• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

water quality

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
I am six weeks away from starting my first Camino and have recently seen discussions on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook page regarding water quality. I am not sure which route was taken, but at least two who commented were sick in the last 100 km to Santiago. They suggest we should buy bottled water (something I am usually opposed to) instead of using the potable water in towns or in hostels on the route. What is the experience of people walking this year?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never ever never had problems with water, any open water source along the Camino is clearly marked potable or non-potable. Sounds more like funky chorizos - worried at dinnertimes? Drink wine! A better option in any case!!

No problems with water quality in terms of getting ill, though my fussy but lovely friend found the taste to be a bit off at times on our journey from Sarria, so we bought water or just drank something else.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I seem to be more susceptible to water issues, so I brought a water bottle with a filter in it. I used it to drink from village fountains, bathroom sinks, etc, and never had any stomach issues from water. When I did have tummy trouble, I could safely attribute it to funky milk in the coffee (so I switched to straight espresso after the second week), and one very very bad plate of paella in Sarria. Buen camino!

I seem to be more susceptible to water issues, so I brought a water bottle with a filter in it. I used it to drink from village fountains, bathroom sinks, etc, and never had any stomach issues from water. When I did have tummy trouble, I could safely attribute it to funky milk in the coffee (so I switched to straight espresso after the second week), and one very very bad plate of paella in Sarria. Buen camino!
This is the water bottle I brought. I still have it and use it at home now, too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BJKQ27/?tag=casaivar02-20

No water issues at all on my four Camino's...but I am fussy where I refill my water bottles. I stay away from any of the random fonts found scattered throughout the countryside. Even if it says potable, how often is it tested?
Typically I fill my bottles at the albergue I am staying at in the morning. If I need refills during the day, I will ask wherever I stop for coffee for a refill and they always are happy to do so.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The reports of sickness from water is most often wrong. People get stomach problems and the easiest thing to point to is the water they drank that day. If, in fact, a water source was the problem there would be an abergue full of people with the same problems.
If only one person is ill....it is not a common source.

I take a filter bottle too, but with a smaller filter, mostly to make the tap or fuente water taste better. I also take a collapsible water bag, so if I need more than the 0.6L the bottle takes, I fill the bag with tap water and then refill the bottle. This is the one I use.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As nidarosa so aptly noted, the Brita water bottles, pitchers, and any of the other Brita products will reduce the levels of chlorine and certain metals in water. I want to just reiterate that Brita -- and other similar type filters -- do not do a thing to eliminate or reduce the pathogens which are what make people ill from contaminated water. The filters are not designed to remove viruses, bacteria, or protozoa. From the Brita website: "....filters use coconut-based activated carbon with ion exchange resin in a BPA-free housing to reduce chlorine taste and odor, zinc, and the health contaminants copper, cadmium and mercury."

There is a lightweight collapsible bottle/filter by Katadyn -- the BeFree -- which does a thorough job of filtering biologically contaminated water, for those who want such. I've used it on thru hikes of the Pacific Crest Trail and Colorado Trail, and all of my other backpacking trips.

I will also echo what has been said before.... that Spain's water systems for potable water are modern and the equivalent of other EU countries and other 1st world countries. For those with normally functioning immune systems, there is no need for concern about the sanitary nature of Spanish water obtained from potable sources.

I have walked a total of 72 days on 2 trips along the Camino Frances and I only drank tap water. I used a bladder system and filled it from any source that was marked "potable" and never had any issues. Too many "different" foods than one is used to, may be the more likely cause.

I drank tap water all along the Camino Frances and I have drunk tap water in various other places in Spain without any issues.

And as others mentioned, there are plenty of reasons a person could get sick that have nothing to do with water. I was sick in the last 100km also - worst stomach illness that I ever had - but I would be very surprised if it was the water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone must do what they think is right for them.
I have walked 11 times on Camino routes in France, Spain and Portugal and recently from Canterbury to Rome. I have never used any water other than that from taps in hotels, ostellos, albergues, bathrooms, wherever, without ever feeling the need to make enquiries. And I use taps along the route without any anxiety.
I am yet to be sick.
I use a water bladder in my rucksack. I recently replaced one that was six years old. Every so often I remembered that I should perhaps clean it - but I never did.
I am a retired physician with much experience of the effects of water-borne pathogens, especially in rural Africa.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Glad to see so many people here who agree it s not necessary , nor advisable even, to buy bottled water. The last thing we need is more Plastic!

Most stomach upsets along the camino come from that pilgrim who didn't wash their hands after using the lavatory, and used the same door handle as you did after you washed your hands; from the chef who made the same error you did; from that chorizo thats been resting on a platter of tapas for most of a warm afternoon; from that ensalada mixta thats been somewhat loosely covered in cattle country in the fly season; from that nice fruit smoothie blended in that blender that hasn't been rinsed since last Sunday: and occasionally from the water in that lovely cool fuente that the locals wouldn't use to wash their feet.

Those risks understood I'd figure that I'm safe enough drinking the water the locals drink. And eating where they eat too - you won't see many queuing up for the menu peregrino ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They suggest we should buy bottled water

If you do that, buy two 500ml plastic bottles at the start of your camino, and refill them with tap water, or potable fuente (drinkable fountain) water, as you go along. When the bottles start going green inside, then ditch them (in a suitable recyclable container), and buy two more.

I promise you will not get sick from the water.

Jill

I am six weeks away from starting my first Camino and have recently seen discussions on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook page regarding water quality. I am not sure which route was taken, but at least two who commented were sick in the last 100 km to Santiago. They suggest we should buy bottled water (something I am usually opposed to) instead of using the potable water in towns or in hostels on the route. What is the experience of people walking this year?
I find water in the larger towns to be horrible to drink but perfectly safe. From fountains along the way, water tastes much better and once again perfectly safe. I can only pass on this suggestion and since I do not use a bladder, I cant say its true. After many miles and weeks, the hydration bladder can have a build up of bacteria causing stomach problems. I personally only use bottles that get a good clean out every few days. It does seem strange does it not that few if any have any problems in the early part of the camino before the germs build up in the equipment. I did once, when my bottle got broken, buy bottled water and reuse the bottle for a few days before disposing of it. Personally, I have never had any problems with the water other than the heavily chlorinated taste in a few places

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is more seafood served the last 100km. I wonder if that is more suspect. Also lemon wedges cut with unclean knives, and they sit out on the counter. I filled my water bottle (stainless -reusable) daily. My straw got a bit dirty so I cleaned it. There are many studies. I didn’t spend a lot of effort looking, but I’d avoid lemon in your coke or water, or squeezed on your seafood. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4659168

Last edited:

I used the tap water all along without any problems. Took a little water filter and never used it. Here at home I have been using a Brita filter pitcher. When I got home, I thought “what??? I have just been using tap water for a month and I don”t trust Tacoma water”.

I find water in the larger towns to be horrible to drink but perfectly safe. From fountains along the way, water tastes much better and once again perfectly safe. I can only pass on this suggestion and since I do not use a bladder, I cant say its true. After many miles and weeks, the hydration bladder can have a build up of bacteria causing stomach problems. I personally only use bottles that get a good clean out every few days. It does seem strange does it not that few if any have any problems in the early part of the camino before the germs build up in the equipment. I did once, when my bottle got broken, buy bottled water and reuse the bottle for a few days before disposing of it. Personally, I have never had any problems with the water other than the heavily chlorinated taste in a few places

Yours is a useful thought to bring up and I hope the following might be helpful. What you have mentioned is a concern which is shared by some folks.

What I can say is that studies have shown that there is no more risk of water bladders/reservoirs having contamination issues than reusable water bottles. The same conditions exist for either container. The only demonstrable risk for either hydration/water bladders or non-disposable bottles, is from putting contaminated water into the container without proper filtration, or from keeping water stored in the container for several days without a freshwater exchange, or for prolonged storage without properly preparing the container.

To properly prepare a container for storage:
  1. Rinse thoroughly. Fill with water.
  2. Add regular bleach at a concentration appropriate for the amount of water the bladder or bottle will hold -- usually no more than 1/2 teaspoon -- or use commercially available water bladder disinfecting tablets, or even a denture cleaning tablet. Let the solution sit for 10 minutes or according to instructions on the product label.
  3. Rinse once.
  4. With the bladder or bottle open, allow to air dry.
  5. If the water bladder or bottle is clear, alternatively one can use the sun's UV radiation to sterilize the container while it is open and being allowed to dry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't buy bottled water, last thing the Camino needs is more plastic littering the way! Tapwater in Spain is safe to drink and they do a lot of work to label safe drinking sources on the way.

Only problem with water I have ever had is when I ran out of water on the Vdlp and stuck my head into a stock trough to cool off... Mistakenly drank from the spigot before I remembered that stock water goes from one trough to another and so definitely not safe. Spent the next few days worse for wear before I came right.

Finished our Camino Leon to SDC July 9 and was in Spain June 20 -July 17 and never had an issue with tap or potable fountain water.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yours is a useful thought to bring up and I hope the following might be helpful. What you have mentioned is a concern which is shared by some folks.

What I can say is that studies have shown that there is no more risk of water bladders/reservoirs having contamination issues than reusable water bottles. The same conditions exist for either container. The only demonstrable risk for either hydration/water bladders or non-disposable bottles, is from putting contaminated water into the container without proper filtration, or from keeping water stored in the container for several days without a freshwater exchange, or for prolonged storage without properly preparing the container.

To properly prepare a container for storage:
  1. Rinse thoroughly. Fill with water.
  2. Add regular bleach at a concentration appropriate for the amount of water the bladder or bottle will hold -- usually no more than 1/2 teaspoon -- or use commercially available water bladder disinfecting tablets, or even a denture cleaning tablet. Let the solution sit for 10 minutes or according to instructions on the product label.
  3. Rinse once.
  4. With the bladder or bottle open, allow to air dry.
  5. If the water bladder or bottle is clear, alternatively one can use the sun's UV radiation to sterilize the container while it is open and being allowed to dry.
Unfortunately, I have never met a pilgrim carrying bleach or sterilization tablets. Most of those I have met never even think of thoroughly rinsing their bottles. As for bladders, how do you clean out the tubes on the Camino. As I said, I cant say one way or another as I never use a bladder but the problems do only seem to start some way into the camino and seldom at the start. On my first camino, I used aluminium bottles and never thought about washing them out. It did me no harm but when it was pointed out to me that bacteria could be building up in them, I have made a habit of thoroughly rinsing my equipment every couple of days

Unfortunately, I have never met a pilgrim carrying bleach or sterilization tablets. Most of those I have met never even think of thoroughly rinsing their bottles. As for bladders, how do you clean out the tubes on the Camino. As I said, I cant say one way or another as I never use a bladder but the problems do only seem to start some way into the camino and seldom at the start. On my first camino, I used aluminium bottles and never thought about washing them out. It did me no harm but when it was pointed out to me that bacteria could be building up in them, I have made a habit of thoroughly rinsing my equipment every couple of days

I can definitely understand your concerns and thinking on this issue. :)

:) You don't need to carry bleach or tablets, although the tablets are easy to carry and weigh nothing, if one were so inclined. Getting a tiny bit of bleach at from a laundry room is no big deal if one were to want to. And unless you are going to store the bladder, they really do not need disinfecting treatment, anyway -- unless you made a mistake of putting contaminated, non potable water in the bottle or bladder. Any risk of bacterial growth comes from long storage of stagnant water --- and neither of those conditions apply to either backpackers or camino walkers. The water is constantly flowing and being replaced.

As you did with your bottle, I rinse mine out at the end of the day. Doing so, and then draining the water tube, takes about 60 seconds.

The same for the mouth pieces and tube -- water is frequently flowing through.

As to your observation of when problems occur, let me make two primary observations:

1. Correlation does not equal causation.

2. There are many potential causes for the problems you have observed, and based on my experiences in public health and as a backpacker and as a pilgrim, the simplest and direct causation is likely poor hygiene. As the day to day walking continues with infrequent places to wash hands, that is a source for illness.
Also .... With constant exposure in close quarters to people from all over the world, that is a potential source of illness. With all of the variety of eating establishments -- from fancy restaurants to bars to alburgues to food wagons, where food preparation and food holding are unknown quantities, that is a potential for illness. People filling bottles or bladders from contaminated sources, not understanding or seeing warning signs, is a potential for illness. The practice of purchasing and carrying perishable items in a pack, in the heat, for a lunch or a snack hours after purchase, is a potential source of illness.

Research has shown that bottles and bladders are not at risk of significant bacterial growth when in regular use. During my career at our health district, I had opportunity to have our lab do testing of backpacking water containers after various conditions of use and non use. I have not been able to find any significant real-world concern with continued bladder or bottle usage over a long period of time.

Also, keep in mind that the same disinfecting treatments used in sanitary water supplies does have a residual effect in keeping pathogens at bay IF no contaminated water has been placed in the container.

When I return from a backpacking trip, and when I returned home from Camino, cleaning and running a disinfectant thru the bladder and tube and then setting it out for drying prior to storage takes about 5 minutes. When I need it again, it is all set and ready to go. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my working life including an involvement in food standards issues, testing showed in the majority of cases treated tap water was of superior quality to bought bottled water. I understand this to be true in Spain as well as here in Australia. While my involvement was some time ago, a recent report, looking at a range of popular bottled waters, iterated these findings.

What's disturbing is some of the substances found naturally in these waters were not too good, and in some cases at levels which could endanger health.For example some people who were anti-fluoride were buying waters which had naturally occurring levels of fluoride well above those found in treated tap water, and some bottled waters had substances at levels which could damage teeth enamel. And so on.

Analysis of one of the more expensive bottled brands showed results exactly the same as tap water, so guess where that came from?

Unless local water supplies are extremely dubious, don't waste your money on this stuff.

De colores

Bogong

You do not need to buy bottled water. You can refill your supply at alburge's or pension's or the portable water in village squares. I did all of the above without a hitch.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don’t know if the OP is from the US, but a lot of questions about drinkable water come from the US. I am by no means a water expert, but I would rather take my chances with Spanish tap water than US tap water any day. I think we in the US are still living in the bubble world in which the federal government spent huge amounts of money to keep the drinking supply safe. That is no longer the case, and my water quality friends tell me that Flint is just the tip of the iceberg. But more to the OP’s point, I would say that drinking Spanish tap water is perfectly safe.

For what it is worth, our experience on CF 2018 was that we drank from a refillable water bottles, filled from albergues or municipal fountains/taps where it is was clear from signage that the water quality was potable.

Mild dose of gastro in first couple of days, but that is not unusual when venturing into new territory, readily fixed with a couple of gastro-blocker pills. Bought bottled water only for a leg where Briefly advised to stock up on water as there were few shops/fountains on the day.

Buying bottled water is unnecessary, wasteful and expensive, as well as potentially generating littler (and we say enough of that)...

This seems like a pretty easy issue to deal with -- bring a refillable water bottle with a filtration system for protozoa and bacteria like LifeStraw or SurviMate for peace of mind and be done with it. Some on here are saying that's overkill, but seriously, if the OP is being encouraged to use a refillable water bottle, why not let that person have the extra peace of mind of getting one with the super-filter and call it good? Necessary or not to others, it will bring more calm to those of us who are more susceptible to tummy troubles. It could be required or it could be just a placebo effect, but so long as it's a refillable water container (which we all agree is the best idea) what does it matter to anyone else? This thread is reminding me of an encounter I had with an American male pilgrim around Sahagun. He asked what that thing was sticking down into my water bottle, and when I told him he shared his "opinion" with me about how unnecessary it was, waste of money, don't be so scared of everything, etc etc. He was definitely trying to "shame" or humiliate me for being such a "scared American" -- but in the end, why was it even his business? My water bottle wasn't hurting anyone. OP, just go buy a LifeStraw/SurviMate and feel better about the water you put in your bottle, especially in those open village fountains. Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This seems like a pretty easy issue to deal with -- bring a refillable water bottle with a filtration system for protozoa and bacteria like LifeStraw or SurviMate for peace of mind and be done with it. Some on here are saying that's overkill, but seriously, if the OP is being encouraged to use a refillable water bottle, why not let that person have the extra peace of mind of getting one with the super-filter and call it good? Necessary or not to others, it will bring more calm to those of us who are more susceptible to tummy troubles. It could be required or it could be just a placebo effect, but so long as it's a refillable water container (which we all agree is the best idea) what does it matter to anyone else? This thread is reminding me of an encounter I had with an American male pilgrim around Sahagun. He asked what that thing was sticking down into my water bottle, and when I told him he shared his "opinion" with me about how unnecessary it was, waste of money, don't be so scared of everything, etc etc. He was definitely trying to "shame" or humiliate me for being such a "scared American" -- but in the end, why was it even his business? My water bottle wasn't hurting anyone. OP, just go buy a LifeStraw/SurviMate and feel better about the water you put in your bottle, especially in those open village fountains. Buen camino!

I can understand your point of view, and there is validity to your personal anecdote as it relates to a decision which you had made, and to which someone was questioning the validity of your decision.

I apologize if I am missing what you are reading, but I guess I am not seeing that same analogy in this thread :) The OP initiated this thread specifically asking for information, and as one purpose of the Forum is to help with information and knowledge, a variety of opinion and information was shared. Included in this information were mechanical filtration options.

I think we agree that it is up to the OP to decide the best course of action to take after reviewing the information and opinions which she requested. :)

Another aspect of this type of thread which, surprisingly, pops up rather frequently is the concern over the general safety of Spain's sanitation standards as it applies to water. It is surprising how many new members seeking advice do not know how safe and good the Spanish water system is. In helping folks decide what they want to do about methods of carrying water, informing folks on the reliability of Spain's water supply seems a good thing to do.

I agree that the OP should feel free to choose her course of action without being made to feel defensive about that decision. But would you agree that it is a helpful and good thing for her to have as much pertinent information as possible?

Again, my apologies for any misreading or misunderstanding on my part. :oops:

So sorry. I didn't mean to come off as being rude or calling anyone else out for being rude. Perhaps I am still suffering the lingering effects of encounters with a few fellow pilgrims who insisted on telling me I'm "doing it wrong" -- and I was thinking the water conversation was starting to lean into the "your camino must be like X" philosophy. I truly didn't mean for anyone to think I was speaking specifically to them. Carry on!

There is more seafood served the last 100km. I wonder if that is more suspect. Also lemon wedges cut with unclean knives, and they sit out on the counter. I filled my water bottle (stainless -reusable) daily. My straw got a bit dirty so I cleaned it. There are many studies. I didn’t spend a lot of effort looking, but I’d avoid lemon in your coke or water, or squeezed on your seafood. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4659168

With regards to lemons. We actually buy one or two each day when we daily. Great source of vitamin C and many other benefits. We scrub the outside and wipe dry. Research suggests that wiping dry removes more of the bacteria than just washing. Then, I cut them into four quarters. I never immerse them into any drink with skin on them. We just squeeze the juice into the water, sometimes make lemonade, or iced tea with lemon, or just flavor the water and leave the skins and throw the skins in the garbage and leave them on the plate. When one gets tired of plain water, I frequently order hot tea, ask for ice in a glass and make fresh ice tea and add the lemon.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spain shares the same Western European culture and infrastructure as France, Germany and Italy. It is not like Mexico, even though they share a more similar language.

I drink the tap water in Spain, but absolutely not in Mexico.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.