• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water sources along Camino del Norte?

benkika

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
Just curious, for those who have completed this Camino, are the many streams/ fresh water sources along the route? I want to know if it’s worth taking my mini water filter. Also, as I’m going to be taking my tent and camping for the majority of the Camino, (staying in a hostel/ hotel maybe once a week), I want to know if there will be streams to wash my clothes in or if I will have to use seawater. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Benkika, welcome to this forum.

It's not evident from your questions how much research you have done on the Norte but some more is encouraged. While there are rivers and streams that you'll cross I'd not be inclined to drink from any of them, mini-water-filter notwithstanding. You can rely on the public fuentes, especially those you see the locals drinking from.

You are possibly not aware that significant stretches of the Norte are urban or semi-urban in nature and that wild (free) camping is illegal in Asturias, in any National Park and in quite a few other circumstances.

As for washing your clothes in streams? See my comment above on drinking from them.

Washing your clothes in seawater? What do you propose to rinse them in? Or are you happy with salt-burn from your underwear?

There are many streams, but probably not drinkable. I don’t think you’d need to carry a water filter though, as there are also many cafes and bars that would probably fill up your water bottles for you if you asked nicely (tap water is drinkable), plus the water fountains along the way.

Rather than stay in a hostel once a week make it twice a week, and then you can wash your clothes then. Buen camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just curious, for those who have completed this Camino, are the many streams/ fresh water sources along the route? I want to know if it’s worth taking my mini water filter. Also, as I’m going to be taking my tent and camping for the majority of the Camino, (staying in a hostel/ hotel maybe once a week), I want to know if there will be streams to wash my clothes in or if I will have to use seawater. Thank you!
The Norte isn’t a thru-hike like the Appalachian Trail, that is I wouldn’t consider it a camping trip. I saw a tent once in 2018. I don’t think the locals would look kindly on camping unless it’s a pay campground. Filtering water: forget it. There are plenty of towns to refill a bottle. Hostels are inexpensive. Support the locals; they need the income.

Last edited:
To find out about water supplies along the Camino Norte, and quite a few other Caminos, there is a Vlogger on Youtube, Efrén Gonzaléz, who has all of it figured out.

If you follow him, his vlogs provide a wealth of information, first hand, that he compiles as he goes, and the reports.He just finished Via Podiensis and is presently in the shadow of Mt. Everest in Nepal.

Over time, I have seen him go from store bought water (and the thin bottle purchased with the water, to a complete bag of tools for safe water supply that includes a Life Straw, a 1L container and a UV Water Bottle.

But go to his channel, search his name. He has done the Camino Del Norte and I believe he provides a map of water sources.

Be aware that in many places, river water in Spain is polluted by agriculture activities/fertilizers//manure. I would not trust any river. Drink from (aqua potable (drinkable water)) fountains and tap water from bars/your living place.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done the del Norte four times (why not? it's great). There are only a very few spots in the Basque country and Asturias where this would even cross my mind, and I would never ever ever ever drink from these streams. In Spain, camping on private land without permission is against the law, and some landowners are very persnickety-- others don't care. In my four times I think I have only seen campers on a half-dozen occasions.

Some albergues permit setting up tents on their properties and you can use their showers and washing facilities. That may be your best bet. As far as water goes, there are enough fuentes and I found that bars and cafés were very helpful with refilling. The Spanish are wonderful hosts.

Others have given you very good advice. This is a special part of our planet-- enjoy it.

I can only agree with the previous comments - never had a problem finding drinking water on the Norte. Having said that, there are sometimes fair distances between potable water sources, particularly on legs where there are long stretches through the mountains, so make sure you have enough storage capacity to cover these.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just drink beer. ;)

In all seriousness, you'll find water sources, fountains and such, though always carry extra if you plan on a long day - JUST IN CASE! Cafe and restaurant owners will happily fill up your bottle.
Don't camp. I've written about this before. Just don't. That is, of course, unless it's in a designated area! There are pilgrim hostels set up, some on a donation basis, and private ones if you want a bit more privacy or luxury. It'll become a 'monkey see / monkey do' sort scenario. Before we know it, tents will be dotting the entire way.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.