• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water in the Pyrenees

Camino Bear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles August 2016
Camino Frances June 2017 (SJPP to Logrono)
Hi Camino Friends!

I'll be walking from SJPDP to Orisson and then Orisson to Roncevalles next week. I'm trying to keep my pack light and am wondering how much water I'll have to carry. My questions is how many potable water fountains are there on this stretch of the Camino? Is the Roland fountain potable? This will help me figure out how much water to start my day with.

Thanks in advance!

Love, Light, and Courage,

Emily 'Camino Bear'

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From memory, nothing from SJPP to Orisson, but that's a short day, and then the fountain as you cross into Spain. How much will you need? Depends on the weather and also your own typical consumption. I drink 2l. of water a day here at home on a regular day, so I carry more than those who apparently have a camel gene in their DNA. I would say two liters both mornings, refil on day 2 at the fountain. If it were me, I would carry 3 if temps are high.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A note of caution on water...we did the day from SJPP to Roncesvalles at the end of October and a lot of people were caught out to find out that Orisson was closed. At the same time when we got to the Roland fountain there was a very slow trickle of water. Evidently earlier in the day there was a whole lot more, but the temperatures were very high and a lot of people were obviously using it. We did have a clever pilgrim who walked up the little hill behind the spout and lifted the concrete slab on the well that fed the spout(it is just on the trail about 20 meters up over the fountain) and we all got loads of cooling water that took us the rest of the way. I would advise two things, firstly ask at the camino centre in SJPP and don't make up your mind until you hear that advice, and secondly if you are worried about weight on the first day then water is the last thing to ditch especially when luggage can easily be sent over the hill to Roncesvcalles. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are fountains at the view point (6.5 km), Orisson (when it is not closed -well, not properly a public fountain), 7.5 km; Cruz de Roldán (16.5). Sometimes there is a van with a guy selling (overpriced) drinks and snacks, I think he is around km 13.
As for anecdots...I saw a couple of those cute Pyrineen horses happily licking the fawcet at the Roldan fountain. I suppose they were in the mood of sharing with us.

I wouldn't rely on the fountains running, especially in summer, but then I am paranoid about running out of water. Huntto and Orrisson will be open, so I would replenish there. Depending on the weather (ask pilgrims office for forecast) I would take at least two liters (more likely more) with me. And don't forget to take/eat also salt, you will sweat a lot! Buen Camino, SY

I took 1.25 liters last year and thought that would be enough. It wasn't! The day I made that walk It was in the high 80s F and that that stretch from SJPP to Orrison is brutal, with its assent up the Pyrenees. There is one water source on the way up, but it is not well marked and easy to miss, and I did miss it. Pack at least 2 liters, :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Several water fountains exist that are outside the normal itinerary ; but it's better instead to carry enough that day, and look forward to a lovely evening in Roncesvalles.

But I'd suggest 2-3 litres in simple plastic bottles from a French supermarket in SJPP -- carry on, and your health will keep you onwards

If you are walking the Valcarlos route do be aware that there are no services on this route after you leave Valcarlos village. However just east of Ibaneta there is a water spigot marked non-potable. Thus do carry trail supplies and water in order to be prepared.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you friends for all the help! All the info is very useful. I will be bringing at minimum 2 liters with me now. And if it's sunny and very warm, more!

Emily 'Camino Bear'

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back