• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water on the Frances

mxb

Water. Hi everybody. I can't figure out how to start a new thread and couldn't find one for water. I have an Osprey Kestrel that has a water bladder compartment, but it doesn't seem that the bladder would be necessary as from SJPP to Santiago has so many towns to pass through, each with water for thirsty pilgrims. Or would it be preferable to carry the bladder rather than water bottles? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Prospero ano Nuevo a todos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
that is a personal choice; you do have to take water with you in any case. My choice is two 0.5 L plastic bottles in a location that is reachable without taking off my rucksack, but the camel bag can be a good choice too.

Buen camino!

I took a water bladder because I found I drank more water with it... it was much easier for me to stay hydrated with the tube next to me, versus having to try and reach behind me for a bottle. It was worth the extra weight to me. However, water is available every few miles, so it's certainly not a necessity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like having my 1.5 liter bladder with me at all times. I drink quite a bit of water during the day while walking. There are some days when I know I'll want to have it all the way full and others when I'm sure I'll not drink as much so having less water weight helps. I usually supplement with an Aquarius or two (like Gatorade) a Fanta as a special treat since I normally don't drink sodas. Especially if walking in the hotter days, I like to fill the bladder at night and place in refrigerator (if available) so I'll have colder water to start the day. Same could be done with a bottle as well.

Not really necessary as much as preference. I think this could be said for almost all aspects of the Camino.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

that is a personal choice; you do have to take water with you in any case. My choice is two 0.5 L plastic bottles in a location that is reachable without taking off my rucksack, but the camel bag can be a good choice too.

Buen camino!

This is how it worked for me.
Every time I could top of my bottles I did, and I never ran out of water during my walk.
And yes. I only drank fountain or tap water.

Buen Camino
Lettingo

I used water bottles, which I refilled from taps/fountains. When I return, though, I would buy bottled water between Burgos and Lyon, as lots of people got sick there.

If you decide on a bladder, it's worth thinking about the practicalities of keeping it and the tube clean.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Water. Hi everybody. I can't figure out how to start a new thread and couldn't find one for water. I have an Osprey Kestrel that has a water bladder compartment, but it doesn't seem that the bladder would be necessary as from SJPP to Santiago has so many towns to pass through, each with water for thirsty pilgrims. Or would it be preferable to carry the bladder rather than water bottles? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Prospero ano Nuevo a todos.

I carry one small water bottle and fill it up in each village, when necessary.
I'm not a big water drinker though.
I walked 6 miles today and didn't drink once.
I drink before… and after.

I met a Spaniard on the Aragones last year that didn't carry a drop of water.
He did carry an apple and an orange.
Then he drank his fill at each fountain.

MXB:

Potable water is commonly available on most of the Camino Frances every few kilometers or so. The primary stretch where having more water is a good idea is on the Meseta portion, from Burgos to Leon. Available fuentes (fountains), cafes and other services are fewer and farther between.

On my first Camino last year, I used an Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack. When I purchased it, I also bought the 2-liter Osprey water bladder. I even trained with it a couple of times. It worked well enough, and as advertised.

As I was training, I continued to search for the "best" water carry solution for me. When I read this forum, searching for "water bottle" I found that a very large tranche of people indicated a very strong preference for using plain plastic / PET bottled water bottles in sizes ranging from .5 liter to 1.5 miler as the "ideal" Camino water bottle. The typical method of carrying said bottle(s) was either in mesh side packets on a rucksack or somehow attached to their rucksack sideways - for the larger bottles.

All of my research gradually led me to the realization and finding that the Osprey bladder weighed 11 ounces / 312 gms when empty and nearly five-pounds / 2.3 kg when full to the brim. One .5 liter water bottle (Vittel) weighs 0.6 ounces / 17 gms empty, or 2.4 ounces / 68 gms for 4 empty bottles. This alone saved nearly nine ounces / 244 gms in empty container weight.

One thing you learn (or should learn early) is that ounces and grams quickly add up to pounds and kilograms. And carrying one pound less can actually be felt. So when planning and buying for a Camino, shave every ounce or gram that you can reasonably do so.

Another thing I learned my first day out on the Camino is that carrying weight, especially water, on the FRONT of your rucksack harness is a brilliant thing. I was taught this lesson by a group of New Zealand folks who wore rucksacks made by AARN (www.aarnpacks.com). These rucksacks have a special shoulder and chest harness that holds two, accessory "chest packs." AARN call them "balance pockets."

Each chest pack is conformable to one's figure (note ladies) and has a stretchy pouch holding at least a liter of anything. They carried their water bottles there. The simply brilliant result is that, by shifting - say 2 kg / 2 liters of water from the back to the front, they shifted their center of gravity. Doing this allowed them to walk more upright. This provided increased stability when climbing up and walking down hills and resulted in less back and shoulder strain.

I spoke to everyone I saw with these rucksacks along the way and they all loved them. This is where I note that there distribution network is strongest in New Zealand and Australia, and the packs are very expensive. They DO have a US web site. I am uncertain what their European network is like.

I any event, among the findings I made before leaving home was that the empty Osprey bladder was not worth the weight, in view of the small PET bottle comparison, above. So, I sterilized it stored it, and recently gave it away.

Eventually, shortly before leaving on my Camino last year, I happened to see and buy four of these: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp I recall they cost about USD 3.95 each. They are available online. I found that my local shops prefer to spend the more profitable, but heavier when empty plastic or metal water bottles.

I continue to feel (personal opinion here) that the ubiquitous PET water bottles available everywhere make the ideal water bottle for the Camino. They are lightweight when empty, reusable, recyclable, you do not have to clean them other than a daily rinse, and they are easily replaced at nil cost. Conversely, a bladder MAY be more effort than it is worth. But that is an individual decision.

Some folks even consider using empty PET bottles with a long plastic straw from a mesh side pocket instead of the bladder. These straw systems are cheap and available at Amazon in the US and UK. See these links:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar02-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Desert...arTube - the drinking system for Sigg Bottles

So, on balance (no pun intended) I am leaning again towards using the Nite Ize Drink-n-Clips to use more bottles containing more water, but arrayed on the front of my torso to counter-balance the rucksack weight.

There is no right solution or one way to sort this out. But the correct way for you is the one that works best given your waking style, weight carrying ability and need for hydration. Everyone is different. Suffice it to say that there are a load of alternative solutions out there.

I hope this helps.

It's better to sip then to gulp your water. Which points to a bladder being better.

It also depends on the weather. During the height of summer I might drink six litres of water. During the depths of winter maybe one.

The basic rule is to replace the water you sweat out etc with the water you take in. It doesn't need to be water. Soup obviously is mainly water. But so are things like fruits.

If it is summer and you're sweating like a fountain then you need to think about your diet. All that sweat is flushing your body of mineral salts.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My backpack came with great convenient space for a bladder. Nevertheless, I opted to not use it and use water bottles instead. I bought half liter size water bottles at the tiendas and reused them until I lost them or they wouldn't work any more. From SJPdP to SdC I only needed three bottles! A great savings in weight, convenience, and recycling. Look closely at my avatar and you'll see me sipping wine from the wine fountain using one of these water bottles.

I topped off at bars and fountains with potable water.

I was always aware of how much water I drank in relation to how many times I'd need to use the bathroom. Some stretches of the CF can be challenging and borderline dangerous if the weather is too hot and you don't have water with you. Better safe than sorry - always carry more than you think you need. But your judgement will improve as you go along.

1ltr of water =1kg. Bring 2 500ml bottles of water and a litre of water in your water bladder in case you need it. Like what was said before it depends on the weather, how fit you are and the weight of your back pack. If you sweat a lot when walking you should try using electrolytes .

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.