• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water-Resistant or Not?

JustRob

Amidst all the questions about footwear, I haven't seen any information as to whether it is important for trail shoes to be water resistant or not.

Let me preface this by saying that I've hiked through rivers with leather boots and wool socks and walked until they were dry. Not the optimal plan, but no major problems that I recall. Heck, my friend in the Canadian Army does it on a regualr basis.

I'm looking at a pair of trail shoes (New Balance 907) that are nearly identical to the best pair of sneakers I've ever had (New Balance 758), but have no water resistance whatsoever. I own low gaiters if that would help.

If water resistance is important, I'm looking at either Aisics Gel Eagle Trail or Asics Gel Trabuco.

Trying to find good sandals is a pain, too. I like the Chaco T1 because the straps hold well and they dry quickly. Unfortunately, they're heavy and the footbed is shaped funny for my foot, making for a tough fit.

Not a fan of Tevas because the straps take forever to dry. Bite sandals slip too much in the straps to interest me much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rob, I think it depends on the season when you will walk. There will we need for waterresitent shoes in summer, but in spring or fall, this may look different.
I am planing to walk in April 07 and I'm expecting rain and wet ways at this time. My plan is to take a pair of waterresitent hiking boots and a pair of sneaker or sandals with me. As I know from earlier hiking trips, I prefer the boots as my standard shoe and take the sandals/sneaker as a backup and for the morning/evening time. Usually I do not walk in sandals overdays. I don't like to have wet feet, since I get blisters very quickly.

Thomas

I agree with Nepumuk - the season you walk will probably dictate which way to go. I walked the in the heat of summer (July) and wore my Chacos everyday and they served me fine. They've "redesigned" Chaco's lately, and are significantly lighter than they have been previously. I'm not sure what the T1 model is, but I was plesantly surprised when I picked up a new pair and noted the difference.

To give my feet a break from the elements, I had a pair of Columbia trail runners that suited me well. A little bit on the heavy side, but after hours of wearing Chacos, it was nice to have them to wear and cover my foot completely.

My mother walked in a pair of Keens and swore by them too, so that might be something to look into. A hybrid perhaps of my method!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear all

I had a meindl http://www.meindl.de/ goretex xcr and a breathable gaiters . Without these , i would have been walking with wet feet. The weather was so wet for the first 3 days, i was wet all over but my feet,

I bought the shoes because they fit good and they were on sale.

I was advised against goretex. but i stand by it. I used coolmax liners , bridgedale all wool socks and massaged my feet with vaseline. That made sure, I had no blisters at all for 160 kms from Pedrafita to Santiago.

I am not sure , if the weather is hot and sunny

Regards

Hi all

In september, I had gore-tex ECCO shoes, cool-max liner socks and thin woolen socks on top. I walked in 40 degrees on the meseta, and in 6 degrees and rainstorm on o cebreiro. In fact, a lot of rain in all of Galicia.

I had dry feet, not too warm - and no blisters !

Wet feet = blisters :cry:

Liv :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.