• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water on the walk

J F Gregory

Camino Frances , Camino Primavito 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2021, Frances and Prima
My wife and I are walking our pilgrimage in March 2016. Here in Washington we hike in the mountains and carry a water bladder when full weighs about 5 lbs. Since there are water sources on the Camino would it be easier to carry a water bottle since the don't weigh as much. We drink a lot of water.
Thanks Fred Gregory

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I are walking our pilgrimage in March 2016. Here in Washington we hike in the mountains and carry a water bladder when full weighs about 5 lbs. Since there are water sources on the Camino would it be easier to carry a water bottle since the don't weigh as much. We drink a lot of water.
Thanks Fred Gregory

Fred

I only carry a 750 ml water bottle myself whatever time of year it is and hydrate before I leave and at cafes ...water fonts...top the bottle up as and when.......never had any problems with drinking from fonts etc....

I walked both the CF (2010) and CI (2014) with a 2 li bladder that I filled each day and often re-filled. I walked in Apr and early May, and still found many fonts dry then on the CF. On the CI I didn't bother looking for fonts, but checked my bladder and topped it up when I stopped for coffee or lunch, around about every two hours.

To me, it comes down to how often you are going to stop to refill, whether you use a bottle or bladder. You will hear a lot of stuff and nonsense about the cleanliness of bladders, but if you are already using one, I expect you now how to care for its cleanliness, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Remember that for most of the CF, legs between towns and villages are between one and two hours walking, with a fair number between two and three hours. I have posted a summary of this elsewhere on the forum in one of the other regular discussions on this topic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked both the CF (2010) and CI (2014) with a 2 li bladder that I filled each day and often re-filled. I walked in Apr and early May, and still found many fonts dry then on the CF. On the CI I didn't bother looking for fonts, but checked my bladder and topped it up when I stopped for coffee or lunch, around about every two hours.

To me, it comes down to how often you are going to stop to refill, whether you use a bottle or bladder. You will hear a lot of stuff and nonsense about the cleanliness of bladders, but if you are already using one, I expect you now how to care for its cleanliness, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Remember that for most of the CF, legs between towns and villages are between one and two hours walking, with a fair number between two and three hours. I have posted a summary of this elsewhere on the forum in one of the other regular discussions on this topic.

I'm still not sure which I prefer. The bladder when full was quite heavy, and I could be tempted to just carry a bottle in future.

But......

Even with a 2 litre bladder, plus an 'emergency' 500 ml bottle I ran out two or three times......... It made for an uncomfortable few hours. Even the start of dehydration is not fun if you are carrying muscle or tendon injuries.

Just be aware that there are sections where water stops are quite wide apart. And if it is warm, you'll drink a lot more. Also as Doug points out, just because there is a font on the map does not mean that a) it is running or b) that it is safe to drink. (One I was relying on, had a non potable sign once I got to it)

On a couple of quite 'dry' sections there would be an umbrella with a drinks stand just when I needed it. But you can't bank on them being there.......

I think I would still carry the bladder. Plus a bottle that would be filled as required for a bit extra. Better safe than sorry.

Sidenote: On one of the quite dry days........into Estella I think. About 8kms from the next water stop on a very hot day.....I had to run for the bushes! Low on water, and with the runs. Oh great! I popped a couple of Immodium so as not to lose any more fluids ;) My extra 500 ml bottle really helped that day.

The one downside I found with the bladder, was not being able to see how full it was. Partly the reason I carried a small 'extra' bottle. A bottle is more obvious and you would tend to fill it at every opportunity. Whereas with a bladder, that was somewhat hidden, I tended to think I had enough........

A couple of times I got a shock as I sucked on the bladder and found it was empty...... So next time I would make sure I monitored the bladder water level more carefully. Not hard to do, just by slipping a hand into the pack and 'feeling' how full it is.

Afternote: Re bladder cleaning. I washed mine about once a week using denture cleaning tablets. Drop a tablet in the bladder, swish it around. Release some of the contents through the drinking tube. Give the bite valve a good rinse. Then leave it for a couple of hours. Finally rinse through with clean water.

Never had a problem. The one small problem I had above was due to something I had eaten :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carried bottles on one Camino and had a bladder on the 2nd--and found the bladder preferable.
The added benefit is that I could drink whenever I liked, without contorting or taking off the pack. So it was easy to drink a little, often--and I stayed better hydrated. And this was early March to mid-April. In the heat that would be even more important.
[Edit...I drink a lot, too...so a 3 L bladder suited me down to the ground.]

Fred

as you probably are aware being a walker just drinking lots of water flushes your natural mineral sources away,fine for one day .....so adding natural sugar free electrolytes in tablet form to your water keeps you mineral levels topped up and helps prevent cramp.....you can buy these in Pharmacy's just ask for ~"aqua mineral natural"comes in a tube(used to be in sachets )..when your water bottle gets low just top the mix up..rinse out bottle end of use everyday.

one tablet a day....or two if your prefer....avoid grapefruit version if on statins.........you have a REI store 5.9 miles from your location.
they sell the ones in a tube....worth bringing a tube to start you off...

Fred

as you probably are aware being a walker just drinking lots of water flushes your natural mineral sources away,fine for one day .....so adding natural sugar free electrolytes in tablet form to your water keeps you mineral levels topped up and helps prevent cramp.....you can buy these in Pharmacy's just ask for ~"aqua mineral natural"comes in a tube(used to be in sachets )..when your water bottle gets low just top the mix up..rinse out bottle end of use everyday.

one tablet a day....or two if your prefer....avoid grapefruit version if on statins.........you have a REI store 5.9 miles from your location.

Good tip! I started carrying hydration mix (powder form) in my 'spare' 500 ml water bottle, with plain water in the bladder. I'd sip the hydration mix through the day.

Then I got lazy and bought bottles of Aquarius (sports drink). But I think like most sports drinks they have too much sugar in them. My excuse for putting on weight :oops:

If you are starting to feel weary at the end of a long day though........a bottle of Aquarius will give you a boost!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome to the forum Fred. I use two .75L water bottles and a smartube now, on the first Camino I just used the bottles but got dehydrated a few times because I didn't want to stop and take the bottle out of the side pocket. the smartube allows you to sip on a regular basis. I also brought along the rehydration sachets but gave most away to people in trouble, mostly young people overdoing it. I topped up at fountains as far as Logrono but was advised to avoid the fountains after that so I just topped up at cafe's or bars or just bought water and discarded the old bottles.
I wish you and your wife a safe and Buen Camino.

@Robo , Aquarius is available in a "libre" version, or sugar free. Avaialble is many bars and all largish grocery stores in the 1.5l. format.

While I am personally a proponent of using multiple .5 liter reusable water bottles attached to the front of my rucksack, to shift some weight to the front, there is another important point that has not been mentioned.

Across the Camino Frances, there are many fuentes located in rural areas. Many of these areas are also agricultural areas. Some of the farming areas have shallow springs or wells supplying them that have been contaminated by overuse of pesticides and fertilizer.

The point of this, and a good rule of thumb, is that tap water in towns can be presumed potable, like in cafes, albergues, and hostels. On other stretches, pilgrims are advised to carry extra water, as the fountains / fuentes are likely contaminated.

Over the past several years, most of the reported cases of gastrointestinal illness could be traced to using "sketchy" Fuentes / fountains. In particular, the segment from Carrion de los Condes to Sahagun is such a "dry" stretch. However, towns like Moratinos enjoy safe, potable "city water" supplies.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Fred Gregory
Hi Fred, I will carry only 2 half liter bottles when empty by a new one ore fill them again in a bar.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I second the Smartube. It allows for the convenient sipping of a bladder system with the size, the ability to see how much is left, and easy to refill qualities of cheap disposable plastic bottles. I would carry 1 l. And refill frequently.
I have walked with just bottles, a 2.5 l. Bladder and the Smartube and find the Smartube the best for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
While I am personally a proponent of using multiple .5 liter reusable water bottles attached to the front of my rucksack, to shift some weight to the front, there is another important point that has not been mentioned.

Across the Camino Frances, there are many fuentes located in rural areas. Many of these areas are also agricultural areas. Some of the farming areas have shallow springs or wells supplying them that have been contaminated by overuse of pesticides and fertilizer.

The point of this, and a good rule of thumb, is that tap water in towns can be presumed potable, like in cafes, albergues, and hostels. On other stretches, pilgrims are advised to carry extra water, as the fountains / fuentes are likely contaminated.

Over the past several years, most of the reported cases of gastrointestinal illness could be traced to using "sketchy" Fuentes / fountains. In particular, the segment from Carrion de los Condes to Sahagun is such a "dry" stretch. However, towns like Moratinos enjoy safe, potable "city water" supplies.

I hope this helps.

Hiya, this is good to know thanks. I have bought a Sawyer mini water filtration system which removes bacteria, protozoa, & cysts, that will fit on straw, bottle, or bladder, also, a pocket purifier straw that allows me to drink straight out of a stream, etc... I bought these for hiking here in the USA.

Filtered for what? It would be normal treated tap water.

thanks, u answered my question (normal treated tap water), so it would have chemicals in the water... some places have a filter system to take out harmful chemicals & add back in the essential minerals... so what I am hearing is the safest water is plastic/glass bottled water! Buen camino, c

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hiya, this is good to know thanks. I have bought a Sawyer mini water filtration system which removes bacteria, protozoa, & cysts, that will fit on straw, bottle, or bladder, also, a pocket purifier straw that allows me to drink straight out of a stream, etc... I bought these for hiking here in the USA.

Hi
Great product for hiking off the beaten track ... I have never had a problem from any font or fast flowing stream ..I don't buy bottled water or filter anything....no problem from albergue tap water cafe etc....

some people get ill because of there hygiene and assume or blame the water.........there are one or two drinking troughs with a tap above meant for animals.

I last used my high end water filter to filter water in south america...your find ample places to re fill without bringing a filter ...up to you..

the water is treated yes.......bothers some people..a lot of water in Spain now is desalinated from the sea ..or from deep bores.....

[QUOTE="t2andreo, post: 344397, member: 25553" Snip...................
.....Over the past several years, most of the reported cases of gastrointestinal illness could be traced to using "sketchy" Fuentes / fountains. In particular, the segment from Carrion de los Condes to Sahagun is such a "dry" stretch. However, towns like Moratinos enjoy safe, potable "city water" supplies.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I have ever seen evidence tracing gastrointestinal illness to village fountains that are not marked as non-potable.
I have used fountains on most of the Camino routes and have not had a problem.
I am somewhat susceptible to stomach problems so probably would have had trouble if it were there.

It is always easy to blame the water for problems when,in fact, there is usually not a widespread outbreak that would occur if the problem was a common source.

Is there evidence that I have missed or overlooked?

thanks, u answered my question (normal treated tap water), so it would have chemicals in the water... some places have a filter system to take out harmful chemicals & add back in the essential minerals... so what I am hearing is the safest water is plastic/glass bottled water! Buen camino, c
It is rarely true that bottled water is any better than water properly treated by the municipal authorities. Unless, of course, you believe the marketing hype of the companies selling bottled water, who clearly have a vested interest in convincing you to buy water in the most expensive way possible.

Clearly there are still places around the world where reticulated water is not safe to drink, and treated water needs to be purchased for health reasons, but Spain is not one of those places.

Further, all water has chemicals in it, as does all food, dihydrogen monoxide being fairly common in both! If you are concerned to eliminate chemicals, there is nothing left.:(

You are in Europe. You can drink the tap water. Fill up your cheap plastic bottle in the albergue in the morning before you leave. Top up in bars along the way (from their tap water). Replace the bottle when it starts going a bit green :p. Jill (where water is precious).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are bacteria in our stomach and in our intestine. They are necessary to digest the food but sometimes they can get out of control and make us get ill. The way to control these bacteria is through the immune system which requires a good feeding and hydration to work correctly.

Activities such as trekking or hiking for a long time often imply a poor or inadequate nutrition or an excesive waste of nutrients which means that the immune system goes weaker and unable to control the natural bacteria population.

Then, we tend to blame on 'new' water or food.

It is not a bad thing to carry nutritional supplements which ensure a minimun replacement of minerals as iron, magnesium, potasium... Almonds, nuts, salted peanuts are aswell a source of minerals.

Anyway if you don't trust in spanish water you can carry tablets to make it potable.

Hi Caneadea,

I don't know what the water quality is in the US, but in Europe, most of the tests conducted by consumers organizations are showing a better quality for the tap water than for the bottled water...

And Spain has a very good reputation for water handling!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Fred

great advice as although i was drinking plenty water i found my hands and toes cramping . sorted very quickly by taking elecrolytes..

A good simple source of electrolytes in Spain is the drink Aquarius.
It is used by many of us here on the forum.
Available in lemon and naranja flavors at markets and bars. Much cheaper in markets, of course.
On hot days, I often order an Aquarius with ice with lunch or coffee break.

My post was intended as advice. The time of year you walk and the rainfall over the past months will affect the relative safety of the spring or well-fed fuente.

The wetter the season, the safer the water source is likely to be. However, during the dry hot summer, dilution factors are severely reduced.

If in doubt, it is probably best to err on the safe side. Personally, I suggest that having a gastrointestinal "issue" while walking a Camino is probably the worst thing that can happen to most folks. Think about it..,

Aquarius is my drink of choice too - about €1.50 per 1.5 litre bottle and even better when found in the CocaCola chilled drinks cabinet - best taken with 150g of Nestle chocolate - repeat throughout day depending on temperature and availability of supermercados

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I chose to carry a one and half litre plastic bottle and a small reserve plastic bottle. Most of the time I used the large bottle and carried it in a lightweight carrier that could be worn in several different ways so distributing the weight and not always having it on my back. I filled it from the taps in the Albergues and topped it up with water from the many fuente's on route and occasionally with bottled water. A lot of fuente's were labelled potable or non potable. If in doubt I did not use it. The longest stretch with no facilities was about 17km. The Brierley guidebook usually gave a good indication of when the next fuente or cafe might be. Tap water was absolutely fine to drink, and I also drank it with pilgrim meals too. We were on the camino in April and May when it was not really that hot most days. I had no problems getting enough water. I also drank a lot after arriving at an Albergues and in the early evening to be sure I would not get dehydrated. There were a couple of days when it was hot and I filled up my little bottle too on those days.

Great info here folks. I would think at the cafes & refuges along the way you can fill up your bottles. My concerns is from SJPDP to Roncesvalles there is only 1 stop....Orisson. After I filled up at Orisson there is still 20Km of grueling hike to Roncesvalles and there is NOTHING in between! Does this mean I will have to really load up with water at Orisson? (weight is my concern here and I do drink a lot, especially when hot). Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, there is a font (fuente) 9 kms after Orisson, when crossing from France into Spain. Jill

On my September jaunt I bought a 500 ml bottle of water together with a sandwich and used both when strolling over the Pyrenees - by memory their was a fountain somewhere at the top well after Orisson. Never filled it up after the mountain stage but kept it in my bag for the duration just in case, I finally binned it at the airport on the way home.

Great info here folks. I would think at the cafes & refuges along the way you can fill up your bottles. My concerns is from SJPDP to Roncesvalles there is only 1 stop....Orisson. After I filled up at Orisson there is still 20Km of grueling hike to Roncesvalles and there is NOTHING in between! Does this mean I will have to really load up with water at Orisson? (weight is my concern here and I do drink a lot, especially when hot). Thanks.
It is a good idea to spend the first night at Orisson to break up the journey as this is the most difficult part of the Camino Frances so no need to do it all at once. It is a great place to stay as there is a shared meal and the atmosphere is really good. Everyone is asked to say where they are from and why they are on the Camino. It is a good way to meet other pilgrims who you will see again as you are walking. You can of course get water there. I think there was a fuente just right outside that everyone could fill up at. You would still need a decent amount of water to get to Roncesvalles but at least you won't be hot and tired from doing that first 8km which is pretty much straight up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a good idea to spend the first night at Orisson to break up the journey as this is the most difficult part of the Camino Frances so no need to do it all at once. It is a great place to stay as there is a shared meal and the atmosphere is really good. Everyone is asked to say where they are from and why they are on the Camino. It is a good way to meet other pilgrims who you will see again as you are walking. You can of course get water there. I think there was a fuente just right outside that everyone could fill up at. You would still need a decent amount of water to get to Roncesvalles but at least you won't be hot and tired from doing that first 8km which is pretty much straight up.
I forgot to say you need to book if you want to stay at Orisson.

Thanks Fred Gregory

I am on the Camino right now. Staying tonight in La Casa Magica in Villatuerta . I am carrying a 64 oz bladder and I filled it twice today walking from Obamos which is a little over 20K. I would suggest you each get a 64oz bladder. Got mine at Walmart for $12.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum Fred. I use two .75L water bottles and a smartube now, on the first Camino I just used the bottles but got dehydrated a few times because I didn't want to stop and take the bottle out of the side pocket. the smartube allows you to sip on a regular basis. I also brought along the rehydration sachets but gave most away to people in trouble, mostly young people overdoing it. I topped up at fountains as far as Logrono but was advised to avoid the fountains after that so I just topped up at cafe's or bars or just bought water and discarded the old bottles.

Wayfarer, I just bought a smartube for my Camino next spring, but the top doesn't screw on properly and keeps poping off the bottle. Any suggestions? And just when I had decided that this would be my hydration choice for the journey!

I am on the Camino right now. Staying tonight in La Casa Magica in Villatuerta . I am carrying a 64 oz bladder and I filled it twice today walking from Obamos which is a little over 20K. I would suggest you each get a 64oz bladder. Got mine at Walmart for $12.

Consider only carrying the water you need. Water is heavy and can add to the problems some have with pack weight.
The 64 oz (above) is about 1.9 liters and would weigh about 4 pounds. If you only require 1 liter with you at a time...you save 2 pounds on your back. It is really an individual thing as to requirements. We can't tell others what they will need.
I only carry two 1/2 ltr bottles and refill during the day if needed. That works perfectly for me. Others report that they need more.

The point is that carrying an extra liter of water that you don't drink or need is carrying an extra unused 2.2 pounds (1 liter equals 1 kilo or 2.2 pounds)
Thus: 1 liter 2.2 lbs
2 liter 4.4 lbs
3 liter 6.6 lbs
4 liter 8.8 lbs :eek:

Do what fits your needs. Weather will make a difference.

Consider only carrying the water you need. Water is heavy and can add to the problems some have with pack weight.
The 64 oz (above) is about 1.9 liters and would weigh about 4 pounds. If you only require 1 liter with you at a time...you save 2 pounds on your back. It is really an individual thing as to requirements. We can't tell others what they will need.
I only carry two 1/2 ltr bottles and refill during the day if needed. That works perfectly for me. Others report that they need more.

The point is that carrying an extra liter of water that you don't drink or need is carrying an extra unused 2.2 pounds (1 liter equals 1 kilo or 2.2 pounds)
Thus: 1 liter 2.2 lbs
2 liter 4.4 lbs
3 liter 6.6 lbs
4 liter 8.8 lbs :eek:

Do what fits your needs. Weather will make a difference.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just bought a smartube for my Camino next spring, but the top doesn't screw on properly and keeps poping off the bottle. Any suggestions by any of you who have used this? And just when I had decided that this would be my hydration choice for the journey!

I carried a 1 ltr bottle (collapsible) which I used extensively, I also carried a bladder (other than the one that I was born with ;)) because I was worried about the Meseta. Carry both, in my opinion, to be safe. You will need to hydrate ! If you don't need the bladder, it collapses and weighs only ounces. Don't be fooled, you will still need to hydrate in the cooler months.

Buen Camino

I just bought a smartube for my Camino next spring, but the top doesn't screw on properly and keeps poping off the bottle. Any suggestions by any of you who have used this? And just when I had decided that this would be my hydration choice for the journey!
Try a Camelbak Eddy.

The thread on the bottles where you live might be different to the smartube thread, I know the Spanish bottles worked with mine, if its not that then the smartube thread may be damaged and you should look for a replacement.

The Smatube comes with 3 different lids. The bottles in Spain require that you use the two small ones in combination.

Good tip! I started carrying hydration mix (powder form) in my 'spare' 500 ml water bottle, with plain water in the bladder. I'd sip the hydration mix through the day.

Then I got lazy and bought bottles of Aquarius (sports drink). But I think like most sports drinks they have too much sugar in them. My excuse for putting on weight :oops:

If you are starting to feel weary at the end of a long day though........a bottle of Aquarius will give you a boost!

I learned that I worked best with one bottle of water and one of Aquarius, it really helped me on the hot days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I justify the sugar with the fact that the sugar is metabolised to water. Every water molecule counts!

If I'm going to carry water, the easiest way is a camelback. The easier it is for me to drink water, the more I'll stay hydrated. If you're worried about the weight of a full bladder, then I just wouldn't fill it all the way up! But, a 2 liter bladder gets lighter as you drink it all day!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back