• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water reservoir/bladder?

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
I don’t know how to do a poll but my question is? Yes or no? 😀

To explain: I have only ever used plastic bottles which I re-filled and then disposed of/recycled.
I have now been given - free- a ‘hydraulics reservoir’ with my new pack. Weighs 0.16 kgs (5.6 oz), 1.5 L.
Is it worth taking on my next Camino or should I stick to bottles???

Thanks! 🙂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

To explain: I have only ever used plastic bottles which I re-filled and then disposed of/recycled.
I have now been given - free- a ‘hydraulics reservoir’ with my new pack. Weighs 0.16 kgs (5.6 oz), 1.5 L.

Thanks! 🙂
I vote for your “Used Plastic then Recycle” option.
An empty plastic .5L Coca Cola bottle weighs only 26g, is my reason ... plus easier to clean ... need water for an hour, carry one ... hot day.. carry 2 or 3.
Flexible = good

Thanks! 🙂
Stick to bottles. You will see when the bottles are close to empty, and can refill. The bladder in your backpack will be empty without you knowing it. Stay with the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. No offense.intended. You will also reduce weight that way.

And if you shave your legs you will further reduce on weight... ;):cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Plus side:
Hydration systems are an advantage if you are a runner/fast walker or walking in hot conditions. Maybe helpful on the de la Plata or in mid Summer on the Frances. Its easier to stay fully hydrated by taking frequent small sips.

Downside:
Refilling the bladder of a hydration system is usually slightly more complex than refilling a simple water bottle. Also, after refilling, I find that I need to partly empty my pack to re-insert the bladder properly. If you fail to seal the bladder correctly, you will have a very wet pack.

At home I DO use a hydration system because I walk fast on hard routes, usually in hot humid conditions. On the Frances I plan to just carry a bottle.

For those who get intense over this issue, similar to discussion on trekking poles, there is NO right way or wrong way; there is only what someone personally finds the most preferable to use.

This is to dispel myths which are commonly used to try and claim that reservoirs are either less sanitary to use, or are less easy to use than bottles.

I'm NOT doing this to suggest that I ,and others who prefer reservoirs, are right; I am doing this to preempt those who misstate facts to claim that using hydration reservoirs is the WRONG way to go.

1. Sanitation. Bottles have no advantage. Reservoirs stay as sanitary. They do not require cleaning every day, nor do they need to be dried. As with plumbing, it is the change of water that keeps things fresh. With normal use, both bladders and bottles are constantly refilled and emptied That keeps them sanitary UNLESS contaminated water is introduced, or other fluids with sugars (juices, energy drinks, soda pop, etc) are put into either storage container.

When it is time to store bottles or bladders, they can be sanitized if desired with a bit of bleach added to the final rinse water during cleaning. It is not necessary to do so, but there is no harm in doing so. Then they can be rinsed out and be allowed to dry.

Molds and other nasty things occur if either container is stored with water over a period of time, or have contained other fluids which might have sugars and not properly washed out prior to long term storage..

2. Ease of Use I find it personally easier to raise the mouth tube on my shoulder strap to drink from. I do not like to reach around to a side pocket, or even need to take off my pack to do so. I definitely do NOT like stuff hanging on my shoulder straps like bottles of water.

Again, this is personal preference, not an issue of something being 'better'. Access water bottles is not an issue of usability for bottle users.

3. Weight Here is where two major claims are made, one is correct and the other is not.

A typical empty 2 liter reservoir weighs around 4 ounces. The equivalent in bottles around 1.5 to 3 ounces. Depending on bottle material used, though, bottles can weigh up to 8 ounces.

So while it is correct that bottles can weigh less, it is not a significant issue in consideration of overall backpack weight.

The other issue is capacity and weight.
No, one does not have to fill a reservoir to the tippy top. I will carry as much water as I need to carry from water source to water source. So in that regard, regardless of container used, water weight is related to the individual's decision and NOT on container capacities.

4. Refills This is actually a subheading under ease of use, but it is frequently pointed to as why bottles are better than reservoirs.

I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. Nope, one does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. It is a matter of using a quick disconnect system which is a simple and cheap add on.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I left off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket. Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

So those are the major issues that always seem to come up. There are other myths, but those are the major ones.

While I used to use bottles and hated the thought of using a reservoir, up until 5 years ago, There will be other bottle enthusiasts that can give you their insight and take on the issue. Hopefully all of the input helps with the decision. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used both and now stay with the simple bottles..... Whilst I would have lots of issues with hydration systems I seem to loose the bottles at an alarming rate.... Bit difficult to lose a hydration system.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stick to bottles. You will see when the bottles are close to empty, and can refill. The bladder in your backpack will be empty without you knowing it. Stay with the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. No offense.intended. You will also reduce weight that way.

And if you shave your legs you will further reduce on weight... ;):cool:

Two points:

1. My reservoir refill bottle has .5 liters of water in it. It is an emergency cache if needed, so there is no sudden water depletion. If I feel I need to carry 1.5 liters, 1 liter goes in the reservoir, .5 into the bottle.
2. I always add water to my reservoir at resupply points. Especially on warm and hot days, I never assume capacity to get me to the next water resupply.

Plus side:
Hydration systems are an advantage if you are a runner/fast walker or walking in hot conditions. Maybe helpful on the de la Plata or in mid Summer on the Frances. Its easier to stay fully hydrated by taking frequent small sips.

Downside:
Refilling the bladder of a hydration system is usually slightly more complex than refilling a simple water bottle. Also, after refilling, I find that I need to partly empty my pack to re-insert the bladder properly. If you fail to seal the bladder correctly, you will have a very wet pack.

At home I DO use a hydration system because I walk fast on hard routes, usually in hot humid conditions. On the Frances I plan to just carry a bottle.

A quick disconnect allows one to refill without even having to take off a backpack.

We vote for water bladders. We have used one for over 4000 kilometers of walking. We went to southern Utah last fall and decided we would use bottle and hated it. The weight distribution is horrible. The amount of water we carry depends on the weather and distance. We have been short a couple of times but we have always been just a short distance from our destination.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started my frist Camino in 2013 with a 2-liter bladder in my 48-liter Osprey Kestrel. By Pamplona, it was in the post, heading for Santiago. For the next five Caminos, I used half-liter water bottles, 4 of them.

To use the bottles effectively, I developed a rotational system for using plain water, my required 3 doses of nutritional supplement protein powder, and a mixed hydration solution later in the morning to stave off dehydration.

I even specialized in finding the ideal bottle clips to fasten these bottles to the front of my rucksack harness, so I could drink while moving. All the four bottles were on my front, where they could be easily reached.

This served me well for five years. It continues to serve many others I have recommended this approach to. Personally, I maintain this is the best and most felxible solution. But everyone has their preferred option. I respect that.

However, life sometimes intervenes in our best made plans. It is said that 'While man plans...God laughs..." I think it is likely true.

Although I have been obsessed with reducing my carrying weight in my rucksack, nature intervened. While my health is strangely, very good, I do weigh entirely too much. One result of this added effort is consuming more water and a more rapid onset of dehydration.

Yes, I am trying to lose some weight before I hump the rucksack across northern Spain. But, whatever... I am still going to need to drink more water...

So, in an effort to remain vertical, I am adopting a hybrid approach for my coming Camino Primitivo in May. I will still have most of the bottles mentioned before. But, I am adding a 1.5 liter reservoir with tube to my Osprey 38-liter rucksack fit-out this year. This will actually add balance to my load... or at least I think it might...

This will also increase my carried water from 2 liters at start to 3.5 liters at start each morning. Should this prove problematic, I can reduce the number of bottles by 2, without screwing up the system I developed some years back.

Yes, I am aware that one liter = one kilogram of weight. That figure is burned into by brain.

The new Osprey bladder system, weights about half (11 oz vs 6.5 oz) of what the system weighed six years ago. I hope this experience is better than the first time. Hope springs eternal...

Hope this helps...

For the heat of the summer I believe my bladder keeps me better hydrated but when I walk at any other time of year I just use water bottles as they are easier to fill and keep clean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started my frist Camino in 2013 with a 2-liter bladder in my 48-liter Osprey Kestrel. By Pamplona, it was in the post, heading for Santiago. For the next five Caminos, I used half-liter water bottles, 4 of them.

To use the bottles effectively, I developed a rotational system for using plain water, my required 3 doses of nutritional supplement protein powder, and a mixed hydration solution later in the morning to stave off dehydration.

I even specialized in finding the ideal bottle clips to fasten these bottles to the front of my rucksack harness, so I could drink while moving. All the four bottles were on my front, where they could be easily reached.

This served me well for five years. It continues to serve many others I have recommended this approach to. Personally, I maintain this is the best and most felxible solution. But everyone has their preferred option. I respect that.

However, life sometimes intervenes in our best made plans. It is said that 'While man plans...God laughs..." I think it is likely true.

Although I have been obsessed with reducing my carrying weight in my rucksack, nature intervened. While my health is strangely, very good, I do weigh entirely too much. One result of this added effort is consuming more water and a more rapid onset of dehydration.

Yes, I am trying to lose some weight before I hump the rucksack across northern Spain. But, whatever... I am still going to need to drink more water...

So, in an effort to remain vertical, I am adopting a hybrid approach for my coming Camino Primitivo in May. I will still have most of the bottles mentioned before. But, I am adding a 1.5 liter reservoir with tube to my Osprey 38-liter rucksack fit-out this year. This will actually add balance to my load... or at least I think it might...

This will also increase my carried water from 2 liters at start to 3.5 liters at start each morning. Should this prove problematic, I can reduce the number of bottles by 2, without screwing up the system I developed some years back.

Yes, I am aware that one liter = one kilogram of weight. That figure is burned into by brain.

The new Osprey bladder system, weights about half (11 oz vs 6.5 oz) of what the system weighed six years ago. I hope this experience is better than the first time. Hope springs eternal...

Hope this helps...
They make contraptions that connect bottles to a tube with a bite-switch that might be the best of both likes/dislikes

They make contraptions that connect bottles to a tube with a bite-switch that might be the best of both likes/dislikes

I actually tried that in 2015. Did not work for me. I am scrupulous about weight. These add on contraptions might work for some, but not for me. They introduced complexity to a plain plastic water bottle. They also added weight. After one attempt using this, actually after a few days, it too went down the road to Ivar.

Returning to plastic bottles, only, worked until more recent health considerations compelled carrying more water... beyond four half-liter bottles it becomes unwieldy, IMHO. Hence, I am once again trying the Osprey integral bladder.

My rucksack is kitted out to support the bladder system. And, if it does not work as I think, the added weight 6.5 ounces will not kill me... I hope...

We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Using the bladder filled with 1.5/2 L of water , do you not find that the water starts getting walmer and then not so refreshing any more ?

Definitely prefer bladder over bottles. I hate having to stop to pull out a bottle and stop to drink. With the tube and I can just suck water as I continue to walk. The quick disconnect makes refilling super fast. I can always tell when I 'm running low because 1) I can feel the difference in weight, 2) I know how much I drink and how often I need to refill. I carry a 3 liter and just refill when I'm down to 1 liter, but I walk more remote routes.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.