• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water sources on the Camino del Norte between Gijon and Santiago de Compostela

F

Former member 91017

I am not generally concerned about water in Spain... and I am *really* not worried as I move along the coast on the Norte this spring, but what happens in the spring run-off season when I turn southward to SdC from Gijon?
Even where I live, in Canada, because of ranching on the higher ground, I don't drink run-off water or spring water, or fountain water until I have put it through my filter and then into mu UV bottle. Are most of the fountains after Gijon, "Sin garantita"? If so, then carrying the weight of my UV bottle will be worth it.
Thanks for anyone with recent knowledge of that particular stretch.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not generally concerned about water in Spain... and I am *really* not worried as I move along the coast on the Norte this spring, but what happens in the spring run-off season when I turn southward to SdC from Gijon?
Even where I live, in Canada, because of ranching on the higher ground, I don't drink run-off water or spring water, or fountain water until I have put it through my filter and then into mu UV bottle. Are most of the fountains after Gijon, "Sin garantita"? If so, then carrying the weight of my UV bottle will be worth it.
Thanks for anyone with recent knowledge of that particular stretch.
The Norte after GijĂłn mainly goes through well-populated areas so I'd be inclined to rely more on tap water from bars, the albergues you stay in etc. That is what we did anyway. Public fountains are usually connected to the mains supply, i.e. they are tap water. They are probably OK unless there is a 'non potable' sign. If you are worried about tap water quality, why not use water sterilising tablets? They work and are much less cumbersome than UV bottles and filters.

The Norte after GijĂłn mainly goes through well-populated areas so I'd be inclined to rely more on tap water from bars, the albergues you stay in etc. That is what we did anyway. Public fountains are usually connected to the mains supply, i.e. they are tap water. They are probably OK unless there is a 'non potable' sign. If you are worried about tap water quality, why not use water sterilising tablets? They work and are much less cumbersome than UV bottles and filters.
Thanks… good to know that there are enough bars and such. I actually loathe water, and I know it it sounds goofy, but I have an anxiety I just can’t kick about tablets in my drink. At any rate, I won’t need the UV bottle so that saves me a few ounces. THANKS.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks… good to know that there are enough bars and such. I actually loathe water, and I know it it sounds goofy, but I have an anxiety I just can’t kick about tablets in my drink. At any rate, I won’t need the UV bottle so that saves me a few ounces. THANKS.
I know what you mean. If I can, I buy a lemon and squeeze it into my (wide-mouthed) water bottle before I fill it to improve the taste.

The Norte after GijĂłn mainly goes through well-populated areas so I'd be inclined to rely more on tap water from bars, the albergues you stay in etc. That is what we did anyway. Public fountains are usually connected to the mains supply, i.e. they are tap water.
I can think of maybe one time on all of my Caminos that I used one of the public fountains. I fill my water bladder in the morning in the albergue or pensiĂłn where I am staying, then I drink orange juice, water or a soft drink when I stop for meals. My water bladder holds 2 liters, but I rarely fill it all the way.

I can think of maybe one time on all of my Caminos that I used one of the public fountains. I fill my water bladder in the morning in the albergue or pensiĂłn where I am staying, then I drink orange juice, water or a soft drink when I stop for meals. My water bladder holds 2 liters, but I rarely fill it all the way.
I won't be taking my bladder this time... I just really don't like the messing around with the tubes, the elastics on my mask, my glasses... it seems like I'm always *stuck* or *hung up* on something.
Typically, I drink milk and buy a litre in the morning, perhaps 2.
But I was thinking that when I turn south it might be less well-serviced for tiendas or supermercados (though I've been known to pay a hotel dining room or a bar whatever they ask for a carton).
At any rate, seems like I can grab my small bottle from home... just a re-usable plastic one and be "good to go"... and I'll have 12 Nuun tablets with me with the electrolytes and caffeine blend only for those rare occasions (I hope) when I leave town before the bars open for my morning coffee. I really dislike the Nuuns, but I learned last spring not to go for a jaunt without enough electrolytes (which I usually get from my milk and banana). It's my one "hope not to need, but if I need it I really want to have it *thing*).

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I need electrolytes so carry some Nuuns tablets. But I much prefer to buy an ice cold bottle of Aquarius or Powerade once a day. I have filled my water bottle from every fountain I have passed on the del Norte.
Unless it said non-potable. I also like to buy an ice cold bottle of water from every bar I enter to get coffee and guzzle it right down. Yes, too much plastic but sometimes the water is in a small glass bottle. Delightful. Buen Camino

Water sources are readily available throughout the Norte route.......

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back