Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water on Primitivo

Carlos Zenteno

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte / Primitivo - Mayo 2019
How is the water availability on the Primitivo? Are there plenty of fountains or do we have to carry lots?
Do we need to carry filter/treatment?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Carlos. It's generally fine. Except for one day on the Hospitales route where you have about 20k (mainly uphill) with no water sources. I would say even with a filter you would struggle as there is nothing there to filter! Wonderful route though. I think we carried 2.5 litres each to be safe. Enjoy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We carried 3 liters each and were glad we did. There was one Sunday when the only water source was in a little village and the restaurant was closed. An older lady was hanging out on her porch as pilgrims walked by and gave us water from her tap. It was very hot when we did the Primitivo and we are not fast walkers. So we needed the extra water to make the 20 and 25 km days. Fast walkers can make the distances faster but I didn't want to race to the next town. I didn't see any water on the Hospitales but that day was cooler so we didn't need as much, either. You will probably be fine with 2 liters. Just top off whenever you get the chance.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back