• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water Requirements

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I don't normally take as great deal of water during the hiking day, possibly around 1 ltd. I have noted that previous VDLP pilgrims advocate taking 2-3 ptrs, I also note that July and August are mentioned which will be the hottest part of the year.
I will be walking during Feb/Mar, I guess my question is, will I need to increase my water carrying capacity.

Just to give you an idea of my intake, I did a 22 mile hike yesterday and consumed about 1 ltr and at no point did I feel or get dehydrated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always walk with at least 2 liters of water. I store this in 4 x .5 liter ubiquitous (and free) water bottles. This allows me to arrange the bottles in various ways around my rucksack and harness.

The water bottles conveniently come already filled with water..:) I reuse them until they are too gross to do so. Then I recycle them and replace them. It works for me.

Hope this helps.

I would say that only you know your body and it is indeed a personal choice as to how much water you carry however, with that being said your body does not always show signs of dehydration until its too late. I would say for you err on the side of caution. I think you’re are using an enormous of amount of calories and sweating out an enormous amount of water day to day. You can get dehydrated in cold as well as heat because your body needs the fluids to function properly especially on a hardous day to day hike. I am not a doctor but was a medic in the military I can’t tell you how many times I have seen someone who didnt drink enough water then 30 minutes later pass out cold or get dizzy due to dehydration. I think if you ask the question you already think your normal amount of water consumption may not be enough. My two cents : Err on the side of caution, listen to your body and you can’t go wrong. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only thing that I would add to the sage advice on this thread is that resources are fewer and far between on the VDLP then the Frances. I carried a .75 liter bottle on the Frances and I was never in need of water because there was always a store, fountain, café, and now multiple food and snack trucks (which I'm slightly torn on their worth because they're starting to become eye sores), but I carried the same .75 liter bottle on the VDLP in February, and though I was not crawling on my hands and knees into town, there were a few days I did get concerned that I was running out of water and did start carrying a small backup bottle.

I don't normally take as great deal of water during the hiking day, possibly around 1 ltd. I have noted that previous VDLP pilgrims advocate taking 2-3 ptrs, I also note that July and August are mentioned which will be the hottest part of the year.
I will be walking during Feb/Mar, I guess my question is, will I need to increase my water carrying capacity.

Just to give you an idea of my intake, I did a 22 mile hike yesterday and consumed about 1 ltr and at no point did I feel or get dehydrated.
Hi Waka
I agree with @Camino Addict above referring to opportunities to refill (I haven’t yet walked Vdlp yet tho, btw ) You may well not need extra water but to answer your question: yes, I’d increase the quantity you walk with for safety. You can tip out surplus if you don’t use it; but it doesn’t work the other way !
Have another great camino
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back