• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water Discussion (I thought you might like a laugh)

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
I was working in my office last night. (Okay work is a stretch. I was on the internet) My wife walks in and she asks me a question and then she sees on my note pad I have scribbled "Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder" Besides those words, not much else was on the note pad besides poorly drawn unrelatable doodles. So she goes "What's that about?" I then launch into a five minute discussion on the merits of which I should take on the Camino. I say 5 minutes. Maybe it was 10 minutes. I dunno. I get excited about containers that hold H20. I'm sure to her it seemed like an hour though. God Bless her. After almost 16 years of marriage, she still tries to pretend she's interested in what I'm saying.. After all that was said and done, my beautiful wife looked at me and said "Matt, you aren't leaving for 14 months. I think you have time. For now, what should we make for dinner?" Well if you must know, we made chicken fettucine alfredo.

I'm still debating water bottles or hydration bladders though. Feel free to chime in! LOL

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like water bottles. I like their simplicity and in my case, their disposal ability. I buy two or three bottles of soda or water when I begin my Camino and refill them all the way to the end and then throw them away.
I have had hydration bladders before, but they do get mucky inside if not cleaned regularly and I have seen them leak into pack contents before.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm still debating water bottles or hydration bladders though. Feel free to chime in! LOL
We used bottles, the aluminium type but cheaper versions. (Mountain Warehouse in UK.) Still have them over 10 years later. The advantage to us was that we could take them sightseeing on a 'rest day' without having to carry our packs. We could use them if thirsty in the night and, when walking, stopping briefly for a drink was a good excuse for a breather or to admire the view.
The bladder pocket made a good place to keep papers, credenciales etc :)

I was working in my office last night. (Okay work is a stretch. I was on the internet) My wife walks in and she asks me a question and then she sees on my note pad I have scribbled "Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder" Besides those words, not much else was on the note pad besides poorly drawn unrelatable doodles. So she goes "What's that about?" I then launch into a five minute discussion on the merits of which I should take on the Camino. I say 5 minutes. Maybe it was 10 minutes. I dunno. I get excited about containers that hold H20. I'm sure to her it seemed like an hour though. God Bless her. After almost 16 years of marriage, she still tries to pretend she's interested in what I'm saying.. After all that was said and done, my beautiful wife looked at me and said "Matt, you aren't leaving for 14 months. I think you have time. For now, what should we make for dinner?" Well if you must know, we made chicken fettucine alfredo.

I know the feeling well! I have several systems but always wind up with platypus in ruck and two small bottles, one either side. I keep my gear in drybags as it wouldn't be the first time I have incorrectly put the slider on and lo and behold one ruck full of water! I then commence to speak in tongues :)

Samarkand.

If you are on the CF no need for a large water supply. I carry a 500 ml water bottle I buy at the store on arrival and keep refilling until it starts to leak. For the few longer stretches without water supply I carry one extra 1 liter bottle that I purchase. Lighter when empty than the fancy water bottles that you can buy. For some other routes you may need a larger supply. I don't like the water bladder thing. Just a personal preference though.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For most of my 10 caminos walking in autumn and winter I bought 2 half/liter bottles of water at the beginning of the camino and filled those same 2 bottles periordically from taps in albergues.

After purchasing a snack along the way in bars I would ask for the bottles to be filled or fill them myself from the taps in the loo.

If you are on the CF no need for a large water supply. I carry a 500 ml water bottle I buy at the store on arrival and keep refilling until it starts to leak. For the few longer stretches without water supply I carry one extra 1 liter bottle that I purchase. Lighter when empty than the fancy water bottles that you can buy. For some other routes you may need a larger supply. I don't like the water bladder thing. Just a personal preference though.
Good points thanks! I've been leaning bottles for sure. And yes I'll be on the CF.

Your Camino is only 14 months away? I hope your bag is packed and ready to go... if not... better get on that!

Laughing because I start packing as soon as I start with serious plans... Of course - I am never done packing until I actually leave for the airport. Because - of course - you must unpack your bag to see what else you can elminate or exchange to lighten your load.

As for the water container? Disposable 1L "smart water" (for those in the US) bottle that I will buy after I pass security at the airport which will be refilled/reused until I think it is starting to get gross - weighs only 40 grams - and I will add a lixada hydration tube that attaches to the water bottle so I can drink from it as if it were a hydration pack (but it is more convenient for me to check water levels and refill). Of course - I will have to trim the hose to the perfect length, because, you know - it can't be too long and that extra few grams makes a difference in the total weight of the pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your Camino is only 14 months away? I hope your bag is packed and ready to go... if not... better get on that!

Laughing because I start packing as soon as I start with serious plans... Of course - I am never done packing until I actually leave for the airport. Because - of course - you must unpack your bag to see what else you can elminate or exchange to lighten your load.

As for the water container? Disposable 1L "smart water" (for those in the US) bottle that I will buy after I pass security at the airport which will be refilled/reused until I think it is starting to get gross - weighs only 40 grams - and I will add a lixada hydration tube that attaches to the water bottle so I can drink from it as if it were a hydration pack (but it is more convenient for me to check water levels and refill). Of course - I will have to trim the hose to the perfect length, because, you know - it can't be too long and that extra few grams makes a difference in the total weight of the pack.
It's about, um, half packed hahaha!

You have plenty of time to figure out what you need to do to maintain a healthy level of hydration, and ymmv. But here’s my two cents.

I don’t like bladders. I don’t need the leaking and sanitation issues in my life, and I don’t like to see others mouth around for the tube and then draw on it. I have to look away. I also think they lead to carrying around more water than is necessary, and water is really heavy.

It’s good to remember that the CF has water available every few kilometers, with only a few exceptions. It isn’t the Gobi desert, or Arizona, or the Australian outback. If you’re walking in spring or fall, temperatures are moderate and your need for hydration is not that great. There is danger in over hydration as well as under. I drink when I am thirsty, enough so that my pee stays light yellow. I drink in the morning before a hike, and afterwards. That helps maintain a steady state in my body, and there’s no extra weight to lug around. I pay attention to how much I am sweating.

That’s why I don’t feel that I need to lug around several liters of water (weighing 5+ pounds) and suck down water every few minutes. The total that I start out with every morning on the Camino is .75 liters, and I have never had any issue at all. (With the exception of a few stretches, which are well-known.)

This what I bring on the Camino and on walks at home of up to about 5-6 miles (10 km):
1. 250 ml Nalgene bottle that absolutely does not leak. That makes it worth the slightly extra weight to me, which is probably a difference of a fraction of an ounce. It’s small enough to fit in a jacket pocket or my waist pack and I have easy access to it without stopping walking. Often it is all I need until I can refill along the CF.
2. My favorite type of water bottle from Spain. You will probably get served one of these in a restaurant if you order water. It’s .5 liters and very sturdy.

9067BE3D-C362-4DAB-86D5-B5FA52F85106.jpeg

Edited to add: I find a one liter bottle to be awkward in a pack, and sometimes to refill. And just generally bigger than what is necessary.

You have plenty of time to figure out what you need to do to maintain a healthy level of hydration, and ymmv. But here’s my two cents.

I don’t like bladders. I don’t need the leaking and sanitation issues in my life, and I don’t like to see others mouth around for the tube and then draw on it. I have to look away. I also think they lead to carrying around more water than is necessary, and water is really heavy.

It’s good to remember that the CF has water available every few kilometers, with only a few exceptions. It isn’t the Gobi desert, or Arizona, or the Australian outback. If you’re walking in spring or fall, temperatures are moderate and your need for hydration is not that great. There is danger in over hydration as well as under. I drink when I am thirsty, enough so that my pee stays light yellow. I drink in the morning before a hike, and afterwards. That helps maintain a steady state in my body, and there’s no extra weight to lug around. I pay attention to how much I am sweating.

That’s why I don’t feel that I need to lug around several liters of water (weighing 5+ pounds) and suck down water every few minutes. The total that I start out with every morning on the Camino is .75 liters, and I have never had any issue at all. (With the exception of a few stretches, which are well-known.)

This what I bring on the Camino and on walks at home of up to about 5-6 miles (10 km):
1. 250 ml Nalgene bottle that absolutely does not leak. That makes it worth the slightly extra weight to me, which is probably a difference of a fraction of an ounce. It’s small enough to fit in a jacket pocket or my waist pack and I have easy access to it without stopping walking. Often it is all I need until I can refill along the CF.
2. My favorite type of water bottle from Spain. You will probably get served one of these in a restaurant if you order water. It’s .5 liters and very sturdy.

View attachment 123691
I like this idea and will use it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you can't reach your water bottle pocket easily like me, use a water bottle holder on a carabiner clip that clips on the front of the pack. Looks like this:

My husband's pack (6 moons designs) also has a water bottle pocket on the "vest" that serves as the harness and straps. Other people use the collapsible water bottles (Vapor brand I think?) that can be clipped onto your pack.

When walking together we just put the water in the bottle pocket and get it out for each other to drink from.

I believe @davebugg recently contributed to a thread about water dispensing and would be a better guide for you on the bladder mechanisms if you want to know more about that.

I'm still debating water bottles or hydration bladders though.
I’ve seen people using bladders. And other people using bottles.
Both types of homo sapiens seem to be able to start in Saint-Jean and actually make it to Santiago (this also applies to a number of other camino’s).

My educated guess is that it comes down to what you prefer.

I used to be a bottle man. And still am when it comes down to certain kinds of beverages. The mere thought of drinking beer or wine from a bladder gives me a headache.

When walking longer distances I learned to prefer using a bladder. Strictly for drinking water that is, mind you. It enables me to drink just a few sips regularly. This was adviced to me by a fysiotherapist (is that correct English?). He explained to me that it’s good for the human body to have a sufficient supply of water constantly when performing ‘heavy’ duty. So he reccomended drinking small amounts of water regularly. Preferably before feeling thirsty. He explained that feeling thirsty is your body saying “Hey, you should have given me some fluid, before making me cry out to you”.

I don’t like bladders. I don’t need the leaking and sanitation issues in my life, and I don’t like to see others mouth around for the tube and then draw on it. I have to look away.
I agree--seems pretty yucky to me, but I don't use a straw with any drinks and prefer to sip from the rim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don’t like to see others mouth around for the tube and then draw on it.
I agree--seems pretty yucky to me, but I don't use a straw with any drinks and prefer to sip from the rim.
I usually appreciate what you both post. But with all due respect ... For goodness sake! There are things worth being squeamish about and this definitely isn't one of them.

The OP just wants to know what we use, not what we don't like to watch others using.

For the most part onn the Frances and Portugues I have never found a need to carry more than 1 litre of water, in 500 ml bottles. On the Frances just a couple of sections I carried 1.5 litres in three bottles, and those were the first day out of SJPdP and the section after Carrion de los Condes (that has been brought up many times on this forum). I have also carried just one full 500 ml bottle in my pack, and clipped a 12 oz plastic cup to the outside as well. I would just use the cup when I got to a tap or a fountain (two full cupfuls about 500 ml), and leave the bottle as reserve, for me or if I encounter another pilgrim in need of water ASAP (I have actually come across other pilgrims on two occasions that had run dry and needed a water fix ASAP).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually appreciate what you both post. But with all due respect ... For goodness sake! There are things worth being squeamish about and this definitely isn't one of them.
Squeamish as I wanna be! 😎

It really does seem yucky to me and I can’t help that. 🤷‍♀️ And I do think it is something for people to consider if deciding yes or no to a bladder system, that other people might not enjoy being around you using it.

I will say that I can’t ever recall it being an issue on the Camino, but with my hiking group where we stand around as a group a lot more, it’s more noticeable. Thankfully my husband doesn’t use a bladder. That would really suck! 🤣

ps. I also enjoy your posts. Even this one made me smile. ❤️

And I do think it is something for people to consider if deciding yes or no to a bladder system, that other people might not enjoy being around you using it.
We'll just have to agree not to watch each other drink.
;)
Thankfully my husband doesn’t use a bladder. That would really suck! 🤣
Ooooo. Bladders are one thing. But puns?
You just got bonus points.
🤣

@André Walker

I think the advice to drink before you’re thirsty is outdated. The thirst mechanism has served us Homo sapiens very well for millions of years. The pendulum has swung (finally, for some of us) from hydrate-hydrate-hydrate hysteria to a more informed and nuanced approach.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 123691

Edited to add: I find a one liter bottle to be awkward in a pack, and sometimes to refill. And just generally bigger than what is necessary.
snap! I am still using one of those blue Spanish water bottles now, from my last Camino walk in 2019. Very sturdy indeed and it gets used on a weekly basis...

snap! I am still using one of those blue Spanish water bottles now, from my last Camino walk in 2019. Very sturdy indeed and it gets used on a weekly basis...
I use mine all the time at home, too. The little shoulder on the bottle makes it fit in my pack pocket perfectly and I love the color. But I did have someone ask me once, who obviously had never been to Spain, if I was drinking gin. 🤣🤣🤣

My advice, based on my own experience, is to test it out. I really really didn’t want to use a bladder. Worried about cleanliness, plasticky taste, leakage. And have always used water bottles when I day hiked with a smaller pack. But when I did a couple practice hikes, I realized that a water bottle wasn’t going to work with my system. Too finicky to reach (I would be solo), I really wanted a crossbody and not a waist pack with bottle holder, etc. Thanks to people on this forum (@trecile) I found a bladder with no plastic taste, easy to fill and clean, and doesn’t seem to leak. It works for me, and much better than when I was trying to use bottles. Depending on the day, I will have a spare bottle in a pocket for emergency. At least that’s my plan - my Camino starts this week! Everyone is different. You can take opinions but in the end you have to go with what actually works for you on the trail.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@André Walker

I think the advice to drink before you’re thirsty is outdated. The thirst mechanism has served us Homo sapiens very well for millions of years. The pendulum has swung (finally, for some of us) from hydrate-hydrate-hydrate hysteria to a more informed and nuanced approach.

Well thousands of Army Sergeants would say the answer to all ills is to drink more water. Still I believe US Army basic trainees are issued canteens (two) and are urged to drink whether they feel thirsty or not. Yes tactical warfighters had the water bladder. (Mine always leaked so I still prefer a canteen and as an RN I did not have to go to basic training.) Each person must decide his or her own system for water. A cheap water bottle works best for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well thousands of Army Sergeants would say the answer to all ills is to drink more water. Still I believe US Army basic trainees are issued canteens (two) and are urged to drink whether they feel thirsty or not. Yes tactical warfighters had the water bladder. (Mine always leaked so I still prefer a canteen and as an RN I did not have to go to basic training.) Each person must decide his or her own system for water. A cheap water bottle works best for me.
Yes - most people have to work hard to drink "too much water". That isn't to say you shouldn't supplement with some electrolytes - but in general - people hiking are much more likely to be dehydrated than over-hydrated. And as any kidney doc will tell you - if you wait until you are "thirsty" to drink - you are already getting dehydrated. Sip Sip Sip - all day long!

And yes - I have all kinds of bladders and water bottles - but for a long distance hike - the disposable water bottle is perfect. And I like the hydration tube to attach to it.

Use common sense. Listen to your body, including drinking when you’re thirsty. Listen to current science, even when that means you need to set aside long-held beliefs. The Camino is not boot camp, nor is it a desert trek.

Arguing about hydration practices is tiresome and pointless. There are much better sources of information about it than opinions expoused on a public forum. Do what works for you. The OP asked about bottles vs. bladders, and I have said what I want to say about that.

To each their own, but practice before you go if you haven't traveled a distance on your feet.

I use a bladder and a bottle, because of my thirst levels and my need for electrolytes ( well documented in multiple endurance events and last July from Sarria).

One note, though, for the group..."mature" adults and children tend to have a decreased perception of, or understanding of, thirst, and will often (yes, I've stopped for several responses) dehydrate before they know it. Practice will tell you if this is relevant to you before you get started. ;)

I simply will not tell someone that bottles are bad and reservoirs are the best. I am limited to telling people WHY I might prefer one over the other. Others can do likewise. I want folks to use what makes sense to them, and seems the best choice. Those factors for choosing are all subjective issues which no one can dispute.

This post was written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles; this is a difference than from focusing on how someone 'perceives' usability as was mentioned above with regard to subjective values for an individual.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am posting this to preempt those who misunderstand the facts - or who have insufficient facts -to claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go.

1. Sanitation. With water carry, bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay just as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through frequent use which keeps bottles, reservoirs, and tubing fresh and sanitary. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc.) are put into a bottle or a reservoir.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

One example study, from 2009:
https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(09)70419-3/fulltext

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and then are not properly washed out prior to long term storage. Mold may also form in the shorter term when fluids with sugars are exposed to warmth and sun.

Also, not all discolorations are harmful molds. Most times, it may be an algae growth from leaving stagnant water exposed to light.

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 to 6 ounces. The equivalent in bottles around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration with overall backpack weight.

The other issue is reservoir water capacity and total weight.

You do not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. If the next water source is 32 kilometers distant under a hot sun, I will carry up to 4 liters. If the next water source is a few kilometers distant in cool weather, I might carry a half liter.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a Quick Connect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my backpack or daypack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

NOTE: The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as used when wilderness backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. The refill cap is simply attached to my collapsible water bottle, after it is filled with water from a fountain or faucet.

For refill bottles.... I use an extremely lightweight collapsible bottle that can hold up to 1.5 liters. Empty, it rolls down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the collapsible bottle as a quick backup as the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So, if I decide to, say, carry 1 liters of water between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1/2 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle, keeping the bottle partially collapsed and tucked into a side pocket.

By doing the above I do not need to see the water bladder itself in order to be assured of adequate water or to avoid accidentally running out of water.

The collapsible bottle I use is just one container option. The refill adapter with the Quick Connect kit can also fit on a variety of empty bottled water containers.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I simply will not tell someone that bottles are bad and reservoirs are the best. I am limited to telling people WHY I might prefer one over the other. Others can do likewise. I want folks to use what makes sense to them, and seems the best choice. Those factors for choosing are all subjective issues which no one can dispute.

This post was written to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles; this is a difference than from focusing on how someone 'perceives' usability as was mentioned above with regard to subjective values for an individual.

I'm NOT writing this post to suggest that I and others who prefer reservoirs are making the best and most superior choice; I am posting this to preempt those who misunderstand the facts - or who have insufficient facts -to claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go.

1. Sanitation. With water carry, bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay just as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried.

As with plumbing, it is the change of water and water flow through frequent use which keeps bottles, reservoirs, and tubing fresh and sanitary. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc.) are put into a bottle or a reservoir.

While working for the local public health district, I did a review of the literature, which I again did in 2016. Comparisons of bacterial contamination levels between bottles and hydration bladders were indistinguishable -- both had equally low rates of bacterial contamination. And both were at about equal risk for developing significant levels of bacteria and mold if not cleaned and dried properly prior to storage. In the last few years, the hydration reservoirs have become more modular in nature and have wider openings to access the water compartments, making it much easier to clean and prepare for storage than previous generations of the product.

When it is time to store bottles or bladders away for the season, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and then are not properly washed out prior to long term storage. Mold may also form in the shorter term when fluids with sugars are exposed to warmth and sun.

Also, not all discolorations are harmful molds. Most times, it may be an algae growth from leaving stagnant water exposed to light.

2. Ease of Use. I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight. Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 to 6 ounces. The equivalent in bottles around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue of consideration with overall backpack weight.

You do not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. If the next water source is 32 kilometers distant under a hot sun, I will carry up to 4 liters. If the next water source is a few kilometers distant in cool weather, I might carry a half liter.

4. Refills. This is actually a subheading under 'ease of use', but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a Quick Connect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my backpack or daypack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

NOTE: The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as used when wilderness backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. The refill cap is simply attached to my collapsible water bottle, after it is filled with water from a fountain or faucet.

For refill bottles.... I use an extremely lightweight collapsible bottle that can hold up to 1.5 liters. Empty, it rolls down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the collapsible bottle as a quick backup as the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So, if I decide to, say, carry 1 liters of water between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1/2 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle, keeping the bottle partially collapsed and tucked into a side pocket.

By doing the above I do not need to see the water bladder itself in order to be assured of adequate water or to avoid accidentally running out of water.

The collapsible bottle I use is just one container option. The refill adapter with the Quick Connect kit can also fit on a variety of empty bottled water containers.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones.
Great info! I appreciate all that you share!

To each their own, but practice before you go if you haven't traveled a distance on your feet.

I use a bladder and a bottle, because of my thirst levels and my need for electrolytes ( well documented in multiple endurance events and last July from Sarria).

One note, though, for the group..."mature" adults and children tend to have a decreased perception of, or understanding of, thirst, and will often (yes, I've stopped for several responses) dehydrate before they know it. Practice will tell you if this is relevant to you before you get started. ;)
Valid points. I live in central Georgia which is awfully hot, humid.....etc in the summer. So this summer I'm going to test my pack and with a bladder and just bottles to see which I prefer. This is the best I can do to simulate summer in Spain. I'm prone to drinking a lot so I'm going to test your strategy as well!

Probably one of the most discussed topics for sure. 😊.
I've used hydration bladders while backpacking for many years - .mostly for water than looked rather scruffy and definitely needed filtering before drinking. I have NEVER had mould grow in a bladder that I used. The only time I experienced a mould growth was when I loaned the bladder to a friend who put a sugary drink in it! Needless to say, he got an earful when it was returned!
When I hear someone say they use the same purchased disposable water bottle for days/weeks on the Camino, I cringe. As a retired clinical microbiologist, I know just what gets backwashed into a bottle and with a tiny opening that defies washing - yuck is my reaction!
My water bladders are all wide mouth which could be easily cleaned because you can get your hand inside to wash but it's not needed while on Camino because I NEVER put anything in it but clean pure water. No flavors, no electrolyte powders, no nada. Just water. With a bladder, I drink more and I don't have to be watchful for every fountain along the way. Works best for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Light weight metal water bottle is my preference. Handy, cheap, replaceable, easy to clean, seconds to fill and virtually indestructible. Also works well filled with either hot or cold water to roll over sore muscles. I have had one that has kept me good company on thousands and thousands of kilometers!

I was working in my office last night. (Okay work is a stretch. I was on the internet) My wife walks in and she asks me a question and then she sees on my note pad I have scribbled "Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder" Besides those words, not much else was on the note pad besides poorly drawn unrelatable doodles. So she goes "What's that about?" I then launch into a five minute discussion on the merits of which I should take on the Camino. I say 5 minutes. Maybe it was 10 minutes. I dunno. I get excited about containers that hold H20. I'm sure to her it seemed like an hour though. God Bless her. After almost 16 years of marriage, she still tries to pretend she's interested in what I'm saying.. After all that was said and done, my beautiful wife looked at me and said "Matt, you aren't leaving for 14 months. I think you have time. For now, what should we make for dinner?" Well if you must know, we made chicken Feel free to chime in! LOL

🤣 I totally understand your dilemma and ponder this too even though I have months to decide like you. The bladder is better for easy hydration on the move but takes more time to fill and weighs more. And I still like an extra 500ml bottle to have as well. I think 2 x500ml bottles is best and then just have one for evenings. Forget the bladder.

I like water bottles. I like their simplicity and in my case, their disposal ability. I buy two or three bottles of soda or water when I begin my Camino and refill them all the way to the end and then throw them away.
I have had hydration bladders before, but they do get mucky inside if not cleaned regularly and I have seen them leak into pack contents before.
We shifted to water bottles after our first camino. They are much lighter than bike type bottles, easy to clean, easy to pitch and easily replaced. Since then, we've used these type of water bottles in all our hikes and trips in the U.S. and around the world. 20 ounce bottles are the best, especially longer thin ones that are easily reached from your backpack, side or fanny pack. All our friends use these bottles now and we preach this in our practice camino presentations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

One final point, which was mentioned by another posting. It isn't the bladder or bottles that add much weight;it's the amount of water that you carry. We found so many fuentes and cafes along the Frances that by our second week, we were carrying much less water every day, no more than two half filled bottles. That is NOT true on other, less walked caminos. And in France, we carried a lot until a French dude we were walking with told us that all cemeteries have potable water. Sheesh. Why isn't this widely publicized?

That’s hilarious and I can relate. I get excited too about anything camino and probably have bored my husband to death for the last three years!!
I have switched back to taking small bladders for our May trip. But who knows… maybe I’ll buy one water bottle and end up carrying that! I just don’t want to have to keep stopping, put my poles in one hand, try to reach my water bottle, take a chug, and then, try to put it back! All while not hitting anyone with my poles!!

I have an older uncle in his 80's. He is in good shape for his age and independent, but he does not drink enough water and we have the hardest time convincing him to stay hydrated. I am sure I can be a pain in the butt to him when I visit and bring various new easy to fill, wide mouth water bottles and different brands of electrolyte mix powders, etc. Different flavors, trying to find the one he likes as much as his nightly glass of red wine lol.
I remember as a child drinking more sodas, sugar drinks etc than water. That crap isn't good for anyone, but as a child I didn't care. Even into my high school years playing sports at that time we weren't really pushed to drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. When I went in the army is the first time it was encouraged and in basic training it was mandatory. We went everywhere with a canteen on a web belt around our waists, and the canteen had to be full when we formed up in the morning (the sergeants would lift it to test its weight), and if it wasn't we were "corrected", or as they would say time for some "blood, sweat and tears" lol.
The only time on the Camino where I had some difficulty staying hydrated was in July of 2016 on the Frances (my poncho and fleece pullover never left the bottom of the backpack in over 30 days, not even in Galicia). It was very hot and dry (90's F) and specifically the stretch between Roncesvalles and Puente la Reina is where I believe I suffered a bit of heat exhaustion, which led me to taking one day off from walking and another day I made a half day.

WHERE will you carry the water?
That makes the choice for me.

20 years of road cycling, I loved bottles hanging in cages.
10 years of mountain biking, I loved bladders because the bottles wouldn't stay in the cages..
First back-pack with unreachable side pockets, I used a bladder.
Current Exos pack with easily reachable side pockets,,, I'm back to bottles !

Easy accessibility encourages more use, so WHERE you carry depends on which to choose, whether bottles or bladder.

WHERE will you carry the water?
That makes the choice for me.

20 years of road cycling, I loved bottles hanging in cages.
10 years of mountain biking, I loved bladders because the bottles wouldn't stay in the cages..
First back-pack with unreachable side pockets, I used a bladder.
Current Exos pack with easily reachable side pockets,,, I'm back to bottles !

Easy accessibility encourages more use, so WHERE you carry depends on which to choose, whether bottles or bladder.
I have my Osprey Talon. I seem to think I can get the bottle out easily enough while walking. I'll have to double check I can get it back in haha.

After all these posts not one person has asked me about my chicken fettucine alfredo. hahaha
giphy.gif

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While walking the Camino it's okay to stop and drink the water (and smell the roses, too ;) ).
I never gave too much concern as to where the water was kept in my pack as when I get thirsty I stop and drink. I am never in a rush on the Camino. I mean, why would one be?

While walking the Camino it's okay to stop and drink the water (and smell the roses, too ;) ).
I never gave too much concern as to where the water was kept in my pack as when I get thirsty I stop and drink. I am never in a rush on the Camino. I mean, why would one be?
Well I'd say some probably just struggle with their packs etc. But I don't foresee that being my problem. Like you said, I'll definitely take some breaks along the way haha.

I think the difference may be that you don't have to "take a break" to drink if you use the bladder, hose, bite valve. You just drink without having to make an effort to stop, reach for, unclip, unscrew the cap and drink. You could trip or fall if trying to do too many things at once.
This! And same can be accomplished with a water bottle and hose attached (yay - they finally sell them to fit some water bottles).

I think for many that leave their water in a bottle and don't have a hose - many times they won't drink water at regular intervals which can lead to dehydration. I am not saying that everyone with a water bottle becomes dehydrated - but if you aren't drinking frequently enough it is a potential problem. When someone has a hose - they are more likely to drink at regular intervals and stay more hydrated. Not everyone. But many if not most people tend to drink more water when they have easier access to water.

Anyhow - there are advantages and disadvantages to having a bladder and advantages and disadvantages to having a water bottle. Do whichever will make you more likely to drink more water. If you don't like drinking from a straw - you aren't going to like drinking from a hose. But if your water bottle isn't as easy to access while you are walking - then either get a bladder or add a hose to your water bottle. Just drink plenty of water as you walk! And the more you exert yourself or the hotter it gets - increase your fluid intake.

Yes - you can stop to drink water. And you SHOULD drink water when you stop for breaks. But you should also be drinking water WHILE you are walking (or stop momentarily to grab your bottle and keep walking).

There are as many answers as there are people! I've walked twice using/reusing bottles I bought along the way. This time I'm taking my bladder. Trying something new for a few reasons. I've done alot of backcountry camping since my last Camino in 2017 and find I drink more water (and more steadily) with the bladder. My bottle pockets are a pain to reach. My daughter (aka my Camino partner) got dehydrated on our last Camino by not drinking enough water. If it doesn't work for me I can switch back to bottles. Like other have suggested, I'd try both on long hikes w a full pack. It'll help those months go by a little faster 🙂

I was going to ask a question about angels dancing on a pin, but this topic will do instead..........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think this discussion of bottle vs bladder is becoming like boots vs trail runners and sleeping bag vs liner! 🤪

Whatever works for you, make sure you try it out and happy with your choice.

I use a bladder, it has a 2L capacity but I never completely fill it up. I find it best at 0.5-1L so it’s not too fat, and I squeeze the air out before sealing the top. There was a similar thread recently asking about water availability on the Frances and in generally sounds like you’ll be able to refill in cafes along the way.

Many years ago (15?) I got a branded hydration bladder, but I found it was fiddly to refill and the straw didn’t let me drink quickly enough. Then I found a cheap day bag from Costco with a bladder! And it was much better. The drinking part also has a cap, so it makes me feel like it’s more hygienic as I toss my backpack around.

For my practice Camino hikes I added an electrolyte effervescent tablet into the bladder, and as long as you empty/drink it completely at the end of the day it doesn’t get mucky. When I got home I would wash it properly. So I think on the Camino it means quick water rinse daily and soap and water every few days.

I don’t like drinking from bottles as it means having to unstrap my chest and waist belts and swing it to one side to retrieve the bottle on the go. Or stop, take everything off, and get the bottle. Maybe others have better way to access their bottles while walking. I don’t like attaching the bottle to the strap like marathon runners cos I feel it interferes with the balance.

Having said that I would bring an empty bottle for refills along the way, if needed!

When cycling I drink from a bladder, and then use the bottles when I stop to rest. It’s like frequent little top ups on the go, big gulps when I’m stopping.

This! And same can be accomplished with a water bottle and hose attached (yay - they finally sell them to fit some water bottles).

I think for many that leave their water in a bottle and don't have a hose - many times they won't drink water at regular intervals which can lead to dehydration. I am not saying that everyone with a water bottle becomes dehydrated - but if you aren't drinking frequently enough it is a potential problem. When someone has a hose - they are more likely to drink at regular intervals and stay more hydrated. Not everyone. But many if not most people tend to drink more water when they have easier access to water.

Anyhow - there are advantages and disadvantages to having a bladder and advantages and disadvantages to having a water bottle. Do whichever will make you more likely to drink more water. If you don't like drinking from a straw - you aren't going to like drinking from a hose. But if your water bottle isn't as easy to access while you are walking - then either get a bladder or add a hose to your water bottle. Just drink plenty of water as you walk! And the more you exert yourself or the hotter it gets - increase your fluid intake.

Yes - you can stop to drink water. And you SHOULD drink water when you stop for breaks. But you should also be drinking water WHILE you are walking (or stop momentarily to grab your bottle and keep walking).
Yes, I just don't like straws or sippers of any kind. I don't like to "suck" the liquid. Maybe from working with people who have swallowing difficulties. I can drink from a hose if the water is freely running like at a tap or fountain. Personal preference, though. I also don't drink enough water because I don't want to have to find a place to go to the bathroom. That has gotten me in trouble a few times with dehydration and/or heat injury. I do know better since I am a nurse, but just because you know something does not mean you will actually do anything about it.

Last edited:

Bladders are hard to keep clean plastic bottles are good but with 2 liter bottle so enexpensive we've always refilled or after a couple of day purchased more.ypi should plan on carrying four liters and consume that much to keep hydrated.
Enjoy and Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At home hiking I always use a bladder. My last 2 caminos I used water bottles but I got so frustrated with the bottles falling out of the pockets whenever I bent over that I’m going back to using a bladder.

I also don't drink enough water because I don't want to have to find a place to go to the bathroom. That has gotten me in trouble a few times with dehydration and/or heat injury. I do not know better since I am a nurse, but just because you know something does not mean you will actually do anything about it.
LOL... we both know that just like doctors - nurses are some of the worst patients! (Also a nurse).

Yeah - the finding a bathroom thing is an issue. I just try to time it so I can get an aquarius to help replace some electrolytes at the same time! Most of the time I found a bathroom on the Camino Frances - not always - but most of the time!

I had a stomach surgery and now I can't catch up with fluids if I get behind - makes me much more acutely aware of the need to constantly sip water. I can't afford to get behind in fluids.

My Dear Husband has gotten used to these one sided Camino discussions. My favorites are when I pass along a funny story or joke that only a pilgrim would appreciate - “. . . and then her insoles were soaking wet!!! Hahaha!”
Met with a bemused stare, I realize once again, I have failed to know my audience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This is my first posting here. My wife and I did our first Camino in 2018,
(when I was 75) from SJP de P France to Santiago, then onwards against the arrows to Porto with zero rest days. I am someone who loves water, and while preparing at home for the journey, came to the realisation that water bottles were not going to work for me, so I bought a 3 litre bladder, and inserted it into the bladder holder of my backpack.
Because we were doing C. Frances as well as C. Portuguese, I had both printed Brierley Guide books, in my pack as well as an Anniversary card for my wife, as our anniversary was going to be when we were near Burgos. In the Santa Fe Albergue at Cardenuala Riopico, while I was rummaging in my pack, I realised the bladder had been leaking, and both Brierley books were completely soaked, and the Anniversary card, which I was going to give her the following day at the albergue in Tardajos, was like a wet tissue, and fell apart in my hands.
Did that swear me off of using bladders? No, I bought a new 2 litre one when I returned home. After trying to dry the Brierley books, some of the pages were so stuck together, they were unusable. The only places we seemed to accidentally lose the Camino trail and walk the wrong direction was for the parts where the pages were not usable. Did it swear me off of Anniversary cards? No, but as my wife since has had knee surgeries, I walk alone, and don't need to carry one. When I fly to Porto on Sept. 17 this year, I will be flying with my bladder (so to speak), and a newer Brierley guide of the Portuguese.

View attachment 123691

View attachment 123691

I didn't realise that drinking through the mouthpiece of my water bladder hose was bothering other people, and making them look away. Now that I have been enlightened, I shall attempt to find a tree or bush to conceal myself while drinking. If anyone sees me go back there, they'll just assume I'm peeing.

I didn't realise that drinking through the mouthpiece of my water bladder hose was bothering other people, and making them look away. Now that I have been enlightened, I shall attempt to find a tree or bush to conceal myself while drinking. If anyone sees me go back there, they'll just assume I'm peeing.
Probably only bothers me and @Esperanza . No need to change your habits on my account.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bladders are hard to keep clean plastic bottles are good but with 2 liter bottle so enexpensive we've always refilled or after a couple of day purchased more.ypi should plan on carrying four liters and consume that much to keep hydrated.
Enjoy and Buen Camino
Bladders are easy to keep clean as the water supply lines in a home. As long as it is being used daily, and only with water, there is no special cleaning needed. The continuous use with fresh water is sufficient.

if they only contain water, and at the end of a trip are dried out and not stored for days or weeks wet, they will not get funky. They can also be stored in the freezer.

Cemeteries along the Via Regia also have potable water sources. Gatorade bottles are tough and don't leak. With some orange tape they are easily spotted and aren't left behind after your last break

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Recipe please?

Dave,
What a great reply..
A couple of cents worth - I like the 750ml plastic water bottles with the pop up top that fits in an outside pack pocket and that I also use during the night to hydrate with my CPAP machine (without water tank) and I recently went half way with a soft plastic 750ml runners bottle with a wide top and short bite straw that has its own carrier and I can drink from as I walk.

View attachment 123691

My choice of water bottle for the Camino is a clear plastic 850 ml bottle, hanging off my backpack strap - light, readily accessible, and I can see how much I am drinking and when I need to refill...

I have walked in the Australian outback (the Larapinta Trail to be precise - 17 days of hard physical walking - harder than either the Frances or Portuguese, IMHO - and potentially in hot weather) and I chose the bladder for that. I was carrying only a day pack so weight wasn't an issue, there was only one opportunity to refill (at the start of the day) and the mouthpiece was conveniently placed to encourage regular and frequent sips. Dehydration is a very real risk on the Larapinta Trail and help is not readily at hand should there be a problem - requires a helicopter evacuation...

Each to their own...

I just took an ordinary plastic bottle of water purchased in a shop. Plenty of places to top it up. Wish I was going again! 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Haha I really identify with this. For the past week or so I have been frantically researching and planning my next camino and the WHW and I am not sure when I will be able to do either.

Some really good advice above. I am not an expert and wont pretend I know which is better. I think you should try both and see what you like. Or take both and gift the one you don't like. I would like to add one bladder pro that has not been mentioned. You can add ice (I would ask whenever I stopped at a bar) to it and the cold water feels amazing on your hot back. I also met a somewhat eccentric older lady who filled hers with hot water at night and used it as a hot water bottle (in my opinion this is unsafe and I would never do or recommend that).

For my Frances (which I did with next to no prior research or experience) I had a bottle. Then I was given a bladder by a pilgrim who didn't like it. I loved the bladder because of the independence it gave me. A few days in I bought a nicer one with a bite valve but I hung on to the bottle too and filled it half way so I didn't have to worry about running out. For my next walk I want to purchase a good bladder (I gifted mine to a Pilgrim at the end of my camino). I now know better and will only put water (and ice) in it. Last time I filled it with all sorts (the wine fountain day will still haunt me). I thought I had to wash and dry it every night so I am relieved to read that I don't need to do that. I would like to buy one of those fast fill adapters that Dave Bugg mentioned. I have been advised to take a water filter on the WHW so it seems to tick that box nicely for me.

Buen camino and have fun researching and planning

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are as many answers as there are people! I've walked twice using/reusing bottles I bought along the way. This time I'm taking my bladder. Trying something new for a few reasons. I've done alot of backcountry camping since my last Camino in 2017 and find I drink more water (and more steadily) with the bladder. My bottle pockets are a pain to reach. My daughter (aka my Camino partner) got dehydrated on our last Camino by not drinking enough water. If it doesn't work for me I can switch back to bottles. Like other have suggested, I'd try both on long hikes w a full pack. It'll help those months go by a little faster 🙂
This is an example of the drinking tube. Think this is a great solution to staying hydrated while walking using light weight plastic bottles.

I have not taken the time to read all of these many replies, but as @davebugg has said, it is entirely subjective.
I do have one question regarding owning and using a water bladder over the years...does the supple, rubbery plastic they are made from taint the flavor of the water over time? I own a few brands of reusable hand-held water bottles for use on my local walks and it seems in time the water changes its taste from the materials they are made from. Do bladders change the taste of the water, and is it recommended to replace them even before they would happen to spring a leak?

I have not taken the time to read all of these many replies, but as @davebugg has said, it is entirely subjective.
I do have one question regarding owning and using a water bladder over the years...does the supple, rubbery plastic they are made from taint the flavor of the water over time? I own a few brands of reusable hand-held water bottles for use on my local walks and it seems in time the water changes its taste from the materials they are made from. Do bladders change the taste of the water, and is it recommended to replace them even before they would happen to spring a leak?
Mine seem to - unfortunately! And I have had multiple brands. Is it from the material? Or is bacteria entering the bladder? I don't know. But I tend to throw out my bladders more frequently because of the change in taste! This is another reason why I like a disposable water bottle that you buy with the water in it - once it starts getting gross I can buy another bottle of water and toss the old one! And as I said previously - I do use a tube with it for easy access to water while leaving the bottle in my pack.

Definitely water bottle plenty of places to refill and lighter to carry and u can keep eye on how much u are drinking

Definitely water bottle plenty of places to refill and lighter to carry and u can keep eye on how much u are drinking

Bottle MAY be lighter, certainly, depending on the bottle material and size. Water bladders are not remarkably heavier than many bottles, but they can weigh a few ounces more.

I only carry enough water to get from one water resource to the next, so very seldom carry more than a liter of water at a time, though I can certainly carry much more if I need to respond to hot weather causing more water intake for hydration, or longer distances between sources of water. Adding more bottles for water will do the same thing, if the pockets for carry are available to accommodate the additions.

I definitely agree it is nice to keep an eye on available water as you drink; as explained above, I know exactly how much water is available to me, so even if a water bladder supply runs dry, I have 1/2 liter still available..

The issue is what is most functional and usable to the user, given that both hydration systems really have no meaningful advantages, one over the other.

Last edited:
I use Camelbacks, have about 5 of them, the oldest is 10 years. No change in taste at all over all this time.

€46,-
I do have one question regarding owning and using a water bladder over the years...does the supple, rubbery plastic they are made from taint the flavor of the water over time?
I have got 2 camelbacks and the Costco one for at least 5 years (almost 10 for the camelbacks) they all still work fine and didn’t smell or taste plasticky. I like the Costco one as it has a cap to cover the mouth piece, feels more hygienic.

When I have finished each trip I would do a thorough rinse with soap and water including the tubing and flush the tubing completely before storing them (for what, 5 days? 🤪). Cos I don’t want to find mould inside the tubing or around the mouthpiece yuk!

Longevity wise, I removed the Costco bladder from its original daypack to my Camino backpack, attached the plastic top handle to the hook of my backpack but because of the weight, and how I treated the backpack (tossing them around), the plastic “handle” had snapped. I used a carabiner and hooked it to the next “loop” and 2 months later it snapped too. So I only have 1 “loop” left to attach the carabiner to, otherwise I will have to start being very creative (or get a new bladder).

You can get the bottles that u can screw in the “suck tube” so you can have the convenience of the bladder but not fill up your rucksack-also easier to refill

I have got 2 camelbacks and the Costco one for at least 5 years (almost 10 for the camelbacks) they all still work fine and didn’t smell or taste plasticky. I like the Costco one as it has a cap to cover the mouth piece, feels more hygienic.

When I have finished each trip I would do a thorough rinse with soap and water including the tubing and flush the tubing completely before storing them (for what, 5 days? 🤪). Cos I don’t want to find mould inside the tubing or around the mouthpiece yuk!

Longevity wise, I removed the Costco bladder from its original daypack to my Camino backpack, attached the plastic top handle to the hook of my backpack but because of the weight, and how I treated the backpack (tossing them around), the plastic “handle” had snapped. I used a carabiner and hooked it to the next “loop” and 2 months later it snapped too. So I only have 1 “loop” left to attach the carabiner to, otherwise I will have to start being very creative (or get a new bladder).
The bladders work just fine without being hooked to anything. Just plop it into your hydration sleeve and go!

Bladders are great - IF they don’t leak. I’ve been left almost without water a few times because of that - no fun. I recommend always carrying at least a liter bottle of water just in case.

Not sure you need even more input but I swear by these platypus collapsible water bottles, with the pull-push caps. https://www.platy.com/ie/bottles/softbottle-1.0l/softbottle.html#product-info

Plus points: They’re super-light; they’re also tough; they roll down so you can take them on flights with no problem; they’re transparent so you can see exactly how much is in them; and for me, they’re easy to reach and to top-up.

Rheres a caveat in my latter point—that they’re easy to reach only ‘for me’—because I use a Gossamer Gear backpack with massive, easily reached side pockets. If my backpack didn’t have these pockets, and if I hadn’t instead bought a bottle-clip system such as someone mentioned above, then this lack of easy access would be a deal breaker for me. I need access to my water very regularly.

I’ve previously used an Osprey bladder, and my partner still uses a platypus one. My experience: great to have the tube so close all the time; I had trouble with the magnet clasp interfering with my phone, to the extent that twice my phone entirely shut down half way through hikes; and I ran out of water one day, unexpectedly, because I couldn’t see how much I had left—this was during a thru-hike in England in relatively hot weather, with no water sources on the route. My partner has once had his bladder leak into his pack for no apparent reason. He still prefers the bladder system, though. I would revert to it myself, if it were the only way to get to my water quickly.

Although water is easy to find on the Camino Francés, I'll still carry a Grayl. Water was not easy to find on the twelve kilometers I walked from Los Arcos to Arróniz in 2015. Hot day, and I filled it three times from ponds and ditches.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

When hiking I use one or the other or both, depending on the weather. On my Camino I took both, but only used water bottles. I brought two empty Smart Water bottles and they worked well the whole trip. I only had a couple of segment where water was scarce. Between Castrojeriz, Frómista, Carrión de los Condes, and Terradillos de los Templarios. I thought planning for my Camino was a great way to enjoy the anticipation. Buen Camino

Did Camino Norte and Primitivo last year. For me - best decision was this thing: https://sourceoutdoor.com/product/convertube/

You don't have to worry about leakage of the bladder, cleaning it etc. You don't have to remove the backpack to grab your bottle (I can't reach them from the side pockets removing my backpack), so when you have the tube that you can attack to any bottle always keeps you hydrated, you always drink when you want on your walk. Buen Camino!

I bought a hydration bladder and then left it at home because it weighed more than the bottle. It would have been more convenient than trying to twist about to get the bottle out of my side pocket on the pack but...
Last year my partner and I had two topics of conversation. Me: Camino. Him: Car. We bored each other senseless with our constant blather. Shoes! Tires! Albergues! Car wax! It was honestly lovely.
The people who love you will gladly listen to whatever you are excited about and be excited for you. I'm 16 months out from my next Camino (I did Frances last year and I'm doing the Portuguese route from Faro next year) so now I'm telling him about my route plans and things I hope to see along the way and he is telling me something about his car.
Pace yourself! Enjoy the planning stages! Buen Camino! You will have the best time!

Not sure you need even more input but I swear by these platypus collapsible water bottles, with the pull-push caps.
I have owned a couple of these Platypus's in the past. Although they have some nice features, I dislike the flat, hard seams around all the edges where they are fused together. I have had them scrape my side pouches of the fabric, and I have scratched my hand before, so they are not my favorite for the constant "in and out" use they get on a Camino.

€60,-

Just got off the coastal Portugal route and water transport was my big concern. I use a hydration bladder because rehydrating is so important and I cant reach my water bottle in the side pouch. So the drink tube doubled my intake. Very important for those in the 50s and 60s as kidney stones creep up with dehydration and can really ruin a trip. The constant tossing of plastic bottles killed me and few places offered refill opportunities unless you baught lunch or dinner there. I did have a plastic bottle on my pack’s side as I like the convenience when taking a break with the pack off. Yes, I refilled it daily. So, I do both, but swear by the hydration bladder for increased intake. I drop the base of the bladder in a quart size zip lock in the pack in case of a little leakage and dont worry after that. I do love the idea of the tube designed for plastic water bottles. It’s genius. $20 on line, but maybe a great middle ground for people like me. One other note on water bottles. If they are clear, you kow when to refill. If they are metal or solid color, you guess until its gone. Go clear, use a drink tube bottle as its easier to dink more and rehydrate. Enjoy and wear good socks.

If your bladder is a fairly new model it shouldn't leak - if you close all the connections correctly. I had my pants soaked because I didn't put the top on a bottle correctly - at least that's what I told my hiking partners. And if your gear in the pack isn't in waterproof bags already, shame on you.

The ONLY advantage I can see to bottles is that they're convenient in the evenings when wandering around town - but you can accomplish that easily enough with carrying a spare bottle along with the bladder, as Davebugg and others of us do.

Other thoughts brought on by earlier posts in this thread:

I carry a stainless steel cup with a silicone lid - can be used as a cooking pot or coffee mug as needed - and one of the 20 oz/591ml sports-drink brand bottles nests nicely inside the cup in the mesh side pocket of my pack. Combined weight, empty, is under 6 oz. The cup keeps the mesh from holding the bottle too tightly so it's easier to remove and reinsert when desired.

If you walk with a partner - at the same pace - put your water bottles in their pack-pockets and you carry theirs. That way you don't have to ask for help reaching them - you just reach over and help yourself.

In my training walks I'll carry a pack loaded with water. At roughly 8 lbs each, a couple of gallon jugs in my pack approximates my regular load and provides me two solid advantages over carrying all my other gear: I have all the water I'll likely need (I train in the heat just north of Atlanta!) and if I feel too tired at any point I can quickly and cheaply lighten my load.

Mention was made in an earlier post about a "kitchen scale" - where does one buy such a thing? I'm tired of my gear scale being used by the cook and would like to find a dedicated scale just for kitchen chores.

This was asked several days ago and I for one am still awaiting a response: chicken fettuccine alfredo recipe please!

If your bladder is a fairly new model it shouldn't leak - if you close all the connections correctly. I had my pants soaked because I didn't put the top on a bottle correctly - at least that's what I told my hiking partners. And if your gear in the pack isn't in waterproof bags already, shame on you.

The ONLY advantage I can see to bottles is that they're convenient in the evenings when wandering around town - but you can accomplish that easily enough with carrying a spare bottle along with the bladder, as Davebugg and others of us do.

Other thoughts brought on by earlier posts in this thread:

I carry a stainless steel cup with a silicone lid - can be used as a cooking pot or coffee mug as needed - and one of the 20 oz/591ml sports-drink brand bottles nests nicely inside the cup in the mesh side pocket of my pack. Combined weight, empty, is under 6 oz. The cup keeps the mesh from holding the bottle too tightly so it's easier to remove and reinsert when desired.

If you walk with a partner - at the same pace - put your water bottles in their pack-pockets and you carry theirs. That way you don't have to ask for help reaching them - you just reach over and help yourself.

In my training walks I'll carry a pack loaded with water. At roughly 8 lbs each, a couple of gallon jugs in my pack approximates my regular load and provides me two solid advantages over carrying all my other gear: I have all the water I'll likely need (I train in the heat just north of Atlanta!) and if I feel too tired at any point I can quickly and cheaply lighten my load.

Mention was made in an earlier post about a "kitchen scale" - where does one buy such a thing? I'm tired of my gear scale being used by the cook and would like to find a dedicated scale just for kitchen chores.

This was asked several days ago and I for one am still awaiting a response: chicken fettuccine alfredo recipe please!

Amazon carries good, inexpensive ones which have both metric and imperial weight options, tare functions, and sometimes percentage functions. Some include a calibration weight so that you can check for accuracy if needed.

Take the water bottle that's easiest for you to use. I used a retail water bottle with a separate soft plastic drinking tube with a bite valve that I could secure to one shoulder strap. Always handy and easy to unscrew the top and fill the bottle when needed. BTW, I'm curious about the color of your cowl in your photo. UNC?

I have owned a couple of these Platypus's in the past. Although they have some nice features, I dislike the flat, hard seams around all the edges where they are fused together. I have had them scrape my side pouches of the fabric, and I have scratched my hand before, so they are not my favorite for the constant "in and out" use they get on a Camino.
I know what you mean about this. I’ve got used to folding the edges over when I hold the bottle.

I have read the whole series; it is a subject that gets everybody going; we all need water….

My wife and I have used the same bladders since 2017. No issues with taste or funkiness. We have had maintenance issues. The bite valves eventually break, and then start leaking. We were not able to replace the one that leaked on the Norte (after about 60 days of use over two long trips). The connector between the tube and the bladder usually has a small plastic parts that also get brittle and can break. When that happens, you are out of luck until you can find a new hose and connector that works with your system. You can make things last longer by lubrification with vegetable oil.
When these broke down on the second day of the Primitivo, I switched to a simple 500 ml spring water bottle with a push-pull nozzle to avoid backwash issues mentioned by @DyanTX . I have been a backpacker since the 1970’s, so it was back to usual for me….

It is nice to be able to fill the bladder as needed. A long un-supplied stage can require the full 2 liters. I did need to buy and extra bottle for a long stage on the Primitivo.

I agree that accessibility is an issue with some packs and bottles in side pockets. My Osprey was just ok - kept me stretching that arm to get it and putting it back required some faith.

The bladder sleeve has made sure that I learned of leaks directly without filling the pack with water…. They were always my fault. And only happened a couple of times.

I love the @davebugg complete gear reviews on every subject. True to form in this thread as well.

So, OP, you have a lot of advice and you can see that preferences vary a lot. You’ll have to try these out to see what you like. You’ve got the time…. ;)

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We buy standard supermarket water in plastic bottles on day 1. Thereafter discard the tops and screw on flip tops (100 yen shop I seem to recall).

Attachments

• 20220430_191020.jpg
    20220430_191020.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 20
So, OP, you have a lot of advice and you can see that preferences vary a lot. You’ll have to try these out to see what you like. You’ve got the time…. ;)
Your entire post is well written, lovely, and helpful.😊

I love the @davebugg complete gear reviews on every subject. True to form in this thread as well.
I agree! @davebugg is one of the most knowledgeable forum treasures we have on all things gear related, and a wise sage as well, when sharing his other opinions.

Kitchen scales can be bought cheaply at Bed bath and Beyond, any kitchen store, Amazon etc. I used mine a lot weighing all my gear :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
“If your bladder is a new model it shouldn’t leak.” Good comment. I agree. Which bladder? Which reminds me that the most important bladder our ancestors carried was the built in one. If it’s not filling up on its own, you are getting behind with the intake from whatever intake container you prefer. While our ancestors may not have done the only practical scientific method, by observing for pale yellow urine, to check hydration, they certainly had sensibilities for thirst.. Thirst can be blunted by a lack of attention, and, for some, old age. Among the myths about hydration is that you’re too late and a goner if you are thirsty. Commercial interests have filled us up with water anxiety. If you have a dry mouth , headache and fatigue and thirst, well then, you may be in trouble. Do drink generously before exertion, before leaving a good source. Our habit has been to take a brief rest stop about every hour, pay attention to our bladders, drink as indicated from our reused sports drink bottles and maybe snack. Shoes off, feet up and a little siesta occasionally is nice.

Last edited:

Is anyone concerned about bisphenols in their drinking water from plastic containers?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.