatively you could use a day pack and separate hip pack for the water - see for example, inov-8
It also depends on how much water you need to carry - lots of people on the CF seem to get by with no more than 1L
For me, ease of access is not a consideration - at the very hottest times, I'm happy to have a brief pause every 30-45 mins to drink, bite some of my energy bar and see how my feet are feeling
I'd prefer to reduce my pack weight first rather than do anything that might affect my natural walking style

Neither is my advice.....if you are getting thirsty it's to late... small sips right from a 1,5 ltr drinking bag inside your rucksack. You will allways have water at hand by hose connected over shoulder strap. Easypeasy....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd heard that same assertion -- that if you are thirsty it's already too late. That never did make sense to me, since I do not drink a lot of water and drink when I get thirsty. I assumed that thirst was the body's way of telling me to drink. Why would our bodies have a thirst signal to tell us it's too late to drink? I'm not a physician, but several doctors in this article express that opinion -- one says that when thirst begins your water deficit is trivial, about 1%. The other attributes the myth to the bottled water industry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/dehydration-myths_n_3498380.html

I use, and have written about a stainless steel (inox) clip that fastens to the neck of any half-liter bottle. Here are some of my earlier posts:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ter-bottles-and-the-camino.39467/#post-395992

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/water-bottle-holders.37216/#post-358315

However, I can no longer find the Nite Ize "Clip-n-Sip" clips online. Try to find them locally, while they last.

Also, see these forum threads:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/guidance-on-water-to-carry.31503/#post-275747

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/water-bottles-or-water-bladders.38645/#post-384724

In general, I prefer attaching two to four .5 liter water bottles to the front of my rucksack harness or waist belt at the front to shift weight and balance forward, to make the bottles accessible without removing my rucksack, and to use the side pockets for other items, like my poncho and snacks.

If you can obtain them, the Aarn front "balance pouches" are ideal. The New Zealand produced Aarn Balance Packs are likely the state-of-the art for Camino rucksacks.

Everyone has their preferred rucksack solution, and the Aarn packs are hard to find and very expensive. But, IMHO they have the smartest method for distributing overall carried weight to balance the load. In turn, this reduces wear and tear on you. Every time I see someone with an Aarn rucksack and these balance pockets I talk to them. Every person has raved about this design.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I never thought or planned too much about how I carried my water on the Camino. My pack had two pouches for water bottles (one on each side, lower portion), so I simply bought two bottles of water in SJPdP, and reused them all the way to Santiago. When I was thirsty I'd grab the bottle from my pack and drink from it and then refill at fountains, cafes. etc. I then threw away the bottles in Santiago.
Amusing how the carrying and consumption of water along the Camino can become such a complicated issue. Like asking an abstract artist to draw a circle or a straight line....:D

I use the mesh side pockets on my pack and alternate between bottles to keep the pack reasonably well balanced. If I want to drink then it makes sense to stop, give myself a brief rest from my pack and then walk on. I don't get on with sipping drops of water, water bladders etc. The bottles themselves are lightweight metal type and refilled as needed. The bladder pouch then makes a great place to keep paperwork, including my credencial. This is held at the top by putting it in a zip seal type food bag and turning the top of the bag over the elastic on the pouch.

I'd heard that same assertion -- that if you are thirsty it's already too late. That never did make sense to me, since I do not drink a lot of water and drink when I get thirsty.
Saying that "if you are hungry, it's too late" would be similarly logical!

Obviously the dangers of severe dehydration are such that it is important to carry enough water, and perhaps a bit more.

I have no objection to anyone drinking as much water as they want, including the constant sipping if they like. However the popular opinion that this is necessary for your health is simply not supported by evidence.

So I've become intrigued by the idea of (if possible) carrying my water bottles on the shoulder straps or Hipbelt of my pack. The goal here is better weight distribution of the stuff that I'm carrying as well as easier access.

Since there seems to be a lot of clever people in this group I suspect that someone else has already discovered/devised a way to accomplish this. If so, how did you do it?

Thanks for any insights.

I use a 750 ml Camelbak water bottle with a plastic loop on the top. The bottle is attached to a carbiner hook that attaches to the the loop on one of the shoulder straps. The bottle has a straw so all you do is lower your head to suck on the straw. I have an elastic at the bottom of the bottle to hold it to the lower part of the shoulder strap to keep the bottle from swinging when you walk. This has served me well during 4 Caminos.

On my Camino, I used a 750ml Camelbak Chute carried on my right shoulder strap with a Mil Spec Monkey Water Bottle Corset using 2 malice clips and an adapter that I had created several years before.
However, I discovered while walking that in addition I needed to create a method to prevent the weight of the water from lowering my sternum strap on my right side, while the left stayed at the original height. I created an emergency solution while on the Camino after a store owner donated the necessary material. I have upgraded the solution since I came home. The corset can be adjusted to many various sized water bottles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should add that I got the original idea from magwood. However, the Raidlight carriers did not work with the curvature of my shoulder straps.

Smart Tube comes with different bottle lids and is good for pack side pockets.
Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i carried a bladder but never used it..2 1 liter bottles in my packs side holders worked great..many fountains in the first 3/4 of the camino...see a fountain drink a whole liter then fill it up...repeat all day.. till you find your hostel

My rucksack has mesh pockets for holding bottles etc, but whilst I can take a bottle out without taking my pack off, I can't put it back in again. If I had to take my pack off every time I has a drink, I know I would not drink enough. So my solution was to use a bottle holder that came with a shoulder strap, that I bought from Decathlon (can't see it on their website now). I removed the shoulder strap and used the loop on its side which I slipped over the belt strap of my pack. It worked better with a stubby 500 ml bottle that I brought from home, the ones from Spain tend to tip too much. I carried another 500ml bottle in the mesh pocket, and topped up when I did stop, or if my front bottle was empty.

A bladder inside your backpack will not let you know when you're about to go empty. On my backpack I have one slide pocket on each side, bottom, which each holds a 0.5L bottle that I can reach without stopping walking if I need to drink. Well enough for the CF. Maybe not so for other caminos.

That being said: I fully respect the advice of always carrying enough water with you, so that's what I do: I carry it for emergency. And stop at bars for a cold and refreshing beer.

Edit: I have seen many walkers with water bottles swinging from their hip belts/straps in various positions on their backpacks: It must be very irritating/annoying while walking?

Last edited:
Because of a bad back I would prefer a Camelback so that the weight would be centered. Reality is that my backpack is filled to the brim, and then some, so pulling out the bladder for a refil is a pain. Actually, teying to put the bladder back in isa nightmare.

So last two walks I used a Smatube and really enjoyed having it.

Because of a bad back I would prefer a Camelback so that the weight would be centered. Reality is that my backpack is filled to the brim, and then some, so pulling out the bladder for a refil is a pain. Actually, teying to put the bladder back in isa nightmare.

So last two walks I used a Smatube and really enjoyed having it.

Thanks for any insights.
I carried water on hip and shoulder strap on my last 2 trips. Worked really well. I bought velcroed bottle holders from amazon. Had 2 x 600 MLS systema lightweight bottles. Didn't even notice them. Very practical. I would drink just under a litre prior to setting off in am and refill during day.20160909_083310.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks for any insights.

I purchased a Camelbak Eddy hands free water bottle adapter which can be attached to any Camelbak Eddy, Groove, Better Bottle or Performance bottle. I suppose it is similar to the SmarTube but limited to Camelbak bottles. You basically remove the bottle's mouthpiece and attach the tube. See below. It sells for $9.99 or so and can be purchased from Camelbak's website or other sources online. I have been happy with it and plan to use it on my Camino in May.

upload_2016-2-28_21-5-33-jpeg.24274

WOW! What a lot of great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing everyone.

I've heard really good things about the Aarn backpacks. At this point in time they don't appear to be available in the US. It looks like a few of you have devised your own equivalent by wearing a fanny/waist pack with the pack part in front instead of the back.

WOW! What a lot of great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing everyone.

I've heard really good things about the Aarn backpacks. At this point in time they don't appear to be available in the US. It looks like a few of you have devised your own equivalent by wearing a fanny/waist pack with the pack part in front instead of the back.
I had the liquid agility 30 ltr aarn with 2 compact front pockets and my water bottles in the mesh bag in front of the front pockets. I felt like a soldier with hand granades. At the time I had frozen shoulders and had a lot of shoulder and upper back pain. The Aarn was not comfortable for me, but I had real body issues.
Personally I find the Deuter Groeden with added hip and shoulder watercarrier a lot more comfortable and roomy and due to the many pockets very practical for organising packing in categories. I am 161 cm female with shortish back. Weight around 66 kg. The Groeden weighs around 1 kg. Great pack.

I carried two one-quart Vapur collapsible water bottles in the side pouches of my Osprey pack. Most days I only filled one of the bottles, rolling the other one up for easy storage. When I came upon the free wine spigot, one of the bottles carried wine. Eventually I got good at removing the water bottle without taking off my pack, but most times I would take the pack off to take a bit of a break. The Vapur bottles have an integrated carabiner in case you want to attach it to something else.

While this is not the setup I used on the Camino, it shows what is possible. When I was walking the Camino, I had a camera bag on the left shoulder strap.

Attachments

• tmp_22472-20170117_131847_resized-64926968.jpg
    tmp_22472-20170117_131847_resized-64926968.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 90
I use the mesh side pockets on my pack and alternate between bottles to keep the pack reasonably well balanced. If I want to drink then it makes sense to stop, give myself a brief rest from my pack and then walk on. I don't get on with sipping drops of water, water bladders etc. The bottles themselves are lightweight metal type and refilled as needed. The bladder pouch then makes a great place to keep paperwork, including my credencial. This is held at the top by putting it in a zip seal type food bag and turning the top of the bag over the elastic on the pouch.
Use the one on the left first as it gets warmer quicker.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks for any insights.
I "ALWAYS" hike with a hydration pouch, but for the Camino, wore a water bottle on a strap around my neck. It was the right choice for me - easily accessible like a hydration pouch tube, but easily refillable. It's a really personal choice - you need to do what works for you.

I'd heard that same assertion -- that if you are thirsty it's already too late. That never did make sense to me, since I do not drink a lot of water and drink when I get thirsty. I assumed that thirst was the body's way of telling me to drink. Why would our bodies have a thirst signal to tell us it's too late to drink? I'm not a physician, but several doctors in this article express that opinion -- one says that when thirst begins your water deficit is trivial, about 1%. The other attributes the myth to the bottled water industry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/dehydration-myths_n_3498380.html
Level of hydration, trivial or not, is ALLWAYS a concern for all of us.

The twofold experience I have, is that muscles, lingaments, joints, internal organs and of course brain function, is all affected to some degree by level of hydration. Level of impact is different from person to person I guess.

My point, which I feel is a important one, is that majority of walkers on a camino, is out of their physical "comfort zone". Not for hours, not for days, but for weeks....

I guarantee that the best restitution after a days effort is based on a stable level of hydration. So we all benefit by maybe drink more often than usual, just to do our best, and to cope.

(I take a sip whenever I think of water, thirsty or not. Especially in warmer weather.)

Everyone writing on this thread has valid reasoning which makes sence and I think the expressed individual experience is just that, individual....

Go for it!

On my 2015 walk from Porto to Santiago, I experienced three "dirt naps" in 5 days. These were momentary synapse, or fainting episodes that literally brought me to me knees.

My doctors later figured out that it was dehydration due to stupidity...mine. As a result, starting with my 2016 Camino from Madrid, on any day I am walking, I force-hydrate whether I am thirsty or not.

My hydration plan is not less than .5 liters each hour. Every third hour I replace straight water with an electrolyte replacement solution. I use both Camelbak and Nuun flavored tablets for this. The tablets are light enough to provide one tablet per day. Crack it in half to get it through the bottle neck.

To complicate matters further, every fourth hour, or typically once daily while walking, the water drink is supplemented with a flavored powdered protein. Because I have a bariatric lap-band, I must ingest protein every four hours.

I use this method: plain, plain electrolyte, protein-solution, plain, electrolyte; because the second electrolyte schedule falls at the end of the typical six-hour walking day, for me. By that time, I have sourced bananas, oranges or other natural electrolyte replacements.

It works for me.;)

Yep, that simple tube that connects to any old water bottle is the way to go. I started a thread called "How did you carry your water?" on this forum before my Camino last Fall. My pack has side pockets that I can't reach while I'm walking and I just couldn't wrap my brain around a logical way to access them. The responses were numerous and helpful but the answer (for me) was so simple. This tube screwed into any water bottle that I tossed into the pockets and then I clipped it to my front pack straps for access all day. It was SO easy.

Thanks for any insights.
Where ever you can reach it NOW! Remember it isn't full for very long.

Mammut have an Add on Water Carrier which will fit on the waist strap or the shoulder strap.Adjustable to take most bottle sizes.It will slide along the waist strap easily so you can remove the bottle without taking off the pack,then push it back out of the way.The lower you have them on your pack the better.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While this is not the setup I used on the Camino, it shows what is possible. When I was walking the Camino, I had a camera bag on the left shoulder strap.
Very nice! Where did you get these? Did you make them? Thank you. Ed

This is exactly what I have in mind. Do you know what brand they are? Thanks for sharing.

For those who are interested in my carriers, Google "Mil Spec Monkey Water Bottle Corset". There are multiple vendors on the web, and they should cost $25 US each. There is also a video on Youtube. The corset will allow you to use multiple sized water bottles because of the adjustment capabilities. However, you are going to need to use your ingenuity on how you wish to attach them to your shoulder straps. You can use plain velcro, or you can be more inventive.

For those who are interested in my carriers, Google "Mil Spec Monkey Water Bottle Corset". There are multiple vendors on the web, and they should cost $25 US each. There is also a video on Youtube. The corset will allow you to use multiple sized water bottles because of the adjustment capabilities. However, you are going to need to use your ingenuity on how you wish to attach them to your shoulder straps. You can use plain velcro, or you can be more inventive.
For those who have never dealt with PALS webbing and malice clips, you can adjust the size of the loop to make it smaller, so that it will fit on a belt (or velcro, etc.) without moving vertically up and down by sliding the malice clip behind the webbing on corset closer to where it bends. Then slide it down until locks. A flat head screwdriver will unlock it.

For those who have never dealt with PALS webbing and malice clips, you can adjust the size of the loop to make it smaller, so that it will fit on a belt (or velcro, etc.) without moving vertically up and down by sliding the malice clip behind the webbing on corset closer to where it bends. Then slide it down until locks. A flat head screwdriver will unlock it.
After writing the above I realized I probably confused most of those interested. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so I am attaching a photo to show the end result of what I stated.

Attachments

• tmp_3502-20170122_112355_resized34370237.jpg
    tmp_3502-20170122_112355_resized34370237.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 62
I use raidlight bottles on my shoulder straps. With a bite valve, all I need to do is turn my head to take a drink.
View attachment 31249
Since I seem to be taking photos, I thought that those who were interested in Raidlight would like to see a closer photo of the carriers that were shipped as of last year.

Attachments

• tmp_3502-20170122_114458_resized992218395.jpg
    tmp_3502-20170122_114458_resized992218395.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 47
  • tmp_3502-20170122_114649_resized-936559613.jpg
    tmp_3502-20170122_114649_resized-936559613.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Spain April May (173).JPG I like a bladder but you'll see some of my kids prefer bottles (and loaves of bread!)

I loved having a 3L water camel pack in my backpack (never filled more than 2L). So convenient! But it was heavy and I walked partially in the wintery months, so I bought a fanny-pack with a bottle holder in the front.

So long as it's not in a place where you have to constantly remove your pack en route, you're golden. I walked with someone who needed someone else to fetch his water all the time from the back of his bag, not great!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mammut have an Add on Water Carrier which will fit on the waist strap or the shoulder strap.Adjustable to take most bottle sizes.It will slide along the waist strap easily so you can remove the bottle without taking off the pack,then push it back out of the way.The lower you have them on your pack the better.

I've just bought a couple of Mammut ones and I'm very impressed.

I have always preferred carrying my canteens on the hip belt, and modified my hip belts so I could attach the canteens to them with ALICE clips. (Yup, USGI 1-quart canteens with cups and covers. What can I say; it's what I was accustomed to.)

Many years back, a California store chain called Sport Chalet carried an entire line of backpacking items with the "Camp 7" label. One 'sub-line' was a modular backpack/load-carrying system. The hip-belt wasn't very good and the packbag was only mediocre, but many of the accessories were fan-dang-tastic! For example, there were water bottle holders in two sizes: one would hold a standard 1-liter Nalgene and the other would hold a 750-800 ml bottle. I bought two of both sizes and have found them extremely useful.

They're open-topped, stiff enough to stay open, and deep enough that the bottle won't fall out. They have a lengthy Velcro strap on the back so they can be attached to wide belts, etc. It's too bad that they aren't available anymore, because I would buy two more sets. I have toyed with the idea of finding someone with the skills to make them, but haven't yet done it.
Water Bottle Holders.jpg

Last edited:
I knitted myself a bottle holder. Very low weight, will fit any bottle, and I make one in less than an hour. (I've given away dozens.)
Heidi
I love the fact that you actually knitted a water bottle holder! It makes a lot of sense! Do you attach it to your hip belt or does it hang from your shoulder? ( I once crocheted a bicycle seat cover. )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Folks,

There are many options available for those of us who wish to carry our water bottles on our belts or shoulder straps. Just run an Amazon.com search for "bottle holder" in the Outdoor Products area. WARNING: Know what you want before you do this, and be prepared to wade through a lot of items that won't work for you. There are literally thousands of entries.... :eek:

Heidi
I love the fact that you actually knitted a water bottle holder! It makes a lot of sense! Do you attach it to your hip belt or does it hang from your shoulder? ( I once crocheted a bicycle seat cover. )

I hang it across my body so it rests against my lower ribs.

I knitted myself a bottle holder. Very low weight, will fit any bottle, and I make one in less than an hour. (I've given away dozens.)
I also knitted myself a water bottle carrier. However, this was after our Camino. while on the Camino I had two water bottles in the hip holder of my backpack. Very inconvenient, as my husband would have to remove them for me each time I needed a drink. Definitely prefer something on the front of my backpack.

I purchased this hip belt with one bottle holder in front. I kept a larger bottle in the mesh side pouch of my Osprey. Whenever I stopped for a bathroom break I filled the small one back up. This hip pack carries all of my important items and has an extra zipper in the front that is room enough for even larger phones. I love it!Screenshot_2018-04-10-19-00-14.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried a bottle in each side of my pack in mesh pockets, but found them to be not as accessible as I wanted. I've since purchased and swear by the carabiner clips that simply attach to any plastic water bottle at the neck which I clip to the front of a shoulder strap. ( Don't jump all over me for using a plastic water bottle...I refilled the same one for the entire journey!!! )
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D46M69D/?tag=casaivar02-20

Wow, that's a lot of "to do about nothing!" I carry a 1/2 litre in my pocket and 1.5 litre on top of my pack if it is going to be a long or hot day.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back