• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water pouch and taste

Pronetowander

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2019 Primitivo
Sept-Oct 2021 Frances
I am on day 3 of Primitivo and loving it. Bought a 2 litre water pouch and delighted that it fitted so snuggly into my backpack. And it is so convienant. But after its sitting for more that an hour the water tastes so terrible. I feel like i am drinking a mouthful of chemicals every time I take a sip. Yesterday I emptied out the water at a water spring and filled it with fresh9 water and it was great for an hour but then the chemical taste came back.

Am I doing something wrong? What has been the experience of other water pouch users? Mine is an Asprey 2 litres.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you mean Osprey? They are a reliable manufacturer. Try filling it with water and baking soda for an hour, then rinsing it thoroughly. Lemon juice mixture might also work. My Camelbaks do not have that problem.

I am on day 3 of Primitivo and loving it. Bought a 2 litre water pouch and delighted that it fitted so snuggly into my backpack. And it is so convienant. But after its sitting for more that an hour the water tastes so terrible. I feel like i am drinking a mouthful of chemicals every time I take a sip. Yesterday I emptied out the water at a water spring and filled it with fresh9 water and it was great for an hour but then the chemical taste came back.

Am I doing something wrong? What has been the experience of other water pouch users? Mine is an Asprey 2 litres.
In 2017 I also used a 2 litre water pouch and found the same chemical taste. In the end I couldn't put up with it any longer and used a water bottle filled with ordinary tap water. No funny taste! I must say that 1. The water in the pouch tasting so dreadful didn't do me any harm and 2. It didn't matter if you filled the pouch with tap OR bottled water the taste was still bad. Anyone know why?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I googled the problem much info there.

Do you mean Osprey? They are a reliable manufacturer. Try filling it with water and baking soda for an hour, then rinsing it thoroughly. Lemon juice mixture might also work. My Camelbaks do not have that problem.
Thank you for quick reply falcon269, jerbear and jo king. My new Osprey is now filled with baking soda and lemon juice mix and I will leave it overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I also purchased this hydration system and what the manufacturer recommend you do before using is to fill the pouch 3/4 with water and the juice of one lemon and then leave in the freezer overnight until completely frozen then let it sit in the sink and slowly defrost then rinse out and that takes that plastic chemical taste away but just make sure you only fill it 3/4 to allow for the ice to expand. This def works better than just doing the baking soda and lemon! 👍🏼

Overnight with simply vinegar, a good rinse in the morning, a good one since you are going to pour in a baking soda/water mixture which will bubble furiously if you don't, rinse well again since baking soda also doesn't taste nice, but you should be ready to go.

I also purchased this hydration system and what the manufacturer recommend you do before using is to fill the pouch 3/4 with water and the juice of one lemon and then leave in the freezer overnight until completely frozen then let it sit in the sink and slowly defrost then rinse out and that takes that plastic chemical taste away but just make sure you only fill it 3/4 to allow for the ice to expand. This def works better than just doing the baking soda and lemon! 👍🏼
Thank you so much. Because I live in a more remote country I could only buy my Camino kit in a short space of time before leaving and never read the instructions properly. I was learning how to use it once I arrived in Spain. Not very clever but so glad I posted this on the Forum and got all your tips. 😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.